Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Hansen watch.

Comments

• Options
    scubafuelscubafuel Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’m enjoying the “nickel” measuring going on in this thread.

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,911 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 10, 2019 8:03AM

I’m impressed by how many “purchase: unknown” coins there are. Perhaps there is something to advertising what you’re collecting.

• Options
    GazesGazes Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Zoins said:
    I’m impress by how many “purchase: unknown” coins there are. Perhaps there is something to advertising what you’re collecting.

honestly I think making his goals and collection public was genius. The prevailing thought was to do this type of thing under the radar. Doing it under the radar certainly helps dealers who are out there at shows, using connections, etc make sales. However, Hansen by going public has cut out some of the need for that by having collectors and dealers go directly to him.

• Options
    jonathanbjonathanb Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭✭✭

Out of idle curiosity... if Hansen completes his collection, and every coin is slabbed by PCGS, and he stacks all of the slabs next to / on top of each other as tightly as possible, how much space would all of those slabs take up?

• Options
    mvs7mvs7 Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jonathanb said:
    Out of idle curiosity... if Hansen completes his collection, and every coin is slabbed by PCGS, and he stacks all of the slabs next to / on top of each other as tightly as possible, how much space would all of those slabs take up?

Without giving too much away, I think Mr. Hansen just needs Captain Marvel's cat.

• Options
    cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,062 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Gazes said:

@Zoins said:
    I’m impress by how many “purchase: unknown” coins there are. Perhaps there is something to advertising what you’re collecting.

honestly I think making his goals and collection public was genius. The prevailing thought was to do this type of thing under the radar. Doing it under the radar certainly helps dealers who are out there at shows, using connections, etc make sales. However, Hansen by going public has cut out some of the need for that by having collectors and dealers go directly to him.

But is also announces to the world what you need, and it sometimes creates a "fresh blood" smell for coin sharks.

• Options
    GazesGazes Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭✭✭

@cameonut2011 said:

@Gazes said:

@Zoins said:

But is also announces to the world what you need, and it sometimes creates a "fresh blood" smell for coin sharks.

Of course and that is why the normal course of action is to go under the radar. However, I think Hansen has done a good job of getting the benefit of having collections come to him but not being desperate when "coin sharks" try to hold him up for coins he needs. Also, I think it helps him that there are so many coins involved there are really just a few that he has to have. Keep in mind also that those coins that he has to have---they are the type of coins that are unique anyway and anyone who wants one will have many of the same issues he has.

• Options

@Gazes said:

@cameonut2011 said:

@Gazes said:

@Zoins said:

Of course and that is why the normal course of action is to go under the radar. However, I think Hansen has done a good job of getting the benefit of having collections come to him but not being desperate when "coin sharks" try to hold him up for coins he needs. Also, I think it helps him that there are so many coins involved there are really just a few that he has to have. Keep in mind also that those coins that he has to have---they are the type of coins that are unique anyway and anyone who wants one will have many of the same issues he has.

Agree this takes a lot of discipline to not get taken hostage. I know collectors who got burned out because of this.

• Options
    CurrinCurrin Posts: 1,517 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Zoins said:

Agree this takes a lot of discipline to not get taken hostage. I know collectors who got burned out because of this.

“Takes a lot of discipline”, I don’t think it could be said better in 20 characters or less. In addition, I believe this to be true to a point that some folks have difficulty understanding. I know we have read in several places that Hansen has passion for the hobby and growing his collection. Passion and discipline don’t naturally go together. Usually one of the two wins out. In the case of JB and DLH, I believe discipline wins most of the time. This is the way JB described their patience: the fact is, if it's offered to us and it's "fair" we'd pursue it. Unfortunately when you reach this far and have such a small number of coins remaining, people get quite aggressive in their pricing. Fortunately, we're in no rush, so we don't have to make hasty decisions. For instance, we've had 2-3 1933 $10s offered recently and we've passed as the prices have been ridiculous. JB wrote this statement in June 2018. They still do not have a 1933 Eagle Specimen. “A lot of discipline”

I do want to make a couple points about the coin sharks by @cameonut2011. He makes a valid point if Hansen’s goal is 100% completion. If that is the goal, then I think at some point he will need to go shark hunting. Maybe we can discuss this more as the week goes on, and I will plan to share my couple points.

My 20th Century Type Set, With Type Variations---started : 9/22/1997 ---- completed : 1/7/2004

My 20th Century Gold Major Design Type Set ---started : 11/17/1997 ---- completed : 1/21/2004
  • Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

@wondercoin said:
    “But here's a question for Mr Currin. The following coin is Mr Hansen's, the 2nd is mine, which of the two coins do you like better?”

