Home U.S. Coin Forum

1874-cc dime GTG

ebaybuyerebaybuyer Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭
I don't care about your biased allegiance to the brand of holder, but rather whats in the holder

regardless of how many posts I have, I don't consider myself an "expert" at anything

Comments

• tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,162 ✭✭✭✭✭
    40 net graded to 35
  • ebaybuyerebaybuyer Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭
    id say by itself the knife wound to the oNE is enough to subtract a minimum of 5 points
    regardless of how many posts I have, I don't consider myself an "expert" at anything
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    35....shame about the gouge.... Cheers, RickO
  • DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    vf details.......damage, cleaned and EV.
  • MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,755 ✭✭✭✭✭
    vf details
    Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Batman23Batman23 Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd go VF35. Too bad about the reverse hit.
  • BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,864 ✭✭✭✭✭
    PCGS has not given any of these coins this grade, but my net grade would be VF-25. The sharpness is close to EF, with the reverse all there, with exception of the scratch. The obverse has had a bit of cleaning, and there are some spots. Still I think of what a VF-20 would look like these days, so VF-25 seems fair.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • mr1931Smr1931S Posts: 6,206 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This '74-cc has lots of detail remaining.Gouge on "ONE" not too big a deal.Decent color,front and back.There shouldn't be any shame for the collector in putting this coin into his or her collection of Seated dimes,assembled by date and mintmark.This date is definitely not for the type collector,however.One shouldn't buy with the expectation it's going to pay off big as an investment either.

Net to VF20 for pricing purposes.I would be hard-pressed to take much less than 20K if this coin were mine and I was trying to sell it.

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.-Albert Einstein

• ashelandasheland Posts: 23,075 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>vf details.......damage, cleaned and EV. >>

Exactly my thought.
  • johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 28,112 ✭✭✭✭✭
    vf details, cleaned image
  • winkywinky Posts: 1,671
    I don't care what anybody says, it is still a 1874 CC dime and rare as hens teeth. I like it.image
    Didn't say I didn't like it. I would take it in a heartbeat.

Don't think I would pay near 20K for it though.

I wish I had my nice original good back!image
  • roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What Bill Jones said.

I'd grade it XF details. Net value of a F-VF coin. If by some chance this was given a "pass" then it should be in a VF holder. Compared to the typically seen corroded and mangled coins, this one is pretty nice....maybe in the upper half of all coins from a "problem-free" perspective. I doubt there's more than a 2-3 dozen problem free coins in existence. The rarest "collectible" CC seated coin.

Back in the 1974 this date listed in Coin World trends in XF for $750. It was the number 1 coin on so many want lists. Regardless, it tended to trade for up to 2X listed levels. It probably took 30-35 years before the price lists finally caught up with real price of the 74-cc dimes. And that was one reason I never bought a top-notch specimen. I just couldn't bring myself to pay 2X what the "listed" price was. And 40 years later....still don't own one. I did own a problematic example around 1976 that was like F-VF details and heavily hacked up. I sold it for around Good 4 money. Never dreamed it would be the last one I ever owned. I was sure I was going to discover a sleeper unc at a show or auction someday. Yeah right..........
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • DaveWcoinsDaveWcoins Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭

<< <i>PCGS has not given any of these coins this grade, but my net grade would be VF-25. The sharpness is close to EF, with the reverse all there, with exception of the scratch. The obverse has had a bit of cleaning, and there are some spots. Still I think of what a VF-20 would look like these days, so VF-25 seems fair. >>

I also agree with Bill Jones analysis, but I would net it to VF-20.

A rare coin, and much better than usually seen.
    Dave Wnuck. Redbook contributor; long time PNG Member; listed on the PCGS Board of Experts. PM me with your email address to receive my e-newsletter, and visit DaveWcoins.com Find me on eBay at davewcoins
    1959 (12th Edition) Redbook lists 1874-cc dime in "Fine" for $120. An "Unc."? $390.

I really need to get busy on my time travel project....Einstein theorized that time travel is possible...

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.-Albert Einstein

• Catch22Catch22 Posts: 1,086 ✭✭
    40 no remarks.

When we are planning for posterity, we ought to remember that virtue is not hereditary.

