Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

1952 Topps Mantle PSA 9 Heritage Auctions

Just got a flyer today from Heritage. There's going to be a 1952 Topps Mantle PSA 9 coming up in April. I don't see the card on their site but it looks incredible on the flyer. Anyone want to guess what the final price will be. An off center PSA 8.5 just sold for $1.1 million and this one is perfectly centered.

Comments

• Options
    jfkheatjfkheat Posts: 2,722 ✭✭✭✭✭

This card belongs to Evan Mathis. It is said to be the nicest PSA 9 of the 6, I think, that exist. I think there is a good change that it will sell for more than the $4M estimate.
    James

• Options
    AANVAANV Posts: 329 ✭✭✭

He had this card on display at The National. It is every bit a PSA 9 and then some. Hard to believe that there is a better looking 1952 Topps Mantle out there.

• Options
    addicted2ebayaddicted2ebay Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 28, 2018 4:53PM

Get your popcorn ready.... WOW

I’m guessing $4,250,077

• Options
    UFFDAHUFFDAH Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭✭✭

Will be fun to watch!! $4,888,888.88

• Options
    HighGradeLegendsHighGradeLegends Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭✭

holy smokes, good luck, Evan!

• Options

Saw that card at the National. Amazing card. $ 3,777,777.

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,521 ✭✭✭✭✭

Magnificent card!

This will be more lucrative than a new contract extension signing bonus!

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    mintonlyplsmintonlypls Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 28, 2018 8:15PM

$7,777,77.77

Only for The Mick...7s are wild!

mint_only_pls
  • Options
    TomiTomi Posts: 643 ✭✭✭

Is there currently a graded card that would possibly sell for more than this PSA 9 other than his 52 PSA 10 and the T206 Wagner PSA 8?

• Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 1, 2018 2:19PM

From the mailer:

Mike
  • Options
    KendallCatKendallCat Posts: 2,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

I already sent my wife a photo from the flyer and told her I have been good this year and would be a great present for my big 5-0 this summer :D

• Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,725 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't even dream that good. :|

• Options
    VitoCo1972VitoCo1972 Posts: 6,127 ✭✭✭

If he were alive, I'd buy it, I'd crack it and get it signed :'(

• Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,017 ✭✭✭✭✭

When this sale is over and if the price paid hovers in the $4 million range, wonder if the main stream media will pick up on the story. May give a boost to the overall market in cards.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    1951WheatiesPremium1951WheatiesPremium Posts: 6,243 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Tomi said:
    Is there currently a graded card that would possibly sell for more than this PSA 9 other than his 52 PSA 10 and the T206 Wagner PSA 8?

I would think the lone PSA 10 1951 Bowman Mickey Mantle would have a pretty good chance.

Curious about the rare, mysterious and beautiful 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

• Options

A Mantle 2.5 just went for $43k in Heritage yesterday :o

• Options
    SdubSdub Posts: 736 ✭✭✭

@KendallCat said:

The last one sold for $12K a little over a month, so that is a...wow. And it's Heritage, located in Texas, and we all know what's legal there. However, that card is an incredible 2.5. It looks better than most of the 7's. Unless I'm missing some paper-loss, it's a great crack candidate and may end up being a wise purchase.

Collecting PSA 9's from 1970-1977. Raw 9's from 72-77. Raw 10's from '78-'83.
    Collecting Unopened from '72-'83; mostly BBCE certified boxes/cases/racks.
    Prefer to buy in bulk.
  • Options
    Arsenal83Arsenal83 Posts: 1,176 ✭✭✭

@KendallCat said:

WOW. Can you post a link to it or a picture please?

• Options
    georgebailey2georgebailey2 Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭

@BLUEJAYWAY said:
    When this sale is over and if the price paid hovers in the $4 million range, wonder if the main stream media will pick up on the story. May give a boost to the overall market in cards.

It may have a decent chance of getting written up in Forbes.

