Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

I lost my shirt, and feel sick.

www.coinswithhistory.com

Comments

• Options
    GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 16,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Linky Dinky Winky

What is cheap? Civil War raw tokens on eBay?....Take your chances!! Sorry if you lost $$$ Cool Copper!!!

• Options

<< <i>I start things out cheap to attract bidders. >>

And this usually attracts cheap bidders. Sometimes, that's all it attracts. Sorry to hear about your poor results.
  • Options
    Dunno. I usually start everything at 4.99, and always end up doing well. This is really a 1st for me. I was hoping this would of least brought $35-$40, it still has mint luster for pete's sake!
    www.coinswithhistory.com
  • Options
    coinsarefuncoinsarefun Posts: 21,683 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I cannot begin to tell you how many CWT's, HTT's and other tokens....not to mention coins that
    I have bought and sold at tremendous losses. Not to make light of what you just sold. Yes it probably should
    have sold for $40-60 but if you do a .99 auction and not a BIN/ make offer that's what can happen.

I have bought $1.200 toned Morgan CC's only to turn around and sell it for $400-600.
    And I am not the first nor the last one who has experienced this.

Again I don't mean to sound negative but that's what happens.

Now on the other hand I have done some absolute killer cherry picks on eBay and you may have done so
    If not you will one dayimage

• Options
    keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,478 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Really cool item from a cool era for that price.
    The Best High Grade Mercury Dime Toners For Sale! + 2 Varieties :smile:
    https://greatcollections.com/Collections/1120/The-Keyman64-Mercury-Dime-Collection/2024-07-07
  • Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Images show the scratches that will keep it a RAW token. I actually would of dropped out at about $10.00 and many in the know never got into the game.
  • Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i> I feel sick to my stomach. >>

if this makes you sick, you have some really hard roads ahead of you in numismatics

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options
    coindeucecoindeuce Posts: 13,473 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You just got a very inexpensive lesson in marketing. Class dismissed. image

"Everything is on its way to somewhere. Everything." - George Malley, Phenomenon
    http://www.americanlegacycoins.com

• Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,891 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

if this makes you sick, you have some really hard roads ahead of you in numismatics
    . >>

Indeed. I'm sure it feels bad but there are much rougher roads ahead.
    Lance.
  • Options
    LotsoLuckLotsoLuck Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

. >>

Boy howdy.

I think if you look through ebays sold you will find it went in the ballpark of what it should have. Even in plastic I doubt it would have fetched much more than $50-$60.
    It is a common cwt, a nice cwt but common.
  • Options
    DoubleEagle59DoubleEagle59 Posts: 8,217 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

. >>

I agree.

What did you lose then, $20 thereabouts?

This is not 'losing one's shirt'.

My last run of Ebay items, I had $850 into them and I received only $700 for them (after fees).

That's the Ebay game.

Sometimes you win and sometimes you lose.

It's only money.
    "Gold is money, and nothing else" (JP Morgan, 1912)

"“Those who sacrifice liberty for security/safety deserve neither.“(Benjamin Franklin)

"I only golf on days that end in 'Y'" (DE59)
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 44,020 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hopes are dashed selling, and lessons are learned.
    Great collections are built buying and lessons are taught.

eBay ! It's a beautiful venue on both ends of the spectrum.
    As often as I say "It sucks, it does". image It's all good.
  • Options
    If 20 bucks makes you sick to your stomach find a new hobby.i ate $170 last coin I sold at a loss.
  • Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,619 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A couple of observations:

It's a very common piece.

It looks messed with on the obverse with someone trying to cover those scratches with
    a dellers darkner or such.

You got a fair price.

bob
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    rheddenrhedden Posts: 6,621 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If it is a common variety of CWT, good luck selling it on eBay. You'll only make money in an auction when multiple bidders compete for a rare or highly desirable item. Forget about it on the common stuff.

