Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

vandweller's Dwight Evans thread

Comments

• miwlvrnmiwlvrn Posts: 4,261 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Sweet cards, especially the Venezuelan!!!! Thanks for posting. >>

Anything higher than a Good 2 from that particular set is high grade.

• << <i>

Anything higher than a Good 2 from that particular set is high grade. >>

Really hoping to keep that 3 when I cross it over, but I'll settle for a 2.5. :-)

• Okay, I can't seem to stop. :-) Just snagged a 1984 O-Pee-Chee that 4sharp just listed. That leaves me a Nestle hand-cut short of a 1984 Topps "rainbow" and gets me up to 53.31% with no cards with a "pop higher". Not sure if I mentioned this, but I only add "none highers" to my registry sets. I think this saves money in the long run by not having to upgrade a card, which minimizes transaction and shipping costs for a given registry slot. Takes a lot of patience though not to jump on the those cheap 9s from the 70's just to get my completion % up.

<< <i>

<< <i>

Anything higher than a Good 2 from that particular set is high grade. >>

Really hoping to keep that 3 when I cross it over, but I'll settle for a 2.5. :-) >>

I've got a raw one that is pretty decent. I'll let you know what grade I get on it.
  • A few 4SC pickups:

1990 O-Pee-Chee PSA 10 - Not part of the master set composite, but I've already requested that it be added. Pop 2

1985 Drake's PSA 10 - One of these popped up earlier and the week, but someone (cough, cough, calaban7...) snatched it out from under me. Thankfully, 4SC posted another one. The best part of this otherwise boring card is that he is exhibiting great form in a crucial part of the swing: back elbow in, 90 degrees, well ahead of the bat barrel.

1984 Topps Stickers PSA 10 - feels weird to pay $14 a sticker, but that's what player collecting is, for better or worse.

1980 Topps PSA 9 - I kind of violated my own rule here in adding a 9 with higher pop available. I was just a few dollars under the free shipping threshold, so I just tacked this on for almost free. Probably my least favorite mainstream Evans card. Just a weird face and hair on that one.

• Love this thread! Evans is my #2 favorite baseball player of all time. Keep the updates coming!
  • calaban7calaban7 Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭
    Kevin , good pickups . Keep up the good work and keep up the postings . Its what makes collecting , even more fun .image------- Sonny
    " In a time of universal deceit , telling the truth is a revolutionary act " --- George Orwell
  • craig44craig44 Posts: 11,087 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very nice. I really like the 90 opc

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Besides my registry sets, I also have another Evans-related collection. It's small, but growing. I've become a bit taken with snagging as many cheap copies of this as I can, although the PSA 10 wasn't so cheap:

• GDM67GDM67 Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i> Just a weird face and hair on that one. >>

He needs the moustache. It gives him a Conneryesque quality.

I love the '91 Topps, too. I'm not absolutely positive but I believe it depicts his dramatic 10th inning walkoff homer off of Gregg Olson on the CBS Game of the Week broadcast of June 23rd. I watched that game with my grandfather.

• It has arrived!

• calaban7calaban7 Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭
    Keith , REALLY nice card . !!!!!!!! ---- Sonny
    " In a time of universal deceit , telling the truth is a revolutionary act " --- George Orwell
  • tsalems1tsalems1 Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭
    Awesome card!

I just got back from Canada today and found this in 1 of the boxes I bought...

slight tilt. Gut says it 8's, hope for a 9!

www.OPCBASEBALL.com

Email: OPCBASEBALL@YAHOO.COM

Follow OPCBASEBALL.COM on Facebook

• << <i>Awesome card!

I just got back from Canada today and found this in 1 of the boxes I bought...

slight tilt. Gut says it 8's, hope for a 9! >>

It's a great looking example, despite the tilt. I like the extra fuzzy top edge.

• << <i>Keith , REALLY nice card . !!!!!!!! ---- Sonny >>

Thanks Sonny. It's still a bit hard for me to believe that I actually own it.

