Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

The Michael F. Hayes Barber Megathread

Comments

• Options
    paesanpaesan Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mike, I would argue that that 09-O is the most eye appealing AU out there, by far, while it's not the best as far as originality and surface quality.

When that coin got the 58 grade, I had sent in 10 coins for reconsideration. The three that got bumped a grade had one thing in common; color. (Other two were 1896-O 53 to 55, and 1899-S 55 to 58.) I believe Vern said that the 96-O was originally an ANACS 58.

In that submission, there were better coins that I expected to have upgraded and were not, all lacked toning, but were technically superior.

Paesan
    More coins, less government.
  • Options
    Labelman87Labelman87 Posts: 610 ✭✭✭✭
    I have enjoyed reviewing days and days of quality Barbers. My wife and I also enjoyed our anniversary celebration on Grand Cayman so no time for Barbers! Since the Thread's last coin I've seen was the 09-O Quarter, I'll bring back one of my favorites (yes still in the collection).

P.S. Too bad Barber didn't design any of the gold in my collection.
    Craig

• Options
    JeffMTampaJeffMTampa Posts: 3,270 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well- I don't know that anyone can top that.....
    I love them Barber Halves.....
  • Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I have enjoyed reviewing days and days of quality Barbers. My wife and I also enjoyed our anniversary celebration on Grand Cayman so no time for Barbers! Since the Thread's last coin I've seen was the 09-O Quarter, I'll bring back one of my favorites (yes still in the collection).

P.S. Too bad Barber didn't design any of the gold in my collection. >>

Only 1 word can be said here......Spectacular!
  • Options
    barberkeysbarberkeys Posts: 4,153 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mike & Paesan - Interesting how colorful toning seems to be in vogue with our hosts.

Craig - Your 09-O is a beauty.

Pics for this AM, the 96-O in the ANACS holder:

Vern
    l
    It's not having what you want, it's wanting what you've got.
  • Options
    Craig, Absolutely stunning. Love seeing that coin.

Vern, Not sure I ever saw that ANACS shot. Thanks. A couple of marks from a true 58.

Paesan
  • Options
    MFHMFH Posts: 11,720 ✭✭✭✭

Craig.... I bet you never expected as nice a coin as that when I sent it to you.
    The moment I laid eyes on it, I knew you'd want it. Now, both your 09-O's
    have the MFH provenance. My old 64 is nestled comfortably along side that
    stunning coin.

Vern.... Love the look of your 96-O Quarter. Beautiful toning and an amazing strike.
    Why still in the small ANACS holder ? Someone mentioned to me that it's safer to
    submit old ANACS holders for cross, as the graders know exactly how the coins tone
    after being entombed in one over the years. Just saying, in case you were contemplating
    submitting for cross over.

Thanks for sharing it. My Newp 96-O from Goldberg's sale hasn't arrived yet ( NGC 58 )
    but it certainly doesn't have the Pizzaz your's does !!
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Coin collecting is not a hobby, it's an obsession !

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    Mike, The 96-O was downgraded to a 53. I believe it went from Vern to Walt in a trade. Walt listed it on eBay and I bought it because I wanted it to stay in the Barber crowd. I had it reconsidered to a 55. I think that's the scoop.

Paesan
  • Options
    RedglobeRedglobe Posts: 606 ✭✭✭
    wowww

Rob
    Rob
  • Options
    Craig - I just realized that our hosts called your 09-O pictured above, an MS63. Wow! Looks every bit of a 64 to me. And with the 64 you got from Mike's 2011 auction, you've got a wonderful pair.

Pics for this AM, an 09-O they did grade 64:

Vern
    l
  • Options
    Beautiful '09 O, Vern.

Time to hijack the thread back to Halves!! image

A couple of new minor upgrades for my set. First a coin courtesy of Paesan, a 1896 PC AU 58. This replaces a 53 in my set:

Next, a 1905 S PC 58 from David Sunshine. This replaces a 55 in my set:

Most here don't like this untoned look in an AU coin, but it works for me.

• Options
    LogPotatoLogPotato Posts: 2,176 ✭✭✭✭
    All that matters is that you are happy with them, Jeff. Nice coins. Keep knocking down those 58's. image

Some pretty sweet clashing on that 96-O. I'd love to spend some time going through that "stash". Probably all sorts of goodies.
  • Options
    Vern,

I felt (feel) the 09-O is a 64 or a bit better. However, in hand is where truth lies and it only takes one look with this coin. Thanks for the compliment.
    Craig

• Options
    Justin, Mi casa es su casa. You bring the beer and I'll supply the coins.

