Home PCGS Set Registry Forum

Anyone up for some Roosie Talk? - Thread #4

StoogeStooge Posts: 4,639 ✭✭✭✭✭

Now that Nick has sold the ATF #1 silver Roosevelt dime set, he asked me a couple of weeks ago to please start another thread in this series of Roosevelt dime discussions. As always you may add to any of the other 3 threads if you like but this one will be current.

Nick, again congrats on an incredible set. Hopefully the new owner will chime in and join the talk!

I'm still working on my silver set, as it is not quite done, but hopefully I will list it sometime this year. I'll keep you posted with an update soon.

Later, Paul.

Comments

• labloverlablover Posts: 3,590 ✭✭✭✭✭

Last night I was thinking about Nick selling his set. I'm delighted for both seller and buyer, but was wondering where one gains the most pleasure: spending the time to actually build the set, or buying one outright?

Now, there is nothing wrong buying one outright, it's wonderful someone has the resources to do so. I remember selling my (and partners) former #1 NGC Set. I spent a number of years building it, and there might just be a few of those former coins that crossed/upgraded to Nicks PCGS Set. Boy, it was fun building.

Anyway, thoughts on this?

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers
  • StoogeStooge Posts: 4,639 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 5, 2017 11:56AM

Lablover,

I spent 7yrs building a complete set of clads. Nick made me a deal to buy my entire set and I never looked back. I quit collecting coins at that time and even left these boards for about 6-7yrs as I went down the street to collect baseball cards which I still do to this day. It was fun for me to chase dimes, but became too much of an obsession as I was always worrying if someone would get a dime before me, or if I would fall in the ranks, etc....

Something brought me back to collecting dimes. Nick can attest that after you sell a set, something brings you back. I now collect for just the love of it and ended up building a decent set for me. I still have tons of holes, and I also have tons of dupes. I buy/make coins because I like them. I don't care if I already have 14 of the same coin. If 1 comes along and I like it, I will buy it. At some point I will get to 100%. Not sure when, but really don't care if it takes another 7yrs. I will add my set when it is complete.

As far as buying a set outright, I have never done that, so you will have to ask Nick as he has bought a few here and there. I prefer to build it 1-2 at a time.

It's the "Thrill of the hunt"

Later, Paul.
  • onlyroosiesonlyroosies Posts: 3,281 ✭✭✭✭

I would say my biggest thrill was recognizing under-graded coins and then getting them up-graded. I felt that I built that set by way of slabbing (up-grading) many of those coins myself including the 47S 68+FB, 54S 68FB, 55P 67+FB, 57P 67+FB and many more. I also enjoyed crossing great coins in NGC holders to PCGS. like the 53P 68FB, 61D 68FB, 56D 67+FB, 63P 67+FB and several more. There are probably only around 15 coins in that set that are still as I bought them.

After I bought Paul's clad set I added a few and then sold the set to Dan Close, He continued to build it and told me it was one of the most enjoyable collecting experience's he has had collecting coins. about 18 months ago I purchased the clad set back from him and continued to build upon it the best way I know how. Through up-grades. I've been able to add 8 up-grates to the set and continuing to build upon it. It has given me great satisfaction and great enjoyment. Since Buying Dan's clad set it has become a thrill for me.

Paul, Your original clad set is still the foundation of the "Almighty Dimes" All Time Finest clad set today.

@onlyroosies said:
    After I bought Paul's clad set I added a few and then sold the set to Dan Close, He continued to build it and told me it was one of the most enjoyable collecting experience's he has had collecting coins. about 18 months ago I purchased the clad set back from him and continued to build upon it the best way I know how. Through up-grades. I've been able to add 8 up-grates to the set and continuing to build upon it. It has given me great satisfaction and great enjoyment. Since Buying Dan's clad set it has become a thrill for me.

Paul, Your original clad set is still the foundation of the "Almighty Dimes" All Time Finest clad set today.

Nick, I really appreciate the comments.

You bought Dan Holmes big time clad set right after mine. He had the '68-D 8FB and the '69-D 7FB he made himeself. He always had a fabulous eye for early clads. I wish he would chime in like he used too.

I'm looking to eclipse my old clad set someday. Some dates I will easily, but others such as the '67 in 8FB, probably not. I'm still missing the '96-W 8FB if you can believe that and the '99-'04 run. So far I've seen none that I like for the grade. I believe these can be made in 8+FB or even a 9FB.

Later, Paul.

I didn't buy Dan Holmes set. He did allow me to cherry pick the coins I wanted out of it. Value wise I believe they were the bulk of his set. The 68D 8FB and 69D 7FB are still in the set, and of course your 67 8FB is still there too.

@onlyroosies said:
    I didn't buy Dan Holmes set. He did allow me to cherry pick the coins I wanted out of it. Value wise I believe they were the bulk of his set. The 68D 8FB and 69D 7FB are still in the set, and of course your 67 8FB is still there too.