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sometimes you get the bull, sometimes you get the horns

MJ
    Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 24,067 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It is a common "patriotic" with problems. It sold for about what is worth.
    All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 31,016 ✭✭✭✭✭
    At least it wasn't FREE shipping!
    theknowitalltroll;
  • Options
    CoinZipCoinZip Posts: 3,253 ✭✭✭
    There are alternatives.

Coin Club Benefit auctions ..... View the Lots

• Options
    Wabbit2313Wabbit2313 Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am out more than that every time my Daughter swipes here PayPal Student card, which is often! I only get sick though if she is buying her boyfriend lunch. Then I get mad. Then I get over it!!
  • Options
    WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

. >>

REALLY--35 bucks is NOTHING. I once lost $850 on one deal.

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• Options
    WTCGWTCG Posts: 8,940 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

. >>

That's pretty much it. You didn't lose your home over this deal, the repo man isn't looking for your car and the Feds didn't seize the rest of your coins so you didn't lose your shirt. Consider this experience a learning experience and move on.

The smartest and most successful dealers in the numismatic world have all lost big money (four, five or even six figures) on deals at one time or another. Best thing to do is to not stew in despair and move on to the next transaction.
    Follow me on Twitter @wtcgroup
    Authorized dealer for PCGS, PCGS Currency, NGC, NCS, PMG, CAC. Member of the PNG, ANA. Member dealer of CoinPlex and CCE/FACTS as "CH5"
  • Options
    tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,159 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I lost $3M when I shut my Seattle company down. But it's all relative
  • Options
    PokermandudePokermandude Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭

<< <i>What did you lose then, $20 thereabouts?

This is not 'losing one's shirt'. >>

I suppose technically $20 is about the value of one's literal shirt image

If a $20 bath is your worst so far on Ebay in 1000+ transactions, you're doing amazingly well.
    http://stores.ebay.ca/Mattscoin - Canadian coins, World Coins, Silver, Gold, Coin lots, Modern Mint Products & Collections
  • Options
    Most of my shirts cost about $20. Some graded Civil War pieces went pretty high tonight. I was justlooking.
    Let's try not to get upset.
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,400 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Man, that stinks. Looks like a decent piece.

Sorry you lost out.

But of course with auctions, that's always a chance one takes. I think you're right to take the chance and start low to attract bidders. It doesn't always work, as we're seeing here, but overall it's a good strategy, I think.

Or at least it's been good for me with world coins. My world coin auctions usually do pretty well and the coins usually end up going back to their home countries, where they have a following.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    RampageRampage Posts: 9,427 ✭✭✭✭
    In terms of percentage, sure you took a hit. But, in reality, if losing $20 to $30 is making you that sick, then you should be doing something else. Consider yourself lucky that it was not a $1,000 coin.

• Options
    DorkGirlDorkGirl Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭
    I've had coins sell for less than face. You did OK compared to that....image
    Becky
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What did you learn?

Rampant currency debasement will be the most important investment trend of this decade, and it will devastate most people.
    - Nick Giambruno
    Buy dollar insurance now, because the policy will cost more as the dollar becomes worth less.

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,656 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I get the feeling that Coinbuyer12 is a young kid that is new to coin dealing and that $20 is a lot of money to him.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,702 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Don't get rough here...Bowers started this stuff as a kid and see where it fit HIM
  • Options
    DoubleEagle59DoubleEagle59 Posts: 8,217 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I get the feeling that Coinbuyer12 is a young kid that is new to coin dealing and that $20 is a lot of money to him. >>

I never thought of that.

If that's the case, I apologise for my comment.