• Options
    Jeff, A lot of dealers swear by blast white coins.
  • Options

<< <i>Jeff, A lot of dealers swear by blast white coins. >>

My experience at the last couple of Fun shows with dealers has been they are looking for nice AU's and MS Barber Half's that are lusterous blast white! Couldn't keep em in the case.
  • Options
    You 09-O quarter guys should go defend the status of your coins here: 09-O quarter discussion
  • Options
    Jeff - Congrats on the 2 upgrades, both tougher, underappreciated dates.

Craig - I'm wondering what is it that causes your 09-O to be a 3? Are there marks that don't show in the pic?

Darrell - I'll have to take a look at this 09-O thread.

Pics for this AM, from the Stash, in a 62 rattler:

Vern
    l
  • Options
    JKTJKT Posts: 492 ✭✭✭
    Been a while since my last post....but always lurking to check out the beauties that you guys are constantly posting. Some amazing coins here in the last few pages in particular. image

Been a few months since I had any significant Barber purchases, but I thought since 09 Os were being discussed Id post a raw example I was very fortunate to run into yesterday. Long story short, I was lucky enough to be able to pick this from a small dealer friend out of a collection he had just purchased yesterday morning less than an hour after he had bought it. Usually I am lucky to walk away with a few nice original circulated common date Morgans or WLHs in these types of scenarios, so to see this coin sitting in a 2x2 amongst mostly common proof and mint sets was pretty exciting. Lower end AU luster IMHO (higher end on the reverse)......but my below average pics probably make that pretty tough to discern. It will be interesting to see what our hosts think.

image[/URL]

image[/URL]

BTW, the 09 O thread that Darrell attached is very interesting indeed. Personally, the speculation that there are likely rolls of UNC 09 Os being hoarded for decades seems logical enough to me......but it is very difficult for me to imagine why anyone hoarding them with the intention of making a killing wouldn't have been enticed to do so in the last 5-7 years. JMHO.

Always looking for tougher PSA 10's of Nolan Arenado, Alex Bregman, Mookie Betts, Francisco Lindor, and Mike Trout.

• Options
    dogwooddogwood Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭✭
    JKT, lucky you!!
    Congrats on the pick. Nice looking.
    Let us know how PC grades her. I know two of my raw AUs over the years are in PC XF45 holders for some reason, but the world is happy for them.
    We're all born MS70. I'm about a Fine 15 right now.
  • Options
    I'm going to hijack the thread away from quarters again- this time for a Liberty Nickel (albeit a bit boring). A new coin for my growing MS set, a 1908 PC 64:

I have 6 more nickels at PCGS for crossover- they should be graded any day.
  • Options
    illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah... too much talk in here about those 1909-O quarters image

Not sure if one of these has ever made the thread... 1894 California Midwinter Expo Official Medal HK-245. Was reading the Swoger's book on National Medals that this was a Charles E. Barber design. Didn't know that before image

• Options
    valente151valente151 Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Been a while since my last post....but always lurking to check out the beauties that you guys are constantly posting. Some amazing coins here in the last few pages in particular. image

Been a few months since I had any significant Barber purchases, but I thought since 09 Os were being discussed Id post a raw example I was very fortunate to run into yesterday. Long story short, I was lucky enough to be able to pick this from a small dealer friend out of a collection he had just purchased yesterday morning less than an hour after he had bought it. Usually I am lucky to walk away with a few nice original circulated common date Morgans or WLHs in these types of scenarios, so to see this coin sitting in a 2x2 amongst mostly common proof and mint sets was pretty exciting. Lower end AU luster IMHO (higher end on the reverse)......but my below average pics probably make that pretty tough to discern. It will be interesting to see what our hosts think.

image[/URL]

image[/URL]

BTW, the 09 O thread that Darrell attached is very interesting indeed. Personally, the speculation that there are likely rolls of UNC 09 Os being hoarded for decades seems logical enough to me......but it is very difficult for me to imagine why anyone hoarding them with the intention of making a killing wouldn't have been enticed to do so in the last 5-7 years. JMHO. >>

JKT- may be a just how my display is displaying, but appears that there is some pvc residue on the the high points of that coin. Should clean up fine with acetone, but you will want to do that before sending in to PC (if it is in fact there in hand), or else you will get it back in a body bag. Nice coin otherwise.
  • Options

Those young YN eyes.