• Options

@Arsenal83 said:

@KendallCat said:

Here you go. Between this one selling for $43k and the PSA 9 coming up for sale I might be visiting my safe deposit box soon and getting my PSA 3 out ;)

KC!

• Options

Look at the PSA 5 from the PWCC auction right now. Can only imagine what that will bring right now with centering like that compared to the PSA 2.5 that just sold for $43K.

• Options
    DM23HOFDM23HOF Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am normally all about the 52T Mick having great centering and zero tilt, yet that Heritage 2.5 is a really, really strong card for the grade. It certainly hits the eye more like a 6-ish card, if it was raw and you had to stare at it for a few seconds and then guess a grade. Wonder what the technical flaw was. Anyways really nice card.

Instagram: mattyc_collection

• Options
    lahmejoonlahmejoon Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭

Probably some minor paper loss on the card, or a crease that doesn't affect the appearance?

• Options

• Options
    DM23HOFDM23HOF Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 3, 2018 2:14PM

Wow, a "roller press mark," per the auction description. There's a very happy buyer out there whose eyes are feasting on 60k-ish eye appeal that cost 43k. Sweet piece.

Instagram: mattyc_collection

• Options

No creases, scuffing, or paper loss that I can see from the pics. Perhaps a bit of water damage, causing a bit of rippling on the edge of the card, from being stored in a moist basement or whatever?

Gotta be some reason that beautiful card is in a 2.5 holder.

• Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

@stevek said:
    No creases, scuffing, or paper loss that I can see from the pics. Perhaps a bit of water damage, causing a bit of rippling on the edge of the card, from being stored in a moist basement or whatever?

Upper right corner in the back scan looks like it might possibly be missing some paper?

On the other hand, Evan's PSA 9 looks like a 10 to me.

• Options
    HighGradeLegendsHighGradeLegends Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭✭

Just saw a Forbes story posted online about this card. I think it's great press for the hobby, good luck Evan!

• Options

@Tabe said:

@stevek said:

Upper right corner in the back scan looks like it might possibly be missing some paper?

On the other hand, Evan's PSA 9 looks like a 10 to me.

Would take some mighty big stones to crack that 9 and send it in hoping for a 10.

Not that there's any chance for an 8, I'd just be afraid of the card getting lost or something.

• Options
    secretstashsecretstash Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭✭

Why is Evan selling? Did he have his sites set on a 10 I wonder? He claimed to not be in the selling market unless he had a 1up to the card in question, especially being a staple in the hobby of which he wants the very best of the best....so I am curious, what card he trumped it with?

• Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

Maybe he talked Kendrick out of his Wagner.

• Options
    KbKardsKbKards Posts: 1,782 ✭✭✭

The "roller mark" on the 2.5 is on the front in the left side blue area running vertically. If you look at the high resolution picture on the Heritage site you can see several white spots running vertically in that area where it has affected the surface of the card.

• Options
    flatfoot816flatfoot816 Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭

...great article in Forbes on this very card...CPAMike will be happy to chime in on the convo I am sure

super pic Mike!!

https://www.forbes.com/sites/davidseideman/2018/03/06/the-mystery-mickey-mantle-card-owner-is-a-popular-super-bowl-champion/#73a42dd96662

• Options
    Arsenal83Arsenal83 Posts: 1,176 ✭✭✭

@KendallCat said:

@Arsenal83 said:

@KendallCat said:

Here you go. Between this one selling for $43k and the PSA 9 coming up for sale I might be visiting my safe deposit box soon and getting my PSA 3 out ;)

KC!

Thank you KC

• Options

Hi again everyone.

I am looking forward to seeing what this Mickey Mantle sells for as I have 2 of the 6 PSA 9s that exist. They are part of my late husband’s collection.

I did not realize they were potentially so valuable so I have now taken the proper measures to protect them prior to sale.

Best of luck to Mr. Mathis, I am sure it will legitimately sell for an amazing amount.

God bless,
    Jenny

Jenny
  • Options
    georgebailey2georgebailey2 Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭

@JennyF said:
    Hi again everyone.

