Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

What is this guardian angel coin and could this be solid Gold? Where did they come from?

Comments

• Options
    SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've found several of them in Coinstar reject slots - usually gold plated steel.

In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • Options
    CameonutCameonut Posts: 7,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 7, 2018 7:04AM

The one I inherited from my mother recently is magnetic. So it is likely brass plated but could be gold plated.
    I'd like to more about these.

“In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." - Thomas Jefferson

My digital cameo album 1950-64 Cameos - take a look!

• Options
    WatchbelieveWatchbelieve Posts: 527 ✭✭✭

Thank you

• Options
    CommemKingCommemKing Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭✭✭

Common. It does not appear to be gold. Likely brass.

They do make "Angel" coins I think through the Perth mint. Look them up. They usually depict St. Michael the Archangel (my Saint name). They are produced in gold and solver. I have a .999 silver one I hold with me for "protection."

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,008 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have a bag of those somewhere. Not sure who commissioned them, but they were likely sold mail order through an ad.

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,564 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have seen bowls of them for sale in Hallmark stores for a dollar or two. Not gold.

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    chumleychumley Posts: 2,305 ✭✭✭✭

pennies from heaven?

• Options
    CameonutCameonut Posts: 7,258 ✭✭✭✭✭

@messydesk said:
    I've had one come in the mail booger-glued to a request for money from a charity.

This is likely the case with my mother. She contributed to almost 75 charities - basically all that run tear-jerker ads on TV.

“In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." - Thomas Jefferson

My digital cameo album 1950-64 Cameos - take a look!

• Options
    SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

Some real gold 1/25 oz Guardian Angel rounds were made by a private mint. They are hallmarked and don't look like that.

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

You can tell by the dark holes in the golden surface that the piece is only plated.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    AzurescensAzurescens Posts: 2,686 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Smudge said:
    Some real gold 1/25 oz Guardian Angel rounds were made by a private mint. They are hallmarked and don't look like that.

There are some older gold and silver saint medals without hallmarks. I really don't wanna dig it out and probably cry going through the other stuff in the box, but I own a Saint Michael coin/pend/medal about the size of a dime that's 92% silver and thick as a quarter.

The coin in OP is plated.

• Options
    TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭

not gold, just a token

Frank

BHNC #203

• Options
    RogerBRogerB Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's just a cheap, poorly made medal.

• Options
    northcoinnorthcoin Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭✭✭

My angels for which I am a guardian were minted from gold in France. :)

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have one of those...I believe I found it in a coinstar reject slot.... not gold, no value....Cheers, RickO

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,945 ✭✭✭✭✭

Those are used by Catholic religious orders during their mail solicitations for donations. They have been around for years and are very, very common. They are not gold.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    gripgrip Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭

My aunt was my guardian angel but over the years
    she lost it in a cracker jack box. Bless her.

• Options

when i first found mine I was like woah a new coin for the value collection but then I saw that it was worth nothing so that's a bummer but it is a cool coin to have tho.

• Options
    WAYNEASWAYNEAS Posts: 6,355 ✭✭✭✭✭

The one I have in hand is from Catholic Charities.
    Mine shows an edge with a combination of a non-silver base with a brass plated obverse and reverse.
    Wayne

Kennedys are my quest...

• Options
    moursundmoursund Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭✭✭

@WAYNEAS said:
    The one I have in hand is from Catholic Charities.
    Mine shows an edge with a combination of a non-silver base with a brass plated obverse and reverse.
    Wayne

Every time a brass bell rings, a brass angle token gets its wings...

100th pint of blood donated 7/19/2022 B) . Transactions with WilliamF, Relaxn, LukeMarshal, jclovescoins, braddick, JWP, Weather11am, Fairlaneman, Dscoins, lordmarcovan, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, JimW. God so loved the world that he gave his only begotten son, that who so believeth in him should not perish but have everlasting life.
  • Options
    WillieBoyd2WillieBoyd2 Posts: 5,038 ✭✭✭✭✭

Is the coin angel a male or female angel?

:)

https://www.brianrxm.com
    The Mysterious Egyptian Magic Coin
    Coins in Movies
    Coins on Television

• Options

@WillieBoyd2 said:

I go with Female Angel.
    Wayne

Kennedys are my quest...

• Options

@WAYNEAS said:

@WillieBoyd2 said:

I go with Female Angel.
    Wayne

Top image is male, bottom image is female. Odd...

100th pint of blood donated 7/19/2022 B) . Transactions with WilliamF, Relaxn, LukeMarshal, jclovescoins, braddick, JWP, Weather11am, Fairlaneman, Dscoins, lordmarcovan, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, JimW. God so loved the world that he gave his only begotten son, that who so believeth in him should not perish but have everlasting life.
  • Options

@moursund said:

@WAYNEAS said:

@WillieBoyd2 said:

I go with Female Angel.
    Wayne

Top image is male, bottom image is female. Odd...

Without peaking under the robes, I say both female.lol

Wayne

Kennedys are my quest...

• Options

Male

Female

• Options
    DivahuffDivahuff Posts: 5
    edited July 1, 2022 8:10PM

@Everyone who has commented

Ok just want to let everyone know FYI.. That this is a Christian/Religious coin for, a token of an angel with to be with you at all times and It’s worth more than any amount of money ok! it’s priceless because we all need more faith, guidance, protection, peace, strength, healing, love and most definitely blessings. It is also protecting you from evil or anything or anyone who has bad intentions to hurt you in anyway. So it’s definitely worth more than any amount of money! Trust this if you have one put it in your wallet or wherever you will always have it with you. We all know that we all come into the world without anything and we all leave the world the same way without anything. Anyway god is good and you all have a blessed beautiful day! 💋

Be safe & thankful
    D.

• Options
    DivahuffDivahuff Posts: 5
    edited July 1, 2022 8:13PM

PS
    I’m not trying to be rude or anything else but truthful and honest to you guys ok!

• Options
    wevwev Posts: 143 ✭✭✭
    edited July 1, 2022 8:44PM

They're nothing compared to my black cat bone, but they do make good bb gun targets

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,008 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Divahuff said:
    PS
    I’m not trying to be rude or anything else but truthful and honest to you guys ok!

So, you believe in idolatry?

• Options
    ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,542 ✭✭✭✭✭

@messydesk said:
    I've had one come in the mail booger-glued to a request for money from a charity.

Yup that’s how a got mine. Was hoping it was a recycled Cheerios Dollar

• Options
    rokkyrokky Posts: 308 ✭✭✭✭

@northcoin said:
    My angels for which I am a guardian were minted from gold in France. :)

I love them, and the Roosters. I had a nice big handful of them at one time when I was investing in nothing but gold years ago.

• Options
    ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file