Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

The Michael F. Hayes Barber Megathread

Comments

• Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I saw one of those crappy fakes sell for around $50 the other day!
  • Options
    barberkeysbarberkeys Posts: 4,153 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mike - I look forward to seeing pics of Dave's (srotags) circ barber qtrs, especially the 01-S.

Jeff & Darrell - Thanks for reporting those fakes, potential collectors are ruined by buying that junk.

Pics for this AM, more from my raw set:

Vern
    l
    It's not having what you want, it's wanting what you've got.
  • Options
    MFHMFH Posts: 11,720 ✭✭✭✭

Vern,

He doesn't have images posted on his Everyman set, yet.
    He is hoping to get images taken this Spring at his bank.
    He has asked a professional photographer to come in and
    image a number of his coins.

Yesterday, I received the 1910-D Dime I won on eBay....
    wonder why I say "won" ...it was a BIN. Regardless, it's off
    to the CAC factory for their opinion, along with 15 of its
    sisters .... And 45 Quarters .... A total of 61 coins. This
    very well may be the last bulk submission of Dimes and
    Quarters that I ever do.

Next: "The Halves".

Sent in five submissions to our hosts. This should be very
    interesting. The coins arrived on Monday ... And one is a
    "Walkthru". So... I am holding my breath !!

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Coin collecting is not a hobby, it's an obsession !

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    paesanpaesan Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mike, Don't forget the Platinum CAC stickers are available at the bargain basement price of two dollars per slab at The Stash headquarters, and if you send in 61 coins, I think the boss can do even better.

Paesan
    More coins, less government.
  • Options

If only it were that simple....lol

The upgrade submissions are at our host, they'll
    also get the nod to go to the Bean Factory. I've got
    my toes and fingers crossed on these babies.

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    valente151valente151 Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭

<< <i>The upgrade submissions are at our host, they'll
    also get the nod to go to the Bean Factory. I've got
    my toes and fingers crossed on these babies. >>

Good luck... You're gonna need it! imageimageimage
  • Options
    Mike V, Enjoyed seeing your proof Mercs. Thanks for the link.

Paesan
  • Options
    Mike - 61 coins to the bean factory is a lot of money, a nice coin or two to my way of thinking. Are you getting ready to sell?

Paesan - I like your Platinum bean offer, a good bang for the buck.

Mike V - Really nice proof mercs.

Pics for this AM, a rarity (in that it's not a qtr), from Doug's collection, PC35:

Vern
    l
  • Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I picked this one up over the weekend as a possible upgrade to my 7070 Variety Set;

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options

Great re punched date.

Thanks for sharing it !!

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    Vern, That "rarity" from Doug's collection was mine for a while, and I just passed it along to Justin, where it will stay for quite some time, I'm sure.
  • Options
  • Options
    What is it with this thread? image On the thread listing (front page) it shows the last entry on Jul 23 2015 @ 12:34 PM by paesan.

The last visible entry was Jul 21 2015 @ 7:24 AM (last edited 10:25 PM) by MFH.

Is it because there are too many images? image

I am posting this blurp on 23 Jul 2105 @ 2:48 PM CST...let's see how long it takes to become visible.
    oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options

oih82w8..... Relax... Enjoy your Summer .... The slowest time of the year for coin collecting.
    Feel free to post Barber images to your heart's content. I see lots of postings with tons of images,
    since I posted on 7-21-15.

Maybe you're not receiving them on your device ?

As some know, Valente151 spent the 4th of July weekend at my home imaging coins that I did
    not have professionally images coins... ( just the sellers images ) ..I should have approximately
    161 Coins' images to post, which will be done slowly. I don't want a feast or famine happening on
    this thread either. I won't have any images for about 10-12 days.

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    JeffMTampaJeffMTampa Posts: 3,270 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Another new purchase, a 1903 O 50C graded AU 58 by NGC:

I don't think it has much of a chance of crossing at the same grade, but it looks like a solid bet at 55 (to me). I like the look of the coin- it's a nice upgrade to my current 53 no matter. It has a decent strike for a New Orleans coin. image >>

I was conservative on my prediction and Darrell was the aggressive one. The grades posted today- it crossed at the same grade, another 58 for my set.

