Home U.S. Coin Forum

The Missouri Cabinet

Grab a snack and a nice bottle of wine and ENJOY!

Catalog
Numismatic Photographer for Superior/Ira & Larry Goldberg since 1990, Photographer of THE TYRANT COLLECTION one of the greatest collection ever formed.

Comments

• keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,452 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow! I can't afford too many of those!
    "If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • magikbillymagikbilly Posts: 6,780
    Thanks for the post. VERY nice photography. Now I want some chocolate. image
    It is interesting to note that the discrepancies between the PC grades and the catalog text grades. Some are rather large.

Eric
  • jayPemjayPem Posts: 4,018 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gorgeous !
    I like flipping through on the pad !
  • raysrays Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The entire collection was on display at Long Beach a couple of weeks ago. It was amazing to see multiple eighteenth century half cents with mint red on them, all in one place.
    This collection has the possibility of surpassing the proceeds of Walter Husak's 2008 sale of his large cents, which brought $10.7M.

I see three potential million dollar coins:
    1794 C-7 PCGS MS67RB
    1796 C-1 no pole PCGS MS65BN
    1796 C-2 with pole PCGS MS65+RB
  • MidLifeCrisisMidLifeCrisis Posts: 10,504 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>The entire collection was on display at Long Beach a couple of weeks ago. It was amazing to see multiple eighteenth century half cents with mint red on them, all in one place.
    This collection has the possibility of surpassing the proceeds of Walter Husak's 2008 sale of his large cents, which brought $10.7M. >>

I don't think half cents enjoy the same level of popularity and competitiveness as large cents so I would be surprised to see the sale surpass Husak's.

Still a wonderful collection! Lots of eye candy.
  • CatbertCatbert Posts: 6,549 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you love copper, this is like a crack hit to the brain......image
    "Got a flaming heart, can't get my fill"
  • LochNESSLochNESS Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭
    Coins don't start until page 15 ... I almost gave up clicking before I saw 'em image
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

• FredWeinbergFredWeinberg Posts: 5,714 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lot #20 is the 1794 Half Cent, High Relief Head,
    that I bought in Europe in 1975.

Paid about $1,000 for it, along with a circ.
    1916 Standing Liberty Quarter; brought it
    back to the States, sold it to Julian for
    about $30K about 6-8 months later, after
    I researched it.

When I get some time tomorrow or next week,
    I'll relate the story of purchasing it in Switzerland,
    if anyone's interested.

It's the first time it's been offered at a Public Auction,
    and I've been told it probably will break records.
    Retired Collector & Dealer in Major Mint Error Coins & Currency since the 1960's.Co-Author of Whitman's "100 Greatest U.S. Mint Error Coins", and the Error Coin Encyclopedia, Vols., III & IV. Retired Authenticator for Major Mint Errors
    for PCGS. A 49+-Year PNG Member...A full numismatist since 1972, retired in 2022

<< <i>I don't think half cents enjoy the same level of popularity and competitiveness as large cents so I would be surprised to see the sale surpass Husak's. >>

I would have doubts about such a statement.
  • MidLifeCrisisMidLifeCrisis Posts: 10,504 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Lot #20 is the 1794 Half Cent, High Relief Head,
    that I bought in Europe in 1975.

Paid about $1,000 for it, along with a circ.
    1916 Standing Liberty Quarter; brought it
    back to the States, sold it to Julian for
    about $30K about 6-8 months later, after
    I researched it.

When I get some time tomorrow or next week,
    I'll relate the story of purchasing it in Switzerland,
    if anyone's interested.

It's the first time it's been offered at a Public Auction,
    and I've been told it probably will break records. >>

I'm interested in hearing more of this story.
  • coinsarefuncoinsarefun Posts: 21,663 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There are some beautiful copper pieces in that collection with exquisite soft, round cheeks for a girl to be jealous over!!!

• PhotoguyPhotoguy Posts: 118 ✭✭✭
    Please do Fred. If its a reasonable space I could add it to the online version.

