Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

vandweller's Dwight Evans thread

This is my "white whale" card, and while I am not a wealthy person, I have a special fund set aside for whenever one might become available. Realistically, with a population of only 8, what are the chances of either a new pop or of an existing one coming on the market in the relative near future (say 2-3 years)? If it does come on the market, am I most like to see it on eBay or in some other auction venue? I am a relative newb to PSA cards and don't yet have a good sense of the market dynamic for things like this.

Thanks for the help.

Comments

• There's a relatively good chance that one will become available down the road on Ebay. Especially, if it's a low pop card and the regular PSA submitters believe it could bring some serious coin.
  • One of my concerns is that there is a fair chance that Evans will be on the Expansion Era Committee HOF ballot come 2017. If he is somehow elected (which I doubt), that would drive the price out of my range. Do you think there is some chance that some of these cards are being held off the market until then?

• zep33zep33 Posts: 6,897 ✭✭✭
    Dewey was my mom's favorite player.

Good luck on your quest
  • thehallmarkthehallmark Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭
    I think that mentioning this bit about the HOF can only reduce your chances of landing that card.

• << <i>Dewey was my mom's favorite player.

Good luck on your quest >>

My mom's, too. She liked how his ass looked in those pants. I'll never forget that. She was hilarious.

• << <i>I think that mentioning this bit about the HOF can only reduce your chances of landing that card. >>

I'm not sure it's a big mystery that he's got a chance to be on the ballot, not to the savvy anyway. But maybe it will cause an increase in supply, as well. The collector part of me hopes he isn't elected, and the justice part of me isn't 100% sure he belongs anyway. Bill James seems to think he does, and I mostly agree, but I tend to think he falls just short and is probably the kind of player who defines the margin. If he had hooked up with Hriniak just a few years earlier, I think there's no question he would have had the batting stats to make it.

• addicted2ebayaddicted2ebay Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭✭
    Not everything pops up on eBay so this should help:

Auctionreport

• << <i>Not everything pops up on eBay so this should help:

Auctionreport >>

Thanks for the resource. Much obliged.

• vols1vols1 Posts: 784 ✭✭✭
    Any reasonably priced 10 is going to have those fisheyes/print defect's. Save your money and buy a nice 9 instead.

• << <i>Any reasonably priced 10 is going to have those fisheyes/print defect's. Save your money and buy a nice 9 instead. >>

I hear that, I understand that, I totally agree. But I still want the 10. I'm also doing the Set Registry for Evans and I would like to have the #1 set at some point. I acknowledge that it's not completely rational.

• miwlvrnmiwlvrn Posts: 4,261 ✭✭✭✭✭

The OPC version was on ebay not that relatively long ago in a PSA 10. Not sure, could have been Tom selling it. Maybe keep that one in mind too instead of just limiting to Topps?

• Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,912 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Any reasonably priced 10 is going to have those fisheyes/print defect's. Save your money and buy a nice 9 instead. >>

I hear that, I understand that, I totally agree. But I still want the 10. I'm also doing the Set Registry for Evans and I would like to have the #1 set at some point. I acknowledge that it's not completely rational. >>

Pull the trigger on the 10 when you can.

There is nothing wrong with wanting the PSA slab to say Gem Mint.

• jay0791jay0791 Posts: 3,523 ✭✭✭✭
    He was a great player. Hof probably not

However his card does have demand and worth grading so the next few might be fresh psa subs.

Here is VCP info

Latest Auction Prices for: PSA 10 - Average Price: $1,382.00

/19/14 eBay Image www.stevenovella.com e***d 26 $1,382.00
    10/23/13 eBay Image mgsinisc 7***e 14 $961.59
    9/9/13 eBay Image apple383 n***n 22 $1,276.00
    9/8/13 eBay Image prewarcardcollector 7***e 42 $1,346.66
    4/17/13 eBay Image 4_sharp_corners e***d BIN $1,199.99
    5/20/12 SCP Auctions Image 12 $930.00
    2/8/09 eBay Image psuinnyc 4***a 9 $477.47
    7/8/07 eBay $371.00

Looks like it came up a number of times in 2013

best of luck. Great card

I have a nice 8 in my collection.
    Collecting PSA... FB,BK,HK,and BB HOF RC sets
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
    1948-1993 NY Yankee Team Sets
  • Thanks for the info, Jay. Looks like I picked the wrong year to finally get back into collecting.

• << <i>

<< <i>Any reasonably priced 10 is going to have those fisheyes/print defect's. Save your money and buy a nice 9 instead. >>

I hear that, I understand that, I totally agree. But I still want the 10. I'm also doing the Set Registry for Evans and I would like to have the #1 set at some point. I acknowledge that it's not completely rational. >>

There's nothing wrong with any of that. Nothing wrong with wanting a gem mint copy of the most important card of your favorite player. You picked a good one by the way, one of my very favorites. And nothing wrong with wanting to have the #1 registry set of your favorite player. Good luck all around!

