Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Poll: Which plastic will sell for more this weekend?

Was looking at two expensive slabs selling this weekend and was wondering which will sell for more.?

I know NGC Black Slabs sell for a ton usually, often $3k-$4k or more. I also know PCGS Regency slabs don't come close to those numbers in most cases, but this one seems to be a one of a kind sample, so maybe it is worth even more?

I think they will each sell for about the same amount, but figured it might be fun to have a poll.

I know some of the bidders may not like the attention, but I've seen both of these posted around already.

NGC Black Slab auction

PCGS Regency Sample Slab auction

Comments

• Options
    jclovescoinsjclovescoins Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ngc black
  • Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,622 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Regency sample.
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    rainbowroosierainbowroosie Posts: 4,874 ✭✭✭✭
    The regency slab is cool but the coin is fugly.
    "You keep your 1804 dollar and 1822 half eagle -- give me rainbow roosies in MS68."
    rainbowroosie April 1, 2003
  • Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,328 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The NGC black, by far!
    "My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Always bet on black

mark
    Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 9,080 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: jclovescoins

ngc black

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• Options
    illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Might be a little bit biased if I were to vote image

To date, the highest price ANY sample slab from ANY company has sold for that I am aware of is $655. That was for an ANACS club slab with a 1922 Grant Commemorative Gold Dollar in it that had a greysheet bid well above that price anyways. There was also a hand cut Doily Sample that went for just over $600.

So already this Regency Sample has more than doubled the record for a sample slab which I think is pretty cool. Not sure it'll make it up to the level of the NGC Black, even though it is undoubtedly more rare, but I'd love to be wrong image

• Options
    DollarAfterDollarDollarAfterDollar Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭✭✭
    NGC Black easily.
    If you do what you always did, you get what you always got.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Walker...IMO... Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 12,042 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gotta go with ATS on this one.
    oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,664 ✭✭✭✭✭
    NGC by a large margin.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭
    PC ain't even graded.

Phoo!
  • Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: Justacommeman
    Always bet on black

mark

• Options
    TopographicOceansTopographicOceans Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭✭
    NGC because it's real
  • Options
    Originally posted by: TopographicOceans
    NGC because it's real

Are you suggesting that the PCGS Regency Sample Slab I am selling is a counterfeit? Pretty bold statement considering you've never seen it in hand and lack any expertise on the matter. But based on other posts you've made in your time here, it doesn't surprise me at all.

With 100% certainty I can assure everyone that the slab is 100% legit.
  • Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Those would have to have an 1874-CC Dime in them for that kind of money........then crack crack!
  • Options
    Bottom line - they are both very cool and will bring strong money!

It doesn't really matter which one sells for more. The Regency will set a PCGS Sample record. The NGC black will sell for an average price.
    "My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options
    TopographicOceansTopographicOceans Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: illini420
    NGC because it's real

Are you suggesting that the PCGS Regency Sample Slab I am selling is a counterfeit? Pretty bold statement considering you've never seen it in hand and lack any expertise on the matter. But based on other posts you've made in your time here, it doesn't surprise me at all.

With 100% certainty I can assure everyone that the slab is 100% legit.

LOL. Calm down Mikey.

Are you suggesting that the PCGS Regency Sample Slab I am selling is a counterfeit? Uh, No.

I don't know why you would assume I would even know or care that is your auction, but one is a graded coin and the other is a sample slab.

Unless you're a plastic collector, those are different things.

Perhaps topstuf can explain it better to you

Originally posted by: topstuf
    PC ain't even graded.
    Phoo!

• Options
    mustanggtmustanggt Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: Lakesammman
    Bottom line - they are both very cool and will bring strong money!

It doesn't really matter which one sells for more. The Regency will set a PCGS Sample record. The NGC black will sell for an average price.

I agree, and both slabs are in excellent shape.
  • Options
    bigjpstbigjpst Posts: 3,052 ✭✭✭✭✭

Originally posted by: illini420

NGC because it's real

Unless you're a plastic collector, those are different things.

I think that is the point of the thread. Both of these coins are all about the plastic.

Last time I check a 46-D Walker in 65 doesn't usually bring $3000 unless it's in some collectible plastic.

edited to add, I think the NGC black will probably sell for more even if I think the Regency should sell for more FWIW.
  • Options
    Stuff like this is great for the hobby

mark
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,732 ✭✭✭✭✭
    the black slab for sure.
  • Options
    msch1manmsch1man Posts: 809 ✭✭✭✭
    I'm surprised to see that the majority seems to think the NGC black slab will sell for more. Wouldn't the fact that the Regency holder is possibly unique in that it's a sample and not a graded coin make it worth more? I don't follow these at all (so forgive my ignorance), but I'm kind of curious now why that is.
  • Options
    Originally posted by: msch1man

I'm surprised to see that the majority seems to think the NGC black slab will sell for more. Wouldn't the fact that the Regency holder is possibly unique in that it's a sample and not a graded coin make it worth more? I don't follow these at all (so forgive my ignorance), but I'm kind of curious now why that is.

Probably similar reasons to why an 1893 S Morgan in 63 last sold for $300k with a mintage of 100,000 vs a similar graded 1836 Gobrecht with a mintage of 1000 selling for 50k. Collectible or pattern issue vs regular issue maybe.
  • Options
    topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

mark

WHAT hobby?

Esoteric slab collecting without regard for coin?
  • Options

mark

WHAT hobby?

