Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

LM2E (Lord Marcovan To England)- Detecting Trip - giveaway done, now

Guess the date on the first coin I'll dig in England!

Obviously, not even I know what that will be yet.

But go ahead and venture a guess.

Pick a year, any year.

Really pretty much anything from the first century BC onwards is possible on these fields.

Whoever guesses closest to the date will win a modestly valued (but nice) British coin.

Perhaps one of the UNC George V farthings I got from Dimitri a while back. Or maybe one of the leftover holey silver oldies from my vest.

Update, January 2014: Happy New Year. Sorry I was away for November and December. JCMHouston won the giveaway and as of this post still has not received his goodies, but I'll fix that.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.

Comments

• Musky1011Musky1011 Posts: 3,899 ✭✭✭✭
    Pilgrim Clock and Gift Shop.. Expert clock repair since 1844

Menomonee Falls Wisconsin USA

http://www.pcgs.com/SetRegistr...dset.aspx?s=68269&ac=1">Musky 1861 Mint Set
  • lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,194 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sorry, Jim- I edited the rules on you while you posted.

Instead of guessing type, denomination, and all that, just guess a date. That's simpler.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • PokermandudePokermandude Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭
    http://stores.ebay.ca/Mattscoin - Canadian coins, World Coins, Silver, Gold, Coin lots, Modern Mint Products & Collections
  • 200 AD
    agentjimm007- I like the way you think! image

• bretts911bretts911 Posts: 764 ✭✭✭
  • YorkshiremanYorkshireman Posts: 4,493 ✭✭✭✭✭

My English uncle once found an 1853 seated liberty dime in his yard in Yorkshire, in northern England.
    Wouldn't you love to know how it got there?
    Yorkshireman,Obsessed collector of round, metallic pieces of history.Hunting for Latin American colonial portraits plus cool US & British coins.
  • DUIGUYDUIGUY Posts: 7,252 ✭✭✭
    “A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly."

- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 106-43 BC

<< <i>1853.

My English uncle once found an 1853 seated liberty dime in his yard in Yorkshire, in northern England.
    Wouldn't you love to know how it got there? >>

Indeed. I noticed on one of the forums I read recently where somebody over there found a US gold dollar of about the same period.

US servicemen in both world wars would be the prime suspects, I think, (maybe even for the Seated dime and gold dollar) but of course the possibilities are endless.

Which is one of the things I love about detector finds. The aura of mystery.

• ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,759 ✭✭✭✭
    Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • sparky64sparky64 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭✭✭

Edited to say: But I really hope you find something waaaaayyy older. Enjoy!

"If I say something in the woods and my wife isn't there to hear it.....am I still wrong?"

My Washington Quarter Registry set...in progress

BTW, though I don't know the exact location of the fields we'll be hunting, I'll be staying in a converted barn (built in 1715) in Wrabness, Manningtree, Essex.

• SmEagle1795SmEagle1795 Posts: 2,135 ✭✭✭✭✭
    610 BC - shooting for the moon, find some Lydian electrum!!
    Learn about our world's shared history told through the first millennium of coinage: Colosseo Collection

<< <i>610 BC - shooting for the moon, find some Lydian electrum!! >>

Hey, it could happen.

If it does, I'll up the ante and give away a gold coin of some kind. image

• pcgs69pcgs69 Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭✭
    I hope it's a 1575 hammered coin! I hope they were made that year!

Successful BST transactions with:CollectorsCoins, farthing, Filacoins, LordMarcovan, Duki, Spoon, Jinx86, ubercollector, hammered54
    LochNess and ProfHaroldHill

• BarberianBarberian Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭✭✭
    3 rim nicks away from Good
  • hchcoinhchcoin Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • JCMhoustonJCMhouston Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭
  • OldEastsideOldEastside Posts: 4,602 ✭✭✭✭✭

Steve
    Promote the Hobby
  • LotsoLuckLotsoLuck Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭
  • keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,452 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No guesses here but boy do I look forward to a full report! image

Best of Luck to You!
    "If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • mnemtsas2mnemtsas2 Posts: 745 ✭✭✭
    1924 farthing. Good luck LM, I hope you have a blast!
    Successful trades with Syracusian, DeiGratia, LordM, WWW, theboz11, CCC2010, Hyperion, ajaan, wybrit, Dennis88 and many others.
  • JohnnyCacheJohnnyCache Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭✭✭

Is this an organized trip or did you put it together yourself?