Thomas Paine
  • ChangeInHistoryChangeInHistory Posts: 3,028 ✭✭✭✭✭
    (Net) VF-30
  • Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 8,086 ✭✭✭✭✭
    VF20 - don't like the spots on it, ugly - low end. Someone would need to discount it to sell it.
    Coins & Currency
  • jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,657 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If I recall this coin is graded XF , looked at it in auction lots a few years ago when it came up. Had it been any other date, they would have bagged it due to the horrendous "dig" on reverse.
  • roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>If I recall this coin is graded XF , looked at it in auction lots a few years ago when it came up. Had it been any other date, they would have bagged it due to the horrendous "dig" on reverse. >>

I had a PCGS VF-25 or VF-30 1872-s 25c sent to me about 6-8 years ago. It seemed like a fantastic deal for this date. Upon inspection both sides had a lot of blackening as if once in a fire. There was also a significant scratch right running mostly left to right across much of the the eagle....longer but not as wide as the gouge on this 74-cc dime. I hated to send such an elusive coin back but was afraid at some point in time the coin could morph into "genuine." A couple years later I saw it hit auction and fetch over $1,000 more!
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • seateddimeseateddime Posts: 6,169 ✭✭✭
    If I was grading it I would say VF35 but not original so likely would not holder.

Put it in a envelope and wait 10-15 years and it will look a lot nicer.
    I seldom check PM's but do check emails often jason@seated.org

Buying top quality Seated Dimes in Gem BU and Proof.

Buying great coins - monster eye appeal only.
  • coindeucecoindeuce Posts: 13,474 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It is obvious from the images that it resides in our hosts holder. And from having observed that our host will tend to straight grade rare date type coins with minor problems, I believe it is graded VF-35.

"Everything is on its way to somewhere. Everything." - George Malley, Phenomenon
    http://www.americanlegacycoins.com

So what is it graded already?!
    40 ... and in a secure holder. my point is, that had it been a more common date it probably would have been BB'd for at least one of its problems, or graded much lower. I grade it AU ...an acronym for "Awful Ugly"
    >>>Should be DNG all day! <<<

I agree.
    i have several that i would like to send in with this guy's submissions, earlier this year i was going 19 for 20 with fair grades, my last two boxes came back filled with WTF?'s if i had a better camera i would shoot some examples, but suffice to say that i miss the grader i was getting earlier this year. he or she had a working knowledge of what they were looking at and graded fairly, sometimes a bit conservative but still fair, im half tempted to include a note with my next sub requesting my coins be graded by one of the competent graders. rather than overgrading two of the twenty, then undergrading the rest, why not grade them all fairly ?
  • coindeucecoindeuce Posts: 13,474 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>40 ... and in a secure holder. my point is, that had it been a more common date it probably would have been BB'd for at least one of its problems, or graded much lower. I grade it AU ...an acronym for "Awful Ugly" >>

I had the exact issue with a VF30 '72-CC quarter that appeared here a few years ago. I paid for it via an escrow service, and promptly shipped it back to the seller on receipt, telling them that they should take PCGS' opinion with a huge grain of salt.

"Everything is on its way to somewhere. Everything." - George Malley, Phenomenon
    http://www.americanlegacycoins.com

• 291fifth291fifth Posts: 24,277 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Vf details, genuine. I would never buy it as an Xf.
    All glory is fleeting.
    IIRC, they pretty much all look like that
  • BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,487 ✭✭✭✭✭
    lots of bust and seated coins with damage from circulation are in NP holders -- market acceptable. It's just the way it is. Collectors just need to determine if such coins are worthy of their collections.
  • seateddimeseateddime Posts: 6,169 ✭✭✭
    You did really well getting that in a XF 40 holder, it is a tough coin.

I personally would sell it and use the money to buy a problem free one.

This is Jim Gray's former coin graded NGC AU53 - PCGS would not cross it at a 50, they wanted to grade it a 45 so if your coin is a 40 how do you think it compares?

I seldom check PM's but do check emails often jason@seated.org

Buying top quality Seated Dimes in Gem BU and Proof.

Buying great coins - monster eye appeal only.
    This is Jim Gray's former coin graded NGC AU53 - PCGS would not cross it at a 50, they wanted to grade it a 45 so if your coin is a 40 how do you think it compares?

I see the grade now after i guessed in the other thread.

I would never buy the '74-cc subject of this GTG as XF40.It's easily a $15K,possibly $20K (on a good day) coin though,in my opinion.That said,many,if not most, surviving '74-CC's do not look nearly as nice as this one.The damage on the reverse is limited to the 'N E'.The die crack in 'C C',that all genuine '74-cc's should have,is not damaged.This should be a very important consideration for anyone who needs a '74-cc for their collection regardless of grade,regardless of "acceptable" damage that might otherwise be present.Extremely rare,rare as hen's teeth as someone here mentioned.According to Greer,R5 in grades below XF.Details XF.Price at VF.

XF 45 is definitely too low a grade for a cross on the ex Gray piece,in my opinion.No cross at 50 either? Puzzling.NGC undergraded Jim Gray's coin,in my opinion.I still think its an AU55.

The real issue is pricing.I see in my Coin World mag from April that a '74-cc dime is supposed to be a $45K coin in AU50.No prices shown for higher grades.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file