Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

1986 Panini Supersport Mike Tyson PSA 10 that was on EBAY...Major Update

I wanted this card bad and someone beat me to the punch. I was bidding on it and it was ended early.

The card was sold for $2,000.

This was a perfect 50/50 centered and just an amazing looking example.

Here is the link to this listing.

PSA 10 Mike Tyson

Comments

• DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    What were you willing to pay?
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I emailed the seller and said please don't tell me you sold this I was planning to bid to win.

He naturally said yes but asked how much I was willing to bid and he would tell me if I would have won.

I said $2,000. I am not sure if I would have went that high but I threw out that number.

A few minutes later he emails back and said that was what it sold for.

I have five PSA 9's and they are to risky to crack but I may consider getting a few reviewed.

• I've been searching for a PSA 8 one (best I can afford) and was following that PSA 10. I was curious to see how high it would go. Can't believe he ended the auction.
  • SumoMenkoManSumoMenkoMan Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭
    I wish sellers would get dinged for ending auctions early. Just like retracting a bid, sellers should have something on their record that shows how many times they've ended auctions early. Sweet card though!
  • halosfanhalosfan Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭✭
    hoarder! image
    Looking for a Glen Rice Inkredible and Alex Rodriguez cards
  • Big80sBig80s Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭
    I was bidding on this card too. It was as nice an example as I've seen. Now that the seller in Cypress has dried up, I think these cards might start hitting an all time high. $2K is the most I've heard of anyone paying for a Tyson rookie.
    Let's Rip It: PackGeek.com
    Jeff
  • halosfanhalosfan Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭✭
    I would still like a good example one day
    Looking for a Glen Rice Inkredible and Alex Rodriguez cards
    It is always interesting to go back and read old threads and see what you and others had to say.

Here is the Tyson thread when I first got a strong raw example.

Tyson thread
    I'm still surprised none of the cards you subbed pulled a 10. You've got a great eye, as is evident with your boxing sets.
    Jeff
  • Anyone ever want to sell a PSA 8, let me know.
  • Nice card. I realize the Panini is "the" RC, but I still prefer the action shot on the Question of Sport. For anyone who isn't a die-hard boxing card fan and just wants a great looking Tyson card, that's where I'd go for far less $$.
  • ReggieClevelandReggieCleveland Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like the card aesthetically but I'd rather own a Tyson card that didn't have its rarity tied to condition.
  • mikliamiklia Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I like the card aesthetically but I'd rather own a Tyson card that didn't have its rarity tied to condition. >>

1971 Topps BB and the SP Jeter RC would like a word with you....image

Big money for this card is great news for boxing cards in general. If it continues to jump (and I think it will), there might be a big trickle down effect to other boxing HOF RCs from the period as collectors look for comparative value. The Frazier, Hagler, Holmes, Spinks, Foreman, Duran and other Panini RCs from the 70s and 80s are still much cheaper - and tougher to find - than the Tyson.

The Panini Mike Tyson is much more difficult to find then the Question of Sport.

There are seven active listings on EBAY for the Question of Sport and only one for Panini. Many times this ratio is even higher.

Many of the older boxing cards that are important are produced by Panini and I think this adds to the appeal of the Tyson sticker.

Collectively the market determines which one is the card to own and that is just how it goes.

There is no doubt that both are great cards to own but the Panini is king.

• vladguerrerovladguerrero Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Nice card. I realize the Panini is "the" RC, but I still prefer the action shot on the Question of Sport. For anyone who isn't a die-hard boxing card fan and just wants a great looking Tyson card, that's where I'd go for far less $$. >>

You also have the card vs sticker argument, the history/popularity of UK cards vs other european countries in North America, and PSA doesnt consider Panini stickers as Rookies. The Panini is a nice item though.
    all else being equal, the panini looks a lot more like a card than the QS.
    My apologies to anyone that took offense to my comment. I certainly wasn't trying to bash the card. You won't find a bigger proponent of "collect what you like" than me.

Tyson has a few issues from South America from the 80s with only a couple copies known to exist. Personally, that's the kind of stuff that piques my interest. But I agree that the Panini Tyson is good for the boxing card hobby.
    none taken, Reggie. QS/panini has been a long discussion here, was just mentioning why i think the panini is more desirable. would love to know a bit more about those S. Amer cards though!
    I am not sure who took offense to your comments Reggie because I certainly didn't.

