Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

pwcc 1952 mantle psa-8...

Comments

• Options
    SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,105 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hopefully, I'm just being paranoid, but the bidding pattern of "1271" just does not look like that of a legitimate bidder, especially on an item of this stature.

Steve
  • Options
    seebelowseebelow Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭
    unfort. we've all seen a rare pokeman card, a magic black orchid (?) card, rare atari game , and other items i have no clue about but are in the 6 figures placed on ebay for auction.....with hype, news articles etc attracting bidders and trolls....i think they're now bidding on this one .....almost guaranteed brent doesn't get a check for the amount this 8 closes for....unfort.
    Interested in higher grade vintage cards. Aren't we all. image
  • Options
    belzbelz Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭
    I've said from the start there is very little chance this will end legit and I stand by it...not much more to say...gosh I hope someone with deep pockets that wants this cards proves me wrong..oh and the other threads, please...hate that we all don't get along, so wanting to check out as I don't have the time to understand the contention and don't want to be a part. Peace. Just watch cnn for 5 minutes and realize it's more important to be kind.
    "Wots Uh The Deal" by Pink Floyd
  • Options
    dberk12dberk12 Posts: 399 ✭✭
    I think it is unfortunate that a super high end card can't be sold on eBay without this nonsense. Obviously paying less juice to the 3rd party is better for everyone. A successful sale of this Mantle may have gone a long way in continuing to change the landscape of selling elite high end cards. I feel like they could have done a better job at screening the bidders for this card before the final 48 hours of bidding. This type of card demands rules that can attempt to filter out unscrupulous bids. Perhaps PWCC thinks they will benefit in the end if the shill/phony bids raise the price for a serious buyer at the conclusion of the auction. Seems like a very risky approach.

Baseball, it is said, is only a game. True. And the Grand Canyon is only a hole in Arizona.

-George F. Will
  • Options
    Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think it would be funny at this point since the auction has clearly been compromised to have someone open up a fresh EBAY account and place a $1,000,000 bid and then let 1271 place another 40 bids running it all the way up and then do a bid retraction and leave him with bids at those levels.

• Options
    Nothing more than a rabbit. Wolves eat those.
  • Options
    begsu1013begsu1013 Posts: 1,943 ✭✭
    at the 48hr mark, i would expect brent to go down the bid history list and cancel/legitimize bidders.

• Options
    80sOPC80sOPC Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I find it hard to believe that Brent doesn't have s strategy to make sure this card closes, and he gets paid. As Begsu points out, he will contact all bidders over a certain number and cancel and funny bids and monitor/approve bids over the last 48 hours. I'd bet a lot of money this card gets paid for.
  • Options
    All bids are funny. As we sit here discussing the ramifications of paying half a million bucks for a cardboard picture of a guy half the board thinks was a fair to middlin' player at best.
  • Options
    i agree that he should. But how does he go about that?

....even some with a low feedback number could be that multi-millionaire who can bid 600k on a card and doesn't usually do his shopping on ebay. and just registered for the auction. or has less than 10... I can easily go 48 hrs without checking my email or answering unknown phone numbers on my cell

• Options
    1271 has another bid retraction under his belt. Up to 10 now.

I am almost positive the winner of the Super Man Action Comics was a zero feedback bidder. The only difference is there was a pre qualification process.

• Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: Dpeck100

I am almost positive the winner of the Super Man Action Comics was a zero feedback bidder. The only difference is there was a pre qualification process.

That's his 2nd bid retraction in just this auction. The underbidder (942) doesn't look like he's been active much recently w/only 1 bid on 1 other item in the past 30 days, potentially a hijacked account.

Has anyone here who bid on the card been contacted by Brent yet?

ETA: Would anyone here pay the $250 overnight shipping? That's a card I would fly to pick up or pay extra to have a PWCC employee hand deliver with balloons.

• Options
    SdubSdub Posts: 736 ✭✭✭
    I think it would be funny at this point since the auction has clearly been compromised to have someone open up a fresh EBAY account and place a $1,000,000 bid and then let 1271 place another 40 bids running it all the way up and then do a bid retraction and leave him with bids at those levels.

Would this example show as a bid-retraction on the auction data on e-bay? Looking back at some of the high dollar cards i've won and wondering if this happened, but i see no example of the former high bidder retracting their bid and leaving me in first. Once someone retracts, is that bid removed from e-bay with no trace? Can you link and example, would love to see how that works.

Collecting PSA 9's from 1970-1977. Raw 9's from 72-77. Raw 10's from '78-'83.
    Collecting Unopened from '72-'83; mostly BBCE certified boxes/cases/racks.
    Prefer to buy in bulk.
  • Options
    Unless EBAY has changed it the retractions show under the bidding list.

• Options
    Originally posted by: belz
    I've said from the start there is very little chance this will end legit and I stand by it...not much more to say...gosh I hope someone with deep pockets that wants this cards proves me wrong..oh and the other threads, please...hate that we all don't get along, so wanting to check out as I don't have the time to understand the contention and don't want to be a part. Peace. Just watch cnn for 5 minutes and realize it's more important to be kind.