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    Vern, IMO the obverse of the 1909-O has a very few light tics of a 64. The reverse is better than a 65 (65+). ...But I have no concerns. If I ever sell it I only have to show it. image

JKT, IMO the best you'll do with your 1909-O would be an XF45, but the green tint in your image tells me that Valente151 is correct. Good Luck!
    Craig

• Options
    JT, great to hear from you and congrats on your exciting find. Hope it grades for you. My guess is XF 45.
  • Options
    RedglobeRedglobe Posts: 606 ✭✭✭
    JKT,

It looks good to me,I would say Au 50 and a rare condition coin for sure.

Congrats on the purchase and good luck on your submission.image

Rob
    Rob
  • Options
    JT - Congrats on the great find. I look forward to hearing what number our hosts assign.

Jeff - Good looking V Nick.

Mike K - That is a first on the mega-threads, it's good to learn something. Thanks for posting.

Pics for this AM, another Barber "medal":

Vern
    l
  • Options
    What an exciting Cup finals series. Go Hawks.

Pics for this AM, haven't posted this denom for a while, PC30:

Vern
    l
  • Options
    LogPotatoLogPotato Posts: 2,176 ✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    I guess the coin left you speechless?

Nice looking '01 S in a brand new holder; may be the only '01 S in the holder!
  • Options
    Justin - I really like your new 01-S, it has that perfect LogPotato look.

That look reminds me of the halves the "BarberFanatic" used to own. Hope you're doing ok Cary.

Vern
    l
  • Options
    Justin:

Excellent 01-S - looks very undergraded. It has the look of
    a VF 20-25. Nice find.

Vern, et al:

Cary is doing well. I spoke with him a couple of weeks ago.
    His young son is almost 2 yrs old and is he is just loving being
    a Dad. The kid's a nice little boy too. We chatted about another
    series he might get into. I think he's burnt out on Barbers. Over
    the years, as you may remember, I put together and quickly
    sold approx 4 sets of VF/XF Halves. Cary was a frequent buyer
    and the 96-S looks very familiar to me.

After all the chat about the 1909-O Quarter, I broke down and got
    an undergraded PCGS - VG 8 - which is a 10 any day of the week.

The price guide at PCGS has the coin at approx. $149. I paid about
    50% more than that, but overall, I think I got a nice coin that when
    I find the right coin to upgrade - I should have no problem selling.

Saw a friend's coin that I had sold him:
    I thought I'd rename this post : Beauty And The Beast !

Ahhhh.... Beauty !!!

Ohhh... The Beast

This post needs COLOR !!!!

Well that was a nice splash of color - " wake up and smell the roses " image

RE EDIT : - The Goldberg coins arrived today - much nicer than expected. Very Pleased.

These are Goldberg's Images:

Valente151 is flying in to Naples to do some imaging for me. His work has been consistently great -
    and he has been my eyes and ears at coin shows - and at auction lot previews.
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    Mike - Good to hear that Cary is doing well. And congrats on the 09-O newp.

Also, in the Set Registry Forum, BJ Searls is conducting a poll to identify the best PCGS Registry Set Virtual Album. There are 12 albums nominated and 2 of them are from regular contributors here on the barber mega-thread. Doug's stellar barber qtr everyman set, and Dr. Pete's wonderful barber half set. I suggest that all of us barber fans vote for one of those 2, and bring the award to one of our brethern. I think it's impressive that 2 of the 12 sets nominated are for barbers.

Pics for this AM, a couple of those impressive qtrs in Doug's set:

Vern
    l
  • Options

I have looked at the Barber sets at quite some length - not just Doug and Peter's -
    and there are some flat out amazing coins being held by us Barbernuts.

Doug's 1907-O Quarter is stunning - it's my favorite coin in his set. His 1897-S
    Centered MM is the Micro O of Barber Quarters ! OMG !! Great coin. So many
    beautiful Quarters - all very nicely preserved. I think Doug has done a fantastic
    job and should be highly commended.

