Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

LM2E (Lord Marcovan To England)- Detecting Trip - giveaway done, now

Comments

• Options
    kimber45ACPkimber45ACP Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    1689 ... would be nice to find a William & Mary piece right off the bat.
    1st You Suck - 04/07/05 - Thanks MadMarty!

Happy Rock Wrens

You're having delusions of grandeur again. - Susan Ivanova
    Well, if you're gonna have delusions, may as well go for the really satisfying ones. - Marcus Cole
  • Options
    DorkGirlDorkGirl Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭
    1575 Elizabeth 1.....my dream coin.image
    Becky
  • Options
    BailathaclBailathacl Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭
    1561. What the heck....
    "The Internet? Is that thing still around??" - Homer Simpson
  • Options
    bigmarty58bigmarty58 Posts: 1,998 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Have a great time, my guess is 1958...
    Enthusiastic collector of British pre-decimal and Canadian decimal circulation coins.
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,214 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>1689 ... would be nice to find a William & Mary piece right off the bat. >>

Sure would.

Look what's come up, just this month:

imageimage

Not sure if the reverse scratch is contemporary, or if it happened during the recovery. The latter would be heartbreaking for the digger. Nevertheless, I'd be a very, very happy guy, regardless!

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,886 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm not too sure about this being the first coin you'll dig but I am very certain about the date.image

edit:typo
  • Options
    BSBS Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭
    2000 state quarter image
  • Options
    savoyspecialsavoyspecial Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭

www.brunkauctions.com

• Options

but I hope it will be much much older. image
  • Options
    DUIGUYDUIGUY Posts: 7,252 ✭✭✭

<< <i>BTW, though I don't know the exact location of the fields we'll be hunting, I'll be staying in a converted barn (built in 1715) in Wrabness, Manningtree, Essex. >>

WOWZERS! You get the entire BARN??? image
    “A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly."

- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 106-43 BC
  • Options
    ZotZot Posts: 825 ✭✭✭
    1649 image
    Minelab: GPX 5000, Excalibur II, Explorer SE. White's: MXT, PI Pro
  • Options
    nicholasz219nicholasz219 Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭
    I really want to say 1648, so I'll say 1648. Charles II would be a nice first piece. I almost said 1976 since it is my birthday the day after you get there (11/2) but that's just crazy now. image

Good luck Rob, and hope you have a great (and safe) trip!
  • Options
    how did the coin get there?
    A collection uploaded on www.petitioncrown.com is a fifty- year love affair with beautiful British coins, medals and Roman brass
  • Options

<< <i>how did the coin get there? >>

I doubt we'll know how the coin got there. We're just guessing what its date will be, in advance.

Unless I dig one that's buried in a box, with a note explaining how it came to be there. That would be interesting.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    kevinstangkevinstang Posts: 1,517 ✭✭✭
    I'll go with 2012...dropped by another treasure hunter. Have a great trip and enjoy the weather! HH
  • Options
    Just seven hours from takeoff, now!

• Options
    RobPRobP Posts: 483 ✭✭
    No date.
  • Options
    DockwalliperDockwalliper Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭
    Hope no one else picked..........1897
  • Options
    shirohniichanshirohniichan Posts: 4,992 ✭✭✭

<< <i>1853.

My English uncle once found an 1853 seated liberty dime in his yard in Yorkshire, in northern England.
    Wouldn't you love to know how it got there? >>

10 cents! That would have been a treasure to me.

When I was young we used to 'ave to get up out of our shoebox at twelve o'clock at night and lick road clean wit' tongue. We had two bits of cold gravel, worked twenty-four hours a day at mill for sixpence every four years, and when we got home our Dad would slice us in two wit' bread knife.
    Obscurum per obscurius
  • Options
    shirohniichanshirohniichan Posts: 4,992 ✭✭✭
    1983?
    Obscurum per obscurius
  • Options
    Happy trails and post when you can LM.

• Options
    SYRACUSIANSYRACUSIAN Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭✭
    So Rob really left? image

I've missed this thread's resurrection and didn't get to PM him a goodbye. Hope he PMs me from England, because my partner will be in London from November 10 to 26, and she can certainly make things a bit easier for him. Plus, he can contact me via Skype, once he sees her, if he does in the end.
    Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3
  • Options
    pmacpmac Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭
    Alright, it's already Nov 4th, and we've all opened up this thread for news about Lord M's explorations. Let's hear some news!
    Paul
  • Options
    YorkshiremanYorkshireman Posts: 4,494 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great to see a fellow Python fan!!
    Cheers, as they say!
    Yorkshireman,Obsessed collector of round, metallic pieces of history.Hunting for Latin American colonial portraits plus cool US & British coins.
  • Options
    Greetings from Wrabness, Manningtree, Essex!