"Gold is money, and nothing else" (JP Morgan, 1912)

"“Those who sacrifice liberty for security/safety deserve neither.“(Benjamin Franklin)

"I only golf on days that end in 'Y'" (DE59)
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,632 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Unfortunately that design (liberty heard obverse, "Army & Navy reverse) appears on many varieties of Civil War tokens. For that reason collector interest is low. A somewhat casual collector like me sort of lumps them all together, and usually one example in your collection with this design is enough. Even the varieties that Fuld claims are rare bring low prices relative to their rarity rating and must be carefully marketed to bring a commensurate price.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    LanLordLanLord Posts: 11,707 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just consider that part of the tuition you pay for a numismatic education
  • Options
    RadioContestKingRadioContestKing Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I get the feeling that Coinbuyer12 is a young kid that is new to coin dealing and that $20 is a lot of money to him. >>

He Has been selling on Ebay since 2003 doesn't appear to be a Y/N. I would also like to know if the OP collects anything? It appears to me he is a seller only. And after 10 years on Ebay selling and to post you lost your shirt and feel sick? Sorry but the OP needs to read more threads instead of starting them...................JMO Enjoy image
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=UayFm2yCHV8
    I used to be famous now I just collect coins.

Link to My Registry Set.

https://pcgs.com/setregistry/quarters/washington-quarters-specialty-sets/washington-quarters-complete-variety-set-circulation-strikes-1932-1964/publishedset/78469

Varieties Are The Spice Of LIFE and Thanks to Those who teach us what to search For.
  • Options
    ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I always run 99 cent auctions Because they do attract buyers.

Sometimes you win other times no. On the whole tho, you should be winning.

I have (20) 99 cent auctions that end today and will put up another 20 tonight.

It is all part of the game.
  • Options
    One of the reasons I stopped buying tokens.........
  • Options
    astroratastrorat Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I've had coins sell for less than face. You did OK compared to that....image >>

image Dang! Sorry to laugh ... but that is pretty funny. image
    Numismatist Ordinaire
    See http://www.doubledimes.com for a free online reference for US twenty-cent pieces
  • Options
    astroratastrorat Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Edited to remove empathy after re-reading that the OP was "sick to his stomach" that he couldn't benefit from ripping his buddy on the CWT.

Karma is a bitçh ... and she has a great memory.
    Numismatist Ordinaire
    See http://www.doubledimes.com for a free online reference for US twenty-cent pieces
  • Options
    Wabbit2313Wabbit2313 Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I lost $3M when I shut my Seattle company down. But it's all relative >>

A guy who can lose 3 MM can afford a little more loss. Go drive up my 1895-S Redfield! image

Which by the way started at 99 cents now that I think about it!!
  • Options
    SonorandesertratSonorandesertrat Posts: 5,695 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Most collectors (dealers too) take a beating now and then.
    Many collectors lose their shirts the minute they buy certain coins---they just don't realize that at the time.
    Member: EAC, NBS, C4, CWTS, ANA

RMR: 'Wer, wenn ich schriee, hörte mich denn aus der Engel Ordnungen?'

CJ: 'No one!' [Ain't no angels in the coin biz]
  • Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,390 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just sell five more of those swap meet 75c Indian cents on eBay at $5. each and you'll be fine...

peacockcoins

• Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,936 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think it is much more likely that CoinBuyer12 has significant history on other coin boards under a different user name.
    Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    sniocsusniocsu Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭
    Just not an example of losing your shirt...
  • Options
    BigDowgieBigDowgie Posts: 1,755 ✭✭✭✭
    I did not like how the story started, " I bought this cheap off a buddy". Sorry you did not make a bunch of money!
  • Options
    lcoopielcoopie Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Better than losing your car or house
    LCoopie = Les
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,632 ✭✭✭✭✭
    All of us have lost money on a coin, medal or token at one time or another. It's part of the hobby. We have also sold things for less than we should have gotten.

The token in question is not a big deal. It's no like you got pennies on the dollar for a really neat item; it is common and kind of boring. I'd just move on.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    I sold a lot of 17 Civil War tokens about a month of so ago for 90 bucks. They were holed and all but in Gettysburg I would have sold the same at 20 each. Lesson learned
  • Options
    LogPotatoLogPotato Posts: 2,176 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

I think it is much more likely that CoinBuyer12 has significant history on other coin boards under a different user name. >>

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file