Home U.S. Coin Forum

Variety Slabbing Service - John Baumgart has a cool attribution service!

BigDowgieBigDowgie Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭✭
edited May 5, 2018 5:04PM in U.S. Coin Forum

I've been meaning to give John a shout-out for the awesome service he provides to us variety collectors. I love this attribution sticker! I love it even more when it has "DISCOVERY COIN" on it! I'm slowly having this attribution sticker added to all the coins in my "All Variety" Set. I have to say he also looks up and verifies the variety, as he debunked a couple varieties in my last submission. This resulted in my post over in the Buy, Sell, Trade Forum!

Pretty cool! Rock on John!

Comments

• DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like a nice service.

• hchcoinhchcoin Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's really cool.

• Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sweet !!! :)

Timbuk3
  • ECHOESECHOES Posts: 2,974 ✭✭✭✭✭

@hchcoin said:
    That's really cool.

+1

~HABE FIDUCIAM IN DOMINO III V VI / III XVI~
    POST NUBILA PHOEBUS / AFTER CLOUDS, SUN
    Love for Music / Collector of Dreck
  • spacehaydukespacehayduke Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭✭✭

I was aware of this and have talked to John about it a shows. Kudos all the way to John. Good guy who wants to help and contribute positively to numismatics.

Best, SH

Successful transactions with-Boosibri,lkeigwin,TomB,Broadstruck,coinsarefun,Type2,jom,ProfLiz, UltraHighRelief,Barndog,EXOJUNKIE,ldhair,fivecents,paesan,Crusty...
  • bolivarshagnastybolivarshagnasty Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭✭✭

Dawg, This is a sticker/attribution service and not a slab service? Correct? Will he sticker even if the attribution is not on the PCGS label?

• panexpoguypanexpoguy Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have seen these in the past and always thought they were well designed and served a good purpose.

• jtlee321jtlee321 Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have not used his service, but I would absolutely trust him on his attributions. He's helped me out on a couple of VAM's. I would and have highly recommended his service.

• CascadeChrisCascadeChris Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yup. He's the best. I have about 25 with those 2 little words in yellow on them ;)

The more you VAM..
  • Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very cool.

Hoard the keys.
  • CascadeChrisCascadeChris Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭✭✭

@bolivarshagnasty said:
    Dawg, This is a sticker/attribution service and not a slab service? Correct? Will he sticker even if the attribution is not on the PCGS label?

Yes. If there is enough public information for him to positively confirm the variety. He also self "slabs" raw coins too as a secondary service for raw coins sent to him. I'm sure he'll be in to explain more.

The more you VAM..
  • ChangeInHistoryChangeInHistory Posts: 3,004 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't collect varieties, but that is a good service to offer. I hope he does well with it.

• BigDowgieBigDowgie Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭✭

@bolivarshagnasty said:

Shag, to add to CascadeChris' reply. He will craft the attribution sticker for any holdered or non-holdered coin. What makes this super special is that the picture is of the actual coin! I've only used this for CONECA varieties, which probably aids quite a bit to confirm the variety. So he confirms the variety, takes a picture of a key feature, types up a short description, adds a few other data points (love that "DISCOVERY COIN" designation.....oh, did I already say this!) and then pops out this perfect little unique attribution sticker. WOW!

• SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭✭✭

At the risk of sounding tacky, I'll ask how much this service costs?

• oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,869 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 4, 2018 8:24PM

@Smudge said:
    At the risk of sounding tacky, I'll ask how much this service costs?

According to the website in the OP, $6 per coin, plus insured shipping.

This service sounds really inviting, especially since PCGS and ATS do not recognize all of the varieties out there in reference books outside their library.

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug...
  • SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very reasonable. Thanks.

• CameonutCameonut Posts: 7,250 ✭✭✭✭✭

I really like the concept of this service. I will be looking thru my stack for coins to submit. I'll also have questions such as "what do you do when NGC mis-attributed a coin on the label?"

“In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." - Thomas Jefferson

My digital cameo album 1950-64 Cameos - take a look!

• BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,841 ✭✭✭✭✭

And he is a great photographer!

• jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,155 ✭✭✭✭✭

Where is your website? Thanks for your service.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • CameonutCameonut Posts: 7,250 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jesbroken said:
    Jim

Contact info is in the OP!

“In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." - Thomas Jefferson

My digital cameo album 1950-64 Cameos - take a look!

• Cool Service

edited May 5, 2018 5:05AM

@Cameonut said:
    I really like the concept of this service. I will be looking thru my stack for coins to submit. I'll also have questions such as "what do you do when NGC mis-attributed a coin on the label?"

I expect he would attribute the coin correctly, if incorrectly attributed by the TPG. The better thing to do is send it back to NGC and get it fixed! Or send it to our host for a new holder! I'm just saying.

edited May 5, 2018 5:22AM

Hey, while we are throwing a shout out to John and his service, if you have a labeled "DISCOVERY COIN", show it off!

PCGS MS64 1971 Jefferson Nickel

• messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,642 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jesbroken said:
    Jim

varslab.com

@Cameonut said:
    ... I'll also have questions such as "what do you do when NGC mis-attributed a coin on the label?"

I'll put my attribution on my label, so you'll end up with a slab that had conflicting attributions, where mine is hopefully the correct one.

Feel free to PM for other details.

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

This looks like an excellent service. I really like the label, makes the issue very clear. I have one or two coins that could benefit from this. Cheers, RickO

• mkman123mkman123 Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭✭

wow no idea it was a forum member that does this! I hope other members give him business, seems like a great service he is providing!!

Successful Buying and Selling transactions with:

Many members on this forum that now it cannot fit in my signature. Please ask for entire list.
  • BeefCurry808BeefCurry808 Posts: 234 ✭✭✭✭

This would be nice for my morgan that has a vam not recognized by the 2 grading services.

@BeefCurry808 said:
    This would be nice for my morgan that has a vam not recognized by the 2 grading services.

Absolutely!

• LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BeefCurry808 said:

not to steer business away from messy but anacs i am pretty sure does all vams as well.

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,625 ✭✭✭✭✭

I really enjoy doing the VAM attribution exercise on all my Morgans and Peace dollars. I've got some worthy of this service. The cudos are encouraging.

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52

• OAKSTAROAKSTAR Posts: 5,679 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for resurrecting this thread @LanceNewmanOCC!

Check it out.

@MWallace

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

• LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

@OAKSTAR said:
    Thanks for resurrecting this thread @LanceNewmanOCC!

np. i think i clicked on a link from the other vss thread.

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• MWallaceMWallace Posts: 3,832 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ianrussell said:
    We just started recognizing VSS in our listings (starting today coincidentally).

The downside is that the coins won't fit in registry sets at PCGS. But upside too, since VSS does many smaller varieties etc.

• Ian

That is great!! I was actually wondering today after seeing this thread if GC accepted them. Good for you @ianrussell

• messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,642 ✭✭✭✭✭

@LanceNewmanOCC said:

@BeefCurry808 said:

not to steer business away from messy but anacs i am pretty sure does all vams as well.

They do. The attributor there (John Roberts) and I have also taken over maintenance of the VAM catalog, so we're in touch frequently.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file