Your welcome guys.
    LE
    Numismatic Photographer for Superior/Ira & Larry Goldberg since 1990, Photographer of THE TYRANT COLLECTION one of the greatest collection ever formed.
  • illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Was really awesome to see these on display at Long Beach... the coins just seemed to keep going on forever and ALL of them were nice! But yeah, to see coins from the 1700s in ultra high grades with red on them was really cool. Here's a couple of poor photos from my Long Beach Show report...

• goldengolden Posts: 9,018 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Holy crap!
  • tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,146 ✭✭✭✭✭
    the coins just seemed to keep going on forever...

The exact thought that went through my brain when near the back of the catalog. image
  • ajmanajman Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭
    Amazing! Thank you for providing the link.
    Beer is Proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy -Benjamin Franklin-
  • ColonelJessupColonelJessup Posts: 6,442 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was at a Matisse exhibit at MOMA with 75 pieces together. I was at Musee d'Orsay with five Monets on two walls and four Van Goghs fifteen steps away.

How many hot fudge sundaes before you OD?

Take a step back.... breathe..... Can't do it all in one trip. Ten trips maybe. Furious eye-candy and strong cataloguing.

Ten trips.... No one will ever see a group of Half Cents this fine, let alone this complete, ever again. Ever.

I have plans to bid by phone on the floor with a private agent, by phone with an agent from Goldbergs, and on the Internet.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - Geo. Orwell

• << <i>How many hot fudge sundaes before you OD >>

Hey Col. J,

for me - about 35. I saw IIRC 34 or 35 Vermeers in about an hour and a half and it blew my mind. With him, each was a major or minor gem, maybe 85% gem. I knew most all of the paintings intimately from X-radiography and other things published in the journals, but most all I had never seen before. The 1987 Van Gogh show was true overload with some 80 or 100 canvasses and maybe 50 drawings, even Liz's little painting from Burton. Same with the Homer show in DC - just too much. In each case I spent my time on the ones I knew I'd not see again anytime soon - the private stuff and things like the double square Van Gogh from June/July 1890 (especially the two Daubigny's Garden - one painted on a red striped tea towel (from...the Hiroshima Gallery!)) and Wheat Field with Crows etc.). The Homer show I was able to catch in DC, NY and, IIRC, Boston so I had more time. But not like Vermeer, who produced almost nothing weak. I think they had all but 1 or 2 - even the 2 little wooden panels!

Best wishes with the copper auction!

Eric
    Damn, Eric ! You have one of the most interestingly well-informed OCD's around image
    "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - Geo. Orwell

• << <i>Damn, Eric ! You have one of the most interestingly well-informed OCD's around image >>

I toned it down! image

Eric image
  • ElcontadorElcontador Posts: 7,412 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I actually have one specific Half Cent in the same grade as the one in the Cabinet. I saw them all at Long Beach. This is the first time I've seen an 1849 in MS 65 in person. You see an 1857 from time to time, but no the 1849.
    "Vou invadir o Nordeste,
    "Seu cabra da peste,
    "Sou Mangueira......."
  • MacCrimmonMacCrimmon Posts: 7,051 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I was at a Matisse exhibit at MOMA with 75 pieces together. I was at Musee d'Orsay with five Monets on two walls and four Van Goghs fifteen steps away.

How many hot fudge sundaes before you OD?

Take a step back.... breathe..... Can't do it all in one trip. Ten trips maybe. Furious eye-candy and strong cataloguing.

Ten trips.... No one will ever see a group of Half Cents this fine, let alone this complete, ever again. Ever.

I have plans to bid by phone on the floor with a private agent, by phone with an agent from Goldbergs, and on the Internet. >>

CJ, You left out the potted palm.
  • magikbillymagikbilly Posts: 6,780

<< <i>Damn, Eric ! You have one of the most interestingly well-informed OCD's around image >>

Thanks Col. J image
    One day I too hope to be able to "handle the truth!" image

Eric
  • TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,794 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is going to be better than the NBA finals, the World Series, and SuperBowl combined.
    Who is the Golden Bear ? He's the KING of golf. Lest we forget the real gentlemen of sport.

ooops.. wrong thread. Sorry image
  • BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,427 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>The entire collection was on display at Long Beach a couple of weeks ago. It was amazing to see multiple eighteenth century half cents with mint red on them, all in one place.
    This collection has the possibility of surpassing the proceeds of Walter Husak's 2008 sale of his large cents, which brought $10.7M. >>

I don't think half cents enjoy the same level of popularity and competitiveness as large cents so I would be surprised to see the sale surpass Husak's.

