Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Show your Cap & Rays 8 Reales

Comments

• Options
    AbueloAbuelo Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 29, 2018 7:55AM

To be fair, some of the coins that @giorgio11 is selling are equal or superior in grade to those on Heritage tonight. As far as eye appeal, I leave that up to you but they can very well compete.

• Options
    BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,876 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Abuelo said:
    To be fair, some of the coins that @giorgio11 is selling are equal or superior in grade to those on Heritage tonight. As far as eye appeal, I leave that up to you but they can very well compete.

I agree with this. Most of the HA coins are pretty blah regardless of technical grade.

• Options
    cecropiamothcecropiamoth Posts: 959 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 29, 2018 5:43PM

@Boosibri said:

@Abuelo said:

I agree with this. Most of the HA coins are pretty blah regardless of technical grade.

Pictures aren't great. And I thought this was bad timing right after Heritage's CCE and also CSNS. Nevertheless I have a few I'm interested in that I'm sure I will get blown away on!! Good luck if you guys do any bidding!

JJ

• Options
    bidaskbidask Posts: 13,865 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think the prices realized are pretty strong tonite.

I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• Options

Yes, very strong bidding so far... perhaps another reason to consider @giorgio11 's coins :smile:

• Options

@Abuelo said:
    Yes, very strong bidding so far... perhaps another reason to consider @giorgio11 's coins :smile:

Are they for sale

• Options

@bidask said:

Are they for sale

Yes, go to World BST tab, he has several, really nice Cap and Rays.

• Options

No point of keep on watching the sale, people are paying crazy money for the coins. Let's hope the winners will post the pictures here soon.

• Options

Prices have been obscene, I'm 0-3 right now. Ran some folks up though I do believe.

• Options

I'm gonna chill out and throw some darts and come back in a couple hundred lots.

• Options

I think this collection was bought intact by World Numismatics LLC .

• Options

Geez, can I win one stinkin' coin?

@bidask You might be right!!!

JJ

• Options

@bidask said:
    I think this collection was bought intact by World Numismatics LLC .

Yes, I believe you are correct and the best pieces may still be handled by them with the average stuff being in this sale.

The 1829-Eomo in 63 is not in the sale nor are the rare or ultra-high grade coins. FWIW I have seen the coins imaged and even the best are generally blast white "producty" looking coins.

• Options

Well, whomever won the coins, if a dealer, will have bad timing trying to sale a common date that was bought for 3 times the estimate, even higher than retail...

• Options

Uh oh .....

• Options
    edited May 3, 2018 8:06PM

@bidask Excited to hear about and see which ones you came away with from the auction! I'm sure seeing them in Chi-town helped with the bidding decisions.

Jeff

• Options

Greatcollections is auctioning few Cap and Rays in the next few weeks. I do not think there is anything amazing, but maybe you wanted to check it out.

• Options
    edited May 31, 2018 6:51PM

So the Mexican Coin Company put up 600 8 reales for sale. I am sure I am crazy but the prices are a bit high. Not just a REPULICA Hookneck for 12K (I wanted one of those for ever, more since @pruebas showed me his, but 12K is too rich for my blood), but... anyway, take a look, you are likely to find few rarities. As @giorgio11 would say, buy Giorgio's instead of from the big guys :D

• Options

@Abuelo said:
    So the Mexican Coin Company put up 600 8 reales for sale. I am sure I am crazy but the prices are a bit high. Not just a REPULICA Hookneck for 12K (I wanted one of those for ever, more since @pruebas showed me his, but 12K is too rich for my blood), but... anyway, take a look, you are likely to find few rarities. As @giorgio11 would say, buy Giorgio's instead of from the big guys :D

The coins are mostly "product" with a few exceptions like the Hookneck and some rare dates. I couldn;t get excited about the white 65's -66's as much as I wanted to.

• Options

I have to say that, while I browsed over the 600 or so, I was very impressed by a few. The 3 issues from the Estado de Mexico are quite rare on those grades. Few Hermosillo coins are likely some of the rarest for the series. I never saw an MS67 before. A plate coin from Resplandores. Of course, an uncirculated Durango and a nice Guanajuato Hooknecks. A bunch of Guadalupe y Calvo y one from Real de Catorce. Sure there are more than a few that are just 62 common dates, but there are clearly few impressive coins there. And none, absolutely none, are cheap.

• Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,540 ✭✭✭✭✭

There are a few very tough pieces in that lot. In addition to the ones mentioned by @Abuelo , pre-1842 Zacatecas examples in 63 are also uncommon. No fully struck eagles, unfortunately. Would be neat to own one.

To Brian's point, though, most have been treated.

• Options

@Boosibri said:

@Abuelo said:

The coins are mostly "product" with a few exceptions like the Hookneck and some rare dates. I couldn;t get excited about the white 65's -66's as much as I wanted to.

Brian were you able to view any of their coins ?

• Options

Anyone know which mints produced coins with the best luster ?

• Options

someone bought the star * late date Ga coin. (edit) I think it was 1893 in MS65 *

• Options

I think the initial count was 604, then 597, now it is down to 564. they are selling.

• Options

@cecropiamoth said:
    I think the initial count was 604, then 597, now it is down to 564. they are selling.

Who is buying ? :*

• Options

@bidask said:

@cecropiamoth said:

Gotta to be someone 'round here. 40 coins have disappeared from the list. LOL, I'm not sure what that emoji is, but I remember you had a good night when The Engineer collection went off!!! In all seriousness, I hope everyone is getting to fill some holes if they deemed the coins worthy of purchase. I actually don't like when so many come available all at once due to overload. And these images make decision making tough.

• Options

@cecropiamoth said:

@bidask said:

@cecropiamoth said:

Gotta to be someone 'round here. 40 coins have disappeared from the list. LOL, I'm not sure what that emoji is, but I remember you had a good night when The Engineer collection went off!!! In all seriousness, I hope everyone is getting to fill some holes if they deemed the coins worthy of purchase. I actually don't like when so many come available all at once due to overload. And these images make decision making tough.

I agree images make things tough . Also these 2 collections have come market close together but I don't tecall getting a shot at such a selection in the past .

I bought several this morning .

Mexican Coin Co will give you a refund if
    you don't like the coin upon inspecting it in hand.

I'm also hoping for a miracle that the Chinese will once again get interested in this series . :)B)

• Options

@bidask said:

I'm also hoping for a miracle that the Chinese will once again get interested in this series . :)B)

When you say this, are you referencing the auction prices that were realized in ~2011? There was an epic Heritage sale with lots of MS64, 65 and even some 66 coins that brought huge money that year. Huge money!

Jeff

• Options

@cecropiamoth said:

@bidask said:

When you say this, are you referencing the auction prices that were realized in ~2011? There was an epic Heritage sale with lots of MS64, 65 and even some 66 coins that brought huge money that year. Huge money!

Jeff

Yes that is what I am referencing.

Definitely not a good year to buy cap n rays as they were very expensive .

• Options
    giorgio11giorgio11 Posts: 3,824 ✭✭✭✭✭

@bidask I think overall, Zacatecas and Mexico City produced the best-lustrous coins in the series. I had an amazing 1856/5-Mo overdate with fully prooflike obverse (and almost the entire reverse) that I sold to another fine fellow here (who can self-identify if he wishes); perhaps he still has it.

And the MS66 1893-Zs FZ that most recently was offered on John Agre's website @CoinRaritiesOnline also came through me.

Here are the Trueviews of those two coins, although they don't do full justice to the surfaces (particularly on the 1856/5 coin).

Kind regards,

George

VDBCoins.com Our Registry Sets Many successful BSTs; pls ask.
  • Options

@giorgio11 said:
    @bidask I think overall, Zacatecas and Mexico City produced the best-lustrous coins in the series. I had an amazing 1856/5-Mo overdate with fully prooflike obverse (and almost the entire reverse) that I sold to another fine fellow here (who can self-identify if he wishes); perhaps he still has it.

And the MS66 1893-Zs FZ that most recently was offered on John Agre's website @CoinRaritiesOnline also came through me.

Here are the Trueviews of those two coins, although they don't do full justice to the surfaces (particularly on the 1856/5 coin).

Kind regards,

George

I would have bought those in a heartbeat !

• Options

I see the 1856 Mo Overdate was sold on CRO website.

Anyone know what the asking price was ?

• Options

@cecropiamoth said:

Down to 521... Looks like early Xmas!

• Options

@Abuelo said:

@cecropiamoth said:

• Options

As I said, like Xmas.

• Options
    CaptMorgansCaptMorgans Posts: 102 ✭✭✭

• Options
    edited June 2, 2018 7:47PM

@giorgio11 said:
    @bidask I think overall, Zacatecas and Mexico City produced the best-lustrous coins in the series.