Posts like this are really unnecessary. It would be like me posting one of my monster toned killer Washington quarters every time Mr. Currin pictured Mr. Hansen’s recent buy of the same date. Why would I be doing it on a thread entitled “Hansen Watch”.

Just saying.

Wondercoin.

I hate it when someone posts a coin to be discussed or admired and very quickly the thread gets "jammed" with a bunch of other coins. I'd rather see a new discussion: "Mine's better than yours." or "Mine is just as pretty."

I'll answer Leo's question, I'll pick the one without all the contact marks on the steps.

Now, I have a very serious question about "steps" and other designations. I want to hear what others think. Since It does not belong in this thread, I shall start a new discussion soon. o:)

• Options
    shorecollshorecoll Posts: 5,445 ✭✭✭✭✭

Isn't the answer to the shark question to use a 10 year time horizon? There are 1 or 2 sharks that might hold something that long, but I doubt there are many more than that.

ANA-LM, NBS, EAC
  • Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,695 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Srotag said:
    DLH seems to be a businessman who loves to collect coins. As a businessman, he's never overpaid for anything, so why should he start now. In business, if you miss a stock, real estate or business opportunity, there is always another train coming. He may sacrifice completeness, but for a businessman, happiness is achieved by obtaining a fair price (and even more so by getting a great deal) rather than completing a set. Just MHO as a businessman who loves to collect coins--and has many partially completed sets.

to the forums!

• Options

Gazes Challenge – Part 13

“The week of the Eagles”. This week we will cover eight dates for this issue, and for the second week, Hansen loses ground to Eliasberg. Eliasberg competes well this week by winning the eagle challenge with some great specimens. Hansen still maintains a comfortable lead by seven coins. After this week, Hansen leads is (31-24-8). Again this week, most of the Eliasberg coins are estimated grades from his registry set, except for the 1795 “Small Eagle Reverse” Eagle that is presently a PCGS MS65. This POP 3/1 coin is slightly better than Hansen’s PCGS MS63 Specimen. Eliasberg won last week challenge by two coins and this week by one. Can he continue this streak of wins next week?

As stated, we are comparing eight different ten dollars eagles. Eliasberg takes the lead out of the gate with his 1795 “Small Eagle” in MS65. The 1799 Eagle is tied with both having a MS65 specimen. Eliasberg takes a two coin lead with MS62 1838 Eagle. Eliasberg was strong in this competition with five of the eight coins graded between MS62-MS66. Hansen has only three mint states, MS63-MS65. Although with Eliasberg’s strength, Hansen won the next three coins (1854-S, 1870-CC, 1883-O) to take a one coin lead. I may be seeing a trend where Hansen has overall better branch mint coins than Eliasberg. In weeks to come, I will need to do a deeper dive to confirm this observation. Eliasberg wins this week’s challenge with the last two coins. His 1907 “Wire Edge” Eagle is a couple ticks better than Hansen’s. The last coin was won by default due to Hansen not having a 1933 Eagle Specimen.

This week’s challenge was competitive with Eliasberg taking the advantage with the last coin. We have seen several of these challenges with decision being made by the last coin. Hansen lead drops to a seven coin lead with just two weeks to go. Next week’s challenge will compare seven Double Eagles. It will require a total Eliasberg sweep for the challenge to be tied going into the last week. If I recall, Hansen have some really nice Liberty Double Eagles.

Eagle Challenge

1795 Small Eagle Reverse Eagle: First year of issue and one of the first U.S. gold coins.
    Hansen Coin: 1795 Small Eagle Reverse Eagle PCGS MS63 (PCGS POP 4/8)
    Eliasberg Coin: 1795 Small Eagle Reverse Eagle PCGS MS65 (POP 3/1)

1799 Eagle: Only affordable 18th century issue of this denomination.
    Hansen Coin: 1799 Eagle PCGS MS65 (PCGS POP 8/3)
    Eliasberg Coin: 1799 Eagle Est. MS65 (POP 8/3)

1838 Eagle: First year of issue ; scarce, low mintage date.
    Hansen Coin: 1838 Eagle PCGS AU53 (PCGS POP 4/19)
    Eliasberg Coin: 1838 Eagle Est. MS62

1854-S Eagle: Earliest collectible issue from this mint.
    Hansen Coin: 1854-S Eagle PCGS AU58 (PCGS POP 21/6)
    Eliasberg Coin: 1854-S Eagle Est. AU55 (POP 32/27)

1870-CC Eagle: First Carson City issue of this denomination.
    Hansen Coin: 1870-CC Eagle PCGS AU55 (PCGS POP 3/0)
    Eliasberg Coin: 1870-CC Eagle Est. VF30(POP 4/39)

