Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

Post Your PCGS Toned Lincolns!

Comments

• Options
    RoscoRosco Posts: 253 ✭✭✭✭

Coming up on page 5.....
    You guys are killin it...

Thank you for showing us ALL these BEAUTIES !!!

• Options
    robecrobec Posts: 6,603 ✭✭✭✭✭

@OldIndianNutKase said:
    The toning on this MPL is unreal........

For most of us on this thread toned copper is way more desireable, and rarer than RD copper.

OINK

Looks like a couple of headlights. Can't beat MPL colors.

• Options
    RonyahskiRonyahski Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭✭✭

@OldIndianNutKase said:

@robec said:

@Ronyahski said:
    Just picked this up at Baltimore show today.

I had to. A stunner and much better than the picture.

Beautiful. Looks like the almost twin brother to my old MPL.

I now have Bob's 1915 MPL........ it now resides next to this 1914 MPL....

They look really great together.

OINK

Fabulous . Elegant.

Some refer to overgraded slabs as Coffins. I like to think of them as Happy Coins.
  • Options
    giorgio11giorgio11 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

OK guys, fess up. Which one of you bought the Legend 1909 VDB in 67+RB yesterday? I was in my car and couldn't stop for a while ... and it was gone :'( by then.

Kind regards,

George

VDBCoins.com Our Registry Sets Many successful BSTs; pls ask.
  • Options

@giorgio11 said:
    OK guys, fess up. Which one of you bought the Legend 1909 VDB in 67+RB yesterday? I was in my car and couldn't stop for a while ... and it was gone :'( by then.

Kind regards,

George

I didn’t realize the owner was selling it apart from the group of 50+. Not that it makes a difference on my measly budget.

• Options

@robec well, you know more than I do ... PM me if you can share more, and thank you!

Kind regards,

George

• Options

@giorgio11 said:
    @robec well, you know more than I do ... PM me if you can share more, and thank you!

Kind regards,

George

Me too. I'd be curious to know about this collection.

Some refer to overgraded slabs as Coffins. I like to think of them as Happy Coins.
  • Options
    edited August 30, 2018 9:21AM

Oh. Umm, @Ronyahski maybe @robec is confusing this Mint State coin with the hoard of 1909 VDB matte proofs that so much has been written about?

Kind regards,

George

• Options
    MonsterCoinzMonsterCoinz Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 30, 2018 11:15AM

@giorgio11 said:

I saw one on HA in 68RB.

www.MonsterCoinz.com | My Toned Showcase

Check out my iPhone app SlabReader!
  • Options

@giorgio11 said:
    Oh. Umm, @Ronyahski maybe @robec is confusing this Mint State coin with the hoard of 1909 VDB matte proofs that so much has been written about?

Kind regards,

George

Ah, George just put 67+RB. I assumed he was talking about the PR67+RB VDB. My apologies.

• Options

@JGDcoins said:

Ah, I see some old friends here (in more ways than one)! Welcome @JGDcoins !

Kind regards,

George

• Options
    JGDcoinsJGDcoins Posts: 87 ✭✭✭

@robec said:

@JGDcoins said:
    Did someone say wheat toners!?

I've got your twin to your 1917. I just got my results in from Reconsideration. Trying to get to 65 from 64.........no go, still 64RB.

Mine is a 65 and i was thinking of sending it in for a reconsideration as well. You'res looks like a 65 IMO. I also would like to send my 26s in again. Im 0-1 with that for an upgrade

• Options
    SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,714 ✭✭✭✭✭

This thread is amazing and it keeps on giving.

This thread was started in mid April and has legs. The photos of the toned Lincoln cents, including the "Glamour Shots" True View photos are fantastic.

Someone with the requisite skill set (calling Winged Liberty) could assemble a collage of the True View photos and make it available as wall paper, a screen saver, artwork hanging in an Art Gallery, a designer cell phone case and even a high gloss paint job on a classic US automobile (i.e. a 1961 Cadillac El Dorado).