• << <i>

<< <i> Just a weird face and hair on that one. >>

He needs the moustache. It gives him a Conneryesque quality.

I love the '91 Topps, too. I'm not absolutely positive but I believe it depicts his dramatic 10th inning walkoff homer off of Gregg Olson on the CBS Game of the Week broadcast of June 23rd. I watched that game with my grandfather. >>

I did not know that, but I hope it's true. Would love to find footage! Thanks for the story!

It hadn't even occurred to me to look for video

Crowd in the front few rows looks different, so it might have been earlier in the game, or a different day.
  • Super thrilled to add this 1975 (or '76 depending on your perspective) SSPC PSA 10 of my favorite player from one of my favorite sets.

EDIT: Changed the thread title

Glad you have it in hand. I am always happy when my high dollar cards leave the clutches of the usps. Very nice card

• << <i>Changed the thread title >>

Nice! Makes me hope for more updates.

• << <i>Glad you have it in hand. I am always happy when my high dollar cards leave the clutches of the usps. Very nice card >>

You ain't kidding. It was kind of a struggle to pick it up from the PO. Guy had no idea where it was and came back up front several times to verify that it really hadn't already been delivered, that oh maybe it's on a truck right now out for delivery, that maybe it's the wrong post office, and then oh it was here the whole time. Was pretty convinced it was going to be broken and bent in half when I got it.

Always love to see the AL players at Shea stadium in the '76 sets.
  • thekid8thekid8 Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭
    This is a fantastic thread keep it up --- would love to see some of the more oddball type items you have
    Gary Carter Fans check out www.thekid8.com

• Added this 1987 Sportsflics Team Previews today. Not a great looking card by any means, but it fills the slot. I do get a special jolt of excitement in acquiring a card that I didn't have as a kid. Back then, I had almost 700 different Dwight Evans related items, so I had just about everything.

• Oh, kind of a milestone. The card above puts me at 150 total Dwight Evans PSA cards, 143 which are registry worthy, and 7 random post-career cards that I've picked up here and there. At some point, once I'm up in the 80% range on all my existing registry sets, I'll request a super set composite, but I'll probably be the only one doing it.

• Sorry for the spam, but I had some extra PayPal so I added one more here through the CU forums. 1983 OPC Stickers. 1982/3 was definitely peak mustache for Dewey.

Thanks to tsalems1!

• Congrats on the milestone. I'm curious, what happened to your original hoard of Dewey cards?
  • BPorter26BPorter26 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sweet Dewey collection. Here's one that I have.

"EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY IT SAYS IT RIGHT THERE ON THE WALL" - JACKIE MOON

• << <i>Congrats on the milestone. I'm curious, what happened to your original hoard of Dewey cards? >>

Long, regrettable story that makes me look like an idiot. I'll probably post it in the thread at some point.

• << <i>Sweet Dewey collection. Here's one that I have.

image >>

I used to have that one. I see them occasionally at shows and so forth. I should pick up the next one I see. Thanks for showing it off!

• << <i>Sweet Dewey collection. Here's one that I have.

image >>

1978 Penn Emblem patch. I picked up the Yaz and I'm subbing it this month. PSA grades the set, but has never graded the Yaz. You should get the Evans patch graded and added to the master set.

• << <i>1978 Penn Emblem patch. I picked up the Yaz and I'm subbing it this month. PSA grades the set, but has never graded the Yaz. You should get the Evans patch graded and added to the master set. >>

Never knew what that was called. Thanks for the info. I'll be on the lookout for one to submit.

• I know I said I was going to back off for a while, but hey it was 5x eBay bucks. But these are definitely my last additions until October. My budget is tapped out.

1981 OPC Grey Back POP 1. Love adding POP 1s. Watched this one for a while and finally pulled the trigger. Wasn't part of the set composite, but just requested that it be added.

1978 Topps PSA 10. I've been watching this one from 4SC slowly come down in price month after month for a year or so. Got low enough that I was worried about someone else snagging it.

