Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

vandweller's Dwight Evans thread

Comments

• Options
    Yes it can count as part of all those specials and vouchers. You just pay separate return shipping.
  • Options
    Thanks, Dan. I'm going to sign up this month and send in my initial 15 so hopefully be a quick turnaround.

• Options
    Just picked up what used to be one of least favorite cards, but which has grown on me in recent years.

• Options
    My first pack of cards was 88 donruss and I was obsessed with DKs as a kid. This card brings me back.
  • Options
    Incoming! Just picked off Evans's other Diamond King, which I far prefer to the 1988 one. Been waiting a while for another to show up and happy to strike it from the wantlist.

• Options
    I've had the discipline to let some pretty big Evans cards come and go on eBay as I'm trying to meet some personal financial goals, but I couldn't resist the opportunity to grab a Desert Shield in a 9 holder. Just something about this card.

On the topic of 1991 Topps, I wonder if PSA will recognize these new "glow back" variants that have recently been discovered.

• Options
    jackstrawjackstraw Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭
    Cool cards definitely brings me back to a time where life was easier.. I will have my mortgage paid off

twice and half way through a 3rd time before PSA recognizes the different backs on 91 Topps..
    Collector Focus

ON ITS WAY TO NEWPORT BEACH, CA 92658
  • Options
    It's been a while since I've updated this thread so here's what I've picked up since the last time I posted:

1983 Boston Herald Sox Stamp PSA 10

This is one of the few items I didn't have in my childhood collection so it's a pretty cool addition. And his mustache is in full effect.

• Options
    1989 O-Pee-Chee PSA 10

This is an upgrade of my PSA 9 and is a pop 1 last I checked. I have a thing for OPCs and it would be cool if PSA would allow OPC player sets or include OPC cards in the "Basic Set" composites. It's weird that Leaf is included but OPC isn't.

• Options
    1976 Topps PSA 10

This is a big addition for me. It's my favorite 1970's set and probably one of my top favorite Evans base cards. Also it fills a slot in the Basic Topps set which I'm slowly climbing the rankings on.

• Options
    1979 Topps PSA 10

Another big addition because it's another in the Basic Topps set. I'm focusing my collecting dollars on the basic Topps cards in PSA 10 so I can hopefully have the number one set by next year.

• Options
    1980 Topps PSA 10

Another big Basic Topps addition. I've been watching a couple Buy It Now listings of this pop 6 card for almost 2 years and I thought they were just way too overpriced and I couldn't pull the trigger. Then on popped up on PWCC auction and I ended up getting it for 1/2 to 1/3 less than the other listings. That said, it's my least favorite of Dewey's basic Topps cards. His hair is terrible and he looks uncomfortable. Like the photographer farted or something.

• Options
    So as far as the Basic Topps set goes, I need a 1973, 1975, 1977, and 1981 in PSA 10 to have the best possible set. (The 1974 has no 10s). PWCC had a 1981 in a 10 on auction, but I was doing an errand during the last few hours and forgot to bid. If had bid though, I wouldn't have lost. So that was frustrating because it's only a pop 6.

A '75 and a '77 showed up a few months ago in PSA 10, but my card funds were a bit depleted after I had purchased my OPC RC. The 1977 is particularly tough in a 10 as a pop 4, so who knows when another will pop up. Maybe I can buy up a lot of 9s and keep re-submitting them until I get an easy grader. image

• Options
    I've been dying for updates to this thread. Thanks!!
  • Options
    saucywombatsaucywombat Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: vandweller
    Just picked up what used to be one of least favorite cards, but which has grown on me in recent years.

Do you think they re-used a portrait of Tony Armas?
    Always looking for 1993-1999 Baseball Finest Refractors and1994 Football Finest Refractors.
    saucywombat@hotmail.com
  • Options
    Here's a couple of "kind of a big deal" Topps variations I've picked up in the last few weeks.

1982 Topps Blackless. Never had this card as a kid. Not currently on the master set registry, but "any day now" I'm going to get a submission together and add it.

1985 Topps Mini White Proof. I had a copy of this card as a kid, but it ended up being thrown away, bringing the 10 to 15 known examples down one. I have actually never ever seen the supposedly more common variation with the full green back or the one with the red back. It's getting to the point that I don't believe they exist. But I've never seen any evidence either way. I'll submit this soon along with the other above and my 1972 Venezuelan, and a few other miscellaneous oddballs that I have that aren't on the registry.