Still a wonderful collection! Lots of eye candy. >>

This will be a once in a lifetime opportunity for many half cent collectors, so I would not put book on that one. Think of the greatest large cent collection (Nafsker (sp)) of all time sold in one sale and then translate it to half cents.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • SonorandesertratSonorandesertrat Posts: 5,695 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "This will be a once in a lifetime opportunity for many half cent collectors, so I would not put book on that one. Think of the greatest large cent collection (Ted Naftzger) of all time sold in one sale and then translate it to half cents."

Exactly. MLC is correct in stating that half cents are not as popular as large cents, but this sale will be one to be remembered because of the large number of high-quality pieces. It will set records.
    Member: EAC, NBS, C4, CWTS, ANA

RMR: 'Wer, wenn ich schriee, hörte mich denn aus der Engel Ordnungen?'

CJ: 'No one!' [Ain't no angels in the coin biz]
  • halfcentmanhalfcentman Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭
    The importance of this sale cannot be overestimated as far as Half Cent collectors is concerned. It will shatter the Husak sale proceeds.

The coins in this sale represent an interesting dynamic with regards to all sort of collectors: Type, date, Red Book, and die variety, and even die state to some extent.

What makes it even better is that I personally know Tett, and to say that he is a nice guy is an understatement. The fact that this collection is being shown at Rosemont in August is 95% of the reason why I am going to the ANA. This from a man who does not like to travel.
  • yosclimberyosclimber Posts: 4,572 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow. Once in a lifetime to see all the finest together!
    Great presentation.
    Thanks, for creating and sharing this, LE.
    And so cool that Fred is offering his story, and it may be added to this.
  • Tallpaul000Tallpaul000 Posts: 193 ✭✭
    I would have paid to read that story in a coin mag. Awesome experience, thx!!!
  • You just never know, do you?

Amazing.
    Let's try not to get upset.
    Glad you liked it......

I remembered that story, in that detail,
    since that day!
    Retired Collector & Dealer in Major Mint Error Coins & Currency since the 1960's.Co-Author of Whitman's "100 Greatest U.S. Mint Error Coins", and the Error Coin Encyclopedia, Vols., III & IV. Retired Authenticator for Major Mint Errors
    for PCGS. A 49+-Year PNG Member...A full numismatist since 1972, retired in 2022
    Great Story Fred,
    Would you mind if I reproduced it in its entirety on the web version of our catalog?

Lyle
  • TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,794 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So nice of you to take the time out of your day to tell this story, Fred. It's awesome to read it and even greater to dream about.
  • yosclimberyosclimber Posts: 4,572 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great story, Fred - thanks for sharing!
    It's the unexpected amazing finds like this which "keep the dream alive".
  • OldEastsideOldEastside Posts: 4,602 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That is a cool story Fred, just one question, What did ya get for the quarterimage

Steve
    Promote the Hobby
    It will be very interesting to see what the collection brings in toto. This sale ranks as the most important for half cent collectors in at least a generation, and rivals other important sales such as:

Naftzger
    Holmes
    Norweb
    Eliasberg
    Ford

I wouldn't be surprised to see a total in excess of $20M.
  • BustHalfBrianBustHalfBrian Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭
    Wow, makes me wish I collected copper image

