Home Precious Metals
Options

So which dealer or company is the safest in terms of buying American Silver Eagles?

WingedLiberty1957WingedLiberty1957 Posts: 2,961 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not the cheapest, but the safest in terms of avoiding fakes? Are there known companies that have a direct pipeline to the Mint? That is they dont buy from wholesalers but from a direct distributor?

Comments

• Options
    mkman123mkman123 Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭✭

what are you worried about? Have you seen fakes that are so convincing?

Successful Buying and Selling transactions with:

Many members on this forum that now it cannot fit in my signature. Please ask for entire list.
  • Options
    Jinx86Jinx86 Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just buy a sealed box.

• Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,203 ✭✭✭✭✭

Any of the major dealers. I like dbscoins.

Keep an open mind, or get financially repressed -Zoltan Pozsar

• Options
    djmdjm Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭✭✭

@WingedLiberty1957 said:
    Not the cheapest, but the safest in terms of avoiding fakes? Are there known companies that have a direct pipeline to the Mint? That is they dont buy from wholesalers but from a direct distributor?

Yes, you can buy from the Authorized Purchasers. If you want a few coins go with APMEX, a box of 500 Fidelitrade, or many many boxes A-Mark.

• Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 4, 2018 4:41PM

@djm said:

@WingedLiberty1957 said:

Yes, you can buy from the Authorized Purchasers. If you want a few coins go with APMEX, a box of 500 Fidelitrade, or many many boxes A-Mark.

You can add: baypreciousmetals (ebay handle) who is an AP to that list, along with: bullion.exchanges (ebay handle, but not an AP) JMBullion and Providentmetals. And you don't have to buy a "monster box" either. B)

"Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    Mission16Mission16 Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭

But wouldn't the AP's also buy and sell the secondary market? Just because they buy direct from the mint doesn't mean that is the ONLY supply they have.

• Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,203 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Mission16 said:
    But wouldn't the AP's also buy and sell the secondary market? Just because they buy direct from the mint doesn't mean that is the ONLY supply they have.

But their supply from the mint is their cheapest vs. current spot which means you can theoretically get a better price from an AP who is selling their mint purchased inventory.

Keep an open mind, or get financially repressed -Zoltan Pozsar

• Options

@derryb said:

@Mission16 said:

But their supply from the mint is their cheapest vs. current spot which means you can theoretically get a better price from an AP who is selling their mint purchased inventory.

Not necessarily. My cheapest supply is what comes in the front door.

• Options
    hchcoinhchcoin Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have never worried about silver eagles being counterfeit. Has anyone here been burned buying fake bullion SAE's?

• Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,987 ✭✭✭✭✭

@derryb said:

@Mission16 said:

They'll pay you less for 2018s than they will from the mint. Also everything they buy that isn't in a mint strapped monster box is likely checked.

• Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,294 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well, yeah, as a dealer, you can do the little rips on them ;)

@Jinx86 said:

@derryb said:

@Mission16 said:

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

:) !!!

Timbuk3
  • Options
    Mission16Mission16 Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭

The OP wasn’t asking about cheapest. The concern was exposure to counterfeits.

• Options

The thing about it is Ive never had a roll or box of counterfeit ASE's. The only time we see them is individual packaging to try and hide the off weight or off material.

• Options

Any one dealing in counterfeit US produced coins, is asking for trouble. Not so much for foreign produced ones.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have never seen counterfeit ASE's from an established dealer.... Now, normally, for proofs, I would get mine from the mint, but bullion, a good dealer will provide authentic silver. Cheers, RickO

• Options

How old is this video?

• Options
    blitzdudeblitzdude Posts: 5,452 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 5, 2018 4:31PM

@hchcoin said:
    I have never worried about silver eagles being counterfeit. Has anyone here been burned buying fake bullion SAE's?

yep, I got fake 2017s off ebay. Seller posted pictures of real and sent me silver plated brass garbage.

The whole worlds off its rocker, buy Gold™.

• Options
    edited March 5, 2018 4:35PM

The fakes I received were fairly easy to spot. Lady at one of my LCS showed me some fake silver eagles she recently got burned on that looked a whole lot better than the ones I received off ebay. Hers came from a seller who walked in the front door.

• Options

@blitzdude said:

@hchcoin said:

yep, I got fake 2017s off ebay. Seller posted pictures of real and sent me silver plated brass garbage.

How about supplying us with the dealers ebay id & auction #

• Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,458 ✭✭✭✭✭

APMEX and Modern Coin Mart are my usual sources for ASE and Libertads. I don't do the Proofs though

• Options
    astroratastrorat Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭✭✭

JM Bullion, APMEX, and Modern Coin Mart are all just fine.

Numismatist Ordinaire
    See http://www.doubledimes.com for a free online reference for US twenty-cent pieces
  • Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,373 ✭✭✭✭✭

JM Bullion, APMEX, Modern Coin Mart, Scotsman Coin - no concerns.

Has anyone ever bought directly from Kitco? Are there customs costs that prohibit them from making a competitive quote, because they appear to be lower than Apmex, at least on Maples.

Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options

@Bochiman said:
    Well, yeah, as a dealer, you can do the little rips on them ;)

@Jinx86 said:

@derryb said:

@Mission16 said:

It's pretty unusual to find a dealer who will pay the $2 over that the mint charges. Right now there is one AP paying $1 over on MBs of 2018 or earlier dates.