Sorry it has taken a while to post.

I do not have much computer access here and so updates will be sparse while I'm on this side of the pond. Right now I am on a borrowed (and very unfamiliar) MacBook.

Here's the short summary so far.

Day one was a half day. By the time we got to the field I had been awake for thirty hours, had just traveled four thousand miles, and was rather jet lagged.

The finds were practically nil. Just two rusty-crusties. I was startled to find how sparse signals are in these fields. One can walk across a hundred-acre field and make a full pass without getting a single signal. Not at all what I am used to from the States.

In fact, I was quickly to find that despite my utopian dreams of detecting here, it is really tough, HARD WORK. These guys make it look easy, but it's anything but.

I am with a group of six guys, all Americans, all using the same model of machine- a state of the art $2500 detector- the Minelab CTX 3030. My Garrett GTI 2500, which was state of the art ten years ago, is practically quaint by comparison. Additionally, though I am the second youngest in our crew, I am the least physically fit. These guys hump it in all conditions for 11 or 12 hours a day. I'm good for about six.

Day two was my first full day in the field. I still found NOT ONE SINGLE COIN. My barn leader, Sal, found a nice James I halfgroat and somebody else got a nice Roman sestertius which I believe is Antoninus Pius. (Update: it was Marcus Aurelius.) The edges on it are a bit ragged but the surfaces are otherwise great for a dug bronze and the portrait is sharp.

I at least broke into the medieval period with a half of a crotal bell and a tiny, crude lead gaming token that has a cross on it. Also some Georgian flat buttons, one with some gilt remaining.

But no coin. I began to worry about my "coin jinx".

The weather was nice, actually. Mild temps, though the wind was strong and had a little bite to it.

I got initiated into the "Use A Hedgerow For Your Restroom" club, and despite prior warnings, managed to get both hands and one buttock in stinging nettles. Very nasty, but not as bad as our Georgia fire ants!

Day three dawned damp and cold, and I was very sore. Though I felt ashamed, I stayed at the barn while the rest went out. I took a nap and did not get to the field until after Sal returned to get everybody's lunch.

We went to a field in stubble. Somebody got a broken hammered silver penny. I got zilch. It was rough.

Then we went to "Roman Hill". I got a small Georgian button and some modern trash.

Finally we ended up at a field they've codenamed "MC". I immediately liked the look of the place. The ground was perfect with light green grass (newly planted winter wheat, actually) and nice and smooth. The sky was blue and the sun was shining. I found an area which actually produced signals. Instead of walking half a mile between signals, I was getting them every 50 to 100 feet. Georgian buttons and small bits of lead starting coming up, along with an oval-shaped medieval mount of some kind. I forgot to bring a headlamp, so after dark fell, I was groping around a bit. The last signal produced a coin. Though I couldn't see it, I could feel it was round and rather thin. No telltale shank on the back like a button would have.

I knew I'd broken the coin jinx at last.... three days in.

And, as I had suspected, my first coin was old.

And silver.

And hammered silver, at that. Yeah, baby! Nice one, too.

But that's all I will say right now. Not just to tease you and keep you in suspense, but also because this coin is from a period I'm not quite as confident of in my attribution skills.

Again, THANK YOU ALL for your help in sending me here. This is literally the trip of a lifetime for me, challenging though it is for me, physically.

(At least I haven't had a cigarette since I left Georgia. Figured this was as good a time as any to try quitting again.)

I will try to post again before the week is out, but my Internet access is limited as I do not have anything but a really tiny tablet with me (which is too small to type on).

There will be no video posted until after my return. Couldn't do it from here with the equipment available.

Wouldn't you know I'd dig this first coin after dark on an evening where I left my headlamp in the van. So the video I shot of the moment might be useless.

But there will be plenty of video, and there are still three and a half days left!

• Options
    bronzematbronzemat Posts: 2,605 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice read Rob. Too bad you havent had much luck, but one coin is better then none. Hopefully your luck will change!
  • Options

A Hammie!!

• Options
    WhiteTornadoWhiteTornado Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭
    Nice report! Hang in there and hopefully even better finds await you image
  • Options
    OK.

I won't be cruel.

I'll spill what I know.

It is an Edward long cross penny.

Trouble is, I dunno WHICH Edward. Eddie One, Longshanks, I believe.

Unlike some of the other guys' hammies, this one is intact, despite a small cut one one edge.

It would be considered rather generic and ho-hum in most numismatic circles but is pretty nice for a dug one. Needless to say, I am thrilled.

I think I will make the club webpage with this find so watch the November finds page tomorrow.

http://www.colchestertreasurehunting.co.uk/2013Novfinds.html

Sorry about present and future typos but I am now on my tiny $40 tablet and can barely type, let alone post links.

