Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

What is there that's so appealing about REAL OGH's?? 1856 NEWP.

LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,294 ✭✭✭✭✭

The real OGH's are so much more appealing than the retro holders, especially this generation with the smaller numbers.

This NEWP arrived last week.

"My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.

Comments

• Options
    MeltdownMeltdown Posts: 8,673 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 27, 2018 9:57AM

Interesting coin for sure! PF60 tends to pose some question. Is it just hazy? Hairlined? How's the luster? I love the detail, it'd look great in a type set album but NO WAY can you crack that out. (not that you would)
    Very cool.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice Flying Eagle cent...I am not a slab collector, so do not have any emotional attachment to the OGH.... so let me say here... that might upgrade if resubmitted. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have to ask:
    What is holding it back from a higher grade?

Frank

BHNC #203

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Treashunt said:
    I have to ask:
    What is holding it back from a higher grade?

The coin looks to hazy. Look at most of the area on the obverse around the eagle. These coins were made as Proofs. Only the protected areas around the letters appear to have brighter surfaces.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,695 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very cool indeed! I recently got a $10 Indian in one of those holders. I am really fond of them, too.

• Options

The coin looks to hazy. Look at most of the area on the obverse around the eagle. These coins were made as Proofs. Only the protected areas around the letters appear to have brighter surfaces.

That's what attracted me initially - had the satiny look of an S3 rather than typical, more common proof.

"My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options
    TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great coin, great history

Frank

BHNC #203

• Options
    EagleEyeEagleEye Posts: 7,676 ✭✭✭✭✭

Snow-2. Only 7 known. Notice how the dies are paired so the eagle flies upward.

Rick Snow, Eagle Eye Rare Coins, Inc.Check out my new web site:
  • Options

Geez Rick, you're ruining my thunder. :D

• Options
    EagleEyeEagleEye Posts: 7,676 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    CryptoCrypto Posts: 3,415 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 27, 2018 4:02PM

Ogh 56 FE, dream coin from my youth. Really cool. Has a look of a later restrikes

• Options
    topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

Since OGH's are scarcer than the newer stuff, it implies more rarity and "rarity" is all I'm about.

or something. :/

• Options
    stevebensteveben Posts: 4,596 ✭✭✭✭✭

nice coin!

i agree with you, but when you can't have a real ogh, the retro holders are the next best thing.

gold coins especially look better with a green label:

• Options
    ElcontadorElcontador Posts: 7,425 ✭✭✭✭✭

I will not buy a pre 1815 copper unless it is in an original OGH.

"Vou invadir o Nordeste,
    "Seu cabra da peste,
    "Sou Mangueira......."
  • Options
    Wabbit2313Wabbit2313 Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

Tough date! Nice!

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,822 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice coin! The one coin I always wanted.

• Options
    BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,413 ✭✭✭✭✭

The OGH layout is a lot better. I don't like the way PCGS is on the same line as the grade now.

I also like the green color better.

Is buy the holder, not the coin true?

Pete

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon
  • Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,915 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like the solid gaskets like the older PCGS slabs had...not a fan of the "prongs".

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,886 ✭✭✭✭✭

Awesome cent in any holder!

WTG!

• Options
    ECHOESECHOES Posts: 2,974 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice :#

~HABE FIDUCIAM IN DOMINO III V VI / III XVI~
    POST NUBILA PHOEBUS / AFTER CLOUDS, SUN
    Love for Music / Collector of Dreck
  • Options
    boiler78boiler78 Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭✭✭

Personally I think the green labels are reminiscent of currency and subconsciously they "fit' better with coins.
    Especially with gold.

• Options

Personally I think the green labels are reminiscent of currency and subconsciously they "fit' better with coins.
    Especially with gold.

Hadn't thought of it that way - you might be on to something there. :+1:

• Options
    Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,152 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 1, 2018 11:54AM

Agree with boiler78.....my only slabbed gold is in an OGH.
    A bullion guy at FUN had generic $20 St Gaudens in various holders at all the same price. That OGH really stood out from the rest of the pack....I couldn’t help myself.

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file