Never too late to start, right? image I guess we'll see when the auction rolls around...
    Lurking and learning since 2010. Full-time professional numismatist.
  • rxerrxer Posts: 280 ✭✭
    I already own a couple of Tett's old cast offs. I would gladly pay well over book to add a couple more.Just having a piece of this fantastic collection would make me and most half cent collectors very happy people. I predict big bucks on all pieces just for the name.
    palmer
  • cmerlo1cmerlo1 Posts: 7,890 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like the double-denomination error- very cool.
    You Suck! Awarded 6/2008- 1901-O Micro O Morgan, 8/2008- 1878 VAM-123 Morgan, 9/2022 1888-O VAM-1B3 H8 Morgan | Senior Regional Representative- ANACS Coin Grading. Posted opinions on coins are my own, and are not an official ANACS opinion.
  • LochNESSLochNESS Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭
    Agreed, not sure I've ever seen a double-denom error on any type before.
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

Its been brought to my attention that lot 166 is missing the reverse photo. I will get this corrected for you guys this week.
    Ridiculous Prices Realized pseudo-analysis - A breakdown of lots by estimates and some thoughts.
    chump change
    price ........ lots ........... value
    ..5K .......... 64 ............ 320K
    10K .......... 32 ............ 320K
    15K .......... 22 ............ 330K
    20K .......... 10 ............ 200K
    25K .......... 13 ............ 325K
    30K ............ 8 ............ 240K
    35K ............ 4 ............ 140K
    40K ............ 4 ............ 160K
    45K ............ 3 ............ 135K
    50K ........... 10 ........... 500K
    75K ............ 7 ............ 525K
    total . GBEst ............. 3145K ................................... MyEst... .. 4250K

+big wood
    100K .......... 3 ............ 300K
    125K .......... 3 ............ 375K
    150K........... 1 ............ 150K
    175K .......... 1 ............ 175K
    200K .......... 2 ............ 400K
    250K .......... 1 ............ 250K
    300K .......... 1 ............ 300K
    500K .......... 1 ............ 500K
    650K .......... 1 ............ 650K
    750K .......... 1 ............ 750K
    total . GBEst ............. 3850K ................................... MyEst ...... 7000K
    new total . GBEst ...... 6995K ..... +15% .................................... 8000K
    my new total .......... 11250K ...... +15% .................. MyEst ..... 11250K +15% = 12938K all in

Let's call it $13M.. my estimate of prices realized

so take the under at $11.5M and I'll give you 2/1 odds image

Feel free to check my arithmetic. I'll give you 2/1 odds there's a mistake somewhere in there image

Oh, did I mention the coin are flippin' glorious?
    Lyle - good morning.

I just saw your post from Friday afternoon,
    and yes, I'd be honored to have you put
    my story with the coin for your website.....

Glad to know you thought it worthy!

Fred
  • originalisbestoriginalisbest Posts: 5,911 ✭✭✭✭
    Amazing, mind-blowing coins. And Fred, that's a great story! Thank you for sharing it. image
  • astroratastrorat Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    While working at the ANA I had the wonderful privilege of working with Tett; a true gentleman who is generous and gracious. I was teaching an errors class for the Summer Seminar and looking for examples to share with the students. What was different this time was that connected with Tett. Although I did not know him (I later heard he is very private) he loaned the ANA some of his stunning half cent errors ... jaw dropping, where did these come from, you have got to be kidding me, errors. The coins were a huge hit in the class and when the guys from the copper class heard about them ... they all had "Little Sister" seizures.

Several months later I am puttering around the museum and am approached by a polite, somewhat older gentleman who quietly engages me in conversation. A few moments later with a big smile (and much to my surprise) Tett introduces himself. It was an honor to meet him in person. He has nice coins, for sure, but more importantly, he is a kind soul who enjoys sharing his passion for half cents.
    Numismatist Ordinaire
    See http://www.doubledimes.com for a free online reference for US twenty-cent pieces
  • coinpicturescoinpictures Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭
    YOIKES! Makes me want to throw out my pitiful collection in shame. image

*sigh*
    Upon the request of Paul Gilkes of Coin World,
    and others, I've been trying to find a copy of
    our Brochure on the 1794 High Relief Half Cent.

Although I can't find the actual brochure, I did
    find two short articles that were in CW and NN,
    and they were dated in June/July of 1977.

I have edited my original and first post on this
    thread to reflect the year 1977.

I was off by 2 years....my apologies to all !
    Thanks again Fred!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file