Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

pwcc 1952 mantle psa-8...

3 minutes in and setting at $215k. I think it breaks $400k...nice centering w/o a tilt. Beautiful card.
mint_only_pls

Comments

• Options
    mintonlyplsmintonlypls Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Already at $300k! Fun to watch...
    mint_only_pls
  • Options
    Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Top bids look really interesting.

I hope for Brent and the seller's sake this doesn't turn into a Strasburg auction where idiots with no chance of ever paying for the card bid it to a million.

• Options
    I think bidding on this card is bringing ebay to a crawl. ; )
    mint_only_pls
  • Options
    Great looking card and as Brent would say worthy of the finest collection.

I hate seeing two suspicious bidders run the card this high this quick.
  • Options
    KendallCatKendallCat Posts: 2,978 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: Dpeck100
    Top bids look really interesting.

I hope for Brent and the seller's sake this doesn't turn into a Strasburg auction where idiots with no chance of ever paying for the card bid it to a million.

Hope that does not happen. Wonder if Brent has a plan in place if the card sells for "x" and top bid backs out and the next bid is still over a minimum of say $415k - will they offer it to the next bidder? Some strong buyers are going after this one, and with no hammer I see it going over $425k. Big win for PWCC if they get a big number for future big items - will help them land more big items that would normally go to AH's.

• Options
    Bidding Rules: This event will remain open to public bidding until the final 48 hours of the auction. From that point forward, only those IDs which have been 'approved' by PWCC will be allowed to participate in the final two days. All bids received between October 29th and November 6th will be reviewed and all approved bidders will be added to the approved bidder list automatically. If you have not placed a bid on the item prior to November 6th, you'll need to contact PWCC Auctions to have your ID included in the approved bidding list.

Note about late bidding (including snipe bidding): We strongly encourage all bids to be placed at least 1 hour prior to the auction closing. We have empowered eBay to monitor every auction we run and this can create blocks for certain IDs which could take minutes or hours to resolve. Even if you have placed a bid prior to the final 48 hours, we strongly encourage your final bid to be placed at least 60 minutes prior to the auction closing. This auction will close precisely at the minute and second specified on eBay. There is no extended bidding period for any PWCC auction item. Once the auction is over, the sale is final.
  • Options
    ???
  • Options
    Are you talking about the yellow tent in the blue next to his ear?

I don't know the issue and what to look for other than a very obvious stain.
  • Options
    On the 56 Mantle yes that looks off - otherwise a great card.
  • Options
    Good for PWCC to auction such a high end card. He's a hard worker and deserves his success.
  • Options
    flatfoot816flatfoot816 Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    begsu1013begsu1013 Posts: 1,943 ✭✭
    Originally posted by: mjohnatgt
    I think the disclaimer is an attempt to get back some trust after eBay didn't process some bids for the Jordan PMG that were in the $100K range and it only sold for $90K due to eBay throttling issues for that auction. Weird to see a request from PWCC that you place your bid at least an hour before the auction ending time... But he probably got some flak from not honoring that sale and re-listing it.

same w/ the m101 ruth. that card shoulda went another 20k higher...

• Options
    seebelowseebelow Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭
    can i use by ebay bucks..thats 500?

and my ebay Target $100 gift cards x3..save 15 bucks?
    Interested in higher grade vintage cards. Aren't we all. image
  • Options
    Originally posted by: seebelow
    can i use by ebay bucks..thats 500?

and my ebay Target $100 gift cards x3..save 15 bucks?

Go ahead and stick in one bid just so you can say you were in the running. Can you imagine the stress of waiting to see if someone makes a higher bid?
  • Options
    dberk12dberk12 Posts: 399 ✭✭
    That card is ridiculous. Now if I can only win my fantasy football league 250,000 times I may be able to go for it. Fingers crossed.

Baseball, it is said, is only a game. True. And the Grand Canyon is only a hole in Arizona.