Incidentally, this card was sitting on eBay for several months in a BGS 8 holder at somewhere between $120 and $250 dollars. The same seller had a bunch of others similiarly slabbed. Then, inexplicably, he cracked them all out and slashed their prices. I got this one for $30. Some people.

Oh and also...

1990 Baseball Cards Magazine Insert

Never saw this one before it popped up on eBay. Other cards from this "set" have been slabbed and graded by PSA. I have access to a laser cutter which can do cardboard and paper. I'm going to practice cutting out some other things until I have the method down 100% to get a perfect cut. Then I'll cut all three out, slab 'em, and sell the Rickey and..give away the Langston I guess? Not currently on the Master Set composite. I do so love adding new cards to it, but I'm sure the guy who is at the top who used to be at 89% and is now at 80% due to all my additions isn't as pleased.

• Options
    Added another important PSA 10, the 1981 Topps. This gives an uninterrupted Topps run from 1978 to 1992. This also gives me 85% completion on the Basic Topps registry set. What I have left to acquire are the three most expensive: 1973 (pop 8), 1975 (pop 7), and 1977 (pop 4). It's very tempting to just purchase some 9s and have 100% completion for the set, but for now I'm sticking to my guns and going for PSA 10s only (except 1974 which is pop 0).

• Options
    I'm shipping my Venezuelan tomorrow! My concern is that it seems very very rare for PSA to grade these 1972 Venezuelans anything but a 1. So I'm a bit nervous that my SGC 40 is going to take a crossover hit. Regardless, I need it for my registry set so come what may, I guess. Anyhow, wish me luck!

Also sending in a few oddball Dewey items that have low pops to see if I can strike some gold. Plus a few 2014 Topps Heritage RCs of my girlfriend's current favorite Red Sox, Christian Vazquez. Hoping for 2 10s out of 4 on those, one for her and one for me. First ever PSA submissions, so fingers crossed.

• Options
    Added another Dewey 10 to my Master set, the 1987 Topps Record Breaker. When I was a kid I thought that was the coolest feat. Odd to me at the time he was batting leadoff, because he had become a "slugger" and wasn't a stolen base threat, especially 15 years into a major league career. Maybe John McNamara was ahead of his time in recognizing the value of OBP, which Evans had come to excel at.

I remember that I pulled this card and his regular base card out of my first pack of 1987 Topps that year (AND the Roger Clemens 20K RB card as well). I remember in that moment that I made the decision to abandon my other player collections and just collect Dwight Evans. (I was collecting Evans, Cal Ripken, Jerry Remy, Marty Barrett, Lou Whitaker, and Alan Trammell. I guess by "collecting" I meant that I made a special effort to acquire those cards by trades with other kids and to find them at card shows. Also, it seems that all those players were 2B and SS, except Evans, who was a rightfielder...which is where my level of baseball talent always ensured that I got stuck, so maybe that's how my affinity for Evans started.)

• Options
    Awesome post. I also fondly remember that record breaker from childhood. Good point too about Evans' OBP making him a great lead off guy despite lack of speed.
  • Options
    Thanks, Dan. I should have some more cool additions once my submission comes back.

• Options
    I haven't got the cards yet, but my first ever submission popped. Not all the most valuable cards necessarily, but ones I definitely wanted for my personal collection that were low pops and haven't come on the market in the two years I've been compiling my Evans PSA collection.

The Woolworth's and Kaybee cards I pulled myself from small sets and a couple were only pop 1 in a 10. The 1991 Studio is maybe an odd one to submit but it was pop 1 in a 10 and surprisingly, the set is annoyingly condition-sensitive. I opened an entire case of that product just to find a couple Evans cards worth submitting (I have some HOFer cards that I'll eventually submit and sell off to offset the cost of the case).

The Venezuelan crossed over from SGC 40 to a PSA 3 making it the highest grade of the card so I'm thrilled with that grade, especially since so many of that set come back as PSA 1s, and I got a relatively good deal on the card.

I am completely fine with my 1982 Blackless and my Sportscaster card grading out as 8s. The big question is whether PSA will accept the Sportscaster into the Evans master set. He is featured on the card, but isn't named. Any ideas on that?

For the non-Evans cards: Totally thrilled that both of my David Ortiz RCs came back as 10s. I pulled both of them myself from packs from a great deal I got on a hobby box of '97 Fleer Series 2. I feel like I should keep one and sell one, but having pulled them both myself makes me feel like I can't part with either.

Very happy that all my Christian Vazquez RCs came back as 10s. I love that guy and he's my girlfriend's favorite player since Varitek retired. One for me, one for her, and not quite sure what to do with the other two. I bought a lot of 13 of these for a couple bucks and picked the best ones to send in.

