Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

1986 Panini Supersport Mike Tyson PSA 10 that was on EBAY...Major Update

Comments

• Options
    Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have a feeling that box is going to get a lot of attention.

Good luck to the winner.

• Options
    mikliamiklia Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭
    final hammer was over $1,000 on the box, final bids look legit. Encouraging sign of the big uptrend continuing for Tyson and boxing.
  • Options
    That is a strong final price for sure. These boxes were going for $625 on average when the seller from Cyprus unleashed them on the US market.

There has been no movement in the pop reports lately so the supply of graded examples remains very tight.

I am hanging onto my eight PSA graded examples and obviously the strength in the market has not enticed others to sell their examples so prices should be holding steady and are most likely higher.

At auction I don't think you could win a PSA 9 at this point for $500.

• Options
    Big80sBig80s Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭
    Boxes from Cypress = very risky. I'd be curious to know if the winner pulls any Tyson's, because the odds are they should hit 2 or 3.
    Let's Rip It: PackGeek.com
    Jeff
  • Options
    miwlvrnmiwlvrn Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not necessarily easy to tell if you're buying the ones from the Cyprus guy anymore since several have probably changed hands a couple times in the US after being purchased from him?
  • Options
    This box came from the seller in Cyprus. This is Mike's from the board.

I do believe this box was purchased early on though so it is hard to tell how it will play out.

This is the first time a box has been sold on EBAY by anyone other then the guy from Cyprus.

• Options
    eagles33eagles33 Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭
    I just bought a few packs from an Italian seller. I don't usually see the Tyson card from any of the Italian sellers so hopefully they aren't searched. Ill post any hits when i get them... if there are any hits.. i was tempted to pull the trigger on a panini pack run from 66-72 but I figured it would be a waste of money since I have no will power and would prob open them all. Also psa won't grade them because they do not have a holder that they would fit in. I think they would just fit in a standard tallboy slab since the packs are so thin but psa said no. I've seen packs from just about every year except for 73 wich has the foreman and Duran rookies. I wonder if they were distributed differently
    Scans of most of my Misc rookies can be found <a target=new class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://forums.collectors.com/m...y&keyword1=Non%20major">here
  • Options

<< <i>This box came from the seller in Cyprus. This is Mike's from the board.

I do believe this box was purchased early on though so it is hard to tell how it will play out.

This is the first time a box has been sold on EBAY by anyone other then the guy from Cyprus. >>

This concern is exactly why I didn't bid aggressively. Sorry Mike, but I can't trust your product. I hope that the box was clean though.
  • Options
    ReggieClevelandReggieCleveland Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is Mike (the owner of the box) Miconlegacy?
  • Options
    Yes he is.

He was one of the early buyers of Mike Tyson cards too.
  • Options
    And is Miconlegacy the gentleman that was caught shilling up an auction on a fellow board member?

(I'm not being a wisea$$, I honestly don't know)
  • Options
    hence the comments on the bids looking legit, but my hesitation on bidding here...
  • Options
    Gotcha, thanks. I can understand your concern.
  • Options
    Tyson PSA 9

I just checked my EBAY account and saw this item from my watch list had ended.

Miklia did someone really just hit the Buy It Now?
  • Options
    heh, well...there was a guy who had a PSA 9 OC boxing card w/o the OC qualifier in the title, selling it as if it was a straight 9. i never care about this stuff, but this time for some reason i sent a mail saying that it was a misleading auction. the owner (a lawyer), got mad and hit the BIN on one of my auctions in retaliation.
  • Options
    What is wild is these kinds of things alter the VCP average for cards.

• Options
    hopefully this one won't, as I'm canceling the sale. it shouldn't show up in completed auctions or VCP.
  • Options
    I'm sure some of you guys were following the recent PSA 10 Tyson rookie that sold for just over a grand. While I was expecting a little closer to $2K, this is within the real world of pricing for this card.
    Jeff
  • Options
    Jeff, you got a link?
  • Options
  • Options
    Is that the one that supposedly sold for $5,000?
  • Options
    Someone picked up a nicely centered card here for a reasonable price.
    Jeff
  • Options

<< <i>Is that the one that supposedly sold for $5,000? >>

Different card. This is labeled Italian, and appears to have better centering.
    Jeff
  • Options
    The $5k one was UK, right?
  • Options

<< <i>The $5k one was UK, right? >>

Correct. Also the card DPeck potentially determined to be from 1987.
    Jeff
  • Options
    Hmm, it's odd that one would sell for $5k and then just a month later one sells for $1,500.
  • Options
    Ending an auction at the middle of the day on a Saturday left a bunch of money on the table, imho. I was the underbidder, but probably would have gone higher given the opportunity. A nice price for the buyer here.
  • Options
    Miklia, as far as PSA 10 Tysons go, what's your take on this one?
  • Options
    i wasn't crazy about it, to be honest. maybe a bad scan, but the top-bottom centering didn't seem tip top. a perfect card would have gotten a 2k+ bid from me..
  • Options
    note also the strong price ($510) for the PSA 10 Holyfield RC that just ended. That's even a bit more surprising to me than $2-5k for the Tyson, to be honest. A tough card though.
  • Options
    I was very impressed by the action in the Holyfield. This one sold for as much or more then the first one. I know it was right around $500 for the first one to surface. I just can't remember the exact amount.