• Options
    ormandhormandh Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭
    Very cool! Sometimes it is more about the experience than the finds. But, if you found an early silver then it is all about the history. Can you even possibly imagine who could have dropped such a coin? And how?
    Simply romantic!.....Good luck with the rest of your trip and take it all in!

-Dan
  • Options
    WillieBoyd2WillieBoyd2 Posts: 5,038 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congratulations on your find!

https://www.brianrxm.com
    The Mysterious Egyptian Magic Coin
    Coins in Movies
    Coins on Television

• Options
    mnemtsas2mnemtsas2 Posts: 745 ✭✭✭
    Congrats LordM!
    Successful trades with Syracusian, DeiGratia, LordM, WWW, theboz11, CCC2010, Hyperion, ajaan, wybrit, Dennis88 and many others.
  • Options
    numismatic value be damned, that would be amazing to find a coin from the 12 or 1300s as your first dug coin out there, wow
    =Recipient of the coveted "You Suck" award 4/28/2014=
  • Options
    SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Canna imagine what the loss of a penny back in Edward I's day must have been like - well no eating tonight - a losing penny was like losing a $50 bill now.
    In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • Options
    StorkStork Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What an excellent first coin find! I was a wee bit off with my 1965 guess image. Happily so. Later you can tell us which of the coins is yours. It sounds like a fabulous experience for you and I'm super glad to be able to read about it. Do you get to keep finds or only after a museum has 'declined' the find? Just curious about that part.

Cathy

• Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,539 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's pretty awesome, Rob! Congrats on the find - sounds like quite an experience.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Super find LordM.... congratulations.... first of many I hope.... Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    trozautrozau Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for sharing your experience with the hunt. Congratulations on the finds! image
    trozau (troy ounce gold)
  • Options
    YQQYQQ Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congrats on your find.

perhaps with the next detector alarm you guys could find an old beer tab, still alive, still connected to a long forgotten underground beer pipe........limageimage
    Today is the first day of the rest of my life
  • Options
    guitarwesguitarwes Posts: 9,240 ✭✭✭
    Great read Rob and great find. Coincidentally, I got my first ever hammered English Silver Penny this week also..............but I dug it out of my PO Box instead of some old dirt in England like you did. Can't wait to see a pic of yours.

I suppose it's pretty close to 5 in the afternoon over there right now as I type (it's almost 12 on the US east coast) and you've been swinging and getting your fingers dirty all day. Hope today's finds were great as is the rest of your trip. We're all anxiously awaiting to see the videos.
    @ Elite CNC Routing & Woodworks on Facebook. Check out my work.
    Too many positive BST transactions with too many members to list.
  • Options
    One greenie, another hammie, a copper ring, and some buttons today.

More mud on me and my boots this morning than all tbe soldiers in the trenches of WW1 had to endure.

It would have sucked really bad if not for the finds.

The greenie had a readable date so someone won the YYouTube contest. I don't think many entered.

• Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,124 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What hammie? or are you referring to a sandwich?

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    This hammie.

It also made the club website.

<< <i>1641-3 Charles 1st hammered silver penny - mintmark 2 dots >>

imageimage

This is my Eddie.

<< <i>1300-1310 Edward Ist hammered silver penny - Closed E, outcurving h- Cross pattee - Crown 1 - Type 10 cf3 >>

imageimage

This morning's greenie was a 1750 George II farthing.

• Options
    bronzematbronzemat Posts: 2,605 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>This hammie.

It also made the club website.

<< <i>1641-3 Charles 1st hammered silver penny - mintmark 2 dots >>

imageimage

This is my Eddie.

<< <i>1300-1310 Edward Ist hammered silver penny - Closed E, outcurving h- Cross pattee - Crown 1 - Type 10 cf3 >>

imageimage

This morning's greenie was a 1750 George II farthing. >>

Cool finds so far image
  • Options
    I don't know a thing about medieval coinage but your first find looks cool as hell
    =Recipient of the coveted "You Suck" award 4/28/2014=
  • Options
    So who guessed closest to 1300-10?

That's our winner.

And closest to 1750 won the Youtube contest.

Back to the abbey site tomorrow. The place that skunked me so badly on Day one.

But I was really tited that day.

• Options
    So who guessed closest to 1300-10?

That's our winner.

And closest to 1750 won the Youtube contest.

Back to the abbey site tomorrow. The place that skunked me so badly on Day one.

But I was really tited that day.

• Options
    JCMhoustonJCMhouston Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭
    Let's see, I had Henry III so that's 1216-72. Who's closer?

Way to go lordM, it sounds you are having a great time.
  • Options
    I wouldn't worry too about how much you find, it looks like you already have a couple of great ones to remember the trip by.

Best of luck for the rest of the week!