Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

1986 Panini Supersport Mike Tyson PSA 10 that was on EBAY...Major Update

Comments

• Options
    mikliamiklia Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the great transaction DPeck, glad you like it! I still believe that it's the best copy of this card that exists, and maybe that will ever exist. as I said when we made the deal, this was a price I offered to you only because of all of the amazing work you've done on boxing cards and on the forums here. (CU forum) membership has its benefits. thanks again.

missing it already!
  • Options
    Great card D. Top 5-10 card to own from the 80's IMO.
    Miconelegacy Auctions
    "Live everyday, don't throw it away"
  • Options
    Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Time will tell what happens with the pop reports but it seems unlikely there will be a lot more 10's anytime soon. I have to think a large percentage of the high grade examples came from boxes that the seller in Cyprus either busted or sold.

I came very close to getting a 10 from the examples I submitted but came up short.

It is really exciting to add a 10 of one of my favorite cards. I have said from day one I just thought this was a winner and I believe that will never change. Mike Tyson was Mike Tyson. A wrecking machine.

• Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    Congrats on finally getting the "10" that you wanted. Enjoy it.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    1987 Panini Mike Tyson UK

Interesting to see BGS labeling the UK version from 1987 like I believe it should be. I have to give it to BGS in the research category. They seem to put a little more effort into it on some of these more scarce issues.

• Options
    SumoMenkoManSumoMenkoMan Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭
    I agree. Sometimes I feel like PSA gets lazy and would rather send a card back instead of doing a little research.
  • Options
    eagles33eagles33 Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭
    I send a lot of really asinine cards to be graded. I wouldn't be surprised if the person opening my sub with 15 pages of emails attached mark it 75 day sub regardless of the service level. I have figured out the best way to get a set approved for grading is to get the checklist published on a valid website. I've tried submitting scans of the checklist card in the set bet got rejected. So I sent the scans of the checklist to beckett and waited for them to upload the set. It takes some time but it's better than getting the cards sent back ungraded
    Scans of most of my Misc rookies can be found <a target=new class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://forums.collectors.com/m...y&keyword1=Non%20major">here
  • Options
    There is no telling what the true pop is on this card at this point. When PSA first graded an example of the card they labeled it 1985. Shortly there after they began labeling it 1986. At some point in the past year I noticed they kicked out the PSA 9 I had in that slot and I realized they moved the population over to 1985.

If you do a cert check for all of the one's I have that say 1986 other then the PSA 10 they now come up as 1985 even though the label says 1986.

With so many being mislabeled as Italian that are actually UK it will remain a mystery permanently. I only have one UK graded example and it is appropriately in the UK population report.

• Options
    Funny card and listing

This one made me laugh.

• Options
    mikliamiklia Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭
    Ha! I believe that ref is politely offering both gents refreshing Mint Juleps to get them through the round.
  • Options
    Tyson UK back

This just popped up on EBAY. I figured it would be a UK back and it is. What is interesting is that one sold back in March and whomever submitted them nailed at least two 10's in one submission.

The cert on the other example ends with 921 and this is 922. Talk about a home run submission.

• Options
    Just for the heck of it I looked up the cert of my PSA 10 and the two that I just referenced and those are the three that are reported in the 86 Italian population totals. There are also three reported in the 86 UK totals and three in the 85 Italian totals.

Both of these are in the 85 totals despite one being labeled 86.

I looked up an old sub and the only UK back I have was labeled as 86 and in the same sub the Italian backs were labeled 85. Running the cert check and it shows up in the 86 UK population totals.

There really is no telling how many are the actual rookie that are Gem Mint. My first instinct is to add the three from 85 and the one from 86 but without seeing the others I don't think a conclusion can be drawn.

• Options
    Someone either notified Brent that this example is a UK back or he read the thread as the auction was ended for a listing error.

Last time he added notes to the auction and perhaps he wanted to avoid that this time.

• Options
    Tyson

It seems like almost everyone that hits EBAY is the UK back mislabeled.

• Options
    MULLINS5MULLINS5 Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭
    I am terrified to make an offer on this card that I feel is a reasonable amount for me to spend.
  • Options
    PWCC re listed the Tyson UK and properly described it. The population information is even more confusing then I realized.

