Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

I love the 1980s! The ultimate unopened rip quest to build Topps, Fleer, Donruss PSA 10 sets...

Comments

• Options

Excited to see the rest of the '92 Donruss boxes - fingers crossed for an Elite (or god forbid Ripken Signature!)

• Options
    jordangretzkyfanjordangretzkyfan Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

1986 Fleer are tough, given they’re prone to edge chipping. No Canseco RC this round, but there were a few contenders. Here are the piles that keep building in less than PSA 10 condition...

Here are the 3 candidates for PSA 10, headlined by the Guillen RC...

• Options

@GColton48 said:
    Excited to see the rest of the '92 Donruss boxes - fingers crossed for an Elite (or god forbid Ripken Signature!)

Odds are not in my favor to pull an Elite, but I love your spirit. Here goes box #5 from the case...

• Options

@jordangretzkyfan said:

@GColton48 said:

Odds are not in my favor to pull an Elite, but I love your spirit. Here goes box #5 from the case...

The odds aren't for sure, but I've got my fingers crossed for you! I finally pulled a Frank Thomas Elite out of a box a few months back, after breaking dozens and dozens of boxes over the years. Like finding a diamond in the coal mine...

• Options

Glad to hear of your luck...and Frank Thomas would be my dream pull. Congrats! No such luck in box #5. Now that I think of it, I have yet to even pull the Thomas Diamond King...

• Options

@jordangretzkyfan said:
    Glad to hear of your luck...and Frank Thomas would be my dream pull. Congrats! No such luck in box #5. Now that I think of it, I have yet to even pull the Thomas Diamond King...

Thanks - couldn't believe my luck either. Keep busting that case - excited to see what else pops out. Fun to see regardless!

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,347 ✭✭✭✭✭

Elite, elite, elite, elite, elite.............

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options

Time to go back to where it all began for me. 1987 Topps...

• Options

Rick Leach, Rick Leach, Rick Leach, Rick Leach,.....oh wait, Barry Bonds, Barry Bonds, Barry Bonds, Barry Bonds...........

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options

Such a tough set to find in perfect condition. Funny how 500 untouched cards typically yield only 1 candidate for PSA 10. At least it was a good one this time. Unfortunately, it wasn’t Rick Leach or Barry Bonds 🙃

Here are the stars and rookies that continue to pile up from my rips...

Even when OC, always fun to pull these key cards...

Here was the lone candidate for PSA 10. At least it was a guy we all know and love...

• Options

The hunt for Elite continues with box #6 from the case...

• Options

Now I am wondering if/when I will simply hit a Frank Thomas DK in this case!?!? Here are the stars, rookies and DKs that were in this box...

• Options

Who else is ready for some football!?!? Looking forward to the start of the NFL season today and my fantasy football team bringing me home some hardware this season. In that spirit, I thought it only fitting to rip some 80’s football today. Here goes a box of the rookie loaded 1982 Topps...

• Options
    lwehlerslwehlers Posts: 876 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jordangretzkyfan said:
    Who else is ready for some football!?!? Looking forward to the start of the NFL season today and my fantasy football team bringing me home some hardware this season. In that spirit, I thought it only fitting to rip some 80’s football today. Here goes a box of the rookie loaded 1982 Topps...

hopefully a nice taylor and lott come out the box.

• Options
    lwehlerslwehlers Posts: 876 ✭✭✭✭✭

@lwehlers said:

@jordangretzkyfan said:

hopefully a nice taylor and lott come out the box.

how much do 82 topps football vending boxes go for with four hall of fame rookies in the set it has to be alot now with the way the unopened box market is going for now.

• Options

@lwehlers said:

how much do 82 topps football vending boxes go for with four hall of fame rookies in the set it has to be alot now with the way the unopened box market is going for now.

Vending for any year of football are pretty tough to track down these days. They are going for around $350-400 when legit ones come up. As always, vending is a complete roll of the dice. This was no exception. Here are the stars and rookies in the box...

Here were the key cards in the box. Sadly, no base LT was found this round. A couple of Lott RCs and some nice Montana 2nd year were unearthed though...

Was happy to find 13 candidates for PSA 10 in this rip...

• Options
    SumoMenkoManSumoMenkoMan Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭

Awesome...still one of the best threads on this forum! When you send in for grading, you might just break the internet! Keep the rips coming!

• Options

Back to my beloved 1987 Topps. Man these cards are hard to find perfect!!

• Options

Bonds, Bonds, Bonds, Bonds, Bonds, Bonds, Bonds, Bonds,.....................

• Options

Bonds, Bonds, Bonds, Bonds, Bonds, Bonds, Bonds, Bonds,.....................

• Options

Yowza...this set is a nightmare to find perfection. Here are the massive piles of stars and rookies from multiple cases I have broken...

Some would say box had the “other” Barry, but LarkinCollector would say it had “THE” Barry...

There was only 1 candidate for PSA 10 in this box. At least it is a cool looking card...

• Options

Some of the leaders cards are near impossible to find centered.

Thought many were POOR choices of players representing team leaders. :-(

• Options

The journey for a pack pulled Elite continues with box #7 from the case...

• Options

No love on finding an Elite, but I am happy that I am off the Frank Thomas DK drought...

• Options

In the mood to hunt for Jose still. Since I didn’t have any luck with 1986 Fleer, I am going to try the Donruss route...

• Options
    erbaerba Posts: 286 ✭✭✭✭

@jordangretzkyfan said:
    No love on finding an Elite, but I am happy that I am off the Frank Thomas DK drought...