So, there is only one way to collect???
  • Options

mark

WHAT hobby?

Anything that creates interest is good. This hobby lacks imagination and collectors come in all shapes and sizes. The fact we are taking about it is good.

mark
  • Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,659 ✭✭✭✭✭
    How long will it be until They slab the slabs, and authenticate them and grade them on condition?

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    blu62vetteblu62vette Posts: 11,902 ✭✭✭✭✭

mark

WHAT hobby?

Anything that creates interest is good. This hobby lacks imagination and collectors come in all shapes and sizes. The fact we are taking about it is good.

mark

Agree. The Stone Mountain counterstamp at GC is also very cool and worth some discussion.
    http://www.bluccphotos.com" target="new">BluCC Photos Shows for onsite imaging: Nov Baltimore, FUN, Long Beach http://www.facebook.com/bluccphotos" target="new">BluCC on Facebook
  • Options
    Interesting weekend for coin auctions. Can hardly wait till Sunday night.
  • Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: bigjpst
    Originally posted by: msch1man

Probably similar reasons to why an 1893 S Morgan in 63 last sold for $300k with a mintage of 100,000 vs a similar graded 1836 Gobrecht with a mintage of 1000 selling for 50k. Collectible or pattern issue vs regular issue maybe.

There are probably more Morgan Dollar collectors than Gobrecht Dollar collectors. But in this case I would much rather have the Gobrecht Dollar...but that's me.
  • Options
    Originally posted by: mustanggt
    Interesting weekend for coin auctions. Can hardly wait till Sunday night.

Will be fun to watch... but we're apparently not the only ones watching!

As of right now, looks like there are 35 watchers on the NGC Black Slab at Great Collections ad 77 watchers on the PCGS Regency Sample Slab on eBay. We'll see in a few hours if there are any more bidders in that mix.
  • Options
    I do hope there are some bidders among the watchers.
  • Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Up to $3740 with 30 min to go.

Just 3 bidders above the $1660 level. Only 2 above $3,000.
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    BStrauss3BStrauss3 Posts: 3,272 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Most auction bids are made in the last minutes or even seconds. By waiting you often allow others to tip their hands.
    -----Burton
    ANA 50 year/Life Member (now "Emeritus")
  • Options
    Originally posted by: roadrunner

Up to $3740 with 30 min to go.

Just 3 bidders above the $1660 level. Only 2 above $3,000.

Looks like it is at$3400 right now. Maybe someone was searching for the max then retracted. Not sure GC policy on bid retractions

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,664 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It went for $3,740 when you add the 10% buyer's fee.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    NGC ended @ 3400 [3740 with bp] now we wait...
    -----Burton
  • Options
    Originally posted by: PerryHall

It went for $3,740 when you add the 10% buyer's fee.

imageum duh

• Options
    Originally posted by: CA5MAN
    I wonder why with the Regency Sample slab, is there no history on it?

Don't the folks at PCGS have a recollection of such an interesting sample with a Pedigree on it?

Seems somebody should know the story, unless nobody asked.

Why do you think that no one knows the history? I know... image
  • Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,109 ✭✭✭✭✭
    PCGS SLAB: Winning bid: US $3,449.99
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    3,499.99 for the Regency... 3,740.00 for the NGC Black

We have a winner!

As to why 'nobody knows the history' - these things weren't considered important at the time, they didn't think there would be interest, the data was lost when systems changed, etc.
    -----Burton
  • Options
    msch1manmsch1man Posts: 809 ✭✭✭✭
    Wow...3450 for the Regency sample!
  • Options
    Originally posted by: BStrauss3
    3,499.99 for the Regency... 3,740.00 for the NGC Black

We have a winner!

As to why 'nobody knows the history' - these things weren't considered important at the time, they didn't think there would be interest, the data was lost when systems changed, etc.

Do we have a winner??? Regency sample hammered higher image

Was surprised at how close the final prices were... wouldn't have guessed that.

• Options
    Man, that was entertaining!

• Options
    Originally posted by: Lakesammman
    Man, that was entertaining!

I agree
  • Options
    Here's a nice writeup on the sales from this evening:

Coin World blog
  • Options
    astroratastrorat Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congrats to both parties. Both sold for good money. The Regency, however, went well above what I thought it would bring. Well done, Mike!
    Numismatist Ordinaire
    See http://www.doubledimes.com for a free online reference for US twenty-cent pieces
  • Options
    claychaserclaychaser Posts: 4,405 ✭✭✭✭
    Does this merit the "You Suck" award?

==Looking for pre WW2 Commems in PCGS Rattler holders, 1851-O Three Cent Silvers in all grades

Successful, problem free and pleasant transactions with: illini420, coinguy1, weather11am,wayneherndon,wondercoin,Topdollarpaid,Julian, bishdigg,seateddime, peicesofme,ajia,CoinRaritiesOnline,savoyspecial,Boom, TorinoCobra71, ModernCoinMart, WTCG, slinc, Patches, Gerard, pocketpiececommems, BigJohnD, RickMilauskas, mirabella, Smittys, LeeG, TomB, DeusExMachina, tydye
  • Options
    sparky64sparky64 Posts: 7,031 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congratulations on your sale. image

Cool piece.

"If I say something in the woods and my wife isn't there to hear it.....am I still wrong?"

My Washington Quarter Registry set...in progress

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file