1883-O Eagle: Lowest mintage New Orleans gold coin (800 struck).
    Hansen Coin: 1883-O Eagle PCGS AU58 (PCGS POP 4/1)
    Eliasberg Coin: 1883-O Eagle Est. XF45 (POP 7/9)

1907 Wire Edge Eagle: Popular, low mintage, beautiful issue.
    Hansen Coin: 1907 Wire Edge Eagle PCGS MS65 (PCGS POP 62/32)
    Eliasberg Coin: 1907 Wire Edge Eagle Est. MS66 (PCGS POP 17/8)

1933 Eagle: Only gold coin dated 1933 that is legal to own.
    Hansen Coin: Not in Collection
    Eliasberg Coin: 1933 Eagle Est. MS65 (PCGS POP 5/4)

Gaze Challenge Results
    Half Eagles - Eliasberg (4-3-1)
    Overall - Hansen (31-24-8)

Winning Coins: (Pictures are shown when available)

Eliasberg’s 1795 Small Eagle Reverse Eagle PCGS MS65 (POP 3/1)
    Ex: S.H. Chapman, 1909 - John H. Clapp Collection, sold intact in 1942 - Louis E. Eliasberg, Sr. Collection - Bowers & Ruddy 10/1982:643, $57,200 - Heritage 8/2013:5871, $675,625

Hansen’s 1870-CC Eagle PCGS AU55 (PCGS POP 3/0)

Hansen’s 1883-O Eagle PCGS AU58 (PCGS POP 4/1)
    Ex: Ex: Warren Miller Collection (Heritage, 10/1995), lot 6421; The Admiral Collection (Heritage, February 2018 - Long Beach #1272) – D.L. Hansen Collection

Next Week - Double Eagles:

1850 Double Eagle: First collectible Double Eagle.
    1854-O Double Eagles: One of Rarest Liberty Head double eagle.
    1854-S Double Eagle: Along with similarly dated eagle, first collectible San Francisco coin.
    1856-O Double Eagles: Another Rare Liberty Head double eagle.
    1861-S Paquet Reverse Double Eagle: Popular experimental issue.
    1870-CC Double Eagle: Rarest Carson City gold coin; first CC double eagle.
    1907 High Relief Double Eagle: Popular, beautiful, great story; always in demand.

My 20th Century Type Set, With Type Variations---started : 9/22/1997 ---- completed : 1/7/2004

My 20th Century Gold Major Design Type Set ---started : 11/17/1997 ---- completed : 1/21/2004
  • Options
    tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,147 ✭✭✭✭✭

It’s on eBay.

Look to the right of the eagle on the blow up pics. A bit hazy

• Options

@tradedollarnut said:
    It’s on eBay.

Look to the right of the eagle on the blow up pics. A bit hazy

[https://ebay.com/itm/1795-DRAPED-BUST-10-PCGS-MS-65/173383666639?hash=item285e78cbcf:g:aVgAAOSw4GFbNFnG

This is the link to the eBay listing. I know Hansen has been a repeated customer of this seller, but he already has a pretty nice MS63. I am not confident that he is looking to upgrade his specimen. Would you advise him to upgrade for $1.5M?

Hansen’s 1795 $10 13 Leaves MS63 Certification #18405698, PCGS #8551

• Options
    tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,147 ✭✭✭✭✭

Would you advise him to upgrade for $1.5M?

Not if he likes his 63. If he doesn’t, Legend has a stickered 65 available for the same price as the unstickered coin

• Options

Hansen’s First Three Dollar POP 1/0 Proof

I think we have spoken about Hansen’s Three Dollar Mint State Sets, but this may be this first for the proofs. We know THE THREE DOLLAR PROOF SET is the HOF Bender Set. The set is world class and possibly will always be the finest every assembled. Even with most of the top coins tucked away, Hansen is trying to make a splash in the $3 proof series. There is no other competition in the registry. The HOF set is all that is listed in registry except for Hansen’s unfinished set. I know we could hear about the “Other Guy” as having a set unlisted. All I have to go on is what listed. For Hansen to compete this set will be a big accomplishment no matter where he falls out in the ranking. Here is PCGS comment: Rare! That’s a word that describes the $3 gold series in proof. There’s the possibly unique 1855-S that is graded and authenticated by PCGS. There’s the extremely rare 1854, 1855, 1856, 1857 1858...the highest population of any of these coins is four, and that includes all proof grades! The $3 gold series in proof is rarely collected, due to the price. But what a set it is! Even the most common coin in the series (did we say “common?”) has a population of only 48 coins in Proof 65 or better.