There's a 48 hour vetting process. I would think that takes care of your concerns. I know sometimes change is difficult for folks that have bought on the AH Jurassic park bidding software, stayed up till 3:00 AM bidding, not know who the other bidders are, have an auctions end 3 times...then start again, no transparency, can't snipe, and killed a forest to send a hard copy catalog that looks exactly the same on-line; but change is good. and e-bay/PWCC will deliver for this consignor one way or another.
    Prefer to buy in bulk.
  • Options
    KendallCatKendallCat Posts: 2,992 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have 21 bids on Ebay items this year and my wife has 20 retractions - I snuck in a 1975 Aaron she did not know about image

• Options
    1271 is up to 12 retractions.

Maybe he is canceling bids so he can pay for the Mantle. LOL

• Options
    Where do you see the retractions?
  • Options
    Just click on his bidder ID.

Bidder Information

Bidder: -***o ( 1271Feedback score is 1000 to 4,999)

Item description: 1952 Topps Mickey Mantle #311 PSA 8 NM-MT (PWCC)

Bids on this item: 30

30-Day Summary

Total bids: 277

Items bid on: 60

Bid activity (%) with this seller: 81% Help

Bid retractions: 4

Bid retractions (6 months): 12

• Options
    I have done that before. I was thinking you could click on the auction and see something different. Thank you for clarifying.

KC
  • Options
    So two bidders took this card from $433K to $460K. As Dpeck noted, one of the bidders has 12 retractions. How they are even allowed to bid on this card is criminal, but that's another story.

Last PSA 8 sold went for $309K three weeks ago, another sold last two months ago for $400K and another sold about 11 months ago for $268K. I would love for this thing to go off smooth, and I know this will eventually get worked out because PWCC is the best, but that's one hell of an appreciation if it sticks.
    Prefer to buy in bulk.
  • Options
    This whole thing was doomed from the beginning. What a shame. IF it is fraudulent, I wonder how PWCC will handle it. Brent will obviously want to relist it.
  • Options
    Resisting it wouldn't do any good. At one point I was serious on wanting it,but after some people here pointing out some things I'm out on it. Even if it's relisted I'll still be out. Too many things I've began to question. After this thread and some research,the price and process doesn't seem right. Thanks for saving me money thread posters!
    I really like serious people.
  • Options
    DM23HOFDM23HOF Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There's this PSA 6 at Goodwin right now, which looks really strong for the grade, and will likely cost way less than the 8. I have to say "likely" because a nice 52 Topps Mickey Mantle in this day and age can go bananas at auction...

Goodwin & Co. #311 Mick PSA 6
  • Options
    It was brought to my attention that indeed the top two bidders are real collectors. I personally wouldn't want to bid against someone who has no issue with retracting bids but some view EBAY differently then others. In my world if you bid you bid. Perhaps this person is using a bidding style to try and thwart of others from bidding. There are many motivating factors when bids are placed on EBAY so who knows what his are.

That said the top bidder is totally legit. If anyone wants to bid and take it higher you can feel confident you are bidding against a real interested party that can pay for the card.

• Options
    I see that at least one of our members has placed a bid on this card. I hope he gets it.
  • Options
    There are definitely legit bids in there.

1271 is not the only one with very shady bidding habits.

Bidding Details

Bidder Information

Bidder: g***c ( 775Feedback score is 500 to 999)

Item description: 1952 Topps Mickey Mantle #311 PSA 8 NM-MT (PWCC)

Bids on this item: 7

30-Day Summary

Total bids: 147

Items bid on: 115

Bid activity (%) with this seller: 85% Help

Bid retractions: 0

Bid retractions (6 months): 18

I totally get the high percentages at times when it is PWCC because they are getting so much of the graded card consignment business and if that is what you are into it is only natural that the ratio would be higher.

In this case we have 85% and it is on 115 items. Not just a handful. 18 bid retractions is ridiculous and essentially means this person is clearly going to bid cards higher on you with no intent to win in a lot of cases. You can't find a natural price when this is taking place.

• Options
    Got to love this from the Plank auction. This guy may be legit but this is bogus.

id retraction and cancellation history
    Bidder Action Date of Bid and Retraction
    -***o ( 1271Feedback score is 1000 to 4,999) Retracted: US $62,000.00
    Bid: Nov-04-15 21:53:00 PST
    Retracted: Nov-04-15 21:54:20 PST
    -***o ( 1271Feedback score is 1000 to 4,999) Retracted: US $60,349.00
    Bid: Nov-04-15 21:54:39 PST
    Retracted: Nov-05-15 12:32:57 PST

• Options
    From the Banks auction.

Bid retraction and cancellation history

-***o ( 1271Feedback score is 1000 to 4,999) Retracted: US $5,950.00

Bid: Nov-02-15 22:02:37 PST

Retracted: Nov-05-15 12:33:35 PST

• Options
    A very wascawee wabbit.
  • Options
    mintonlyplsmintonlypls Posts: 1,814 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have also heard that the high bidders are legit...and that Hill is in the mix. A record price for the grade will be paid.
    mint_only_pls
  • Options
    A positive about the surge in prices is that it is bringing out the "stars". Many beautiful cards are hitting the open market. How many PSA-9 Nolan Ryan rookies have sold at auction recently (Mile High 2...Heritage 1...Goodwin 1). Missing any?
    mint_only_pls
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,591 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: mintonlypls

I have also heard that the high bidders are legit...and that Hill is in the mix. A record price for the grade will be paid.

