Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Anyone buying the 2018 Mint Silver Proof set on Tuesday?

Comments

• Options
    GluggoGluggo Posts: 3,566 ✭✭✭✭✭

I dont think any special coins in this one will this be cheaper in a few months on Ebay? What is the limit? If its unlimited will they flood the market or have a poor sell? Lots of questions. No enhanced penny. No Silver Dollar with a P or S mark.

• Options
    kiyotekiyote Posts: 5,568 ✭✭✭✭✭

I will. This is the set I bike to crack open for my Dansco album.

"I'll split the atom! I am the fifth dimension! I am the eighth wonder of the world!" -Gef the talking mongoose.
  • Options
    ParadisefoundParadisefound Posts: 8,588 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 23, 2018 8:09PM

@Goldbully
    I am trying to stay within the narrow lane.......Not me. I am still a novice exercising a degree of discipline with my interest ;)
    The sets look so nice though.....

• Options
    scooter25scooter25 Posts: 769 ✭✭✭✭

I get 2....one for my danscos and one to keep. I started doing this in 2013, one year too late it seems :/

• Options
    KudbegudKudbegud Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭✭✭

I subscribe for 1

• Options
    giantsfan20giantsfan20 Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭✭

What are the CDN prices for 2016 and 17 as my CPG Winter 2018 version stops at 2005'
    ;)
    What up with that not showing up to date? Along with ASE$

Ebay as well

Best to wait it out and get it cheaper?

• Options
    Morpheus1967Morpheus1967 Posts: 173 ✭✭✭

Yep, I get one every year. Have them all the way back to 1992.

• Options
    OnastoneOnastone Posts: 3,787 ✭✭✭✭✭

I sure wish they would do the dime and nickel in silver too.

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'll buy one after the fact from my local dealer. When you buy just one, the possibility of getting "a clunker" with spots, scratches and / or fingerprints is more likely. When I was a dealer, I bought a number of them and "built" a good one.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    BigABigA Posts: 2,715 ✭✭✭✭

I have had a sub for a couple for years. I like the silver sets but have no expectations of them increasing in value...more of a collecting thing

• Options
    GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 16,866 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Onastone said:

The dime is silver. A nickle is supposed to be a nickle.

• Options
    jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,326 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't care for the coins at all. I bought mint/proof sets for years from the mint and never really got very many in truly nice condition, coins or holder. So I quit in 2010 and haven't bought any but inhand from sellers. I truly wish someone would start minting the beautiful coins of our past instead of these architectural nightmares. JMO
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Options
    KkathylKkathyl Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 24, 2018 5:18AM

Woke up to a notice about it. Must be on the Auto fill. Prices keep rising. I am looking forward to the reverse proof set coming out later as well.

Best place to buy !
    Bronze Associate member

• Options
    TheRavenTheRaven Posts: 4,143 ✭✭✭✭

One of these will be added to my collection at some point this year.

Collection under construction: VG Barber Quarters & Halves
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I stopped buying these.... or any of the sets. Used to get all three yearly. I should pull them out and see if I have any Kennedy DCAM'S....another project to add to the list. :D Cheers, RickO

• Options
    rln_14rln_14 Posts: 686 ✭✭✭✭

i subscribe for 1

• Options

@Goldbully said:

@Onastone said:

Oops, I knew that. I meant the cent and the nickel. Wouldn't that be quite a set to have those made out of silver too?

• Options
    cecropiamothcecropiamoth Posts: 959 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Onastone said:

@Goldbully said:

@Onastone said:

Oops, I knew that. I meant the cent and the nickel. Wouldn't that be quite a set to have those made out of silver too?

It would be quite a set for sure, but wouldn't make sense. Made of 90% silver, the 5c and 1c would contain more silver than the 10c.

Jeff

• Options
    halfhunterhalfhunter Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭

It would be quite a set for sure, but wouldn't make sense. Made of 90% silver, the 5c and 1c would contain more silver than the 10c.

Jeff

The dollar coin would be cool in silver!