The registry list shows 4 completed sets all-time: HOF Bender, Bass, Garrett, and Trompeter. Eliasberg is listed as being two coins short. Even the Smithsonian National Numismatic Collection is a couple short. The only other set in the registry is Hansen’s set that is now a little over 50% completed. In the last 4-5 months, Hansen has added 4 coins. It also appears he has purchased them one at a time. Has he moved his focus to this series? It will be interesting to see if this set continues to grow.

1877 Three Dollar, PCGS PR66DC CAC

The first PCGS POP 1/0 Three Dollar Proof Specimen is the 1877. The published mintage for this date is 20. The PCGS POP report list 11 certified, with the known specimens listed as 15-18. There are only three certified PCGS DCAM with Hansen’s specimen being the only PR66DC. There are no PR66 or PR66CA certified by PCGS. David Akers: Like the 1872 and 1879, and to a lessor extent the 1874, many specimens of this rare date have been incorrectly catalogued as proofs when they were in fact, proof-like business strikes. (David Akers wrote this in 1976, well before third party grading and authentication made the proof/unc question less of a problem. His monumental books on gold coins used large auction catalog surveys as a starting point for rarity and condition analysis. The problem with miscataloging was obviously something he had to address.) With a proof mintage of only 20 pieces, the total of 27 appearances in "proof" in our 238 catalogue auction survey is clearly out of line, and a careful check of many of the catalogues in which these so-called "proofs" appear proves that the coins were actually business strikes rather than proofs. Proofs are readily distinguishable from business strikes by the location of the date. The date on the proofs is low in the field with the first 7 being just above the bow. On the business strikes, the date is higher in the field and is nearly centered between the bow and the word DOLLARS. On some proofs, there is also a raised dot (a rust spot) on the lower right side of the curl of hair just below Liberty's ear. This same rust spot also appears on all proofs of 1878 and 1879, as well as on all the proofs of 1880 that I have seen, indicating that this obverse die saw considerable service.

The auction record was set in Heritage’s 2013 FUN Signature Auction in Orlando for an 1877 $3 PR65 Ultra Cameo NGC that realized $64,500. Hansen did not purchased his POP 1/0 specimen in an auction. In fact, this is another one of Hansen’s mystery coins that we do not know how he obtained the finest GEM. The coin does not appear in PCGS Condition Census report nor does it have a value placed on it in the PCGS Price Guide.

Provenance: Unknown

In comparing to Eliasberg’s specimen, the registry describes his specimen as 1877 assumed grade PR64CA. Ex. "Detroit" (1894); Clapp Collection (1942). Sold by Bowers & Ruddy Oct '82 price realized $16,500. Lot #303.

1877 Three Dollar, PCGS PR66DC CAC (Gold Shield)
    PCGS Coin #98041 / PCGS Serial #36612707 / POP 1/0
    PCGS Price Guide Value: Unknown

• Options

I am not sure if you follow JB on his weekly blog, “Coins We Love”. In an edition a few weeks ago, he shared a little behind the curtain information with his work and progress with the Hansen Collection. I will not add much; rather let you enjoy the read if you did not see the original on his website. I will do a follow-up post maybe tomorrow or the next day. His number "12 left" is incorrect and I will share that too. Can anyone solve the error (puzzle)? ENJOY!

I’ve also been toying around with the idea to add a comment once a month regarding the Hansen Collection that we’ve been working on for our partner. As many of you know, Dell Loy Hansen set out three years ago to buy one of each standard issue coin ever made by the United States. Dubbed the “Eliasberg Quest” we’re seeking to not only eclipse Louis Eliasberg, the King of Collectors, in quality, but also by adding on an additional 55 years. See, Mr. Eliasberg stopped collecting with the year 1964 and the goal of the Hansen Quest is to go from 1792-Present. So, there are a TON of moderns included.

This week we also had the pleasure of placing two rarities into the collection as well as one of the most elusive modern pieces. The surprisingly rare modern item was a 1993-P Jefferson Nickel. Believe it or not, this was the last nickel needed to complete an entire set of Nickels produced by the United States. Not only was it the last nickel, it was the last non-gold issue needed for the entire set of Copper, Nickel, and Silver coins made from 1792-Present. While this much has probably never been written about a 1993-P Nickel, I thought it was worthwhile…Where did the last coin come from you ask? Well, we’ve searched for one (seriously!) for two years. So, minding the fact that we couldn’t find one that was already certified, we recently bought a group of mint sets from one of our favorite customers, Bill in Paso Robles, California and decided to simply send the coin in for grading. While it wasn’t a very exciting find as the grading cost more than the perceived value of the coin, it was still the last item for this momentous occasion. So, thanks Bill!