Okay, really, that is seriously enough purchases for now. A Topps RC in a 10 better not come on the market for at least 2 months or someone's selling a kidney.

• IronmanfanIronmanfan Posts: 5,464 ✭✭✭✭
    I thought you might enjoy this dual signed 1990 AP Laser Photo signed by both Bill Ripken & Dewey. As an aside this play is depicted on Bill Ripken's 1991 Topps card (different angle), if you want to pick up an inexpensive addition to your Evans collection:

My best to you with your collection!

IMF
    Successful dealings with Wcsportscards94558, EagleEyeKid, SamsGirl214, Volver, DwayneDrain, Oaksey25, Griffins, Cardfan07, Etc.
  • A gem 81 gray back is quite a find, congrats!

IMF, cool photo, and it sure brings back some great memories. My dad was a journalist from the late 70s through the early 90s and he brought me home scores of AP photos. I've got a 2" stack tucked away with Boggs, Evans, Ripken, Griffey and many others.

• << <i>I thought you might enjoy this dual signed 1990 AP Laser Photo signed by both Bill Ripken & Dewey. As an aside this play is depicted on Bill Ripken's 1991 Topps card (different angle), if you want to pick up an inexpensive addition to your Evans collection:

My best to you with your collection!

IMF >>

Great photo! I love it. Back when I was a kid, I definitely had a section in my old, brown "Sports Collection" binder with "cameos" by Dewey on other people's cards. He didn't have many if I recall. But I had that card, and the Tiffany version. I might have to do a rainbow of all versions of the card, once I've made a bit more progress on my regular registry sets. Anyone recall if Evans makes a cameo appearance on any other cards? I seem to remember something in 1988 Score.

• LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i> Anyone recall if Evans makes a cameo appearance on any other cards? >>

I would check here: Cameo thread

• << <i>

<< <i> Anyone recall if Evans makes a cameo appearance on any other cards? >>

I would check here: Cameo thread >>

Thanks LC. Various sources online for this kind of thing turn up only the Billy Ripken 91 Topps. I know there have got to be at least a few more out there.

• Not an addition to my registry sets, but I picked this up today. It's my 11th copy of this card. One 10, two 8's, and eight raw.

• I am supposed to be on a self-imposed moratorium on buying cards till the end of the year, but I have a soft spot now for OPC and couldn't resist this one. This gives me OPC top pops for 1973, 1980, 1981 (white and grey back), 1982, 1983, 1984, 1988, 1989, 1990, 1991, 1992. According to the pop report, there's only one 1986 OPC out there graded PSA 8, so it looks like I'm going to have to track down some raw ones to submit.

• Congrats on adding a sharp card to your OPC run!

• << <i>Congrats on adding a sharp card to your OPC run! >>

Thanks! I wish the set registries gave a little more respect to OPC issues, like adding them to Basic sets, or having separate OPC player sets, but c'est la vie.

• Also picked up this unopened 1990 Bandai coin. I already have an example of the coin in a PSA 8 slab, but am debating whether I should open this guy up and go for a 9 or 10.

• Interesting. I don't remember the Bandai coins.

My Yaz collecting will keep me very busy for many years. But if I ever get to a point where I have most items and there are only a few affordable items left on my wish list, Evans would be the player I'd collect next.
    I also have never seen the Bandai coin. Love player collection threads. Thanks for sharing

• Picked up three more:

• Which gives me this many:

Did you send your 1972 Venezuelan in for crossing yet? I noticed it hasn't been added to the set composition yet so checking to see if anything went wrong for it?
  • I'm curious too. That was one kick @$$ pre rookie!!
  • Nope, I haven't submitted it yet. I purchased it with the ultimate intention of getting it crossed over, but I have never done that before so am not 100% sure of the procedure. That is, can I submit it with a normal order, or does it have to separate? Is it covered by monthly specials? Can I include it with my "free" 15 submissions? I've been also holding off because there is another card out there in a BGS holder that I want to acquire and would want to submit these together.