Altogether I submitted 5 coins for crossover in 5 different holders, ANACS white/ blue/ gold and NGC current and old. All crossed, 3 at the same grade and 2 a step down. All in all I'm very happy with the results! imageimageimage

Photos to follow when the coins come back.
    I love them Barber Halves.....
  • Options
    dogwooddogwood Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>What is it with this thread? image On the thread listing (front page) it shows the last entry on Jul 23 2015 @ 12:34 PM by paesan.

The last visible entry was Jul 21 2015 @ 7:24 AM (last edited 10:25 PM) by MFH.

Is it because there are too many images? image

I am posting this blurp on 23 Jul 2105 @ 2:48 PM CST...let's see how long it takes to become visible. >>

Helpful Hint if you're saying what I think you're saying-
    When you enter the last page and it doesn't justify, go to the address bar and select all, then copy, then cut, then paste, then delete the last numeral and replace it with a sequential one ie:
    72......7_.....73, then enter
    Viola! You're always on top of things when they don't add up like you illustrate.
    We're all born MS70. I'm about a Fine 15 right now.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Another new purchase, a 1903 O 50C graded AU 58 by NGC:

I don't think it has much of a chance of crossing at the same grade, but it looks like a solid bet at 55 (to me). I like the look of the coin- it's a nice upgrade to my current 53 no matter. It has a decent strike for a New Orleans coin. image >>

I was conservative on my prediction and Darrell was the aggressive one. The grades posted today- it crossed at the same grade, another 58 for my set.

Altogether I submitted 5 coins for crossover in 5 different holders, ANACS white/ blue/ gold and NGC current and old. All crossed, 3 at the same grade and 2 a step down. All in all I'm very happy with the results! imageimageimage

Photos to follow when the coins come back. >>

Jeff! I think I would like you to submit some coins for me! Congrats!

You wouldn't believe the 08-S I have submitted 3 times! David Kahn and I both agree it is a 58+. I sent it in regular and it came back Unc details cleaned, Then sent it in economy and it came back 62! Last try was through David express and it came back Unc details cleaned again! I wish yall could see this coin in hand...sure it has a wisp of a hairline here and there but it is a blazer with just a hint of friction on the cheek that pretty much beats any 58 I own including my 98-O in 58+! The LOL for what it is worth is I cracked the coin out of an old Green PCI 64 holder....I bought it knowing I would get a 58. Oh well...I have passed on 2 08-S's PCGS Graded 58 because I like this coin way,WAY more!
  • Options
    TopographicOceansTopographicOceans Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    Darrell,

I think you should send the coin (raw) to Don Willis for his opinion.
    Furthermore, if you have a good relationship with him, ask him, not
    Jeff, to submit the coin for you. Even though the graders are "blind" image
    to the name of the submitter, I think you'd still do far better with his
    help.

I like David Kahn and value his opinion as well. Your dual collaboration
    should have resulted better results on that 08-S than it has. Oh, BTW:
    where are the images ? LOLimage

Edit to add: Nice cameo contrast on that Proof Half...Thanks for sharing it !!
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    Jeff, Congrats again on your crossovers. You have an amazing batting average, and every time I think you'll regress to the mean, you have another killer submission. Kudos!

Daryl, For my own edification, what is the proper way to spell your name? I've seen several variations here.

Mike, Your last comment about sending a coin to Don for submission is troubling to me, but I don't doubt your take on it one iota.

Well, all of you who know me here know how I feel about throwing dollars to TPGs and CAC, but I'll admit I sent a submission in yesterday for 10 reconsiderations. Mike, Mike, Dave and Jeff have seen the coins at FUN. If I don't score on at least 4, I'll never do another recon. (T least until the next time I have 10 under-graded beauties!)

Paesan
  • Options
    I don't always do well with grading. Last month I sent in 5 PCGS coins for reconsideration. Four were for potential upgrades and one was a MS '15 D Half rthat was called cleaned (lot's of die polish). I struck out- I went 0 for 5; that was an expensive lesson- I got NOTHING for my $$$. Oh well, I generally do well.

I'm wondering if one is better off submitting coins raw instead of for reconsideration. Perhaps the graders are more open minded with raw coins? image
  • Options
    LogPotatoLogPotato Posts: 2,176 ✭✭✭✭
    I am of the opinion, even if they don't see the grade, they see the TPG slab (either theirs or another's), wouldn't that make them stray on the cautious side? I don't know, I always crack if I am sending them in. Playing on the less expensive side of the street where a downgrade means very little, I'd rather not put doubt in their mind.
  • Options

<< <i>I don't always do well with grading. Last month I sent in 5 PCGS coins for reconsideration. Four were for potential upgrades and one was a MS '15 D Half rthat was called cleaned (lot's of die polish). I struck out- I went 0 for 5; that was an expensive lesson- I got NOTHING for my $$$. Oh well, I generally do well.