To add a bit more color to the background, PCGS states that there are 3,676 coins in this Registry Set compilation to acquire the full U.S. issue set. Well, now we have 12 left. The more notable additions this week were a 1797/5 $5 PCGS AU50 (Large Eagle) and a 1797 $2 ½ PCGS/CAC XF40 (with Stars). It may be asked where does one go when the last 12 are found? Well, I can’t answer that fully, but I’d suggest, there are still a lot of Major Varieties and Proofs to go...and one can always upgrade right?

That being said, we want to congratulate Mr. Hansen on what he’s done so far. It’s been an impressive and exciting journey!

Sincerely,
    John Brush and Your Friends at DLRC

• Options
    specialistspecialist Posts: 956 ✭✭✭✭✭

will he do patterns? come in my world Delloy!!! Eliasberg had them.....Simpson and BC have nearly 2000 different patterns between them (about $85-100 Million worth). Neither is selling..... ;) Delloy did try to get benders $3. I think it was a mistake a deal did not happen.

• Options

Gazes Challenge – Part 14

The challenged is winding down. This is last of the gold and only one week to go. Hansen dominates this week with his Liberty Head Double Eagles. I had thought he would be strong due to his world class and probably the finest set of Liberty Head Double Eagles ever assembled (mostly from The AWA Collection). The collection has great specimens from the first coin to the last. The Hansen collection has the best specimens for all six Liberty Head coins that were compared. Eliasberg did finish by winning the last coin, St. Gaudens 1907 High Relief Double Eagle. The D.L. Hansen Collection has a great specimen, PCGS MS66, but the Eliasberg specimen is the famous MS68. I wish I had a picture of the coin, but could not find one.

This week’s challenge was certainly not as competitive as some that we have seen. As stated before, we have seen several of these challenges with decision being made by the last coin. This was not the case this week. Hansen extends his lead to twelve coins which the largest lead since the challenge started. The record now stands at (37-25-8). With only four coins left in the commemorative series, we can safely conclude the winner of the challenge is the D. L. Hansen Collection. Let’s see which one of these titans of the US Issue Coins takes the last challenge.

Double Eagle Challenge

1850 Double Eagle: First collectible Double Eagle.
    Hansen Coin: 1850 Double Eagle PCGS MS64 (PCGS POP 4/0) Tied Finest
    Eliasberg Coin: 1850 Double Eagle Est. XF40 (POP 143/820)

1854-O Double Eagle: One of Rarest Liberty Head double eagle.
    Hansen Coin: 1854-O Double Eagle PCGS AU58 (PCGS POP 1/0) Finest Known
    Eliasberg Coin: 1854-O Double Eagle Est. AU55 (POP 3/1)

1854-S Double Eagle: Along with similarly dated eagle, first collectible San Francisco coin.
    Hansen Coin: 1854-S Double Eagle PCGS MS65 (PCGS POP 2/0) Tied Finest
    Eliasberg Coin: 1854-S Double Eagle Est. AU58 (POP 11/54)

1856-O Double Eagle: Another Rare Liberty Head double eagle.
    Hansen Coin: 1856-O Double Eagle PCGS AU58+ (PCGS POP 1/0) Finest Known
    Eliasberg Coin: 1856-O Double Eagle Est. AU58 (POP 1/1)

1861-S Paquet Reverse Double Eagle: Popular experimental issue.
    Hansen Coin: 1861-S Paquet Reverse Double Eagle PCGS AU58 (PCGS POP 5/0) Tied Finest
    Eliasberg Coin: 1861-S Paquet Reverse Double Eagle Est. XF40 (POP 10/70)

1870-CC Double Eagle: Rarest Carson City gold coin; first CC double eagle.
    Hansen Coin: 1870-CC Double Eagle PCGS XF45 (PCGS POP 15/6)
    Eliasberg Coin: 1870-CC Double Eagle Est. XF40 (POP 10/21)

1907 High Relief Double Eagle: Popular, beautiful, great story; always in demand.
    Hansen Coin: 1907 High Relief Double Eagle PCGS MS65 (PCGS POP 129/41)
    Eliasberg Coin: 1907 High Relief Double Eagle Est. MS66 (PCGS POP 4/1)

Gaze Challenge Results
    Double Eagles - Hansen (6-1)
    Overall - Hansen (37-25-8)

Winning Coins: (Sorry no picture for Eliasberg’s winner)

Hansen’s 1850 Double Eagle PCGS MS64 (PCGS POP 4/0)

Hansen’s 1854-O Double Eagle PCGS AU58 (PCGS POP 1/0)
    Ex: Akers Plate Coin’ Winters Plate Coin; H. Jeff Browning "Dallas Bank" Collection - Sotheby's/Stack's 10/2001:10, $161,000 - Hansen Collection

Hansen’s 1854-S Double Eagle PCGS MS65 (PCGS POP 2/0)
    Ex: AWA Collection - Hansen Collection