Somewhere I thought you bought his set. It has been a long time and my memory isn't the same. He did have a great set though.

Later, Paul.
    edited April 17, 2017 3:29AM

Does anyone here know about this coin:

1946-S/S 10C RPM FS-503, MS67FB pop (1/0)

Later, Paul.

@Pokeplayer101 said:

Does anybody know what happened to Jim Green? He has not gotten back to two of my emails, I first wrote 2 weeks ago.

Been in the woods, now out. Never received your email(s) that I can recall. Did receive one a few days ago and will reply shortly.

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers

Paul, I saw that coin in coin facts and was wondering about it too.

• cointimecointime Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭✭✭

There are some awesome silvers posted in here. Here are a couple clads I just had re-graded and TV

@cointime said:

This is one of the nicest 8FB's I've seen in quite some time.

Possible 8+ candidate???

Anyone have any current Roosie news and/or new acquisitions?

I picked up this 2015-D 8FB for $69
    photo s-l160000000_zpsbjmupe7h.jpeg

Later, Paul.
  • rainbowroosierainbowroosie Posts: 4,874 ✭✭✭✭

My latest purchase from a dealer in Napa. Great purple toning.

"You keep your 1804 dollar and 1822 half eagle -- give me rainbow roosies in MS68."
    rainbowroosie April 1, 2003
    edited May 1, 2017 4:57PM

Onlyroosies and Lablover,
    Yes, you should be damn jealous. Next year's FUN is back to a Roosie lovers wine fest.

"You keep your 1804 dollar and 1822 half eagle -- give me rainbow roosies in MS68."

@rainbowroosie said:
    Yes, you should be damn jealous. Next year's FUN is back to a Roosie lovers wine fest.

Can't wait, Yummmmm

@Pokeplayer101 said:
    What is everybody's thought on why the 49 S PC67 FB and 50 S PC68 sold for so little? Personally I thought the 49 S could have easily not been in a Full Bands holder, but it is. I was especially surprised to see the 50 S sell for $250 under what I was expecting it to bring. It looked like a nice coin.

I thought the 49S sold high and the 50S a bit low. I put a $600 number on the 49S for plastic. I expect silver Roosies to be soft for quite some time unless it's a very special coin.

Nick is 100% correct. There are two distinct markets: great stuff and stuff....coins in each market are priced accordingly.

@rainbowroosie said:

Jealous? Have never been on anything, or anybody!

ABACUS, the ZD Reserve Cab is a fantastic wine. The first Pinot I ever tried was a ZD. Great one for the price. Sure hope it's tasty...looking forward to the sharing!

• robecrobec Posts: 6,578 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 5, 2017 7:10AM

@Pokeplayer101 said:
    Does anybody on the forums know who made this coin? It graded MS68 at our hosts. I believe the first try because there's only one TrueView.

Not necessarily true. It could have been cracked out several times. Unless you know the different cert numbers you wouldn't know if other TrueViews exist.

Even if it had been regraded several times while still in the slab the cert number would change, unless it was graded with the Reconsideration service.

• MACGE1MACGE1 Posts: 269 ✭✭✭

https://coins.ha.com/itm/a/1252-7408.s

The coin is actually in an OGH. I bought it out of the auction 2 months ago.

• wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,647 ✭✭✭✭✭

I submitted it the one time as I graded the coin MS68+ (longshot MS69). It will be resubmitted soon. Obviously, that is not a grade PCGS hands out like candy on Halloween. LOL. But, it is far cleaner (and far more attractive) than many MS68 dimes I have encountered in the past. Add to that the near FB and you have one of the greater silver Roosies out there IMHO!

Wondercoin

Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.

Sure is a sweet looking '64 and I like the year :)

@MACGE1 said:
    https://coins.ha.com/itm/a/1252-7408.s

The coin is actually in an OGH. I bought it out of the auction 2 months ago.

@wondercoin said:
    I submitted it the one time as I graded the coin MS68+ (longshot MS69). It will be resubmitted soon. Obviously, that is not a grade PCGS hands out like candy on Halloween. LOL. But, it is far cleaner (and far more attractive) than many MS68 dimes I have encountered in the past. Add to that the near FB and you have one of the greater silver Roosies out there IMHO!

Wondercoin

So, Mitch submitted the coin for MACGE1?

• wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,647 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 6, 2017 12:47AM

MACGE1 never stated above who owns it today ;)

Wondercoin

Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.

If Mitch owns the coin today you can pretty much bet it will end up in either an MS68FB or MS68+ holder. I would have no problem with it in either holder. From a scale of 1 - 10 I give the bands a 2.5. My X-51P 68FB was IMHO 68+FB but also had bands I would rate a 2.5 and that's what held it back. I would rank this coin pretty close to the 1946 NGC MS69* and a tad
    better than the 1947S NGC MS68+. I once have owned both those coins.