• HoledandCreativeHoledandCreative Posts: 2,729 ✭✭✭✭✭
    2010, have a great time!

<< <i>Is this an organized trip or did you put it together yourself? >>

An organized trip.

All room and board and ground transportation included, plus the legalities like site permissions (they have thousands of acres lined up and we get to choose the fields), and then all the export licensing and treasure trove inquests and all that.

The planning and logistics of this were difficult enough for me as it was. Which is why it has taken me so long to get this far.

Now it looks like it will finally happen. Thanks in very large part to you, my forum friends.

I cannot imagine what it would have been like if I'd chosen to go on my own. (Stranger in a strange land, and all that stuff, y'know.)

• GrumpyEdGrumpyEd Posts: 4,749 ✭✭✭

But I hope I'm wrong and you find something much older image
    Ed
  • rec78rec78 Posts: 5,675 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1989 Thanks!
  • 1975 ... but hoping for something WAY older! image
    Let's try not to get upset.
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1961...but I am sure you will find much older stuff later on.... Cheers, RickO
  • STLNATSSTLNATS Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭

Have a great time.

Always interested in St Louis MO & IL metro area and Evansville IN national bank notes and Vatican/papal states coins and medals!
  • pmacpmac Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭
    1917, just to have a guess. I hate to say this, but I was really excited to first learn about your expedition. It's been years in the making, and quite honestly, I lost interest and didn't think it would happen. Well, now that it seems a reality, I'm looking forward to some of that lordmarcovan lore. Where can we find your tales, here or the metal detecting forum or anywhere else? Good luck and show those Brits some of that southern humor and yarn.
    Paul
  • erwindocerwindoc Posts: 4,925 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tempted to say you'll strike out...but Ill guess 1889. Good luck Rob!
  • guitarwesguitarwes Posts: 9,237 ✭✭✭
    @ Elite CNC Routing & Woodworks on Facebook. Check out my work.
    Too many positive BST transactions with too many members to list.
  • WillieBoyd2WillieBoyd2 Posts: 5,034 ✭✭✭✭✭
    An Egyptian Magic Coin.

A number have been found in England.

https://www.brianrxm.com
    The Mysterious Egyptian Magic Coin
    Coins in Movies
    Coins on Television

• ajaanajaan Posts: 17,073 ✭✭✭✭✭

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don

All the best for a safe and fun trip. I'm looking forward to reading about your adventure!
  • I'll go with an Elizabeth I hammered sixpence. Date? I dunno, 1583?

Good luck on the trip, Rob.
  • 1876-this is the year my house was built. Good luck to you Rob and come back to the good old USA safe and sound. Olmanjon
    Proud recipiant of the Lord M "you suck award-March-2008"
    http://bit.ly/bxi7py
  • StorkStork Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1965. Now, I'm not saying it'll be a Churchill, but lets stick with the year imageimageimage

Cathy

<< <i>1917, just to have a guess. I hate to say this, but I was really excited to first learn about your expedition. It's been years in the making, and quite honestly, I lost interest and didn't think it would happen. Well, now that it seems a reality, I'm looking forward to some of that lordmarcovan lore. Where can we find your tales, here or the metal detecting forum or anywhere else? Good luck and show those Brits some of that southern humor and yarn. >>

I really did let this fall by the wayside too long- years- but not all of that was my fault. Certainly I deserve a large share of the blame for procrastinating, though. Funny, but once this started I actually got anxious about it and dreaded all the preparations. Now that they are (almost) complete, I am starting to really get excited.

I'll probably use YouTube for posting all the story.

Erwindoc- I could indeed strike out, though my chances of returning without finding a single coin in a week are practically nil.

Cathy- 1965 was a lucky year. image

• worldcoinguyworldcoinguy Posts: 2,999 ✭✭✭✭

Good luck on your dig!
  • TestoonTestoon Posts: 152 ✭✭✭
    Bill
    witty quote goes here

best of luck over there, hope to hear all about it
    link those of us that don't venture outside of the currency or ancients forums image
    =Recipient of the coveted "You Suck" award 4/28/2014=
    Check out the group's most recent finds.

October, page 1

(Man, that rolled out field is sure some beautiful dirt. Looks like nice easy walking and digging.)

October, page 2

(The gold ingot presently at the bottom of the page was just announced on the private forum today.)

• WhiteTornadoWhiteTornado Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭
    1807. Best wishes for a memorable trip! image
  • donzmedonzme Posts: 161 ✭✭✭