Hansen’s 1856-O Double Eagle PCGS AU58+ (PCGS POP 1/0)
    Ex: Amon G. Carter, Jr. Family Collection - Stack's 1/1984:847, $46,200 - AWA Collection - Hansen Collection

Hansen ‘s 1861-S Paquet Reverse Double Eagle PCGS AU58 (PCGS POP 5/0)
    Ex: Goldbergs 6/2005:1075, $134,550 - Ohringer Family Trust Holdings - Goldbergs 9/2008:1286, $166,750 - AWA Collection - D.L. Hansen Collection (as PCGS AU58 81718842)

Hansen’s 1870-CC Double Eagle PCGS XF45 (PCGS POP 15/60)
    Ex: AWA Collection - Hansen Collection

Next Week (Last) - Commemorative Issues:

1893 Isabella Quarter Dollar: First modern commemorative issue; only commemorative of this denomination (25C).

1900 Lafayette Dollar: First commemorative silver dollar.

1915-S Panama Pacific Exposition Round $50: Largest size and value commemorative issues; low mintage and beautiful designs. 

1915-S Panama Pacific Exposition Octagonal $50's: Largest size and value commemorative issues; low mintage and beautiful designs. 

• Options

@Hemispherical said:

@WaterSport said:
    Is Hansen trying ?? I mean he is working on the variety cents. What about all the other sets with varieties? Is he doing ALL of them also? if so, then he is undertaking the challenge.

WS

Now that is a good question. @Currin may have insight to this?

This question was proposed in a discussion with Cherry Pickers Guide Varieties. I am not that familiar with CPG Varieties, but I can speak for what I have seen with Die Variety and Die State which are listed in the PCGS Registry. The answer, yes, the Hansen Collection is adding many of these varieties. A recent example is the Large Cents Varieties identified by Newcomb.

Hansen has added a dozen of these Large Cents in the last 2-3 weeks. They have come from different sources and I have include the seller and price on the ones that I could find. This first post shows additions to the (1816-1839) set.

Part 1
    Large Cents Die Variety Set by Newcomb, Circulation Strikes (1816-1839)
    57.38% Complete / 58.28 GPA Weighted

1818 1C Newcomb 6, BN AU53BN Certification #36353884, PCGS #36616 POP 1/13
    Sold by Jewelry World and Loan (CA) via eBay for $499.99

1824 1C Newcomb 3, BN MS62BN Certification #26400716, PCGS #36772 POP 2/6 CAC
    Ex: Paradise Collection. Earlier ex McCawley & Grellman Auctions/Superior's sale of April 2004, lot 1009; Tom Reynolds, McCawley & Grellman Auctions/Superior's sale of September 2004, lot 776; Ira and Larry Goldberg's sale of the Dan Holmes Collection, Part II, lot 187; Legend's sale of March 2018, lot 3
    Sold by Stack’s Bowers Spring 2019 Baltimore Auction for $4,080

1828 1C Newcomb 3 Large Narrow Date, BN MS62BN Certification #34401631, PCGS #36880 POP 1/5
    Ex: Paradise Collection. Earlier ex Heritage's sale of February 2018, lot 3091
    Sold by Stack’s Bowers Spring 2019 Baltimore Auction for $1,380

1835 1C N-1 Lg 8 Lg Stars, BN MS63BN Certification #13772066, PCGS #37105 POP 4/1
    Ex: Paradise Collection. Earlier ex Pete Miller; Larry Whitlow, June 17, 2010; Ira and Larry Goldberg's sale of the Gene Heard Collection, June 2017, lot 332
    Sold by Stack’s Bowers Spring 2019 Baltimore Auction for $2,040

• Options
    ranshdowranshdow Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭✭

@specialist said:
    will he do patterns? come in my world Delloy!!! Eliasberg had them.....Simpson and BC have nearly 2000 different patterns between them (about $85-100 Million worth). Neither is selling..... ;) Delloy did try to get benders $3. I think it was a mistake a deal did not happen.

Oooh, Tom Bender's proof 3's were a sight to behold...

• Options

For the most part, built Tom Benders PR 3 set. Its amazing. Delloy tried....

• Options

Dell Loy is doing awesome at what he’s doing. I wonder if anyone else will try?

• Options

Part 2

This set has some really nice new specimens.

