Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

LM2E (Lord Marcovan To England)- Detecting Trip - giveaway done, now

13»

Comments

• Options
    SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,886 ✭✭✭✭✭

Amazing link you posted lordmarcovan.
    These are November finds! and the month is like 5 days old!!

colchestertreasurehunting November finds

BTW, congrats on your Edward I penny find.

imageimage

Mine lay buried in beach sand in Wales until found by a detectorist earlier this century. image
    (also London Mint)

• Options
    ZoharZohar Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rob - you really rallied the troops with this thread. Nothing beats a real treasure hunt! Good luck and have fun!
  • Options
    pmacpmac Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭
    OK, I b--ched about not hearing from you, and for that I'm truly remorseful. This thread is the best to come on these forums in a long, long time.
    LM2E should be expanded to other worldly locations so that Rob, a true story teller, can entertain us. How about LordM to Canterbury while he's there. Chaucer needs new tales to publish.
    Paul
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wednesday, day five.

Rained all day. I guess it happens, huh.

More nasty, gluey mud everywhere.

I got one more coin todsy- the fourth so far for me.

It was a 1916 George V halfpenny.

Thought for sure I had a late Roman bronze once but it turned out to be another Georgian button with the shank gone.

There were seversl of those. I like thst about 80% of the targets have been old stuff. Too bad I sometimes have to slog tbrough half a mile of mud between signal.

Today was tough. But the rest of the week is supposed to be sunny.

Two and a half more dig days left... what will be found? image

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    I'd really like to hear about and see your non coin items. Do you encounter the same types of trash we dig here? And then there is ancient trash(aka, relics).
  • Options
    WeissWeiss Posts: 9,935 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So cool! Congrats on the hunt of a lifetime, and the tremendous finds.

Early hammered English silver. The stuff of detector dreams!! image
    We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • Options
    JCMhoustonJCMhouston Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭
    It's November in England Lord M, you're lucky to get any dry days.
  • Options

<< <i>It's November in England Lord M, you're lucky to get any dry days. >>

Oh, I know.

But today is gorgeous.

And here I am at the barn doing my laundry, while the others are on a fresh, barely-hunted field. image

Got out there this morning and my detector was on the fritz.

Despite a rain cover, it somehow got moisture in it and now doesn't work right.

Odd, since it worked fine under yesterday's tough conditions.

So I lose a half day if not a full one, until my machine dries out or someone offers the loan of a backup. Didn't bring my own secondary machine because it too had issues.

Bad turn of luck, and just as the weather improved. image

Hopefully I will get to go tomorrow somehow.

Brian- there is not much modern trash in these particular fields, though I did dig a ball of foil big enough to wrap aThanksgiving turkey yesterday. Basically it is like th e cleaner relic sites I hunt in GA... not many signals, but those are usually older things like small bits of lead or copper, flat buttons, etc.
    Coins are few and far between but tend to be older when found, as my few attest. I know of only one post-WW2 coin showing up this week.

A lot of the greenies are 1600s and 1700s coppers from William III to George III.

I haven't seen any 1797 Cartwheel types but Colorado John found a Scottish James II Gun Money halfcrown.

Sal found another Edward I penny but said it was bent. California Gary got a tiny fragment cut from a medieval Venetian soldino.

My detector failure will cost me valuable field time but I have just been offered a loaner for tomorrow.

Even if I fail to make any other noteworthy finds, though, the thrill of digging those two hammies has made the trip worthwhile. image

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    WhiteTornadoWhiteTornado Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭
    Bummer about the equipment failures, but it does sound like you're having a good time overall. A half-mile between signals! image That must take a boatload of patience.
  • Options
    HussuloHussulo Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭
    Glad your enjoying yourself down in England. Hope the detector is back to working soon as I am really enjoying reading your thread. Nice finds too.