-George F. Will
  • Options
    mickeymantle24mickeymantle24 Posts: 2,768 ✭✭✭
    If pwcc would do 30 yr financing on this one I'm in!
  • Options
    What if we all go in on it and buy it. We could pass it around like the Stanley Cup - one month for see below, one for begsu, one for dberk...
  • Options
    then we hype it like crazy on the CU boards which will surely increase its value 100 fold from its current half million value, then buy a small island with the proceeds.

aww...too soon..i retract that statement...btw have you seen the 2010's honda accords lately? sweet car, a steal at its current value..can only go up...iconic for current college students....ill post pics..low mileage
  • Options
    jackstrawjackstraw Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭
    I wonder if this is a new card through the doors or just a reslab?
    Collector Focus

ON ITS WAY TO NEWPORT BEACH, CA 92658
  • Options
    Originally posted by: seebelow
    then we hype it like crazy on the CU boards which will surely increase its value 100 fold from its current half million value, then buy a small island with the proceeds.

aww...too soon..i retract that statement...btw have you seen the 2010's honda accords lately? sweet car, a steal at its current value..can only go up...iconic for current college students....ill post pics..low mileage

What grade is the Accord? image

Actually that is all I have owned since 1995 is Accords - let the wife get whatever she wants. Great car - V6 gets 35-36 on the HWY, good horsepower, comfy. Last one had 202k miles before a guy begged me to sell it to him for his daughter. Sold it and grabbed a 2013. Told my son he gets it in 6 years when he can drive and dad gets a sports car. Told the wife my license plate will be MLCRSIS for mid life crisis image
  • Options
    hdunkhdunk Posts: 76 ✭✭
    It was around in 2005.

August 2008 auction
  • Options
    PSASAPPSASAP Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭
    Interesting that it was reholdered. If the same guy who bought it in 2005 is the one selling it now, he's got a pretty sweet profit coming his way, probably at least $350k.
  • Options
    Already over $400k!
  • Options
    It's definitely a sharp card.I'm going to see where it's at in a few days,but I know it's going to go for more than what I'd pay for it.
    I really like serious people.
  • Options
    at least no commission or fees...its sells for what it sells at,,,,wonder if ebay is giving pwcc a break on their fees
  • Options
    Went back through all of the past PSA 8 sales from the past 7-8 years, and I would say outside of any untracked sales or auction house sales this example is the nicest one sold from a centering and eye appeal perspective. Might explain why this card is already at crazy levels.
  • Options
    Steady climb towards one half million! I like the time share purchase idea at this point...
    mint_only_pls
  • Options
    Originally posted by: mintonlypls
    Steady climb towards one half million! I like the time share purchase idea at this point...

I'm in for the Stanley Cup idea. I just told my kids that they are not going to college so there are some funds now available.

Baseball, it is said, is only a game. True. And the Grand Canyon is only a hole in Arizona.

-George F. Will
  • Options
    belzbelz Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: dberk12
    Originally posted by: mintonlypls

I'm in for the Stanley Cup idea. I just told my kids that they are not going to college so there are some funds now available.

I'm in for a percent or 2, lol.
    "Wots Uh The Deal" by Pink Floyd
  • Options
    flatfoot816flatfoot816 Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭
    group rip?
  • Options
    This is not my thought but it was pointed out to me by another more observant collector that we may have a problem. Upon further review, is there a spot or stain between the "ey" of "Mickey" and the script M? If that is the case then we can't pay a penny over 450K, lol.

-George F. Will
  • Options
    begsu1013begsu1013 Posts: 1,943 ✭✭
    i never listen to that guy.
  • Options
    KC...ah the old midlife crisis...my buddies are already preparing for it...starting to look up used porsches, small planes, etc...waiting for the kids to go off to college..and of course they take the accord with them...gotta replace it with something with 2 less doors
  • Options
    Count me in as well.
  • Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    Originally posted by: KendallCat
    What if we all go in on it and buy it. We could pass it around like the Stanley Cup - one month for see below, one for begsu, one for dberk...