• Options
    just a little note that PWCC has a Tyson PSA 10 up on the bay now, although it is the UK version mislabelled as the Italian:

PSA 10 Tyson
  • Options
    jackstrawjackstraw Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭
    I know its just me but I would think by know PSA would have fixed the ugly mylar sleeve
    problem? Yes it's ugly and they could put their heads together and come up with some sort
    of sleeve that doesn't bunch up and wrinkle like that. Other than it looks like a beautiful
    card...
    Collector Focus

ON ITS WAY TO NEWPORT BEACH, CA 92658
  • Options
    StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭

<< <i>just a little note that PWCC has a Tyson PSA 10 up on the bay now, although it is the UK version mislabelled as the Italian:

PSA 10 Tyson >>

I am not familiar with these cards, but how does one tell it is the UK version?? I says made in italy??
  • Options
    DPeck did most of the sleuthing on this - the back of the 1986 italian is in italian throughout, while the UK version was likely produced in early 1987 and has the majority of the back in english, despite the trademark info on the bottom. It may have been manufactured in italy, but it was released in the UK. this thread has more info and pics.
  • Options
    They continue to label them all as Italian of late. I just sent in a low grade one with the UK back and it was labeled 1985 Italian.

In the past six months PSA moved most of the Tyson's to the 1985 Pop report and there are still a few on the 1986. I would be very cautious using the Pop figures per grade of the various versions as they have been mixed at this point.

I feel that the research I did proves that the English back was released after the Italian and the true rookie in my mind is the actual Italian language version.

What ever the case may be this card listed is very nice.

• Options

<< <i>They continue to label them all as Italian of late. I just sent in a low grade one with the UK back and it was labeled 1985 Italian. >>

This is concerning, and surprising that after multiple people send in information to PSA, they respond by getting it more wrong by switching the date to 1985 and eliminating the UK edition. We're working on the top 100 registry now, I'll see if we can't get this fixed once and for all.

Agree that it looks nice though. So does this mean that there are only 2 PSA 10 italian true RCs in existence? Or some other figure? I would guess that there are between 3 and 5, given the current auction. The pop report lists:

3 1985 Italian 10s,
    3 1986 UK 10s, and
    3 1986 italian 10s.
  • Options
    hyperchipper09hyperchipper09 Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭✭✭
    same seller also has a correctly labeled Panini UK Tyson. Interesting how PSA can screw up the labels on those. rather easy to tell the difference if you flip the sticker over image
  • Options
    jeffcbayjeffcbay Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>DPeck did most of the sleuthing on this - the back of the 1986 italian is in italian throughout, while the UK version was likely produced in early 1987 and has the majority of the back in english, despite the trademark info on the bottom. It may have been manufactured in italy, but it was released in the UK. this thread has more info and pics. >>

• Options
    Another on eBay at the moment

eBay Link
  • Options
    hyperchipper09hyperchipper09 Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Labeled correctly at least. Now let's see if we can dissect it and find out if in fact it is a true Gem Mint 10, a weak 10, or a fugly 10 image
  • Options

<< <i>Labeled correctly at least. Now let's see if we can dissect it and find out if in fact it is a true Gem Mint 10, a weak 10, or a fugly 10 image >>

This is Miklia from the boards card. It is a real beauty.

• Options
    thanks Dpeck, yep this is mine. I'm of course biased, but I believe this to be the finest PSA 10 in existence, at least that I have seen for sale. I consider it equal to or maybe a touch better than the PSA 10 that sold last year for $5k. I also have a Manny PSA 10 up as well that I feel the same about, having inspected all three in hand. I'm not looking to fire sale either, but with a baby on the way in a week or two, it's time to start that college fund. With sources for both cards now bone dry, I think they're going to stay very tough to get.
  • Options
    SumoMenkoManSumoMenkoMan Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭
    Manny raw rookies are non-existent in Japan these days. I haven't seen one pop up in a long time.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Labeled correctly at least. Now let's see if we can dissect it and find out if in fact it is a true Gem Mint 10, a weak 10, or a fugly 10 image >>

This is Miklia from the boards card. It is a real beauty. >>

Soon to be dpeck100's. I can't wait to get this card this week. Thanks Jason for taking my offer.
  • Options
    If it had to go, I'm happy it stayed in the CU family. Thanks for a great transaction and enjoy the card - it's a blazer!
  • Options
    The eagle has landed!!! Thanks again Jason for a great transaction.

• Options
    Very nice card! Just out of curiosity, what did you pay for that blazer?
  • Options
    $2,068

I am not a PayPal gift guy and this allowed for the seller to net what he wanted.
  • Options
    KNAPPKNAPP Posts: 654 ✭✭✭
    Great investment card. Congrats.
    the KNAPP collection - specializing in boxing and wrestling
    Always looking to buy or trade for Andre the Giant autographs
    psacard.com/psasetregistry/non-sports/famous-personage/andre-giant-master-set/alltimeset/180400