I was out detecting a few weeks ago and my friend found the usual worn Victorian pennies etc but he went out again on his own one night and found a very nice seal matrix which we believe (as depicted) belonged to ROBERT WISHART, BISHOP OF GLASGOW 1271-1316. One of the most notable bishops of the diocese of Glasgow, and one time "Guardian of Scotland". Its now with the Treasure Trove team who are going to id it and get back to him.
  • Options
    AethelredAethelred Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭
    Reading your posts LM has been the next best thing to being there. It must have been a special moment when you realized you were holding a coin that was last touched by someone in the Middle Ages!
    If you are in the Western North Carolina area, please consider visiting our coin shop:

WNC Coins, LLC
    1987-C Hendersonville Road
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,125 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is he back yet?

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options

<< <i>Is he back yet? >>

I was wondering the same thing. Maybe he liked it so much he stayed?
  • Options
    AethelredAethelred Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Is he back yet? >>

Not to worry, they will kick him out when they see all the craters he has left in their pretty green fields.
    If you are in the Western North Carolina area, please consider visiting our coin shop:

WNC Coins, LLC
    1987-C Hendersonville Road
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,125 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Not to worry, they will kick him out when they see all the craters he has left in their pretty green fields. >>

imageimageimageimage That's pretty funny.

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    Has Lord M gone yeti again? Hope he made it back ok and is not imprisoned because he tried to bring out unauthorized coins. Looking forward to hearing his complete story and pictures.
    Olmanjon
    Proud recipiant of the Lord M "you suck award-March-2008"
    http://bit.ly/bxi7py
  • Options
    His fanboys await. imageimageimage
  • Options
    StorkStork Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭✭✭
    And fangirls!

• Options
    SmEagle1795SmEagle1795 Posts: 2,136 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>His fanboys await. imageimageimage >>

Indeed! Looking forward to hearing what was uncovered. I was heartbroken when I read that his detector broke, but I really hope he recovered from it and managed to find some good pieces.
    Learn about our world's shared history told through the first millennium of coinage: Colosseo Collection
  • Options
    Well, I'm back. Been back a week, actually. And back to work, of course. At the resort, we are resuming our lobby renovation*, so the Front Desk is now in its temporary "winter quarters" while construction resumes.

Back on a real keyboard (yay).

But I'm gonna be Yeti for a while, and it will be a while before I do a proper writeup and post the videos and such. I did shoot hours of video, but not very much of it is terribly interesting. By some strange jinx, it seems that on the few occasions when I actually did make a nice find, it was dark and I had forgotten my headlamp, or I'd forgotten to put the SD card back into the camera from the day before, etc.

Sadly, there were not very many finds after my detector died, though I did go out once with a borrowed detector (and dug almost nothing but "hot rocks", i.e. "clinkers" - coal slag that gives a metallic signal.)

Wouldn't you know the nicest weather day and the hunt on the near-virgin field with lots of coins happened on the day my machine bit the dust, and I missed it. The guys found a lot of Georgian coins. One said he found twelve "greenies". There were also some "Bullhead" George III sixpence pieces, one of them quite sharp.

And the gold coins showed up with a day or two after my departure! (Though Sal did find that exquisite gold thimble the day before I left.) They were waiting for sugar beets to be harvested off one field that's been a hotspot for Celtic gold coins, and that happened just after I left. They got out there and sure enough, they found some more Celtic gold! Plus an Edward III quarter-noble! These are shown near the bottom of the November finds page.

I had a lot of challenges on this trip, most of them related to my physical fitness (or lack thereof), but it was, needless to say, very exciting, and worth the discomfort and expense.

I used to really, really love cheesecake, until I started working in upscale resorts where I could get all the cheesecake I wanted, and got sick of it. Nowadays, I still like it, but don't eat it very often. Just every once in a while. After a solid week of ten-hour detecting days and miles and miles of walking, mud, rain, stinging nettles, and so on, I have to say, my feelings about metal detecting are now rather like my outlook on cheesecake. I still love it and intend to enjoy it every once in a while, but it's gonna be quite some time before I'll go on a binge again, if ever.

I never would have guessed that only FOUR coins would be found by me in the course of the journey. But at least they were all old, and two of them silver.