Once could even create a Toned Lincoln coffee table book that numismatists could proudly display on the coffee table in the living room of their home [assuming of course the wife agrees, or the proud numismatist is single or widowed :) ].

• Options
    RoscoRosco Posts: 253 ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 31, 2018 8:22PM

@SanctionII said:
    This thread is amazing and it keeps on giving.

This thread was started in mid April and has legs. The photos of the toned Lincoln cents, including the "Glamour Shots" True View photos are fantastic.

Someone with the requisite skill set (calling Winged Liberty) could assemble a collage of the True View photos and make it available as wall paper, a screen saver, artwork hanging in an Art Gallery, a designer cell phone case and even a high gloss paint job on a classic US automobile (i.e. a 1961 Cadillac El Dorado).

Once could even create a Toned Lincoln coffee table book that numismatists could proudly display on the coffee table in the living room of their home [assuming of course the wife agrees, or the proud numismatist is single or widowed :) ].

And don't forget some COOL T-shirts .....

• Options

Nice ones @LincolnCentMan !

Kind regards,

George

• Options

@LincolnCentMan said:
    These are on the way back from PCGS right now.

David

David - please tell us the source of these coins, if you know it.

Nice bunch!

• Options
    LincolnCentManLincolnCentMan Posts: 5,347 ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 31, 2018 5:09PM

Ronyahski,

I got them from a dealer at the Round Rock show. I bought all of the sets he had that had nice toners in them. ...the sad thing is he said he "sold the dickens out of them" at the last show he went to. Would that I would have been able to buy those also. Oh well, I'm happy with what I was able to get.

David

Here's a pic of the nicer 53-D pre-submission. All I have is a camera phone...

• Options

@LincolnCentMan said:
    Ronyahski,

I got them from a dealer at the Round Rock show. I bought all of the sets he had that had nice toners in them. ...the sad thing is he said he "sold the dickens out of them" at the last show he went to. Would that I would have been able to buy those also. Oh well, I'm happy with what I was able to get.

David

Here's a pic of the nicer 53-D pre-submission. All I have is a camera phone...

What is that holder a lucite holder, which is what it looks like that 53-D is in? Wondering how they were stored. They don't have mint set toning. Some look like album toning but I've never seen those amazing green colors on those dates.

Excellent find, congrats!

• Options
    LincolnCentManLincolnCentMan Posts: 5,347 ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 31, 2018 7:37PM

They were in clear plastic holders. I’m not sure how many the dealer started with but he had about seven or eight left. He made it out as though he started with quite a lot. I bought the sets just to get the toners as he wasn’t putting a premium on the toned coins. Nor did he care at all for them. I have one of the sets still intacked. I bought it for one of the franklins. After getting it home I decided it didn’t have enough color to merit slabbing. I thought it’d only go 64FBL... a pretty coin, just not worth sending in. Here’s a pic of the remaining set.

Btw, this will be the last I post concerning these coins on this thread. I don’t want to “hijack” the thread.

• Options
    yKnotyKnot Posts: 108 ✭✭✭

@robec said:
    yKnot has what has to be the prettiest 1909-S VDB BN in existence.

Thanks @Robec! That was one of the first toned Lincolns I purchased for my collection. I crossed it from its original NGC holder to PCGS while attending my first big coin show. I submitted it under the walkthrough service (only time I've done that) with the help of Brian Wagner. Here's another toned Lincoln (09-S/Horizontal S) that we submitted at the same show but as a standard submission and it got bumped from a 65 NGC holder to a 66 PCGS. Needless to say, I've been hooked ever since!

• Options
    BeefCurry808BeefCurry808 Posts: 234 ✭✭✭✭

@LincolnCentMan said:
    David

Still waiting for them to grade mine.. Now cracked.

• Options
    SiriusBlackSiriusBlack Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭✭✭

I love looking through this thread! The amount of images crashes my poor lowly iPad all the time but I keep coming back!

Collector of randomness. Photographer at PCGS. Lover of Harry Potter.