I'm wondering if one is better off submitting coins raw instead of for reconsideration. Perhaps the graders are more open minded with raw coins? image >>

I learned a lesson the hard way! The best way to submit for an upgrade is regrade...aka....they crack the coin out and it is submitted to the graders without knowing the previous grade. They are also covered by the grade guarantee. I wasted $800 at a show trying to upgrade some of my 55's before I learned this. image They were an economy show grade and were not supposed to be ready until Saturday. I submitted them Thursday afternoon and they were done Friday morning. Does make me scratch my head!

Mike...somehow I don't see how that would fly for a number of reasons!

Paesan...image I'm not lazy...it's Darrell
  • Options

<< <i>
    Mike, Your last comment about sending a coin to Don for submission is troubling to me, but I don't doubt your take on it one iota.
    Paesan >>

I gave it a lot of thought before commenting on that plan of action. I wouldn''t suggest doing that UNLESS you were
    close with Don and actually had been in communication with Don. He was (is) a dealer who specialized in Barbers ( from what
    I have heard ) .... and his expertise would be invaluable. That's all I meant to say. I know the graders are blind to the submitters'
    identities but he might get to the top of the pecking order on a submission. Who knows.
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    Stuck thread...

Last post I see was by MFH on Tuesday July 21, 2015 7:24 AM, no matter if I use IE or Firefox.

Although I see more recent postings by MFH @ Jul/24/2015 12:40 PM image

• Options

OhIH82W8....

I fixed the problem [ sort of ] about not seeing new postings.
    I changed the order in which I get to view posts.

Under Customize, they ask Do You Want To See The Latest Post To The Topic On Top ?
    Check YES - and you will automatically get the most recent posts.

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • Options

<< <i>I gave it a lot of thought before commenting on that plan of action. I wouldn''t suggest doing that UNLESS you were
    close with Don and actually had been in communication with Don. He was (is) a dealer who specialized in Barbers ( from what
    I have heard ) .... and his expertise would be invaluable. That's all I meant to say. I know the graders are blind to the submitters'
    identities but he might get to the top of the pecking order on a submission. Who knows. >>

Mike- you do know that Don Willis has the #1 Everyman Barber Half Set (soon to be all denomination sets) ahead of Darrell, don't you? In my wildest imagination I can't imagine Don would reach out to give Darrell a break. I'm confident he would want to have the grading room run fairly, but Don is a competitive guy (like most of us) and likely wouldn't intervene if it were going to hurt him. Just my thoughts.
  • Options

Always good to have friends in high places.

I don't think Darrell and Don exchange Christmas cards though....
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    Darrell: Duly noted. Thanks!
  • Options
    oih8 - Neat repunching on your '92 dime.

Paesan - The 08-O half certainly has the Justin look. Good luck on your reconsiderations.

Mike - Look forward to the pics.

Jeff - Congrats on your crosses.

TO - Nice cameo on your half, thanks for posting.

Pics for this AM, a couple more from my raw set:

Vern
    l
  • Options
    Another raw pickup, a 1897 Barber Half. Although it's a boring white coin (likely dipped), it still looks great and the price was right. I'm hoping for a 58, and I think it has a good shot. I don't need another 55; I found another raw '97 a couple months ago that looked 58 to me; it returned 55. It will be shipped off to our hosts in a few days.

It looks better than most of the 58's in my set, but PCGS has become very stingy as of late. Wish me luck! image
  • Options
    Jeff,The only thing I see that could hold that coin back is luster. Good Luck!
  • Options
    valente151valente151 Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Jeff,The only thing I see that could hold that coin back is luster. Good Luck! >>

The fields look to have no bloom, I can't get higher than 55. This may be the result of a strong cleaning, in which case it could come back genuine, hard to tell from the picture though.

I don't add much on this thread, but appreciate seeing the coins yall share. image

Paesan- I nope the reconsiderations go well, I liked a couple of those for upgrades. I prefer raw as top choice, and regrade if not, have only done reconsideration on green holders in the past, and made out ok.

