Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

First SS Central America coins hit the market

jwittenjwitten Posts: 5,077 ✭✭✭✭✭

Got an email from pcgs about these today. What's everyone's thoughts? The coins are higher than I want to pay, so I picked up a couple of the pinches of gold in the holders. I figured it was a fairly cheap way to be a part of the excitement.
https://www.universalcoin.com/ship-of-gold-treasures?cn=UWNRANO0318

Comments

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,485 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes those prices are up there, especially when you consider that this new group of coins will possibly dilute the SS Central America coin market with more pieces.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    TheRavenTheRaven Posts: 4,143 ✭✭✭✭

Pinch is kinda cool.

Not to expensive.

Collection under construction: VG Barber Quarters & Halves
  • Options
    1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes expensive but I guess if it was my find, I would start out on the higher priced side as well. There is a lot of expense finding and getting the items from the sea floor to the collector. JMO :smile:

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• Options
    SCDHunterSCDHunter Posts: 686 ✭✭✭

I don't see the weight of the pinch on the slab. Did they take the time to ensure that each pinch is the same weight?

• Options
    mvs7mvs7 Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭✭✭

Even if the prices were in line with the older Gold Foil coins, I don't like this type of setup... you can't pick an individual coin. I'm guessing that uber-toner they've been marketing won't be in the group of random $20s at a particular grade.

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,976 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 21, 2018 8:24AM

@PhilLynott said:
    weren't $20 57-S 64s routinely going for under 10k in auction the last few years? Now there's an increase in supply and they bump it up a few k?

Yes, I just sold a 64 for $7500 and glad to get it.

How much is in a "pinch"? Is that about 1/40th of an ounce?

• Options

I love the "No dealers" but a limit of 10. Do "collectors" typically buy 10 of something? Aren't those just amateur dealers?

• Options

1.5 grams ???

Description

1857 S.S. Central America 1.5 grams of gold dust “pinch” from the California Gold Rush. Alongside the bars and coins, there was a large number of nuggets recovered from the shipwreck of the S.S. Central America, which sank in 1857. In addition to these artifacts, golden-brown flakes of gold, otherwise known as “pinches” and typically no more than a gram in weight, had been encapsulated by PCGS. These “slabs” of gold dust have been marketed over the past decade with great success. Only recently has PCGS created an enlarged plastic holder for these larger nuggets recovered from the shipwreck. We are told these are some of the first examples of nuggets from the excavated treasure of the Central America. Encapsulated with an assigned weight without a grade in a PCGS holder #1000/1060 Gold Foil.

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

• Options

Gold 1.5 gram gold dust “pinch” from the shipwreck of the S.S. Central America PCGS Gold Foil – SOLD

• Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,735 ✭✭✭✭✭

I was quite interested...... then I saw the prices. Yikes!

With more and more coming up for sale, I think I'll be hunting for one in a few years when the premium has died down a bunch.

• Options
    edited March 21, 2018 8:36AM

No weight given here for a pinch....................but it does have a date/mintmark :smile:

CERT VERIFICATION #57000250
    According to the PCGS Certification Database, the requested certification number is defined as the following:

PCGS Coin Information
    PCGS # 671486
    Date, mintmark 1857
    Denomination Pinch
    Variety Pinch of Gold S.S. Central America #2 (with Pinch)
    Country The United States of America
    Grade Genuine (80 - Genuine)
    Holder Type Standard

• Options
    coinpalicecoinpalice Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭✭✭

apparently a pinch was enough to buy a beer back in the day

• Options
    ShadyDaveShadyDave Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭✭✭

more gimmicks. :(

• Options

@1630Boston said:
    Gold 1.5 gram gold dust “pinch” from the shipwreck of the S.S. Central America PCGS Gold Foil – SOLD

I'm not sure those are the same thing. In the original Central America sales, they were selling gold dust and nuggets with actual weights on the label. This "pinch" thing isn't specified. It says a pinch was equivalent to a 50 cent fractional which should be approximately 0.024 troy oz or 0.75 grams. So you've got two pinches there! :wink:

• Options
    RogerBRogerB Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭✭✭

Vastly over priced for the value offered. Where is the after-market in these?

• Options
    WeissWeiss Posts: 9,935 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 21, 2018 9:21AM

Very cool. Interesting slab.

Edited to add:

After perusing this website, I now know for certain I would never purchase a coin from them.
    Ever.
    Their website indicates that they are members of PCGS, NGC, PNG, are official contributors to the Red Book, and supporters of ICTA.

And then apropos of absolutely nothing, they include the NRA Business Alliance with these memberships and accolades.

I'm a firearm owner and a very proud supporter of the 2nd amendment. But I would never buy a coin, let alone a 5-figure coin, from an organization who supports the NRA.

I know for a fact that this appeals to many members here. It may be just enough to make some of my fellow posters buy a coin from this outfit. No sir. Not me. Not ever.