Large Cents Die Variety Set by Newcomb, Circulation Strikes (1839-1857)
    77.75% Complete / 61.85 GPA Weighted

1840 1C N-7 Large Date, BN MS64BN CAC Certification #31374743, PCGS #395837 POP 2/0
    EX: Twin Leaf Collection – D.L. Hansen Collection
    Sold by Frisco Mint via eBay for $2,250.00

1841 1C Newcomb 3, BN MS64BN Certification #84766498, PCGS #405800 POP 1/0
    Ex: Paradise Collection. Earlier ex Heritage's sale of February 2018, lot 3093
    Sold by Stack’s Bowers Spring 2019 Baltimore Auction for $1,140

1846 1C N-6 Small Date, RB MS65RB Certification #18900104, PCGS #403869 POP 2/0
    Ex: Willard C. Blaisdell date set, sold privately in 9/1976 (via Del Bland) - R.E. "Ted" Naftzger, Jr. Collection - Goldbergs 9/2009:717, $3,450 - Adam Mervis Large Cent Collection - Heritage 1/2014:2275, $3,525

1846 1C N-25 Tall Date, BN AU55BN Certification #18900128, PCGS #405597 POP 1/0
    EX: R.E. "Ted" Naftzger, Jr. Collection – D.L. Hansen Collection

1848 Large Cent N-34 403920 1C MS65RB CAC POP 2/0

1849 1C Newcomb 20, RB MS64RB Certification #06619432, PCGS #405680 POP 1/0

1854 1C Newcomb 14, RB MS65RB CAC Certification #06619435, PCGS #406101 POP 2/0

1855 1C N-5 Upright 55, BN MS62BN Certification #36582851, PCGS #406156 POP 1/1
    Sold by Inde Et Lib via eBay for $750.00

• Options
    mrearlygoldmrearlygold Posts: 17,858 ✭✭✭

History in the making !

• Options
    edited March 29, 2019 9:46PM

Thanks to heads up by Gazes, I was able to read a very insightful and interesting article written on the D. L. Hansen Collection. The article is specifically pertaining to Liberty Gold and was authored by Doug Winter on Douglas Winter Numismatics blog website. If you have been following Hansen Watch the past year, you too would have observed that several of Hansen’s purchases have been from DWN. Mr. Winter’s opening remarks, The once-in-a-generation US coin collection being assembled by Dell Loy Hansen and David Lawrence Rare Coins….

The Eliasberg Collection was assembled well before my time. All that I can remember is reading about the sale. I am certainly glad Hansen was driven to build this collection during my generation. Who knows.. 50 years from now, one of our grandkids could be on a Hansen Quest!

The most fascinating observation made was the number of opportunities that Hansen missed purchasing a coin that he needed for an upgrade. Mr. Winter actually shows some of the coins that were overlooked. He states: With a collection as vast as this—it includes all regular issue US coins from 1793 to date—it is certain that a small but significant number of issues get overlooked. “Small, but significant”. I can see that. I am not going to provide any additional spoilers, rather provide you the link for your enjoyment. For true Hansen Watchers, this is a must read article.

https://raregoldcoins.com/blog/2019/3/26/gold-coin-rarity-what-we-can-learn-from-the-hansen-collection

• Options

Whitlock Collection of Kennedy Half Dollars

Updates last night indicate that D. L. Hansen purchased the Whitlock Collection of Kennedy Half Dollars. The ATF PCGS collection contained a comprehensive group of Kennedys Half Dollars, including major and minor varieties, and proofs. The only missing coin that I can determine is the ultra-rare 1964 SMS. This was a very nice, massive collection of high end PCGS Kennedys that will remain on the Top 5 PCGS ATF list for many years to come.

Naturally, this places The D. L. Hansen Half Dollars as the ATF. If we look at the basic (1964-Present) set with 106 required coins, Hansen had only one PCGS POP 1/0 coin (1984-D MS67+). He picked up eight additional POP 1/0 coins in the purchased. In addition, there 30 others tied for finest known added from the purchase. There are a couple of other strong registry players in this series, Acadia and Wondercoin.

This purchase also takes Hansen to the top of the ranking in the comprehensive complete variety set of 263 coins. PCGS description of the set: A complete variety set of any set is usually a challenge, and the Kennedy Halves are no different. Topping the list is the extremely scarce 1964 "SMS" issue. Only about a dozen of these are known, and prices can run well into five figures. Dozens of varieties from the Cherrypicker's Guide are to be found here, usually Doubled Die Obverses, though other types of varieties also exist. This set has yet to be completed, though a few collectors have come close.

As of today, it remains no one has completed the set. Hansen is not number #1, but does appear to be very close to the collection that has held this honor for more than a decade. Like the Hansen set, the #1 set does not have the 1964 SMS either. There have been only (13) 1964 SMS certified by PCGS. Seem unusual that none of them are in the PCGS registry. The finest certified is the exclusive SP69. PCGS Price Guide places the value of the coin at $65,000. I wonder where it is, and could it use a new home?