So I got two "hammies" and two "greenies":

Silver penny of Edward I, circa 1300-1310
    Silver penny of Charles I, circa 1641-1643
    Copper farthing of George II, 1750
    Bronze halfpenny of George V, 1916

And I got a teeny little lead medieval token, probably a gaming counter of some kind. (I'm not sure if the one showed at the very end of the November finds page is mine, but mine looked a lot like that.) And of course I did find a few interesting relics like buttons and such.

These were pathetic results if compared against the other hunters, but it wasn't a competition, fortunately. I'm just happy I found what I did. I guess I didn't embarrass myself too badly, considering how vastly outclassed I was in equipment, physical stamina, and local experience. I was told that some past newbies on these hunts have failed to find hammered silver. And tiny hammered silver like my Charles I penny is not easy to detect.

Again, I must thank those who contributed to send me on this trip.

Oh, yeah, we've still got a giveaway to do, here, don't we? I have to figure out who won. And what the prize will be. I think it will be a BU George V farthing, an inexpensive slabbed Roman coin, and perhaps a holey Gothic florin from my old Holey Coin Vest. Stay tuned.

Oh- BTW, most of the other guys weren't even interested in their more humble button and relic finds, and even some of the "greenie" coins. They were gonna throw most of that stuff into a recycling bin! Instead, I had 'em throw that stuff into a cup, and the cup was full by the time I left. Full of pottery, pipe stems, lots of buttons, and a few small relics. I had the hunt organizer put all of that into my export pouch, so once the export licensing is done, I will get all of it along with my personal finds. I figured I could put together some little bags of old and interesting (albeit monetarily worthless) goodies, for a future giveaway. But it will likely be months before the export pouch reaches me here in the States.

• Options

<< <i>ND, Henry III penny. >>

As far as I can tell, this guess from JCMhouston was the closest, as Henry III was the father of Edward I, who issued the penny I found (which was my first dug coin in England).

So JCMhouston wins the giveaway on this one.

The YouTube contest specified first dated coin found, so whoever guessed closest to 1750 will win that.

• Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,540 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sounds like quite an adventure, LordM. One of those tough experiences that are still way worth it at the end.
  • Options

Now that is one cool icon.

• Options
    TookybanditTookybandit Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭✭
    Sounds like a trip of a lifetime! image
  • Options

<< <i>image

Now that is one cool icon.

image >>

Ol' Eddie Longshanks looks kinda pigfaced on that coin. image

• Options

<< <i>Glad your enjoying yourself down in England. Hope the detector is back to working soon as I am really enjoying reading your thread. Nice finds too.

I was out detecting a few weeks ago and my friend found the usual worn Victorian pennies etc but he went out again on his own one night and found a very nice seal matrix which we believe (as depicted) belonged to ROBERT WISHART, BISHOP OF GLASGOW 1271-1316. One of the most notable bishops of the diocese of Glasgow, and one time "Guardian of Scotland". Its now with the Treasure Trove team who are going to id it and get back to him. >>

This is very neat.

Two seal matrices were found while I was there. One was that nice silver one. Amazing finds, particularly when the former owners can be identified and the seal put in its historical context, like the one your friend found.

• Options
    There are several people in my club that go england every year. These members never find anything old here and despise searching trashy areas here also. Yet, when they go to england, they somehow always find gold coins and tons of other stuff. So, either the fields are barren of trash or someone is planting the field to keep the customers happy.
  • Options

<< <i>There are several people in my club that go england every year. These members never find anything old here and despise searching trashy areas here also. Yet, when they go to england, they somehow always find gold coins and tons of other stuff. So, either the fields are barren of trash or someone is planting the field to keep the customers happy. >>

The fields there were astonishingly barren of trash (and other signals). Very clean. And there's no way the goodies were "planted", because the fields were HUGE, and there were dozens of them, and we got to pick which ones we wanted to hunt, on the spur of the moment. I was worried about them "salting" the fields before I went over there, but having been there and done it, I now know for sure that that did NOT happen with the group I went with. Maybe it does on some of the other tours, but not with the folks I went with.

You've got to remember that gold coins circulated over there for more than 2,000 years. It's no wonder more are found by people who go there. None were found while I was there, but the guys in my group found several within a day or two of my departure (wouldn't you know it). One guy did find a nice gold 18th century thimble while I was there.