I mean, gotta take that as a victory in this case.

• Options

@jordangretzkyfan said:

argh - still got the fingers crossed for the next one!

• Options
    daltexdaltex Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jordangretzkyfan said:

Is that the third Scott Sanderson, or am I just miscounting?

• Options

The 1986 hunt for Jose finally paid off. While not perfect, it is still a thrill to pull this card, since it was THE card to own if you were a kid collector in 1988-1989. Here are the stars and rookies in these 3 racks...

And of course the pencil thin mustache himself...

I was very happy to find 5 candidates for PSA 10 in these racks. They were just the wrong Rated Rookies...

• Options

@erba said:

I mean, gotta take that as a victory in this case.

Yes sir...I will take a nice Thomas DK any day!

@GColton48 said:

argh - still got the fingers crossed for the next one!

Appreciate it. I won’t give up easily 😉

@daltex said:

Is that the third Scott Sanderson, or am I just miscounting?

Yes...it is a race between a Scott Sanderson and DK checklist “hot case!”

Thanks to all those who continue to follow this journey and comment along the way!

• Options

Glad to see the Thomas and Canseco!

Too bad the Jose is not centered a little better.

I'm really starting to like the look of those 1992 Diamond Kings.

• Options

Good luck !

• Options

This set really is a work of art and perfect examples pop when you find them. Thankfully this box yielded lots of high grade cards. First, here are the piles of 1989 UD stars and rookies that I have pulled from my breaks over the years...

I did land a very nice Griffey, Jr. RC in this box, but centering will keep it in the PSA 8-9 range. Still, always a rush of adrenaline pulling this card...

There were a solid 35 candidates for PSA 10 in this rip...

• Options
    NJ80sBBCNJ80sBBC Posts: 721 ✭✭✭✭

Awesome rips Chris. The Canseco is simply an epic card that brings back 88-89 like few can. I didn’t pack pull One until I got back in the game in 2011/2012. My bro in law and me were ripping a couple boxes with beers and we both hit one. Our wives just stood there shaking their heads watching us go nuts in celebration. Back then boxes were routinely available at $25-30 per.

John

Conundrum - Loving my unopened baseball card collection....but really like ripping too
  • Options

@NJ80sBBC said:
    Awesome rips Chris. The Canseco is simply an epic card that brings back 88-89 like few can. I didn’t pack pull One until I got back in the game in 2011/2012. My bro in law and me were ripping a couple boxes with beers and we both hit one. Our wives just stood there shaking their heads watching us go nuts in celebration. Back then boxes were routinely available at $25-30 per.

John

Love memories like that John. I’m sure your wives were nodding their heads about how lucky they are to have husbands with such a sexy hobby! “Chicks dig the long ball” -Greg Maddux

Funny that 1986 Donruss wax boxes were still only $25-30 eighteen months ago. The 80s are on fire right now. Glad we stocked up when we did...these prices make me look even crazier to be ripping 🤣

• Options

Week 2 of the NFL season is upon us. Loved Montana, Rice, Barry Sanders and Emmitt as a kid. Would be insane to pull a Montana AUTO from a box one day! Also love the Barry and Emmitt holograms from this set...

• Options

Always a fun rip. Here were the stars and rookies in this box. The Emmitt looks like a solid PSA 10 candidate, so it will go in the sub pile...

Every time I see the Montana painting in a pack, my heart skips hoping it is the auto. No such luck...

• Options

That Emmitt is a beaut!

• Options

Here goes box #8 from the case...

• Options

Still no luck on the Elite, but the Diamond Kings checklist jackpot continues. Makes me wonder if it was double printed or if I am just the lucky beneficiary of this epic run...

This Griffey looks spot on to me, so it is going in the grading pile...

• Options

Nice Griffey!

• Options
    bensiebensie Posts: 59 ✭✭
    edited September 25, 2020 1:42AM

I'm really digging the 1990s diversion. I loved those 92 diamond Kings when I was a kid. Do you have any 92 triple play? The gallery of stars cards in that set are also among my favorites.

• Options
    edited September 25, 2020 3:31AM

@bensie said:
    I'm really digging the 1990s diversion. I loved those 92 diamond Kings when I was a kid. Do you have any 92 triple play? The gallery of stars cards in that set are also among my favorites.

Thanks! Some of the early 90’s stuff has been a fun and quick rip, since I am not interested in building perfect sets. Much easier to go through a box when you only care about the key stars and inserts. I never put away any Triple Play, but I agree the set had a clean look. Thanks for the comment.

Time to get back to what this thread is all about...finding perfect examples from the 80s. Here goes another 1987 Topps vending box...

• Options

Barry....Mark......Jose! Barry....Mark......Jose! Barry....Mark......Jose!

• Options
    edited September 25, 2020 11:43AM

Well that box came up empty. Not a single candidate for PSA 10 to be found in the 500 factory fresh cards. That’s what keeps this chase interesting. Here are the massive and growing piles of the stars and rookies from my breaks...

Here are the three key cards I pulled from this box, but none worthy of perfection...

• Options

Still in a 1987 mood, but this time going to try the Topps Traded sets...

• Options

That was much better than my luck with the base set. Here are the key cards in the set that missed the mark...

Neither Maddux is worthy of perfection...

I am happy with these 4 candidates for PSA 10 though. I have always liked the Matt Williams XRC and the Reardon is a cool card too...

• Options
    NGS428NGS428 Posts: 2,286 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice 87 TT Williams!

• Options

Ouch on the vending, but nice comeback on the TT sets.

Two Twins! We're trying to help you out buddy ;-)