1964 50C Accented Hair, DC PR69DC Certification #80504252, PCGS #96801 PSGS POP 1/0

There are a lot of coins that I could pick to show and discuss. Unfortunately, most of the coins do not have pictures. The coin that I will show is the 1964 Accented Hair variety. The coin is one of the original designs and Jaime Hernandez comment with this story: The Accented Hair design is believed to have been the first design used to strike Proof Kennedy Half Dollars in 1964. The Accented Hair variety displays extra hair, right above Kennedy’s ear, as opposed to a regular coin which will have less hair above the ear. The Accented Hair variety will also be missing most of the lower left serif on the letter, I, of the word, LIBERTY. Jacqueline Kennedy the wife of John F. Kennedy played a major role in the production of Kennedy Half Dollars. Initially, the John F. Kennedy design was intended to replace the Washington Quarter design. However, Mrs. Kennedy requested that the Washington Quarter design be left alone. As a result, the Franklin Half Dollar was replaced with the Kennedy Half Dollar design. Soon after, the Accented Hair variety was used to strike the first Proof Kennedy Half Dollars. Mrs. Kennedy also requested that the Accented Hair variety be slightly modified, so that the hair strands right above the ear on the coin would be less prominent. This made the Accented Hair variety a one year type and even then, it was only used to strike some Proof Kennedy Half’s in 1964. Since the 1964 Proof Kennedy Half with the Accented hair variety was replaced the same year, the Accented Hair variety became somewhat scarce compared to the regular issue proof coins of that year. Less than 5% of the entire 1964 Proof Kennedy Half Dollar mintage is believed to have the Accented hair variety.

Other than the coin came from the Whitlock Collection of Kennedy Half Dollars, there is not much else known. PCGS Coin Guide for a PR69DC values the coin at $25,000.

• Options
    ARCOARCO Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭✭✭

Beautiful coins. All I can think of when I see the coins and how much he spent is: "How much money is Hansen going to lose when he sells his coins"? I never used to think that way about numismatics, now it is the driving consideration.

• Options
    topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ARCO said:
    Beautiful coins. All I can think of when I see the coins and how much he spent is: "How much money is Hansen going to lose when he sells his coins"? I never used to think that way about numismatics, now it is the driving consideration.

The new paradigm will be measuring wealth by rare coins. :)

• Options
    jerseycat101jerseycat101 Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭✭✭

@specialist said:

His name is Dell Loy. And once he is done his current quest, I am hopeful he will build the finest pattern collection also! He has great representation, so I don't think he'll have trouble sourcing great pattern coins.

• Options

Delloy or any else has NO shot ever in coming close obtaining the greatest Patterns that exist. Mr Simpson (memba him?) only has 1,800 pieces or so-many of which are the greatest you can find. He has coins you can't even imagine-like all his Gold Patterns, PR68 specimans of R-7/8 pieces. Black Cat now has 200+ including the $50 Half Union we just bought at the ANA Mid winter sale (Simpson has the PR 65). Patterns simply cannot be found. As good as JB is, he can't buy them-NO ONE can. And if something comes we don't have, I think my record for buying patterns in auction is 100%!

Eliasberg had Patterns. No one can rebuild that group-ever. Neither Mr Simpson or BC are sellers.

This summer at ANA BC will be displaying a handful of his patterns.

Delloy has done a great job on his collection, however he can not say he is Eliasberg II with out the Patterns! BUT I am tremendously impressed with his darn Jefferson Nickel collection. God bless him he stayed with it and built the #1 set. I could never do that.

• Options
    wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,709 ✭✭✭✭✭

“Delloy has done a great job on his collection, however he can not say he is Eliasberg II with out the Patterns! “

Not to mention United States Philippine Coins (1903-1945) that Eliasberg also had a nearly complete collection of.

Besides Jeffs, he has also built a World Class set of Silver Roosevelt Dimes and, now, Kennedy Half Dollars as well. Well on the way with Ike $1s as well.

Wondercoin.

Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options
    jerseycat101jerseycat101 Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am confident that Dell Loy, if he wants to, will dominate the pattern market when he's done dominating the Eliasberg challenge. Money is the ultimate persuador.

• Options

@wondercoin said:

Besides Jeffs, he has also built a World Class set of Silver Roosevelt Dimes and, now, Kennedy Half Dollars as well. Well on the way with Ike $1s as well.

Wondercoin.

Hey, what about the Lincoln Cents? I think that series is strong. You agree?

And the Washington Quarters? What is your opinion on how that series coming along? Does Hansen need to sign a check for one of Washington Collections? You may know someone that has a very nice and comprehensive collection. :)

Thanks Mitch for your insight...

• Options

I am confident that Dell Loy, if he wants to, will dominate the pattern market when he's done dominating the Eliasberg challenge. Money is the ultimate persuador.

please share with me what you are drinking (I don't smoke).....

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file