OK ... here's what we do. Let's get 500 guys to put up $1,000.00 each. After we win, each guy gets to keep the card for ONE WEEK. In TEN YEARS, after we each had the card for a week, we sell it and split the profit. Imagine if one person lost the card?
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    belzbelz Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭
    Can you imagine if PSA put the ST on the label? Difference of 350k.
    "Wots Uh The Deal" by Pink Floyd
  • Options
    It's pretty close to what I'd pay,but to shell out over 400k to sit on for a couple years to flip or to just pc it takes some guts. Every time I want to click that bid button my mind says I'm nuts. It would look nice in my card room,though.
  • Options
    If I buy anything that costs $400k or more I am sure that I better use Zillow and not VCP to determine the value.
  • Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    If you DO go that route, let's hope you use something other than Zillow! LOL
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    maddux69maddux69 Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: Dboneesq

OK ... here's what we do. Let's get 500 guys to put up $1,000.00 each. After we win, each guy gets to keep the card for ONE WEEK. In TEN YEARS, after we each had the card for a week, we sell it and split the profit. Imagine if one person lost the card?

Better yet, if 100 people could put in 5k, I would be in. Think of it is 5k per share and you can buy as many shares as you like. We could keep it at a centralized location(Joe O are you listening?) and then be brought to the National every year for visitation. image
  • Options
    At $425,500 now, it's centering does make it probably one of the best 6 psa 8's.

• Options
    Originally posted by: belz

I noticed that as well - right below the "EY" does not look good.

• Options

I noticed that as well - right below the "EY" does not look good.

It's a small stain that's why there's no qualifier.
    PSA graded the card correctly.
  • Options
    That one stain is small, but there are larger yellow stains in the blue background. The centering is elite among the 311 Mantle cards I have been looking at as I am shopping for this card at present, but the graders must have missed those stains in the blue. Those buggers are subtle, but once seen, all I see.
  • Options

Yeah, we have a open discussion over on the Net54 boards about this STAIN!!!!

does anyone see the stain? including psa
    should be 8 (st)
    BUY THE CARD NOT THE HOLDER

Yes, below the EY on the front, pretty bold for a PSA 8 of this caliber. Crazy stuff!

so the card would be a great psa 6 level...60k range and not 300k? .....I think someone will buy the holder not the card

I don't know what that would be a stain from. It's definitely noticeable but it certainly doesn't seem to be a factor in the bidding so far. With the centering I will not be surprised if it closes over 400k.

Collecting RC's (mostly 40-60's)
  • Options
    On a '52, lately, my eyes goes to the centering,...first....Now that its been pointed out, all I see is that stain..Huge!...at least when u talk about 6 figures, its huge. Enough where it overshadows the centering...(which is unreal)

I think someone (2 people) were buying the flip in the rush/excitement to bid its first day. And possibly didnt really notice it. I didnt. I have a feeling the bids slow to a stop now and one of the first three in line are looking on how to retract their bid if it gets back to them. I hope not. But for 400K..hmmm
  • Options
    I totally overlooked it,too. It makes my decision easier. It's a really nice card, but I have to wonder how it got an 8.
  • Options
    Like a scratch or small dent on a 1963 Corvette split top. You might be the only one who knows it is there while everyone glows a out your car, but every time you look at the car your eyes go straight to that spot. Beautiful card no doubt, but if I am buying a new house I don't want the porch jacked up at the closing.
  • Options
    PSASAPPSASAP Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭
    What percentage of your net worth would you be comfortable spending on a single baseball card? 10%? 5%? No doubt whoever is bidding on this is a multimillionaire, or possibly an investment group looking to diversify.
  • Options
    Originally posted by: PSASAP
    What percentage of your net worth would you be comfortable spending on a single baseball card? 10%? 5%? No doubt whoever is bidding on this is a multimillionaire, or possibly an investment group looking to diversify.

That is a very good question. I guess the smart answer should be what you can afford to lose. While PSA makes it a lot safer with grading/encapsulating/authenticating it is a lot of coin. Heaven forbid any type of huge issue ever happened with graded cards and they went back to Beckett prices it would be ouch time for sure.

I agree it is either someone with big pockets, possible investment group, or someone who has built up their collection over say 20-25 years who has cards as a total value of $1-1.5 million. They sell off $500k worth knowing they want this one particular Mantle and are all in on it.