Home U.S. Coin Forum

The Michael F. Hayes Barber Megathread

Comments

• amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I kindda figured my pictures would cause the grades thought! Unfortunately my pic's of the S/S don't really show the luster beamimng through the sinfully original skin on this coin! I actually had to put my money where my mouth is to save this coin from the hammer! This coin could easily end up in a 62 holder!

Now I have a dilmea. I have all the varities except the micro O in AU. I almost purchase the 1 Labstein has now when it was in a 53 holder for almost 5 figures less than he is asking but just couldn't justify the price. It passed through at least 2 other dealers before he ended up with it. My bank account tells me I need to sell my 55. My collection tells me to keep my 55 since it isn't an S/S. I have tried the coin 2 times trying to get it in a 58 holder. I also think the right person could get it in a 58 holder. I might try it one more time as the 2 times I tried it was through reconsideration without the coin being cracked out.

Now here is some real food for thought! Where are all the 07-S Barber Half's graded AU? Looking in coin facts you will see it has the least appearances in AU at auction of any date in the series aside from the micro O! There have only been 2 50's(a 3rd is a cleaned details),1 53, and Mike's 58 auctioned as far back as coin facts records go.

Mike, I have absolutely no doubt if your 58 sold today at auction it would sail past the 5 figure mark!

• paesanpaesan Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jeff, Don't think the 03 will get to surf city. I sent in 10 coins for recon and only one got the nod, so it was an expensize (and foolish) upgrade in my eyes and I'm now married to the coin.

Paesan

More coins, less government.
  • barberkeysbarberkeys Posts: 4,154 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Darrell - So both your 07-S's were graded 55? And where are the AU 07-S's? I used to have one in 53.

Mike - I think the eye appeal of your 07-S in 58 drove it to that price, with the RPM just being incidental.

Paesan - I thought a couple of your other ones had a decent chance for upgrade, you just caught them at the wrong time.

Pics for this AM, formerly mine in a 53 holder:

Vern
    l
    It's not having what you want, it's wanting what you've got.
  • JeffMTampaJeffMTampa Posts: 3,278 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've been looking for an AU '07 S Half for about 4 years now. Although I've seen a few cleaned/ damaged examples I haven't seen a single coin that would grade, be it raw or in a TPG slab.
    I love them Barber Halves.....
    Verne,Guess I wasn't clear. The 07-S/S is a 58 with a green bean.
    Jeff - I'd been looking for a nice orig XF 07-S for years, and up until 3 months ago couldn't find anything. Very under-rated date in XF and AU.

Darrell - I figured one of them had to be a 58.

Pics for this AM, the 07-S in my raw set, an acquisition from Doug a few years ago:

Vern
    l
    It's time to GUESS THE GRADE!!!

This coin came back from PCGS yesterday:

Guesses??
    These are so hard to judge in pictures. I say worst case 62,best 64
  • LogPotatoLogPotato Posts: 2,176 ✭✭✭✭
    I said 64 way back when you got it, I'll stick with it.
  • MFHMFH Posts: 11,720 ✭✭✭✭

That 1904 Phila is at least a 64.... I also hate to grade by images but
    from what I saw, I see no reason it's not in a 65+ holder. It's the luster
    that will end up determine the actual grade. Hard to capture the luster
    even by the most seasoned professional photographer. Nice coin.

As far as the 07-S date, it's not an easy find, in either the Quarter or the Half Dollar.
    My Quarter is just a place holder until I can locate an AU example. My Half - although
    a 50 - is a tad off color for my liking .... too bluish an Obverse. I'd replace it in a
    heart beat if I ever found a better look to match up with the coins surrounding it.
    As Vern mentioned, he's been looking for 4 years. ( I am assuming you meant Halves,
    Vern ).

The few placeholders I have in my Quarter set may very well stay there for a few years;
    those semi key dates in AU just are not available. I guess, by the time I actually find them,
    it'll be time to sell off the set. { This time, however, I plan on cherry pick out coins I have
    no intention of ever selling for as long as possible. }.

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Coin collecting is not a hobby, it's an obsession !

New Barber Purchases
    A $77 raw eBay find came back from PCGS yesterday, a 1908 Liberty Nickel:

PCGS calls this one a MS 65. I'm not certain it's worthy of that grade, but it is a nice coin. The PCGS Price Guide says this one's worth $1,100 in this slab. Not bad for a $77 investment.
    Another new addition for my Everyman's Barber Half set, this time a slight downgrade.