I am looking forward to seeing what this Mickey Mantle sells for as I have 2 of the 6 PSA 9s that exist. They are part of my late husband’s collection.

I did not realize they were potentially so valuable so I have now taken the proper measures to protect them prior to sale.

Best of luck to Mr. Mathis, I am sure it will legitimately sell for an amazing amount.

God bless,
    Jenny

Roshambo! Could this be a clue?

• Options

And the bidding begins. Just under $2,000,000. This will be fun.

• Options

Anybody got a few million they can lend me? I can put up my house, my car, and my kidneys for collateral.

• Options
    frankhardyfrankhardy Posts: 8,046 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 25, 2018 7:06AM

Not counting this card, what is the record price for a baseball card? Didn't the PSA 8 Wagner sell for $2 million? If so, doesn't this set a record? Also, aren't there 3 PSA 10 Mantles out there somewhere?

Shane

• Options
    ergoismergoism Posts: 315 ✭✭✭

@frankhardy said:
    Not counting this card, what is the record price for a baseball card? Didn't the PSA 8 Wagner sell for $2 million? If so, doesn't this set a record? Also, aren't there 3 PSA 10 Mantles out there somewhere?

Goldin sold a PSA 5MC Wagner for 3.12m which is the current record.

• Options

I may put in a snipe for 4 million, and if i win the bid, I plan on immediately starting a GoFundMe page asking the generous, kind, warm & wonderful baseball card loving American public to please help me pay for this card.

• Options
    maddux69maddux69 Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here is a wild idea, what if there was a "set break" for a chance to win the card. Slots coule be sold at $1000 a piece and cap the number at 4,000 sold. If you don't win the Mantle you would receive something else of minimal value. I know I would buy that lottery ticket!

• Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 27, 2018 6:08PM

I was just thinking.

Topps and others have no compunction about taking a Ty Cobb jersey and chopping it into little pieces?

They might want to consider taking a 52T card...

1. Trim off the white border
    2. Chop it into 30 small squares

and embed them into a 1952 Mantle Tribute Card - for those who can't afford? A chance to own a "little piece" of the iconic Mick 52 card.

They'll be numbered 1/30, 2/30, 3/30.....30/30. Of course the 7/30 will command a little premium?

Mike
  • Options
    edited March 27, 2018 7:02PM

@Stone193 said:
    I was just thinking.

Topps and others have no compunction about taking a Ty Cobb jersey and chopping it into little pieces?

They might want to consider taking a 52T card...

1. Trim off the white border
    2. Chop it into 30 small squares

and embed them into a 1952 Mantle Tribute Card - for those who can't afford? A chance to own a "little piece" of the iconic Mick 52 card.

They'll be numbered 1/30, 2/30, 3/30.....30/30. Of course the 7/30 will command a little premium?

The only problem is with my luck, the chances of finding one in a $19.99 Topps blaster is virtually zero. So if the card sold for 4 million, a 1/30 "1952 Mantle Tribute Card" would be worth over 133k and that 7/30 might sell for over 500k. Not possible for me to afford that. Now maybe if they took one of the 1/30, and cut that up into 1,000 pieces and perhaps named it the "1952 Mantle Tribute Micro-Card", that I could possibly afford, and would cherish it with all my heart. :D

• Options

It's been sitting there at $1,900,000 for a while now...with 5 days left to go.

The final hour of this should be most interesting.

• Options

Nice to see it finally break the 2 million dollar mark (without buyer's premium)

3 days to go.

• Options
    PADIdiverPADIdiver Posts: 133 ✭✭✭

I wonder how many people will be following the last hour of the auction... I for one will be trying to!

• Options

@PADIdiver said:
    I wonder how many people will be following the last hour of the auction... I for one will be trying to!

I think the easier question may be who isn't going to be following it?

How can ya beat this for theater and entertainment for those such as me who can't even afford to buy a 1952 Mantle reprint. ;)