I'm sending you a PM about a related matter.
  • mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭
    With five sales over the last two years, the answer to your question "What are chances that a PSA 10 will be available in the next 2-3 years?" -- very very high. ~90% probaility

m
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.

• << <i>With five sales over the last two years, the answer to your question "What are chances that a PSA 10 will be available in the next 2-3 years?" -- very very high. ~90% probaility

m >>

I certainly hope so. I've been resisting buying a nice 9 so that I can put those funds toward my eventual 10.

• dennis07dennis07 Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭
    I can foresee one coming on the market soon -possibly on the BST boards at a ridiculously high asking price.image
    Collecting 1970 Topps baseball
  • seebelowseebelow Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭
    I understand your passion. Don't settle for a nine. It would just be a filler card so save the money. You'd never be happy and on the look out anyways.

I do think one will appear. Also, slim chances for the HOF...good for you. But close enough chances that people will still be submitting, hoping.

Good luck.
    Interested in higher grade vintage cards. Aren't we all. image
  • So yeah, I kinda blew my budget and bought this. According to my digital calipers, centering is about 44.6 to 55.4, but hey, pop 1, I'll take it. I am pumped.

Now I've got to start a new fund to pick up a Topps 10. I missed the one that came up in the recent Heritage Auction, but not too broken up about it as I have this one to console me.

• DarinDarin Posts: 6,868 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congrats, that's a great looking card. image
  • Wow, that is a HUGE card!! Would you say it's the holy grail of Evans cards? I might check out your registry and the weighting to see how this card measures up. Congrats on an awesome score!
  • JBrulesJBrules Posts: 2,123 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Major score with that OPC Evans! Congrats and good luck with your registry quest to #1.
  • DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    WOW! Congrats! ALWAYS nice to see a fellow collector get something they always wanted. Was the seller willing to negotiate?
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • craig44craig44 Posts: 11,087 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congrats. I remember the original post. Glad the pop 1 belongs to you. I live in maine and have very fond memories of seeing Dewey play at Fenway in the 80's. A rifle arm in right.

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• << <i>WOW! Congrats! ALWAYS nice to see a fellow collector get something they always wanted. Was the seller willing to negotiate? >>

Unfortunately, he was not all that willing to budge. A prerequisite to being able to negotiate effectively is being willing to walk away. Fact is, I just wasn't willing. There was a good chance that this card could have been bought out from under me and then stayed in someone's collection for decades. I just couldn't let that happen, so after a few failed attempts to get some kind of back-and-forth on price and a little bit of research on the seller that seemed to indicate that he was under no pressure to sell, I just bucked up and overpaid. The money was saved in a fund that was totally outside my normal life money so it didn't affect me all that much. This is a card I will never ever part with under any circumstances, so if you see it on the market ever again, either it was stolen or I'm dead.

• << <i>Wow, that is a HUGE card!! Would you say it's the holy grail of Evans cards? I might check out your registry and the weighting to see how this card measures up. Congrats on an awesome score! >>

Looks like the OPC and Topps versions were each given the same weight. I'm not sure I agree with that and the Pop report seems to verify my thought that the OPC is tougher. If you go with that premise, then the OPC RC is 2nd only to the 85T mini, an issue I'm not familiar with.
  • Bosox1976Bosox1976 Posts: 8,550 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dynamite!

You got a beauty image
    Mike
    Bosox1976
  • FrozencaribouFrozencaribou Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congratulations! Hearing success stories about acquisitions that took monumental effort or time to track down are so inspiring. I'm sure you will get your Topps PSA 10 soon enough. Great work!

-Nathanael
  • shagrotn77shagrotn77 Posts: 5,577 ✭✭✭✭
    You don't have to worry about Evans making the HOF. He's never even come close.
    "My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • shagrotn77shagrotn77 Posts: 5,577 ✭✭✭✭
    On a separate note, that OPC rookie is a beauty. Congrats!
    "My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."

• << <i>Wow, that is a HUGE card!! Would you say it's the holy grail of Evans cards? I might check out your registry and the weighting to see how this card measures up. Congrats on an awesome score! >>

Yeah, I guess I would have to say it's the holy grail of Evans cards. Obviously the 1985 Topps Mini has a much rarer print run overall, with 10 or so in existence (minus one because one of them was destroyed by me in 2002...long story). But this one just feels like it might remain a pop 1 for a long time. I think the weighting for this is off for sure. Is there a way to have the weighting re-evaluated?

• Is it acceptable to update this thread with registry pickups and whatnot? Or is Evans too fringey a player for anyone to care? I'd just like to keep sort of an online diary of my charge to #1.

• grote15grote15 Posts: 29,670 ✭✭✭✭✭
    He may not make the HOF, but he was just as good, if not better than Jim Rice who is in the HOF.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • DarinDarin Posts: 6,868 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't think you need anyone's permission to update this thread, but Dwight Evans is as good a player to collect as any HOF'er. He had a great career and played the game the right way.
    BTW- I have an Alex Gordon thread on the set registry forum with only one post in three years, but once I start getting some more of his cards graded that thread is going to explode! Don't care if I'm the only one doing a Gordo set or not.
  • Congrats on the OPC, very nice! And feel free to keep this thread updated with you pickups, I always like reading posts from people who are excited about what they collect and I'm sure most others do s well.