Check this out.

Here is the cert verification for the example listed.

Tyson UK back

Here is the cert verification for my PSA 10 that is the true rookie and has the Italian back.

PSA 10 Tyson Italian

There is literally no telling how many of the Italian back PSA 10's exist. It is showing a Pop 3 under this spec and you can clearly see the issue here.

Here is the Tyson that sold on EBAY recently that is marked 1985. I believe that is a true Italian version.

PSA 10 Tyson recent sale

Cert recent sale

• Options
    Tyson PSA 7

This is the highest I have ever seen a PSA 7 go for. $399.

• Options
    Here is a photo album from the UK set with the 1987 copyright date on it. It is definitely official that these came out in 1987. My prior research with photos from the 1987 French Open was enough for me but here it is in writing.

UK 1987
  • Options
    Big80sBig80s Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭
    Your research is relentless, D! As someone who felt strongly that this card was in fact from 1986, I'd like to be the first to say - you were right, I was wrong.

Let's Rip It: PackGeek.com
    Jeff
  • Options

<< <i>Your research is relentless, D! As someone who felt strongly that this card was in fact from 1986, I'd like to be the first to say - you were right, I was wrong.

image >>

I check EBAY for Tyson cards every day and stumbled on this item and was happy to see a copyright date on it.

What is interesting is that you could order stickers direct if you look at one of the other pages.
  • Options
    wrestlingcardkingwrestlingcardking Posts: 4,555 ✭✭✭✭
    I used to have just about all the main multisport panini albums....I wonder what I did with them?
    BUYING Frank Gotch T229 Kopec
    Looking to BUY n332 1889 SF Hess cards and high grade cards from 19th century especially. "Once you have wrestled everything else in life is easy" Dan Gable
  • Options
    Tyson PSA 7

This card is really firming up in Buy It Now listings. This PSA 7 just sold for $499.

It doesn't appear that many either know or care that the UK came second. I like seeing the bottom of the range tighten up so much on this card.

• Options
    1987 BGS 8.5 UK

I like the fact that BGS is now slabbing the UK back as 1987. I realize PSA can't go backwards but they can go forwards.

I would be interested to know where BGS gets their research from. They seem to work pretty hard on getting the cards in the right slabs. That is one area I will give them credit for.

• Options
    DP
  • Options
    ReggieClevelandReggieCleveland Posts: 3,855 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>1987 BGS 8.5 UK

I like the fact that BGS is now slabbing the UK back as 1987. I realize PSA can't go backwards but they can go forwards.

I would be interested to know where BGS gets their research from. They seem to work pretty hard on getting the cards in the right slabs. That is one area I will give them credit for. >>

Not difficult to do when you basically only slab modern.
  • Options
    87 Foil

These foil cards are tough out of the pack. I am still looking for a high grade copy for my collection.

• Options
    MULLINS5MULLINS5 Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭
    I'd love to add the Tyson 153 to my collection and have been on the fence for a long time about picking one up. There's a PSA 5 on eBay for $185 OBO.

I can't justify spending that kind of money on a Panini sticker. I've subbed tons of 80s stickers to PSA and almost always there's an error on each submission. I also felt the grading was all over the place. I contacted Joe Orlando about it and he emailed me a very professional and courteous reply explaining why the stickers earned their grades. The way he explained it made sense, but the ordeal of it all made me lose interest in stickers altogether.

Only takes time for lots of OPC, Topps and Panini 80s stickers to pop up. Sure enough they always do. There's a ton of them out there. I mean a TON.

...but I still want a Tyson #153....
  • Options
    I was searching through the Panini population report to see the other variations from the 1987 set and came across this.

87 Panini UK

#206 Greg Norman

I am not sure when the examples in the pop report were graded but clearly at some point PSA has labeled some accurately.
  • Options
    Tyson

It looks like the market is starting to price in a premium for the Italian version. This looks like a PSA 5 to me and went for $161.63.

• Options
    This new service from PSA that matches up auctions from PWCC that will fit your registry sets is really cool.

PSA 10 Tyson Italian

It notified me that this is being listed tomorrow. This is the real Italian version and not the UK. I will be very curious to see how this does.
  • Options
    WOW I saw this listed a few hours ago and it is already sold.