We have debated if you will the merits of each on here a number of times and it is all good spirited discussion.

Anything you have to add please do.
    When I get a few more copies I'll be happy to post about them. image
    Thanks guys. Just wanted to make sure no one thought I was bashing it.
  • eagles33eagles33 Posts: 2,676 ✭✭✭

<< <i>
    Tyson has a few issues from South America from the 80s with only a couple copies known to exist. Personally, that's the kind of stuff that piques my interest. But I agree that the Panini Tyson is good for the boxing card hobby. >>

What year are the South American cards from? I'm always interested in this sort of thing.
    Scans of most of my Misc rookies can be found <a target=new class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://forums.collectors.com/m...y&keyword1=Non%20major">here
    The PSA 10 Question of Sport sold for $305.

• << <i>The Panini Mike Tyson is much more difficult to find then the Question of Sport.

There are seven active listings on EBAY for the Question of Sport and only one for Panini. Many times this ratio is even higher.

Many of the older boxing cards that are important are produced by Panini and I think this adds to the appeal of the Tyson sticker.

Collectively the market determines which one is the card to own and that is just how it goes.

There is no doubt that both are great cards to own but the Panini is king. >>

I agree. My comment was only speaking to the fact that the Question of Sport is aesthetically a better looking card. Not from an investment perspective and having nothing to do with scarcity, but for folks who just want a great looking early Tyson card without spending a ton of money, the QofS is a great option, RC or not.
    There are two 1986 Panini Mike Tyson rookie cards on EBAY and I like the description that Brent used.

The premier Tyson RC card in the hobby.

The market has spoken and this is the RC.

The signed BGS 9.5 is killer, but I hate that Tyson signed over his own eye!
    Jeff
    That is pretty sick.

I guess that makes three cards on EBAY right now. Two with PWCC.

Brent has some awesome cards listed!
    May I also add that the signed rookie is the UK version - I would kill to have that (without the auto eye-sore).
    Jeff
  • DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭

<< <i>The signed BGS 9.5 is killer, but I hate that Tyson signed over his own eye! >>

The guy got a tattoo on his face! What do you expect? LOL
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.

<< <i>

<< <i>The signed BGS 9.5 is killer, but I hate that Tyson signed over his own eye! >>

The guy got a tattoo on his face! What do you expect? LOL >>

Solid point, Doug.
    Jeff
    And a UK version has now hit the bay:

PSA 10 UK Tyson

this ugly thing is filled with fisheyes, print dots, in a frosted case, dinged corners, and bad seller. i'd encourage everyone to stay far far away...

what's that? I'm the high bidder? that's totally unrelated information. image
    Not that I'm biased, but I can direct you to at least one BGS 9.5 with better centering. Funny how this happens to pop up when another had already been listed for several days in an auction. Coincidence - I think not.
    Jeff
  • What's the long term value on this Tyson card? How much supply of the 86 Panini is still out there? With the increase in popularity, will this card be somewhat common in high grades?
  • KNAPPKNAPP Posts: 654 ✭✭✭
    Tyson was as big as Jordan in the 1980's. The Tyson 1986 Panini numbers don't even compare to the Jordan Fleer rookie. PSA population report: Jordan: 13,347 Tyson: 47 Unless someone is hoarding 13,300 Tyson rookies, you should be alright.
    the KNAPP collection - specializing in boxing and wrestling
    Always looking to buy or trade for Andre the Giant autographs
    psacard.com/psasetregistry/non-sports/famous-personage/andre-giant-master-set/alltimeset/180400

I don't think any of us can actually forecast the long term value of this card at this point. It has come a long way but is still gaining popularity.

There is really no way to gauge how much of this product is still out there unopened. There has only been one seller to supply the US that I am aware of and I think he is tapped out.

I don't see this card/sticker ever becoming common in high grade. There are 12 PSA 9's at this point and 5 PSA 10's when you add up the one's graded with 1985, 1986 and the UK variation.

I personally own 5 of the PSA 9's and there is a major boxing collector who has a Mike Tyson registry set with one of each of the Tyson's 10's so these are not in many hands yet.

I continue to believe this is one of the best sports cards from the 1980's and I do not see this ever becoming cheap again.