Pretty happy overall and I feel like my eye as a grader is somewhat validated. I think I'm hooked and I'm going to see what else I can dig up to send in.

Line # Item # Cert # Grade Description Type

1 1 25795100 GEM MINT 10 1991 Studio 2 Dwight Evans

1 2 25795101 MINT 9 1991 Studio 2 Dwight Evans

2 1 25795102 MINT 9 1990 Woolworth 12 Dwight Evans

3 1 25795103 GEM MINT 10 1990 Kaybee Kings 11 Dwight Evans

4 1 25795104 GEM MINT 10 1991 Woolworth 10 Dwight Evans

5 1 25795105 GEM MINT 10 1989 Kaybee Superstars of Baseball 10 Dwight Evans

6 1 25795106 GEM MINT 10 2014 Topps Heritage H559 Christian Vasquez Error-Vazquez

6 2 25795107 GEM MINT 10 2014 Topps Heritage H559 Christian Vasquez Error-Vazquez

6 3 25795108 GEM MINT 10 2014 Topps Heritage H559 Christian Vasquez Error-Vazquez

6 4 25795109 GEM MINT 10 2014 Topps Heritage H559 Christian Vasquez Error-Vazquez

7 1 25795110 GEM MINT 10 1997 Fleer 512 David Arias (Ortiz)

7 2 25795111 GEM MINT 10 1997 Fleer 512 David Arias (Ortiz)

8 1 25795112 NEAR MINT-MINT 8 1982 Topps 355 Dwight Evans Blackless

1 1 25795067 VERY GOOD 3 1972 Venezuelan League Stickers 65 Dwight Evans

1 1 25795066 NEAR MINT-MINT 8 1977-1979 Sportscaster 45-22 Hitting the Cutoff Man-Italy

• Options
    DanBessetteDanBessette Posts: 6,422
    I love the Venz Evans, so I'm so happy to see yours is pop 1, none higher! Congrats! The 10'd throughout the rest of the sub show that you've got a good grading eye

Regarding the sportscaster, PSA's registry folks are very inconsistent with situations like that. I have a card in one of my player sets that's a similar case, but I've also known of several times where they won't include such a card. Kind of a roll of the dice.
  • Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: vandwellerThe big question is whether PSA will accept the Sportscaster into the Evans master set. He is featured on the card, but isn't named. Any ideas on that?

First off, great sub! Per their standards, PSA shouldn't allow this to be added to the Master without his name on the back. As Dan mentioned, it has happened in the past and the research department doesn't seem consistent on this.
  • Options
    miwlvrnmiwlvrn Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: LarkinCollector

Originally posted by: vandwellerThe big question is whether PSA will accept the Sportscaster into the Evans master set. He is featured on the card, but isn't named. Any ideas on that?

First off, great sub! Per their standards, PSA shouldn't allow this to be added to the Master without his name on the back. As Dan mentioned, it has happened in the past and the research department doesn't seem consistent on this.

As an example for comparison, note how the Johnny Bench master set composition includes two items of similar situation: the "Interference" card, as well as the general Baseball one that has the same photo as the Sportscaster Johnny Bench card does but without his name on front and with a completely different back. Bench is obviously pictured on front of both of these items, but there is no mention of his name on back of either one.

I found links to all 3 basic cards on ebay for you to compare the fronts and backs. If the decision were up to me, I like the inclusion of all 3 of these in the master set composition, but I can also see where some people may feel otherwise. I think without a doubt they should all qualify for super set composition though.

Baseball

Bench

UkAAOSwSzdXCSpe">Interference

• Options
    Originally posted by: DanBessette

Regarding the sportscaster, PSA's registry folks are very inconsistent with situations like that. I have a card in one of my player sets that's a similar case, but I've also known of several times where they won't include such a card. Kind of a roll of the dice.

Originally posted by: miwlvrn

As an example for comparison, note how the Johnny Bench master set composition includes two items of similar situation: the "Interference" card, as well as the general Baseball one that has the same photo as the Sportscaster Johnny Bench card does but without his name on front and with a completely different back. Bench is obviously pictured on front of both of these items, but there is no mention of his name on back of either one.

I found links to all 3 basic cards on ebay for you to compare the fronts and backs. If the decision were up to me, I like the inclusion of all 3 of these in the master set composition, but I can also see where some people may feel otherwise. I think without a doubt they should all qualify for super set composition though.