Also Guadalajara (Ga) coins from the mid 1880's to the end of the series can be real lookers. The 1884 below is extremely lusterous and prooflike.

Jeff

• Options

@cecropiamoth Agree! Like any other coins (think Morgan dollars) it comes down most of the time to early strikes off of freshly polished dies.

Great coin BTW!

Kind regards,

George

• Options
    edited June 3, 2018 8:03AM

Are common dates from MO , Z, and GA mints worth more in 65 than common dates in
    65 from other mints because of their better luster?

• Options

@giorgio11 said:
    @cecropiamoth Agree! Like any other coins (think Morgan dollars) it comes down most of the time to early strikes off of freshly polished dies.

Great coin BTW!

Kind regards,

George

Thanks, George. That one came from a Stacks Bowers sale at a very reasonable price.

Jeff

• Options

@bidask said:
    Are common dates from MO , Z, and GA mints worth more in 65 than common dates in

@bidask I don't think it's all that cut and dried. As the man says, no generalization is worth a damn, including this one.

Other factors are at play as well.

Kind regards,

George

• Options

@giorgio11 said:

@bidask said:

@bidask I don't think it's all that cut and dried. As the man says, no generalization is worth a damn, including this one.

Kind regards,

George

Ok thanks

• Options

Kind regards,

George

George, whether right or wrong, I tend to equate Oaxaca cap and rays 8R with Carson City Trade $'s and Morgan $'s. Low mintage, obscure mint. But, this goes out the window though when you factor in the hoard of CC dollars. I don't think there has been any large hoards of Oa coins, unlike other mints like Mo, Zs and some dates of Ga and Go. Just a weird connection that I put together in my active mind.

Anyone else have this type of thinking, or am I just weird? Mexico City would be the equivalent to Philadelphia to me, mother mints.

Cheers/Jeff

• Options
    edited June 5, 2018 5:14PM

@cecropiamoth said:

Kind regards,

George

George, whether right or wrong, I tend to equate Oaxaca cap and rays 8R with Carson City Trade $'s and Morgan $'s. Low mintage, obscure mint. But, this goes out the window though when you factor in the hoard of CC dollars. I don't think there has been any large hoards of Oa coins, unlike other mints like Mo, Zs and some dates of Ga and Go. Just a weird connection that I put together in my active mind.

Anyone else have this type of thinking, or am I just weird? Mexico City would be the equivalent to Philadelphia to me, mother mints.

Cheers/Jeff

Jeff do you know the dates of hoard coins?

• Options

@cecropiamoth said:

Kind regards,

George

Cheers/Jeff

Oaxaca is in general, a less common mint than others, with some true rarities. By the 1870s on forward these coins were hoarded (Not numismatically but in banks and people's safes as the country became wealthier.

• Options

BTW @cecropiamoth , the new Newsletter of the Mexican Coin Co has a full article on the Oaxaca mint.

• Options

@bidask From reading Resplandores by Dunigan and Parker the way I understand it there were multiple hoards...at least one in the 1970's and another in 1991/1992. I'll work on a list in the next couple of days (based on the information in the book). Others might know more than what is broadly outlined in the book.

I think one clue to the hoard dates can be found in the PCGS and NGC pop reports. What @Abuelo stated about the 1870's and on being hoarded by the public as the country became wealthier accounts for the higher pop numbers in general from say 1881 to the end of the series. If you see a particular date/mintmark with a high mint state population prior to 1881 it was likely found in one of the large hoards.

To begin with, Resplandores lists the Mexico City (Mo) coins of 1854 through 1861 as being present in both the early 1970's and the 1991 hoards.

Jeff

• Options

@cecropiamoth said:
    @bidask From reading Resplandores by Dunigan and Parker the way I understand it there were multiple hoards...at least one in the 1970's and another in 1991/1992. I'll work on a list in the next couple of days (based on the information in the book). Others might know more than what is broadly outlined in the book.

I think one clue to the hoard dates can be found in the PCGS and NGC pop reports. What @Abuelo stated about the 1870's and on being hoarded by the public as the country became wealthier accounts for the higher pop numbers in general from say 1881 to the end of the series. If you see a particular date/mintmark with a high mint state population prior to 1881 it was likely found in one of the large hoards.

To begin with, Resplandores lists the Mexico City (Mo) coins of 1854 through 1861 as being present in both the early 1970's and the 1991 hoards.

Jeff

Ok thanks