<< <i>
    I continue to believe this is one of the best sports cards from the 1980's and I do not see this ever becoming cheap again. >>

I agree. Great insight into this card guys.
    Jeff
    I hope this card gains in popularity. It would be nice to see an increase in boxing card collectors from the younger generation. If this card can be a gateway for some vintage/pre-war/19th century cards that would be great. I'd be very reluctant to look at it as any kind of investment though. Basing any kind of decision in regard to availability or condition sensitivity on PSA's pop report is a slippery slope. The prices being paid for high grade examples is very much out of proportion with many vintage and pre-war cards. If you're a big Tyson fan, this is clearly the card to own. But if you're buying to make a profit I fear you'll be disappointed.
    The reason the prices are out of proportion with older cards like you reference is so was Mike Tyson's ability and popularity.

I certainly view my Tyson collection as an investment. It may not continue to sky rocket like it has from when I got in but it certainly is not going to collapse either.

The pool of available buyers is dramatically larger then the number of cards available and when you have a scenario like that and such a tremendous card the price goes north.

Mike Tyson was easily in the top 5 athletes of the 80's in popularity and this is not something you can go in your closet and dig out. Many collectors did not even know this card existed until just a few years ago and if you are putting together a top notch modern collection a nice example is a must.

I think $500 for a PSA 9 is still reasonably affordable when you consider what you are dealing with here. Time will tell.

• wrestlingcardkingwrestlingcardking Posts: 4,555 ✭✭✭✭
    I think it is a great investment as the supply is limited, and Tyson has immense popularity being in movies and having fans being able to pop in a DVD and watch his devastating knockouts. Tyson is Americana, and although I love 19th century material, the connection to those athletes is not even close to the modern athlete.
    BUYING Frank Gotch T229 Kopec
    Looking to BUY n332 1889 SF Hess cards and high grade cards from 19th century especially. "Once you have wrestled everything else in life is easy" Dan Gable
    Tyson

Here is a Tyson highlight real from Youtube.

I think it is pretty easy to understand why people want to own his cards. This clip pretty much sums up why I got so interested in his stuff.
    I totally understand why people are drawn to Tyson. He was a vicious brawler that cut through his opponents quickly and powerfully, and was quite entertaining. But, in the grand scheme of things, we're not talking about an all-time great. Tyson is probably top-50 all-time pound-for-pound boxer, maybe top-40.

I'm curious to see how much of this set hits the market over the years. It's difficult to say what is left out there with foreign issues. It's routine for previously unknown foreign examples from the 1920s-1950s to surface, it happens all the time.

Does anyone know how to check the SGC pop report (I find it infuriating). I'd be curious to see how many Paninis have been graded by SGC and BGS. There's been 36 graded by PSA.

• CNoteCNote Posts: 2,070
    Watched that clip, and it's weird seeing him in anything but the black trunks. What a beast.
  • wrestlingcardkingwrestlingcardking Posts: 4,555 ✭✭✭✭
    I do not consider him to be an all time great but everyone knows who he is and is drawn to him and for a period of time he absolutely captured the attention of America....and those are the reasons why I think he is a good investment.
    BUYING Frank Gotch T229 Kopec
    Looking to BUY n332 1889 SF Hess cards and high grade cards from 19th century especially. "Once you have wrestled everything else in life is easy" Dan Gable

<< <i>I do not consider him to be an all time great but everyone knows who he is and is drawn to him and for a period of time he absolutely captured the attention of America.... >>

I agree with all of that. If there's one thing for sure, there's no way to predict what will and will not become a hobby darling. I'm thinking there are a lot of people wishing they didn't sell their rare back T206s years ago.

<< <i>

Does anyone know how to check the SGC pop report (I find it infuriating). I'd be curious to see how many Paninis have been graded by SGC and BGS. There's been 36 graded by PSA. >>

SGC's pop report is down at the moment. And I agree - it needs to be revamped badly. I also looked at Beckett's and can't figure theirs out either. Thank you, PSA for making this user-friendly.
    Jeff
    Just a little time left on this one.

PSA 10 UK Tyson
  • CWCW Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭
    Looks like there's good news and bad news.

The good news is bidding is up to $2950 with recent bidding.

The bad news is the high bidder has zero feedback.

$3,550 now.

Red flag anyone?
    Jeff