PSA 9 $900

• Options
    Tyson signed

This selling price is shocking. It just goes to show on many items listing them as a BIN achieves a higher price.

Recent auction
  • Options

<< <i>$2,068

I am not a PayPal gift guy and this allowed for the seller to net what he wanted. >>

Great investment as this card hit $5100 tonight.
    Looking to BUY n332 1889 SF Hess cards and high grade cards from 19th century especially. "Once you have wrestled everything else in life is easy" Dan Gable
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>$2,068

I am not a PayPal gift guy and this allowed for the seller to net what he wanted. >>

Great investment as this card hit $5100 tonight. >>

Definitely a solid price!
  • Options
    I just got this in the mail. The foil stickers are extremely condition sensitive. This is a Pop 2 with none higher. A really nice item.

• Options
    Congrats on the pickup....your Tyson collection is looking strong.
  • Options
    SumoMenkoManSumoMenkoMan Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭
    Looks nice. That is a tough sticker for sure.
  • Options
    IGC Tyson

I can't find anything on this grading company and the site listed on the slab doesn't work.

Obviously with the centering this is not going to grade PSA 9 Mint but it is a legit Italian version. I am guessing this was graded a while ago when there were so many upstart grading companies.

Anyone know anything about IGC grading?

• Options
  • Options
    Raw cards from UK

I saw this lot listed a week back and would have never dreamed it would have sold for close to $1,100 with shipping. WOW.

• Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's crazy! It's not that difficult of a set to come by for UK sellers.
  • Options
    WOW

Just checked my phone and the Tyson PSA 9 went for $1,296 with three bids over a grand. Nice!!!!
  • Options
    I wanted to have a scan of this with the pitch black background. I love the way it makes cards pop.

• Options
    I finally figured out which fight the Tyson photo is from.

It was Dec 6th 1985 vs. Sammy Scaff

Video proof here. His 14th professional fight.

The MSG microphone wasn't from Madison Square Garden but instead the MSG network.

Tyson fight 11:40

• Options
    PSA 9 Tyson

The Tyson rookie continues to move higher. Nice to see a board member do well on this card.

• Options
    I didn't want to comment until the PSA 10 Tyson's ended but I see that the UK that was labeled as Italian has been pulled. I looked up the cert last night and it shows up as an Italian from 1985. They moved quite a few from 1986 a few years ago to 1985 and left a few in the 1986 Italian column. They also have some labeled 1986 UK and now accurately 1987 UK. Of the ten total Panini PSA 10 Tyson's it is looking like there may only be three that are the real Italian rookie. Unfortunately we don't know the answer.

• Options
    If you get the SMR there is a cool article this month that discusses the Panini boxing stickers. I saw the email today and was able to view the digital edition and read it.

Obviously Tyson's sticker is one that is featured.

• Options
    eagles33eagles33 Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭
    Great article. I wish smr would do more articles about cards like these. I bet there are a lot of people out there that might be interested in these but don't even know they exist. I like how they gave information on 5 different sets and pointed out the rookie cards in each. I would love to see them do an article on the many different Pele or Ali rookie card options. I think those are 2 of the biggest names in those sports and it would be an interesting topic to most collectors.
    Scans of most of my Misc rookies can be found <a target=new class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://forums.collectors.com/m...y&keyword1=Non%20major">here
  • Options

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1985-Panini-Supersport-Italian-Mike-Tyson-ROOKIE-PSA-DNA-AUTO-153-PSA-8-PWCC-/352143797593?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&amp;ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&amp;nma=true&amp;si=JXoqXlk2%2BB4GWzL4AOIVH2bCfO0%3D&amp;orig_cvip=true&amp;rt=nc

I was really interested in this signed Tyson but this went for a lot more than I would have expected. Someone told me he doesn't sign this sticker anymore. Any auto experts know if that is true? I have always wanted to crack out a copy to get signed.

• Options

A new record was set last night for the Tyson Panini.

Goldin Auctions just keeps raising the bar on every card they sell.

The BGS 9.5 went for just under 48k.

https://goldinauctions.com/1986_Panini_Supersport__Italian___153_Mike_Tyson_R-LOT72187.aspx