• unclebobunclebob Posts: 433 ✭✭✭

Got a bunch of toned BU Roosie's pulled from an album.

Around 30 nice toners in total.

I don't think any are FB.

One "No JS" and maybe two other RPM's.

Do you find the toners make it worth slabbing fees?

A good start for a toned Registry set.

You need to hit 66 or better to break even. Send them economy.

What he said

What we need is some color for the weekend!

Nice dime!

I wasn't aware that QA gave gold stickers...should have guessed. :D

Later, Paul.

based on the finale hammer I figured it should grade at least MS68. The nicest 63D I have ever seen.

• cladkingcladking Posts: 28,307 ✭✭✭✭✭

I just found something interesting. In a box of "junk" there was an '83-P dime roll. The end coins look great and are both clean. The obverse is hammered and the reverse looks OK.

I'm not sure whether to break it open to check for high grades or put it away for a few more years.

I must have gotten it in '84 or '85 pretty cheap or it wouldn't be where I found it.

There's an '82-P roll with it but it's tubed and more typical. I usually spent typical rolls in those days but always had a soft spot for '82-P's.

Tempus fugit.

Unless any are FB spend them

@onlyroosies said:

Are FB's very tough for these dates?

Tempus fugit.

@cladking said:

@onlyroosies said:

Are FB's very tough for these dates?

1980-P/D reverses are some of the worst, most horribly struck reverses in the entire Roosie series....period. With that saod, the mint must have recut the reverses for 1981, because they are some of the nicest and bold reverses for that 10 year period (1978ish-1985).
    1982-P/D had some really nice reverses, not as nice as 1981, but nice if you can find a high grade example. 1983 wasn't any different, other than the fact that it's near impossible to find them.
    Personally, unless you are searching for a single high grade dime from those 2 yrs, I would leave the rolls alone. But if you were to crack and have a really nice high quality piece say 6+FB or higher for the 82, and 6FB for the 83, I would leave them alone.

JMHO

Later, Paul.

@AllCoinsRule said:
    I'm not sure QA gold stickers mean they think it's undergraded. I see those on other rainbow toned coins (that I couldn't ever imagine would upgrade) so I think it might just mean something about the coin is extraordinarily above avg (as in the tone).

Cladking, I sent you a pm with some details about pop/price history of 83-p dimes. Yes, fb is rare < 10 known. I'd be interested in any 83-p dime that I deem better than the one I already own. Heck, I'd buy it raw!

Thanks guys.

I'm leaning toward opening the roll since I'm getting pretty curious. They're going to be real nice but I'm not expecting too much. I'm sure I "owe" someone a nice specimen from it.

I'll have a little time this evening.

It probably would hurt to stabilize the coins in acetone and get them in plastic anyway.

Tempus fugit.

I just went ahead and opened it. What a let down!

The end coins were probably the best in the roll and neither was that much. All the coins are hazed and there are only a few with a decent strike from good dies and they're far short of special. The only thing going for this roll is that the coins are mostly pretty lightly marked.

The bands are just awful except on one die pair.

If I knew this back in 1985 I'd have spent them to get most of my $8 or so back.

Tempus fugit.

Did you ever have a coin, you'd wished you let the toning mature a little longer? :)

New toy in hand.

I agree this will soon be in a PCGS holder facing the normal way.

edited May 28, 2017 12:27AM

Does anyone here know the current status of the following Roosevelt dimes.

1978 MS64FB pop (1/0) Only 1978 FB...made sometime in 2017 I think.
    1980-P MS64FB pop (2/0) The only 2 FB's for 1980-P
    1980-D MS65FB & MS66FB. The only 2 FB's for 1980-D

To my knowledge, they are not in any registry set, nor have I ever seen them.
    Any info would be appreciated as I'm very curious to the whereabouts and if they even exist.

Later, Paul.

I believe at least one if not 2 of those are in the jnf1 clad set.

@onlyroosies said:
    I believe at least one if not 2 of those are in the jnf1 clad set.

Do you know this to be fact, or through some sort of deduction? Just wondering...

Later, Paul.

I posted a link to the set in the last Roosie thread. It was opened at the time (not now) and I could have swore I saw one
    or two of those in his set. Not 100% on that though. I am 100% that he has the 91D 66FB. I should have printed the set when I had the chance.

@Stooge said:

Something brought me back to collecting dimes. Nick can attest that after you sell a set, something brings you back. I now collect for just the love of it and ended up building a decent set for me.

Yep, Something always brings you back. It's been a couple months since I sold my silver set. Thanks to my Roosie buddies especially Jim Green who sold me some super nice Roosies from his set I have now filled all the holes that were left vacant after the silvers were sold and I'm proud to say "I'm Back" with 10 #1 Roosevelt dime sets back up on the registry. Just look at the top for Almighty Dimes and you will find them. My favorite set has always been the 46-date FB with Major Varieties and I'm #1 there again.