As some of you may recall I submitted a 1907 O NGC AU 58 for crossover at PCGS earlier this year. The coin crossed as a 58+; the only one out there. It was fun to have, but I didn't think the coin was a stunner, and since I'll never be competitive with the top 3 sets the "+" points did little for me. I decided to trade it on a multi-coin deal with one of the top players for a coin I needed and a replacement coin for my 1907 O. The replacement was in an ANACS Yellow AU 58 holder. I cracked the coin out and submitted it raw to PCGS:

It came back a few days ago in a PCGS AU 58 holder. Even though it's not a plus I still think it's an attractive coin.
    Glad you got a 58! I didn't see any reason why it wouldn't!

<< <i>Glad you got a 58! I didn't see any reason why it wouldn't! >>

OK Darrell, you just played your hand- I was trying to be discreet. But you are making an advance.
    LOL! Anyone with any savey new we made a deal! image
    Jeff - I think I guessed 64 before on your '04, and I don't see how your V nickel recd a 65 with that mark on the neck/field. It must have some serious luster. Also, good look on your 07-O.

Pics for this AM, from Paesan's Stash, PC58:

Vern
    l
    OOOh, that 1904 O Half is NICE! image

Vern, I agree on the 65 5C; I was expecting a 64. I was also expecting a 64 on my '04 Half, but it fell short:

I just don't see this coin in a 62 holder. The reverse is mark free and there are only very minor marks on the obverse. There's loads of bright luster and just a hint of golden toning. Oh well, that's the grading game. image
    Here's another addition to my Barber Half Everyman's set, a 1915 D PCGS AU 58:

This was another raw purchase, and repalces another PC 58 in the set. No points upgrade for me, but a real stunning coin to me! image
    The grade on the 04 doesn't surprise me. In my experience the main focal point seems to be the cheek. There is a lot going on on the cheek of that coin. Clean cheek and a few marks in the field with good luster ='s 63 usually.

<< <i>OOOh, that 1904 O Half is NICE! image

Vern, I agree on the 65 5C; I was expecting a 64. I was also expecting a 64 on my '04 Half, but it fell short:

I just don't see this coin in a 62 holder. The reverse is mark free and there are only very minor marks on the obverse. There's loads of bright luster and just a hint of golden toning. Oh well, that's the grading game. image >>

I agree, that 04-O is really special. Love it.

That V Nickel was a terrible strike, and the hit on the Obverse, did it no favors. How in God's Green Earth
    did it receive a 65 is well beyond me. Even saying its a 64 is wishful thinking.

I studied that 1904 Half for quite some time. I do not see any real disturbance on the cheek ( and, I do agree,
    the cheek is the highest point on the Obverse.) The Reverse is pristine. Well struck, and no deficiencies that I can see.
    I've seen a lot worse in 65 holders. Calling that a 62 is unconscionable. I'd send it back for another regrade. Raw.

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases

<< <i>It's time to GUESS THE GRADE!!!

This coin came back from PCGS yesterday:

Guesses?? >>

My comments about the 1904 Half were based on this image, not the holdered image ( my iPad kept the holdered
    image from me until I quoted the post from Jeff. ) now that I see the coin in the new holder, where did those cheek
    marks come from. I recind my last comment, and fully agree with Darrell, the 62 grade does not surprise me either.
    I'm surprised it got to 62, and not a 61!!

EDIT:
    For once and for all time, I am through trying to grade MS coins thru images.
    This 1904 Half is a perfect example of ( what I like to call ) Image Fraud. In
    the future, all I'll say is "It's MS"... No more grades from images for MS coins !!
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
    There are small marks on the cheek, but they're not visable to my naked eyes. Magnified they do appear, but very small.

And the '08 MS 65 Liberty Nickel for comparison:

The Nickel does have fewer marks on the cheek, but I still see marks (and some larger).

The typical 62 that I see looks like it's bumped it's neighbors quite a bit in the coin bag; my 1904 looks to me like it received special attention to avoid contact.

I recently had 2 Liberty Nickels that I thought were severely undergraded; an '07 MS 61 (previous post) and a '02 MS 62. I thought they should both be 64's. I cracked them out and submitted them raw. They recently came bach; the '07 went up to a 62 and the '02 graded as a 62 again. PCGS proved to be very consistent on grading those coins. Something tells me I don't look for the same things they do when I grade a coin. I guess the good news I still have new things to learn!! image
    Not much action on this thread- am I the only Barber collector left?

Last month I purchased a raw 1907 Liberty Nickel with nice color. It came back from PCGS earlier this week:

This is a nice coin; really clean surfaces. To me this coin is a solid 64; I agree with our hosts.
  • DrPeteDrPete Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭
    Not much action on this thread- am I the only Barber collector left?

You are not alone. Many of us have little to post, and enjoy the great photos being posted.