I don't mean to hijack this thread. This seller has included their sponsorship on their home page, so I feel it's relevant.

We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • Options

@RogerB said:
    Vastly over priced for the value offered. Where is the after-market in these?

They do sell on the secondary market...for less than the current offer. I think these prices are in line with the original group, but those coins dropped over time.

I had a woman try to sell me a 64 almost a year ago. At the time, I offered her $7000 because the market was $7500-$8000. Her husband had bought if for $10,500 a few years earler. She came back a couple months ago and needed to sell it. I offered her $6500 because the market was down to $7000. The 64 CAC still sell for over $10k. Straight 64s are more like $7000. So, I kind of think this is like a new car, it's going to drop 30% by the time the coin arrives in your mailbox.

https://ebay.com/itm/1857-S-U-S-GOLD-20-Central-America-Coin-Type-20A-Spiked-Shield-MS64-PCGS/352281142691?hash=item520597a5a3:g:ZBQAAOSwMfhag4F0

https://ebay.com/itm/1857-S-20-LIBERTY-GOLD-SS-CENTRAL-AMERICA-PCGS-MS64-CAC-CARTWHEEL-LUSTER/382343481077?hash=item59057286f5:g:KvUAAOSwCV5Z3C8K

https://coins.ha.com/itm/liberty-double-eagles/double-eagles/1857-s-20-variety-20b-ms64-pcgs-variety-20b/a/1271-6358.s?ic4=ListView-ShortDescription-071515

https://coins.ha.com/itm/liberty-double-eagles/double-eagles/1857-s-20-spiked-shield-variety-20a-ms64-pcgs/a/1265-3299.s?ic4=ListView-ShortDescription-071515

• Options
    stevebensteveben Posts: 4,596 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 21, 2018 9:32AM

@topstuf said:
    Kinda silly when you can get REAL California gold that was used in commerce while the ships were busy sinking for way less money than the stuff that sank.

this shipwreck contributed the financial panic of 1857, but, now, we are all like "meh" with this offering.

• Options

So the coins are over priced, but what about the pinch? I thought it was a decent price for what it is. I'm sure there will be tons of those on the market now though.

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Weiss said:
    Very cool. Interesting slab.

Edited to add:

After perusing this website, I now know for certain I would never purchase a coin from them.
    Ever.
    Their website indicates that they are members of PCGS, NGC, PNG, are official contributors to the Red Book, and supporters of ICTA.

And then apropos of absolutely nothing, they include the NRA Business Alliance with these memberships and accolades.

I'm a firearm owner and a very proud supporter of the 2nd amendment. But I would never buy a coin, let alone a 5-figure coin, from an organization who supports the NRA.

I know for a fact that this appeals to many members here. It may be just enough to make some of my fellow posters buy a coin from this outfit. No sir. Not me. Not ever.

I don't mean to hijack this thread. This seller has included their sponsorship on their home page, so I feel it's relevant.

1) how did Universal Coin get in on this deal? The Website reads as a cheap infomercial and almost seems like it’s pandering to the unintiated layman.

2) I agree with you on the NRA tag. I’m also a gun owner and proud supporter of the second amendment but this is total turn off. It wouldn’t stop me from buying something from them but it would be my last resort

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,944 ✭✭✭✭✭

Put your wallets back in your pockets and leave the buying to the uninitiated.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    WeissWeiss Posts: 9,935 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Justacommeman said:

1) how did Universal Coin get in on this deal? The Website reads as a cheap infomercial and almost seems like it’s pandering to the unintiated layman.

2) I agree with you on the NRA tag. I’m also a gun owner and proud supporter of the second amendment but this is total turn off. It wouldn’t stop me from buying something from them but it would be my last resort

"Infomercial" is spot on. Maybe they know seasoned numismatists aren't their market, and they're selling the sizzle.

My local B&M takes in boxes full of certified presidential dollars and colorized state quarters in naughahide cases.
    Is this the 5-figure equivalent?

We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • Options

@jwitten said:
    So the coins are over priced, but what about the pinch? I thought it was a decent price for what it is. I'm sure there will be tons of those on the market now though.

It's okay. If you look on eBay, you can find heavier nuggets and dust for a couple hundred bucks. So, it might drop a little bit, but I doubt it will drop so much as you'd notice. It is by far the most affordable little collectible. I looked long and hard at buying a pinch, but I would like to see an actual picture of one.

• Options

You gun afficionados make me want to buy one just to support the NRA - and I don't like guns. LOL

• Options
    mvs7mvs7 Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Weiss and @Justacommeman - when I saw the NRA thing, I didn't question it only because I just assumed they were primarily a "Guns and Gold" shop. On business trips, I sometimes try to visit local B&Ms if I have a half-day downtime... there's a lot of B&Ms out there that basically sell both guns and bullion, normally not in the same case, but still...