From whom did you hear this?

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    I know some on here make stink about the percentage of bids with a seller, but I put no relevance in that for determining shilling.

My percentage is also high with PWCC, but I've discussed several times on this board as to why it is like that. Multiple reasons, most of which have to do with my time. Time is money....

Prefer to buy in bulk.
  • Options
    A little birdy. Tweet...tweet. Seriously...I do not want to disclose my source...but he or she has reliable info.
    mint_only_pls
  • Options
    LOL...sounds credible.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    If someone wants to see if he has bid just whip out your VCP and see if the EBAY ID matches the 1984 Donruss #16 Matt Young PSA 10 Diamond Kings Perez Steele.

• Options
    This has been a fun one to not only watch, but I think it speaks to the importance of this card to the hobby and why everyone wants it to be an auction that turns out well - not just for the seller and buyer but for the hobby in general. This is the Mona Lisa or the Ferrari 250 GTO Berlinetta for our hobby.

The bidders with a lot of retractions have been called out and rightly so, and they also stopped bidding after a certain $$ amount. The current high bidder has zero retractions with perfect feedback. I can tell you for a fact that this person is 100% legit, and is a major collector - very good person to deal with and hopefully they end up winning it.
  • Options
    I don't doubt there are legitimate bidders in the mix. Hopefully, there are no bid retractions going forward. One of the issues with the ebay bidding format is that it allows bidders to retract their bids with no consequences.

• Options
  • Options
    From the Banks auction.

I may start a new thread based on this a*hole ***** (-***o). This is unbelievable.

I buy a lot of PSA 9's from PWCC, if this rat bids up a card and retracts, then I win, Brent's getting a personal phone call. The fact he's bidding on the Mantle is worrisome. I don't care how many consignments he has, he's a douchebag and needs to be blocked.

I'm now reviewing my past auctions to see if this happened. I normally wouldn't pay attention to the auction results that I win, but now I will.

You can be assured this is also happening at the AH's, but since that information is private, we don't see it.
    Prefer to buy in bulk.
  • Options
    Only #4? I think, at least symbolically, it deserves a #2.
  • Options
    Originally posted by: Sdub
    From the Banks auction.

I may start a new thread based on this a*hole ***** (-***o). This is unbelievable.

I buy a lot of PSA 9's from PWCC, if this rat bids up a card and retracts, then I win, Brent's getting a personal phone call. The fact he's bidding on the Mantle is worrisome. I don't care how many consignments he has, he's a douchebag and needs to be blocked.

I'm now reviewing my past auctions to see if this happened. I normally wouldn't pay attention to the auction results that I win, but now I will.

You can be assured this is also happening at the AH's, but since that information is private, we don't see it.

Please do. Only way to get this guy out of auctions is call him out. Why he is allowed to jack up auctions with no repercussions makes no sense. Once someone bids and retracts they should be out of that auction - period. Makes people pay more for auctions for no reason.

• Options
    that trending list requests no qualifers, its a 4.
  • Options
    I get it that some people are swimming in money but I would be so pissed if the dude that has a super shady bidding history pushed a card 30k higher on me.

If it is legit competition and a real bidding war erupts that is life but when you can see first hand that in two current auctions the scumbag has played the become high bid and retract game it isn't cool.

The dude may win a lot of auctions and be a real spender but having no ethics when it comes to your bids just isn't right.

• Options
    Dear World,

Please stop beating me.

Love,

Dead Horse
  • Options
    dberk12dberk12 Posts: 399 ✭✭
    I get it that some people are swimming in money but I would be so pissed if the dude that has a super shady bidding history pushed a card 30k higher on me.

If it is legit competition and a real bidding war erupts that is life but when you can see first hand that in two current auctions the scumbag has played the become high bid and retract game it isn't cool.

The dude may win a lot of auctions and be a real spender but having no ethics when it comes to your bids just isn't right.

I completely agree. Thanks for bringing this guy to my attention. I will definitely pay attention for now on.

Baseball, it is said, is only a game. True. And the Grand Canyon is only a hole in Arizona.

-George F. Will
  • Options
    belzbelz Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭
    Ok fine, I'll start the drum roll...
    "Wots Uh The Deal" by Pink Floyd
  • Options
    319 with the $100 bump. I will never understand bumping a card that has a current bid of over $460,000 by $100 bucks.

This is going to be a tough finish to call. I will go with it stays right here. Obviously 942 is double stacked so no telling what his max is. If you are being shilled the double or triple stacked bid is the easiest way to lose on purpose so no telling what his motivation is but it would appear he wants to win.

• Options
    one hour left....i don't think we'll be seeing fireworks.....the sweating it out will be at pwcc awaiting payment..or do they take the 6 month no interest option?