I was amazed about the 1904 half that graded MS 62. Depending on the image it looked anywhere from MS 62 to MS65. It is difficult to capture all aspects of a coin in a single view. Marks and luster can be hard to pick up without having the coin in hand. I am a firm believer in buying sight-seen. Digital images are very helpful, give an overall idea of strike and color (given a reasonable picture that hasn't been "juiced"), but may not show some important features.
    Dr. Pete

I hear what DrPete says, but with his permission, I'd like to post
    some of his amazing Halves - just to add color to this Thread.

What do you say, Pete ? I can copy your TrueView images and
    post them here. I know you like showing off your coins at shows,
    but still have some trouble posting. Trying to post thru the PCGS
    system is (or, can be ) a nightmare.

Since I opened up my Photobucket account, posting images is
    just a matter of a right click to capture the photo, and a left click
    to post it. Could not be any easier.

I could also post other coins side by side as well: ie: Perfection; Shireman;
    Gardner; Duckor; Friend, Elbesaar ( who ever he is ) and my current set,
    GinjaMax. DJ's set only has two images and George's set has none.

I could just post a collage of just one date, ie: 1892-Phila issues, and work
    my way down. A nice "retirement project". Ha ha
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
    Jeff - Grading fom images is even more of a crapshoot than guessing what a grading service will say, but with that said, your 04 half looks better than a 62.

Pics for this AM, my only MS half, PC62:

Vern
    l
  • DrPeteDrPete Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭
    MFH,

Feel free to post any of my coins' images. All the True View images are copyrighted by PCGS, but I don't think they have any issue with us posting them in this forum. If I ever hear otherwise I will certainly let everyone know.

Here's the True View policy I just copied: -
    Note that PCGS retains the image rights to the coin and may use the imagery as we see fit. That said, you are free to use the TrueView images however you like. This may include online sales or Set Registry listings, personal photo albums, or the creation of wall art or other décor that feature your coins.Text
    Dr. Pete

<< <i>Not much action on this thread- am I the only Barber collector left? ....... >>

From what I am seeing elsewhere, the simple answer is no. I personally haven't bought a barber since July. I've bid on a few but haven't really gone after anything like I normally do. Fall brings other hobbies that grab my interest more.
    It looks like my hopes of a '97 O 50C PC AU 58 at an eBay "Buy It Now" for $0.99 is out the window......image

<< <i>It looks like my hopes of a '97 O 50C PC AU 58 at an eBay "Buy It Now" for $0.99 is out the window......image >>

I am not so curious how it happened, but more curious about an AU58 97-O making it to ebay. Unless it was supposed to be a .99 start.

Another photo by Jeff

• CoinJunkieCoinJunkie Posts: 8,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>It's time to GUESS THE GRADE!!!

Guesses?? >>

Not my series, but I'll guess 64.

EDIT: Oh, I now see the grade was already posted as 62.
    Jeff...I can assure you there are many collectors of Barber Half's!
    A 97-O in 58 on ebay....might beat Heritage!

Justin....Nice 30?
    Jeff - You are not alone.

Justin - Nice 92-S.

No pics, photobucket just locked up.
    Vern
    l
    Another raw find, a 1899 Liberty Nickel:

I bought this believing it was an MS coin. It came back from PCGS as a Proof 64! I was surprised; I guess the toning hid the mirror fields, but the poor strike threw me off as well. Oh well, a nice coin purchased at a reasonable price.
    Darrell - Yes it is a 30.

Jeff, not knowing Lib nickels, is the PR worth more or less than an MS in the save numerical grade?
    I captured images from Peter's Half Set - this will be a long procedure - enjoy the show:

1892- Phila
    MS 67 Shireman

MS 67+ Duckor

MS 67 - Friend - Heritage Galleries Auction Images

1892-O - Micro O

MS 65 - Shireman

MS 65 - Duckor

MS 68 - Friend - POP TOP - POP ONE

1892-O - Normal O MM
    MS 66 - Shireman

MS 66 - Duckor

MS 65 - Superior Gallery Images

1892-S

MS 66 - Shireman

MS 67+ - POP TOP - POP ONE - Duckor

MS 66 - Friend - Superior Gallery Images

As I start collecting images from other sets, I will slip them into these post.

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
    Jeff - That sure doesn't look like a proof to me, other than the "blocked" date, perhaps.

Mike & Dr Pete - Love that micro O.

Pics for this AM, an MS '89 V nickel, PC63:

Vern
    l
    Vern- Your '89 MS 63 Nickel seems to have a better strike than my Proof; odd.

Justin- the MS coin has greater value than a Proof. There don't seem to be many collectors of proof Liberty Nickels from what I see.

