Home Precious Metals
Options

If within ~$25-50 of one another, which door do you choose?

SangoSango Posts: 177 ✭✭✭

Which do you choose?

It's a terrible picture of lady liberty, she is absolutely gorgeous. I'll have to get some better shots of her and her other lady friends.

Comments

• Options
    edited March 21, 2017 11:53PM

I have but the lone Buffalo, and a few modern walkers. I have picked up both of these recently, and then 5 since, all being the Double Eagle in ms63 and ms64 in varying years

Easy one for me.

• Options
    abcde12345abcde12345 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭✭✭

Both.

• Options
    Geckster109Geckster109 Posts: 231 ✭✭✭

The old stuff is cool, but i'd have to go with nice AU examples. I like to feel my gold, not cheap plastic! Plus you save a few bucks on the premiums too while stacking the same amount of yellow stuff.

• Options
    1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

1904 for me, definitely :smile:

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• Options
    DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭✭✭

The eagle...in the raw.

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,421 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'd take the Buffalo which is a very attractive coin. The 1904 Liberty double eagle is extremely common and carries the same stigma as the 1921 Morgan silver dollar. I already have several in various grades and certainly don't need any more.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would take the Buffalo... Reason one... .9999 pure, two... in a highly desirable holder (for collectors of such things), three...a more attractive coin. JMO..... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,688 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've always had a weakness for the Liberty Double Eagle. That one is especially attractive. :)

• Options

'The pre-33 gold is too common, go with the lump"

LOL

• Options

Some of you guys are just too much :D

• Options

I do understand the purity aspect of it, but I also tend to believe that the modern bullion will have near zero collectibility down the road. With a few exceptions. Never will be they be moon, only metal (which is still great)

I always tend to go with what can't be made more of tomorrow, etc

If I want more low-level detail (but perfect) lumps, there's always 2018, 2019, etc etc

Also understand the raw appeal for olds 'in the hand'.

• Options

If you wave enough debt notes in the air, someone will poop you out a new lump, today or tomorrow

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,421 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sango---Are you trying to raise your post count? ;)

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    JJMJJM Posts: 7,982 ✭✭✭✭✭

Old gold

👍BST's erickso1,cone10,MICHAELDIXON,TennesseeDave,p8nt,jmdm1194,RWW,robkool,Ahrensdad,Timbuk3,Downtown1974,bigjpst,mustanggt,Yorkshireman,idratherbgardening,SurfinxHI,derryb,masscrew,Walkerguy21D,MJ1927,sniocsu,Coll3tor,doubleeagle07,luciobar1980,PerryHall,SNMAM,mbcoin,liefgold,keyman64,maprince230,TorinoCobra71,RB1026,Weiss,LukeMarshall,Wingsrule,Silveryfire, pointfivezero,IKE1964,AL410, Tdec1000, AnkurJ,guitarwes,Type2,Bp777,jfoot113,JWP,mattniss,dantheman984,jclovescoins,Collectorcoins,Weather11am,Namvet69,kansasman,Bruce7789,ADG,Larrob37
  • Options

@PerryHall said:
    Sango---Are you trying to raise your post count? ;)

Meh beh :smile: I ought to catch you in a lifetime or two

• Options
    mkman123mkman123 Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭✭

I would choose the 1904

Successful Buying and Selling transactions with:

Many members on this forum that now it cannot fit in my signature. Please ask for entire list.
  • Options
    rawteam1rawteam1 Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭

Both overpriced and don't warrant the added cost.... buy low...

keceph `anah
  • Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,987 ✭✭✭✭✭

With spot at about $1250, what's a decent buy price for a common Lib in au?

• Options
    creekdaltoncreekdalton Posts: 49 ✭✭✭

The old gold is cool, because they don't make them anymore, but they made way over 6 million of those, in 1904, at the P mint. I would try to find a lower mintage/year, on the old $20, if I were looking for one. When they eventually stop minting the buffaloes, a 2017, in MS70 FS, might well overtake the 1904 Liberty, in monetary value. Far fewer of them are being minted annually, as that particular vintage old coin. For example, a 2014 MS70 FS buffalo, only three years old, is already around $1600 retail, as they only minted 180,500.

• Options
    WeissWeiss Posts: 9,935 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is an excellent dilemma.

I already have a handful of 1904 $20s. So even though my inclination might be the $20, I would be very tempted to go with the Buffalo.

We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,458 ✭✭✭✭✭

I will take the full ounce

• Options
    djmdjm Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭✭✭

The Buffalo if your paying for an ounce of gold, the you should get an ounce of gold.

• Options
    hchcoinhchcoin Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well - I bought a buffalo at the show this past weekend in the holder for $35 over spot from a small dealer splitting a table with a larger dealer. I spent a lot of time trying to decide the question you have asked for myself. It came down to price for me. I just felt I got a better deal with the buffalo than the graded double eagles.

• Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,203 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 22, 2017 8:45PM

new and improved gold since you're asking on the precious metal forum.

Ask on the US coin forum and I'll choose the $20 US coin.

Keep an open mind, or get financially repressed -Zoltan Pozsar

• Options
    cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,621 ✭✭✭✭✭

You can't spell gold without o-l-d.

Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear

• Options

The beautiful and also detrimental aspect of the modern stuff, is that anyone who wants a 70 can have a 70. If you can't see how that caps said coins potential premium long-term, we will just have to wait and find out I guess :) mintage total and even years mean near nothing (outside of the fractional) -- great thing is, if you want one next year, they'll be just as available. If there was ample demand for any of it, it would be supplied. Still not sure how collectible it ever becomes. Every Joe you know got a 70. Kind of makes it pointless, no?

Ended up with two 1907, 3 1904, and a 1905, all at near same price of the buff. One 64, rest 63's, it's where the value x/y was at the time (got them less than ask on 95% or more of AU58's) flipping sweet. Couldn't be happier

I have owned hundreds and hundreds of NGC slabbed coins over the years. The lady in the photo is now my only NGC. :D

• Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'd probably choose the common date Saint in MS64

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options

Not a huge fan of the SG's tho I did consider them. I know I'm probably the only person alive to not love the SG. But I don't. The reverse always reminded me too much of the peace Dollars, and I have a ton.

• Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Even more likely, I'd choose the draped bust half dollar in VF35 ;)

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options

This reverse, however, hits me right in, on, and around the happy zone.

• Options

Good stuff all,

A wonderful decision to have

• Options
    jimineez1jimineez1 Posts: 439 ✭✭✭

FWIW, Id choose the double eagle....

Almost Over 100 successful deals on this forum spanning well over 10 years now, feel free to ask for references!
  • Options
    TwobitcollectorTwobitcollector Posts: 3,104 ✭✭✭✭✭

Old gold

Positive BST Transactions with:
    INYNWHWeTrust-TexasNationals,ajaan,blu62vette
    coinJP, Outhaul ,illini420,MICHAELDIXON, Fade to Black,epcjimi1,19Lyds,SNMAN,JerseyJoe, bigjpst, DMWJR , lordmarcovan, Weiss,Mfriday4962,UtahCoin,Downtown1974,pitboss,RichieURich,Bullsitter,JDsCoins,toyz4geo,jshaulis, mustanggt, SNMAN
  • Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭

For potential price appreciation? I would choose the PCGS FS 70 Buff.

"Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,373 ✭✭✭✭✭

The beautiful and also detrimental aspect of the modern stuff, is that anyone who wants a 70 can have a 70. If you can't see how that caps said coins potential premium long-term, we will just have to wait and find out I guess :) mintage total and even years mean near nothing

That's news to me. If that's the case, please let me know when you can find a 2007 or 2013 MS-70 Gold Buff for me at spot or 5% over. I'd appreciate it. :)

Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options

Buying an MS70 slabbed coin is like buying a car with leather seats. Nice to look at, but very little added utilitarian value compared to cost. Poor return on investment... IE..waste of money.

• Options

Thank you for including me in your generous give-away!

• Options
  • Options

Buying an MS70 slabbed coin is like buying a car with leather seats. Nice to look at, but very little added utilitarian value compared to cost. Poor return on investment... IE..waste of money.

Agreed. However that doesn't preclude the fact that there's a market for them, and a premium to boot.

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    edited March 23, 2017 8:38AM

tried to post an image, failed.

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    hchcoinhchcoin Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭✭✭

@cohodk said:

I've got heated leather seats that came in my used car. I never would have bought them new. My wife would disagree with you on the waste of money. Well worth the money in the cold winter when it dips below 0 and the wind is blowing ;)

She tells me that heated seats without the leather just isn't the same :/

• Options
    edited March 23, 2017 8:54AM

@cohodk said:

The market begs to differ

First three gold coins I ever bought were 2006 proof buffs @ about $600 ea. from the mint. PCGS put a 70 on them and I flipped them for $1800 ea. Been flippin' 70s ever since, always at a profit. The profits provide me a growing bullion ASE stack.

• Options

@derryb said:

@cohodk said:

The market begs to differ

First three gold coins I ever bought were 2006 proof buffs @ about $600 ea. from the mint. PCGS put a 70 on them and I flipped them for $1800 ea. Been flippin' 70s ever since, always at a profit.

We'll see what happens over time, just as that premium for leather seats declines over time, I'm quite confident the premium on slab bed MS70 will also.

Car dealers continue to reap huge profits for leather seats, just as coin dealers will for slab bed ms70. Folks need to figure out if they are the dealer or the consumer.

• Options

As long as the premium for 70's remains over the cost to grade them and above the premium for ungraded, they will never be a poor investment.

I'm surprised to hear you of all people say "we'll see what happens over time." Try applying that objectivity to many of your other opinions.

• Options
    goldengolden Posts: 9,054 ✭✭✭✭✭

The 1904 .

• Options
    MilesWaitsMilesWaits Posts: 5,310 ✭✭✭✭✭

Old Folks = Old Gold

The Pure Buff has more potential for newbie interest.

Now riding the swell in PM's and surf.
  • Options
    tommy44tommy44 Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭✭✭

As a coin collector the 1904.

As a bullion investor for a potential fast flip the Buffalo.

it's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

• Options

Out of curiosity I checked the mintages:

1904 Double Eagle - 6,256,699

1917 Gold Buffalo (year to date) - 54,000

This is the 12th year of Gold Buffalos and there have been a little over 3 million of them made, counting both proofs and uncs.

We report. You decide. :)

I knew it would happen.