• Options

APMEX will pay: 1 oz Silver American Eagle BU (Random Year) $17.77
    Provident Metals: 1 oz American Silver Eagle | Random Year....BUY BACK PRICE: $17.52
    JMbullion: 1 oz American Silver Eagle Coin (Varied Year).............Buyback Price: $17.72

Those are best prices I could find.

• Options

@OPA said:
    APMEX will pay: 1 oz Silver American Eagle BU (Random Year) $17.77
    Provident Metals: 1 oz American Silver Eagle | Random Year....BUY BACK PRICE: $17.52
    JMbullion: 1 oz American Silver Eagle Coin (Varied Year).............Buyback Price: $17.72

Those are best prices I could find.

Wasn't THAT long ago that JMBullion wouldn't buy from the public. Maybe they still don't.

• Options

@OPA said:

@blitzdude said:

@hchcoin said:

It was an individual not a dealer out of Minnesota. He gave me a full refund so don't want to give out ID. He obviously knew they were fake because he shipped different coins than what were pictured and the second I told him they were fake he issued immediate refund without asking any questions. I opened a ebay case prior to contacting the seller and their solution...... return the counterfeits to seller so they could issue refund. Seriously, they didn't care at all that there were counterfeits involved just that seller and I worked out the refund.

• Options

@blitzdude said:

@OPA said:

@blitzdude said:

@hchcoin said:

It was an individual not a dealer out of Minnesota. He gave me a full refund so don't want to give out ID. He obviously knew they were fake because he shipped different coins than what were pictured and the second I told him they were fake he issued immediate refund without asking any questions. I opened a ebay case prior to contacting the seller and their solution...... return the counterfeits to seller so they could issue refund. Seriously, they didn't care at all that there were counterfeits involved just that seller and I worked out the refund.

Do eBayers really expect eBay to go to the trouble/expense of authenticating everything that gets sold there? What did you expect from them in terms of caring?

• Options

@BAJJERFAN said:

Do eBayers really expect eBay to go to the trouble/expense of authenticating everything that gets sold there? What did you expect from them in terms of caring?

I would expect that they or some US authority would care that someone was passing fake US Mint silver eagles as authentic on their site. There was a time in this country when the secret service used to care about such matters. Those times appear long gone. Certainly I didn't expect them to say, well just return the fakes to the seller, let them issue a refund and then he can go sell them off to someone else.

• Options

BTW as I mentioned in a previous post, mine were easy to spot. The ones I recently saw at LCS were far more convincing. In addition to obvious details the ones I received all weighed just under 30g. Brass junk. Sorry for poor phone picture quality.

• Options
    DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭✭✭

Did the head of that eagle seriously pass somebody’s mustard check??

• Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,294 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's kind of the time TO let others know the ID....if the seller was purposely selling fakes.

@blitzdude said:

@OPA said:

@blitzdude said:

@hchcoin said:

It was an individual not a dealer out of Minnesota.

He gave me a full refund so don't want to give out ID. He obviously knew they were fake because he shipped different coins than what were pictured and the second I told him they were fake he issued immediate refund without asking any questions.

I opened a ebay case prior to contacting the seller and their solution...... return the counterfeits to seller so they could issue refund. Seriously, they didn't care at all that there were counterfeits involved just that seller and I worked out the refund.

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options

@blitzdude said:

@BAJJERFAN said:

I would expect that they or some US authority would care that someone was passing fake US Mint silver eagles as authentic on their site. There was a time in this country when the secret service used to care about such matters. Those times appear long gone. Certainly I didn't expect them to say, well just return the fakes to the seller, let them issue a refund and then he can go sell them off to someone else.

I assume that they would step in and cover you if you could prove to them that the ones you got were fakes. If it happens more than once they may NARU that seller. They've shut down plenty of listings when folks here brought counterfeits to their attention.

• Options

@DrBuster said:
    Did the head of that eagle seriously pass somebody’s mustard check??

not to my knowledge, maybe the sellers if he really didn't know but I suspect he probably did.

• Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,373 ✭✭✭✭✭

It sure would be nice to know the ID of that seller. Getting a full refund shouldn’t influence whether or not he gets outed.

Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options

@jmski52 said:
    It sure would be nice to know the ID of that seller. Getting a full refund shouldn’t influence whether or not he gets outed.

I periodically check his account. He hasn't sold another coin since the ones he sold to me. I can't say for 100% certainty that he knowingly sold fakes although there are multiple red flags. Not going to smear someone's name if there is any doubt. Interesting enough since the incident with me he has received feedback as a buyer from Apmex, Liberty coin, Bullion exchanges etc. Looks like he is actively buying metal.

• Options
    1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes @DrBuster , that head looks more like an owl than our American Eagle :smile:

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,537 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 12, 2018 10:05AM

Check the BST for great deals and you'll be helping a fellow member.
    bob

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options

@AUandAG said:
    bob

Took a look but didn't see any eagles for sale.

• Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,537 ✭✭✭✭✭

I guess you didn't look very closely....I have a roll of them up and some others.

bob :(

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,421 ✭✭✭✭✭

@blitzdude said:

@AUandAG said:
    bob

Took a look but didn't see any eagles for sale.

There's a BST Forum and there is also a monthly BST thread in the Precious Metals Forum dedicated to precious metals.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,842 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have some.