Peter's set is hands down the most beautiful set of Barbers assembled. I am a big fan
    of Dale Friend's set of Quarters and Halves as well. Sunnywood's set of Quarters was
    flat out amazing. Over the last dozen or so years since I have been on the PCGS forums,
    I have had the pleasure of seeing some great coins - that it's difficult to give a tip of the
    hat to one set and not the other. I was looking forward to seeing a Barber Dime set so
    honored, not because I have a set, but there are superb gem sets out there that should
    be recognized.

The current Poll is for those sets who are high ranking but also have been placed in a Virtual Album.

I also loved the early Capped Bust Quarters. I saw a few coins I lusted over in the Pogue sale.

I'll add images of yet a newer Newp on a seperate post, a 1908-D Quarter. An upgrade over my 53.
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    My newest raw pickup- a 1916 Barber Half:

Cool coin. I need to carefully crack out a '16 Walker and put this in the slab!
  • Options
    Satiny '16 Half.
    Odd that it carries the authenticator diagnostic of another famous Barber coin. I've never seen that on any other issues. Anyone care to guess What it is?
    Wonder how/why it appears on the Carr.
  • Options
    I presume you're referring to the die clash of the shield inside the ear? I don't know all the coins with this (I'm mainly a half collector) but my 1895 S half has this going on....

• Options
    Jeff - Saw the '16 half in hand at a local show. Neat fantasy piece.

Dennis - I imagine you're referring to the 96-S qtr with the clash in the ear. Maybe Carr did it to add a talking point to his work.

Pics for this AM, a 96-S qtr:

Vern
    l
  • Options

Wonderful 96-S, Vern. I think I like it every bit as much as Craig's.

As mentioned earlier...another newp - a minor upgrade:

....ps...they all can't be screaming Mimi's !! LOL

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    DrPeteDrPete Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for pointing out the "clash" marks inside the ear on the fantasy 1916 barber half. I have two examples and will look to see if they have that. It might be a way that Daniel Carr made these coins recognizable, in a subtle and mostly hidden way, and yet having basis in reality from pieces like the 95-S.
    Dr. Pete
  • Options
    I think Dan said the dies clashed at some point. Read his thread as later issues developed cracks also.
  • Options
    DrPeteDrPete Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭
    Very interesting about the die clashes. I just looked at the images of my set to see if I could find any. I didn't see any. Looking in the ear-hole is not generally an area I have spent much time examining the coins in the past.

Just noticed that Heritage is starting to list some high-end Barber coins for auction at ANA. Mostly I've noticed for the halves, but some quarters and dimes showing up. I note one of the three 04-S halves in PCGS 67, the ex-Duckor coin, and an 1892-O NGC MS68* CAC among some that really caught my attention. Saw more listing today, and wondering if a whole set is being auctioned. I have no idea whose coins those are, but the two already specifically mentioned have previously sold for over $100K each. There aren't many in the half series that have EVER sold for that much. I guess we can all stay tuned...

Dr. Pete
  • Options
    Vern, amazing 96s quarter.
    Hammered and slightly dirty. Nice.

I had no idea the 95s half was clashed. That's good to see.
  • Options

<< <i> I had no idea the 95s half was clashed. That's good to see. >>

I purchased the one in the photo about a year ago. I've looked at all the '95 S Halves I could find to see if I could find another example with the clash lines in the ear- no luck (and I've looked at hundreds). It may be scarce, but I doubt it would carry any premium value.
  • Options

It just occoured to me, all genuine 1896-S Quarters have
    Clash Marks in Liberty's ear.

I need to get my 95-S Half out of mothballs and look
    for the clash marks !
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    A new raw Barber Half purchase came in the mail today- a 1915 S:

It looks like a AU 58 to me; perhaps it has the right qualities for a plus?
  • Options
    The Reverse carrys this coin, Jeff.
    I think there may be a little too much
    chatter on the OBV for a Plus grade.

Excellent coin, regardless.

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • Options

<< <i>The Reverse carrys this coin, Jeff.
    I think there may be a little too much
    chatter on the OBV for a Plus grade.

Excellent coin, regardless. >>

Here's the obverse of my '07 O PC AU 58+ for comparison:

There's quite a bit of chatter on the obverse of this coin as well- perhaps not quite as much. I think it comes down to the mood of the graders that day....
  • Options

Thanks again, JT !! [ 2015 ]

[ 2014 ]
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file