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

@mvs7 said:
    @Weiss and @Justacommeman - when I saw the NRA thing, I didn't question it only because I just assumed they were primarily a "Guns and Gold" shop. On business trips, I sometimes try to visit local B&Ms if I have a half-day downtime... there's a lot of B&Ms out there that basically sell both guns and bullion, normally not in the same case, but still...

You are probably right. I believe they are in Texas and I know Dr Mike ( principal ?) is a big “In God We Trust” Motto guy on coins.

mark

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    KkathylKkathyl Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭✭✭

so what is the price over spot for a pinch. And what is the weight of the pinch? If I pinch the gold will I see less if the pincher has small hands?

Best place to buy !
    Bronze Associate member

• Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think they are dreaming if they think they will sell many at those prices!

• Options
    northcoinnorthcoin Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭✭✭

On the plus side there had been some suggestion that we would not see this batch of Central America treasure hit the market for public purchase until next year's Long Beach show. Those who want to be early adopters now have their opportunity. Curious though if this will move up the time table for others offering the coins?

• Options

Currently on the phone with the company that is selling these... will update here in a minute... lol

• Options
    illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ms70 said:
    I hate when there's a generic picture and "Add to cart" below it. Show me the actual coin.

Yes, way too much money for a coin with stock images. Pass.

• Options
    ProofmorganProofmorgan Posts: 715 ✭✭✭✭✭

I called and spoke with reps multiple times. It’s pretty much a telemarketing type investment situation. Buying sight unseen. This seems to be geared toward investors vs. collectors. After asking for the smaller denoms multiple times and not the generic $20s, I was repeatedly asked how much in total I was willing to spend. I threw out $100k, but dependent on the actual coin (I don’t plan on spending any money actually). I got the vibe that 100k is small time and the guy on the phone knows nothing about coins or what I’d actually receive. It’s more of a “send up $500k and we’ll send you a group of coins to fill up that value”. Seems purely investment/speculation type of sale.

And as far as any other coins being available....”this list is coming soon”. It’s been all day and when I called back they said tomorrow, maybe. This list is likely going to the guy who said he has 1-2M to spend.

Again, I don’t plan to buy anything but I was curious. Seems like a gimmick at that point, not geared toward true collectors at all.

Collector of Original Early Gold with beginnings in Proof Morgan collecting.
  • Options

Wow. So, I just got off the phone with them. I bought two of the pinches, and they got my number from that. Called me to try to upsale me. I asked what the cheapest coin they had was, and they said it was a 1857-S $20 in AU58 for $7,176. Telling me it was the chance of a lifetime, guaranteed to go up in value. Said they would have a display at the NRA convention, and they would skyrocket after that. I am slightly embarrassed pcgs gave the link to these guys. Ugh.

• Options
    FullStrikeFullStrike Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭

Sounds to me like the same outfit is pushing Bitcoin and these SSCA Investment Opportunities of a Lifetime.

Be there or be Square .

• Options

@jwitten said:
    Wow. So, I just got off the phone with them. I bought two of the pinches, and they got my number from that. Called me to try to upsale me. I asked what the cheapest coin they had was, and they said it was a 1857-S $20 in AU58 for $7,176. Telling me it was the chance of a lifetime, guaranteed to go up in value. Said they would have a display at the NRA convention, and they would skyrocket after that. I am slightly embarrassed pcgs gave the link to these guys. Ugh.

Are they the only distributor or just one of many?

• Options
    northcoinnorthcoin Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 21, 2018 1:17PM

@jmlanzaf said:

@jwitten said:

Are they the only distributor or just one of many?

Also do they actually have these coins and the pokes in hand or are they jumping the gun to get out in front of the others? When you add an item to the cart it mentions credit card orders go out in 3-5 days, but that seems to be generic for all of their items rather than specific to these.

• Options
    goldengolden Posts: 9,067 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not only way too high priced but the holder is too big!

• Options
    1TwoBits1TwoBits Posts: 452 ✭✭✭✭

Considering a pinch, and they seem to be moving.

There were 65 available when I checked this morning. Then around lunch it showed 177 available. Since then it's been going down through the afternoon.... 171, 165, and now at 5:00 EST it's showing 150 available.

Many of you buying pinches?

1TwoBits

Searching for bust quarters.....counterstamps, errors, and AU-MS varieties, please let me know if you can help.
  • Options
    RogerBRogerB Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jwitten said:

Sounds slimy... but all tel-EEL marketers are like that.

• Options
    BloodManBloodMan Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jwitten said:

I asked about the price of 1855-S double eagles, and was quoted a price of $8750 for an AU58, which is higher than the 1857-S in the same grade, but this earlier date always seems to sell for a premium over the more available dates (including the 1856-S).

• Options
    dcarrdcarr Posts: 8,007 ✭✭✭✭✭

What are the "donuts" made out of - the rings that enclose the gold particles and say "SHIPWRECK GOLD" or "CALIFORNIA GOLD DUST" ?

Are they printed cardboard or a die-struck metallic medal ?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file