• << <i>Congrats on the OPC, very nice! And feel free to keep this thread updated with you pickups, I always like reading posts from people who are excited about what they collect and I'm sure most others do s well. >>

+ a million!

I'm sure there are more people interested in this than in my football player collection threads. I agree that an online diary for your player collection is a neat thing to have. Update the snot out of this thing!
  • JBrulesJBrules Posts: 2,123 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Keep us updated for sure. I always like to follow fellow collectors goals. It helps me stay focused on my own goals.
  • If you're waiting for another PSA 10 Topps rookie to pop of Dewey, just
    keep watching 4 sharp corners listings, as they seem to have a knack of
    getting that grade on many tough cards.
  • GDM67GDM67 Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭✭
    That is a great score. Please keep us updated as you expand your collection. I like following other people's progress, no matter how I feel about who they collect and in this case, you have a very worthy subject.
  • DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭

<< <i>Is it acceptable to update this thread with registry pickups and whatnot? Or is Evans too fringey a player for anyone to care? I'd just like to keep sort of an online diary of my charge to #1. >>

I think there are many of us, including myself, that would like to see your progress on the set. Please include pics!
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • calaban7calaban7 Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭
    Keith , very nice pickup . I love your dedication to one of my favorite players .

I also like how you show your cards in your set , which is something I lack .

Keep on keeping on , Sonny
    " In a time of universal deceit , telling the truth is a revolutionary act " --- George Orwell
  • flatfoot816flatfoot816 Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭
    . I think the weighting for this is off for sure. Is there a way to have the weighting re-evaluated?

very nice card! as for your inquiry if I am not mistaken the weight assessed is directly related to the price of the card sales. That is often difficult to do with private transactions. You should contact PSA to request a re-eval and I think they will do it. I had them re-eval the weight of one of the Yaz rare cards -- cannot recall which one--and they did bump up the weight

• << <i>That is a great score. Please keep us updated as you expand your collection. I like following other people's progress, no matter how I feel about who they collect and in this case, you have a very worthy subject. >>

I agree. I like seeing people's collections of players that aren't the standard big name HOFers and the like. The Brett Butler collector guy is my hero.

• << <i>Keith , very nice pickup . I love your dedication to one of my favorite players .

I also like how you show your cards in your set , which is something I lack .

Keep on keeping on , Sonny >>

I would love to see your set updated with pics. By the way, I've been stockpiling low-pop, gradeable Evans oddballs for a PSA submission and will be submitting multiples. Some of these are ones that you are missing in your master set as well. I'm waiting to piggyback or to submit to a group sub, but I'm happy to share the leftovers at a reasonable cost once I get them back. I'll give you first dibs. :-)

• Probably going to slow down a bit after my OPC RC score, but I did just pick up the following:

The 1989 Topps was the last of the low-hanging fruit of the basic Topps cards that I needed, giving me the full run from 1982 to 1992 in PSA 10 and a 1974 in PSA 9 (no 10s exist). I say "low-hanging fruit" because all of these cards can be had for $30 or less. The rest, 1973, and 1975 to 1980 are each at least $100 cards. So now the real work begins to pick those off. Snagged it from a Probstein auction for a reasonable price. This is also one of Dewey's best looking Topps cards. Topps didn't do a great job of giving him interestingly composed photos, in my opinion. This and 1991 are probably my favorites. Been waiting about a year and a half for one of these to pop up.

Way overpaid for this 1983 Drake's, but it's a low pop that's been hanging around eBay for over a year, and the seller hasn't responded to any of my messages trying to dicker on price. Figured I'd grab it before I take a little breather so that I didn't give calaban7 a chance to snag it out from under me. :-)

And finally, this SGC 40 1972 Venezuelan Stickers. Not yet a part of the master set composite, but it seems like other players have these in theirs, so I can get it crossed over to PSA and request that it be added. This is one of the nicest copies of this card I've ever seen.

Great centering for sure, and the back isn't all hacked up as badly as so many other examples. The only other PSA pop for this is a PSA 1 and if I can beat that (which I think this card can), then this should give me a top-pop bonus as well. I had never seen what this card even looked like until a couple years ago. When I was a teenager, before the internet was a thing, this one was listed in all the annual price guides, but it was a huge mystery to me what it could possibly be. I'm pretty happy with the price I got this one for, as I've seen worse examples go for a good bit more.

• Man, the hits keep on coming! Nice work!
  • Yeah, my spending muscle got quite a workout, but I think it's time to rest it for a bit. :-)

• ReggieClevelandReggieCleveland Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Definitely keep updating the thread. I'd love to follow along as I'm a big Dewey fan.

Congrats on that 73 OPC and 72 Ven sticker. Those two are monsters.

Arthur
  • JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,710 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sweet cards, especially the Venezuelan!!!! Thanks for posting.
    2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set