Need the following OBW rolls to complete my 46-64 Roosevelt roll set:
    1947-P & D; 1948-D; 1949-P & S; 1950-D & S; and 1952-S.
    Any help locating any of these OBW rolls would be gratefully appreciated!
  • Options
    BruceSBruceS Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭✭✭

No, it for a while.

eBay ID-bruceshort978
    Successful BST:here and ATS, bumanchu, wdrob, hashtag, KeeNoooo, mikej61, Yonico, Meltdown, BAJJERFAN, Excaliber, lordmarcovan, cucamongacoin, robkool, bradyc, tonedcointrader, mumu, Windycity, astrotrain, tizofthe, overdate, rwyarmch, mkman123, Timbuk3,GBurger717, airplanenut, coinkid855 ,illini420, michaeldixon, Weiss, Morpheus, Deepcoin, Collectorcoins, AUandAG, D.Schwager.
  • Options
    coinpalicecoinpalice Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭✭✭

I haven't bought any in a long time. I sold most of mine when silver was over 40 dollars per ounce. more interested in pre 1933 gold

• Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,305 ✭✭✭✭✭

I was, but may not this year.
    Was doing 3 initially. Then 2. Now, no reason to do them, so was going to do 1, to keep my collection going yearly.
    However, the mint keeps raising prices and I don't feel that value is there any longer. Tired of being treated like a little cash cow by the mint and how they do things.

These won't be rare, so if I change my mind, I can pay a little less, or a little more, at some future point, and add it.

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    TwobitcollectorTwobitcollector Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭✭✭

No

Positive BST Transactions with:
    INYNWHWeTrust-TexasNationals,ajaan,blu62vette
    coinJP, Outhaul ,illini420,MICHAELDIXON, Fade to Black,epcjimi1,19Lyds,SNMAN,JerseyJoe, bigjpst, DMWJR , lordmarcovan, Weiss,Mfriday4962,UtahCoin,Downtown1974,pitboss,RichieURich,Bullsitter,JDsCoins,toyz4geo,jshaulis, mustanggt, SNMAN
  • Options

Made of 90% silver, the 5c and 1c would contain more silver than the 10c.

That's true. That makes me wonder then, why aren't our coins valued by size, shouldn't their sizes have been from smallest to largest-the cent, nickel, then dime? Not the way it is- dime, cent, nickel.???

• Options
    KkathylKkathyl Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 25, 2018 4:39AM

:o

Best place to buy !
    Bronze Associate member

• Options
    David1940David1940 Posts: 64 ✭✭
    edited April 25, 2018 8:08AM

I subscribe for one each year also, starting this year -- shipped yesterday. I wanted to put together a collection of silver proof sets back to at least the mid 90s, and was disappointed to see that the 2012s are so expensive. So I want to get them right when they come out now.

I've bought some older sets on Amazon and eBay with reasonable success. The first one I got had some tarnish on the dollar so I returned it and decided to deal only with local coin shops. Gotta be able to see them first... returning one bought on Amazon was free, but it was still a hassle.

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,017 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Gluggo said:
    I dont think any special coins in this one will this be cheaper in a few months on Ebay? What is the limit? If its unlimited will they flood the market or have a poor sell? Lots of questions. No enhanced penny. No Silver Dollar with a P or S mark.

Price won't drop for closer to a year on eBay as the Mint will keep selling them all year. This set will not be in limited supply as there is no limit. It's just a routine annual year set destined to creep down in price until it reaches bullion levels.

• Options

@Onastone said:

That's true. That makes me wonder then, why aren't our coins valued by size, shouldn't their sizes have been from smallest to largest-the cent, nickel, then dime? Not the way it is- dime, cent, nickel.???

They would be...if they were all made of the same material. That's why the half-dime was exactly half the size of the dime. Originally, intrinsic value equaled face value. That forced them to shrink the cents as the price of copper went up, for example. Half cents were half the size of cents.

Our coinage no longer has intrinsic value=face value, first of all. More importantly, cents are made of zinc, nickels are made of nickel, dimes and quarters are a copper-nickel alloy, etc. Even if there value was equal to the metal value contained, they would not necessarily line up by size and face value.

• Options

@David1940 said:
    I subscribe for one each year also, starting this year -- shipped yesterday. I wanted to put together a collection of silver proof sets back to at least the mid 90s, and was disappointed to see that the 2012s are so expensive. So I want to get them right when they come out now.

I've bought some older sets on Amazon and eBay with reasonable success. The first one I got had some tarnish on the dollar so I returned it and decided to deal only with local coin shops. Gotta be able to see them first... returning one bought on Amazon was free, but it was still a hassle.

2012 is a rare exception. These sets will almost always drop in value from the issue date. You are much better off buying them a year or two later on the secondary market, even factoring in the very rare exception of the 2012

• Options
    AzurescensAzurescens Posts: 2,686 ✭✭✭✭✭

It never made cents to me.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file