<< <i>I captured images from Peter, Steve and Dale's Half Sets - enjoy the show: - As coins are added - I will bump this Post:

1892- Phila
    MS 67 Shireman

MS 67+ Duckor

1892-O - Micro O

MS 65 - Shireman

MS 65 - Duckor

1892-O - Normal O MM
    MS 66 - Shireman

MS 66 - Duckor

1892-S

MS 66 - Shireman

As I start collecting images from other sets, I will slip them into these post. >>

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases

<< <i>

Pics for this AM, an MS '89 V nickel, PC63:

image >>

For another side by side comparison: my latest 1898 V Nickel - PCGS 65 - { Just received a Green Bean from CAC }

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
    Hope everyone has a good Labor Day weekend.

Pics for this AM, from Paesan's Stash, PC62 TDR:

Vern
    l
    Pics for this AM, from Doug's collection, PC58:

Vern
    l
    Great looking quarters! image
    Jeff! I liked your discussion about Barber Half's so much in your registry set I thought it was well worthy of being posted here!

About this set: Assembling a complete set of Barber Half Dollars in VF to AU graded coins presents quite a challenge, typically taking many years to complete. The series is full of rarities, both due to original mintage and low survival rates. In fact, the entire mintage of all Barber Half Dollars over a 23 year span is less the current cent production at one mint for one month.

At the turn of the 20th Century the Half Dollar represented a large sum of money and was a workhorse in daily commerce. Credit/ debit cards didn’t exist and personal checks were rare. Cash was King, and few transactions required more than a few coins to complete. The Half Dollar rarely sat in one place long, and because of its purchasing power was rarely saved. The number of surviving Barber Halves in grades above VG is small- no early hoards were discovered.

In the Twenties and Thirties coin collecting popularized, but few people made the effort to remove the Barber Half dollars from circulation (too much money and no perceived return). Most halves went on to serve commerce into the 40’s and even the 50’s before being retired. Thankfully a small supply of better condition Barber Halves survived by collectors of the day. Back in the 40’s and 50’s coin collecting was not as sophisticated as today. People viewed their coins with a naked eye, and often cleaned/ polished their silver pieces to remove the never ending tarnish. As the 50’s and 60’s arrived unscrupulous collectors/ dealers developed methods to “improve” the appearance of slightly impaired coins by mechanical means, thus destroying the coins originality forever. Very few nice Barber Halves made it to 1985 without mechanical or chemical intervention of some sort.

As Third Party Graders popularized the small number of surviving market acceptable Barber Halves was slowly revealed. Although raw original XF to AU coins periodically surface (I have many of them represented in my set), most raw coins available in the marketplace (above Fine condition) have been cleaned or are damaged and will not straight grade. For me the coin collecting thrill of my youth returns when I happen to discover a raw XF to AU Barber Half that grades.

This set began around 1980 when I was a young college graduate. I purchased many dates in the early ‘80s, some of them key dates in nice collectable condition. I also unknowingly managed to find many cleaned and damaged pieces as well. As the complexity of life developed these pieces sat in my Dansco Album untouched for 25 years until the collecting bug returned. There are only 2 surviving coins in my set from those early days; the 1892 S and 1896 S. My original goal was to assemble a XF to AU set.

In 2011 I began collecting in earnest again and proceeded to submit my coins for grading at ICG. This was both an eye opening and learning experience; only about half my collection graded. My goal was modified; I now wanted to complete a XF to AU graded set. After discovering that my spare ICG graded slabs garnered little to no market respect I switched to NGC for grading raw coins and crossed my ICG slabs to NGC.

In 2012 I discovered the NGC Registry sets, and completed my set with about 75% NGC and 25% PCGS coins. I stayed active, constantly seeking upgrades (raw or graded). By 2013 my set had established itself as one of the better ones out there, but I discovered the market had little respect for anything but PCGS graded coins at the level I was seeking. I began the task of slowly crossing my collection into PCGS graded holders (with a lot of success). By January 2015 the task was complete; I had a complete PCGS set.

My goal has now shifted to an AU set; at this time I’m 4 coins short. Although it’s obvious I like AU 58 coins, I don’t believe in spending MS money for an AU coin. This thought process will keep me from being competitive in the Everyman’s Registry unless I happen to stumble upon hidden treasures (which has happened). Both my AU 58 1905 O and 1914 were purchased as raw coins WAY below market value. My current set is comprised of about 33% raw purchases, 33% coins crossed from NGC or ANACS slabs, and 33% purchased in their current PCGS holder.