Baseball

Bench

UkAAOSwSzdXCSpe">Interference

Thanks guys. I guess the only way to find out for sure is to try and get it on there. Maybe finding some other examples as precedent will help. Either way, it's a cool card, and PSA doesn't determine what is in my collection. :-)

• Options
    Originally posted by: vandwellerEither way, it's a cool card, and PSA doesn't determine what is in my collection. :-)

• Options

Originally posted by: vandwellerEither way, it's a cool card, and PSA doesn't determine what is in my collection. :-)

Good, that's the spirit!
  • Options
    Here's the 'official' Master Set requirements (bold added by me):

Master Player Sets:
    All cards, with the exception of unique or very limited edition cards (1-3 print runs), are accepted in the Master player sets. If a player is featured on a team set card, it will be allowed. Cards which may picture a player but make no mention of said player on the card are not allowed. Items that do not picture the corresponding player will not be allowed. In addition, some handcut/panel/perforated issues may only be used in one slot and may not be required in multiple slots. If you are uncertain that your card qualifies, please email setregistry@collectors.com for confirmation.

Note there are a few sets which PSA does not grade, but authenticates only. Cards from the following sets will be added to the player sets as optional and will not be required: 1967 Topps Test Discs, 1968 Topps Discs, 1970 Topps Super Square Cornered Proof - Blank Back. This list may be updated in the future.

Player sets have evolved since they were first introduced in the PSA Set Registry. Therefore, there may be some inconsistencies. Please email setregistry@collectors.com with any changes you feel should be made.
  • Options
    Yeah, I'm probably out of luck. Maybe I'll have to request a Super Set. :-)

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,787 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I love this thread

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options
    Cards arrived today! Scans! Including card backs because they don't get enough love.

• Options

• Options

• Options

• Options
    Damn 9

• Options
    I think this is a very underrated set.

• Options

• Options
    I guess the card backs are a bit further from the surface than the fronts, thus the blurriness. The Sportscaster hasn't arrived yet, so I'll post when it does. Here are the front scans of the rest of the sub (warning: non-Evans content).

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,787 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I love the Venezuelan Evans. Never seen that card before. Congratulations

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options
    Originally posted by: craig44

Thank you! I'm really pleased to have a PSA 3. I was really worried about its coming back a 1.

• Options
    Unless there's some shady backroom dealings going on, it looks like I was able to eke out a first place finish for my Basic Topps Set. The PSA 9 RC I ordered last week is "Out for Delivery"

http://www.psacard.com/PSASetR...8&m=36149&ac=0

I'm not all about the award, but it's still going to be pretty cool to have a little [2016] next to my set name.

Goals for the next year are to upgrade the '73, '75, and '77 Topps to 10s and to hope to hell no one uncovers a PSA 10 1974. I'd also like to track down the remaining 6 cards I need for the Basic Set. I think I'll end up finding and submitting my own cards for that. I'm also going to work on getting a new scanner and getting high quality scans of my entire collection. And then working on adding some beat-up cards to my raw Topps Red Sox run.

I might have to slow down on updating the Master Set this year, though. It seems that my flurry of buying activity over the last 24 months, as well as that of a new Evans Master Set collector, has driven up the prices at which 4Sharp is starting low pop Evans cards. For example, a 1988 Topps Stickerback has recently been listed for $99.00. At that price, I'll find and submit my own or just wait. So I'm probably going to cool it for a while unless I can find cards at more favorable prices.

• Options

Thank you! I'm really pleased to have a PSA 3. I was really worried about its coming back a 1.

I own what I would consider to be a relatively larger amount of 1972 Venezuelans from that set, and I must say that is an impressively clean back to that PSA 3 you have there, congrats!

• Options
    Always puts a smile on my face when this thread updates.
  • Options
    Originally posted by: miwlvrn

I own what I would consider to be a relatively larger amount of 1972 Venezuelans from that set, and I must say that is an impressively clean back to that PSA 3 you have there, congrats!

You don't happen to have an extra Cardenales Grupo card, do you? It's the horizontal one with some players sitting on the bench. One of the players is supposed to be Evans.

• Options
    PM'd.
  • Options

Thanks! I pretty much update for you alone. :-)

• Options
    I still need a better scanner, since the backs are a bit blurry, but I added a digital album for my basic Topps set. I wasn't crazy about these when they first came out, but I've warmed up to them. Pretty cool.

http://www.psacard.com/PSASetR...lbum.aspx?setid=183888

• Options
    You should have your new one for your set very soon...
  • Options

Thanks! I pretty much update for you alone. :-)

Even though Dan comments the most, I'm sure I'm not alone in the group of others actively following your updates as well image