BK- I like those circs. That's one thing that's nice about barbers, they wear pretty nicely.
  • Options
    A couple new additions to my Liberty Nickel collection, a couple of PCGS MS 65's. First up a 1899 with a Green Bean:

Next up, a 1903:

No color in these coins, but still nice. I purchased these in the current holders.
  • Options

Jeff...Great looking Nickels.

Mike V was nice enough to image all the newps I had built up since last year when he was visiting.

I promise not to deluge the thread with lots of pictures.

Here's a newp - basically a duplicate - for my Quarter set:

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    Jeff - Good luck with the '97. Nice V nicks, congrats.

Mike V - Thanks, they do wear well.

Mike - Real nice spare. Album toning to the max.

Pics for this AM, newp into Paesan's Stash, PC55:

Vern
    l
  • Options
    daveyndaveyn Posts: 150 ✭✭
    Don't get a chance to post many pics to the thread, but I did finally find an XF coin at the Missouri Numismatic Show in St. Louis this week, it's a decent 1909 XF-45 that the dealer was only asking Grey Sheet price for. It looked real nice in hand and fits with my other XF coins so I took it. I usually have trouble finding any XF's at all, there was about 120 dealers set up, even stopped at JJ Teaparty table and couldn't believe that Scott had no AU or XF barber halves at all. Got to meet Dave Earp the BCCS Secretary-Treasurer, first BCCS member I've met other than Vern, he was set up and had a nice AU-50 1912-D of which I was in no need of. I hope to see a few of the BCCS members in the Chicago ANA next month.

1909 XF

It appears to have a die break at the base of the neck.
  • Options
    Here's a newly imaged Dime - yes - another duplicate

1812 Posts on Part 3

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    Dave - Really nice '09 half. Congrats on the acquisition. See you at the Fly-In mtg on Friday afternoon at the ANA.

Mike - Another album toned beauty, a dime to match yesterday's qtr.

Hope to see a few of you at the ANA Barber Society mtg on Wednesday at 9AM.

Pics for this AM, a couple more from my raw set:

Vern
    l
  • Options
    Mike, that '92 O 10C is a beauty! image
  • Options

Here's a Half that I picked up from Jay Cosetta on eBay. { formerly known as BNB }
    My friend Glenn Holsonbake knew him and I have met him a few times. He has great
    taste in coins - and this came from his newps a few months back.

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    daveyndaveyn Posts: 150 ✭✭
    Real nice coin Mike, great colors.
  • Options
    Remember this one ?

It was in an NGC 65 Green CAC ... I just got it back
    from our hosts - and it now needs to go back to CAC.
    We'll see if it beans - or not - once its out of its CAC'd
    holder - all bets are off. Which I find disturbing.

I also just had this one imaged as well...

This belonged to a friend - I spotted it at auction - and grabbed it. The color grabbed me.

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    Mike, beautiful V Nickels- they do tone nice!

Hijack the thread back to Halves for a moment, a new raw pickup. A common date 1915 D:

I already have a 58 in the set, but I like the luster on this coin. I quite confident this one will 58.
  • Options

Jeff....Stunning 1915-D Half !!!

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    Back to the Liberty Nickel channel.

A new raw pickup, a 1889 5C with a lot of color:

This is a tougher date, I'm hoping this will 63 but I think it will probably 62. Off to our hosts for their opinion.
  • Options
    Mike - Good looking coins.

Jeff - Tons of pizzaz on your 15-D.

Pics for this AM, a qtr with pizzaz, PC65:

Vern
    l
  • Options
    Vern- tha's a great looking quarter. image

I received several new coins for my Barber Half set in the mail yesterday- I won't clog up the thread with all of them at once.

First up, a 1909 O PC AU 53:

I purchased this in an old NGC AU 55 slab; it crossed at PCGS a grade lower. I wasn't surprised at a downgrade, but I do think it's a little nicer than a typical 53.
  • Options
    Labelman87Labelman87 Posts: 610 ✭✭✭✭
    Vern, The 96-O Quarter ...another superb coin. Best wishes to BCCS for a great show.
    Craig

• Options
    My newest 1896-O - [ newly imaged as well ] ...which is at our hosts being graded as I type this:

My current older 1896-O -

----which I liked as well as my 1st set's example:

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file