Completing an AU graded set of Barber Halves takes not only time and money, but luck and persistence as well. There are VERY few coins in existence for some dates and they rarely become available. Finding them takes hard work and dedication, but that’s what makes this set so fun and rewarding.

<< <i>I captured images from Peter's Half Set - this will be a long procedure - enjoy the show:

1892- Phila
    MS 67 Shireman

MS 67+ Duckor

1892-O - Micro O

MS 65 - Shireman

MS 65 - Duckor

1892-O - Normal O MM
    MS 66 - Shireman

MS 66 - Duckor

1892-S

MS 66 - Shireman

As I start collecting images from other sets, I will slip them into these post. >>

Adding in another year:

Phila Issue: Shireman: MS 66

Phila Issue: Duckor : MS 66

Phila Issue: Friend : MS 66

New Orleans Issue: Shireman: MS 66...Yowza !!

New Orleans Issue: Duckor : MS 66

New Orleans Issue: Friend: MS 65

San Francisco Issue: Shireman: MS 65

San Francisco Issue: Duckor: MS 66

San Francisco Issue: Friend: MS 65

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
    Darrell, Thanks for copying Jeff's forward in the Virtual Album.
    Good background - and it sounds all to similar to my own story.

My story varies somewhat, I first selected ANACS to grade my raw coins.
    I thought if they pass muster at ANACS - back in the early to mid 90's -
    I should be okay when I wanted to start a Registry set. About 20% Did Not
    Grade at all... for one reason or another - a great learning experience.
    I resubmitted my non graded coins to NGC and a few actually holdered.
    These coins suffered their expected fate when they went to PCGS. DNC
    and lower grades were the norm. That was ok, its all a learning experience.

Soon afterwards, I discovered ICG. I liked the idea of ICG - just not their grading -
    I have always thought the people at NGC are great - but many of my coins were
    over graded - which I discovered when I tried crossing to PCGS. I read a comment
    from someone who obviously knows more about the game than I do, " If you want a
    coin in a PCGS holder, buy the coin in a PCGS holder." Wise words.

I have watched Jeff over the last few years assemble a top flight AU set of Halves.
    I, who is no slouch in buying Barbers, am amazed at the width and depth of his
    collection. He is expanding into the other Barber areas as well and has put together
    some very attractive sets [ some are still "in the works" ]

Congratulations, Jeff. You've done a bang up job - and look forward to your finishing
    the sets to your satisfaction. I know, its not an easy task. Finding those key dates raw
    and having them grade AU 58 is nothing short of a numismatic miracle.

I am also looking forward to seeing the other AU 55-58 sets open up { Ahem, DW & DK }
    so we can oooh and ahhh and see how your coins stack up with the Dealers' collections.

My current set of Halves does not hold a candle to yours, but I have a few beauties included
    that I have no intentions of ever parting with - at least while I have all my senses !! LOL

I have been posting Peter's, Steve's and Dale's coins - for a comparison - as Peter has
    given me permission to post his coins - and the other two gentlemen no longer have their
    collections [ unless they held onto a souvenir or two ...ie: 1892-O Micro O PCGS 68, Dale.]

Another top flight set is in the making, my friend, Dave Wollinka, is almost finished with his
    Half Dollar Barber set. He has a few NGC coins that need to cross - to finish off his set.
    The GPA is quite high - and should rank very close to Peter when completed. Once Dave has
    his Half Set imaged professionally, by my friend and former student, Valente151, I will be more
    than happy to include those images among the likes of Duckor, Shireman and Friend. I'd like to
    add a few of my coins in the mix as well, if they meet the standards surrounding them. I'm still
    more of an AU 58 kind of collector. { A la Easton Collection - Barry Sunshine }

Not to finish with the better Halves so quickly, yet another set is in the making, who very well may
    displace Peter's set from the number One Spot. A new player has published a number of sets under
    the name of " Perfection ' .

I have no idea who this collector is, but his Quarters and Dimes are amazing. I assume his Halves
    will be as well.

Okay - Happy Hunting !!
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases

<< <i>Jeff! I liked your discussion about Barber Half's so much in your registry set I thought it was well worthy of being posted here!

<< <i>

Thanks for the kind words, Darrell. I know you share the same passion.
    A new pickup, a 1907 D Half:

A nice coin- hopefully a 58. At NGC a lock; PCGS a maybe. Two schools of thought- wear vs. marks. I have a nice white 58; this may or may not become part of my set.
    Jeff...my thoughts on that 07-D 55 or details(Obv. scratches might be called graffiti).

<< <i>Jeff...my thoughts on that 07-D 55 or details(Obv. scratches might be called graffiti). >>

I guess I don't see the graffiti, but I do understand the 55.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file