Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

I love the 1980s! The ultimate unopened rip quest to build Topps, Fleer, Donruss PSA 10 sets...

Comments

• countdouglascountdouglas Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭✭✭

@In4apenny said:

@jordangretzkyfan said:
    Work kept getting in my way today! This is a tough set when you are seeking perfection. Here are the stars and rookies that miss the mark...

Pulled these key RCs, but none are PSA 10 worthy...

Here is the lone candidate for perfection...

Went to a card shop today to pickup a pack of top loaders, 1ea 800 count storage box. Picked up one 87 Topps vending box.
    Pulled a Will Clark that looks 10 worthy plus about 6 to 8 commons that could be 10s also. This box had all the all stars except the Keith Hernandez. The Barry Bonds had the error. I think I will go back and pick up some more as he had 4 more.
    Most of the all stars were off except the Dan Plesac, excellent centering.

I don't believe that a Barry Bonds exists without the "error", if you're referring to his card number and the chopped off 3. That's just something that eBay sellers like to hype up, when in reality, it's just an uncorrected printing defect that adds no value.

• jordangretzkyfanjordangretzkyfan Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭✭✭

@In4apenny said:

Went to a card shop today to pickup a pack of top loaders, 1ea 800 count storage box. Picked up one 87 Topps vending box.
    Pulled a Will Clark that looks 10 worthy plus about 6 to 8 commons that could be 10s also. This box had all the all stars except the Keith Hernandez. The Barry Bonds had the error. I think I will go back and pick up some more as he had 4 more.
    Most of the all stars were off except the Dan Plesac, excellent centering.

Nice hit on the Will Clark. Still love the look of that RC. Landing 7-9 card as candidates is solid for 1987 Topps and a fairly cheap break. Thanks for sharing the results and good luck on the other boxes if you buy them! Let us know the results.

Also, countdouglas is correct. The 3 is always cropped on the back of the Bonds RC. Still an iconic rookie regardless.

• In4apennyIn4apenny Posts: 298 ✭✭✭

I went back and picked up the rest. They were a little less than the internet, happy to support the store front card shops.
    I will open one this week, the rest when I get the itch. Thanks for the Bonds info. Gotta sort the 6 or 7 loose leaf binders that we put together 30 years ago (where did the time go).

In4apenny has me thinking about 1987 Topps this morning...

• JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,171 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hoping for a nice Bonds, Canseco, McGwire or a nice Ken Landreaux, Willie Upshaw or Rick Leach!

Good luck!!!!

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set

Another tough condition box. Centering continues to be a consistent challenge for 1987 Topps. No contenders for PSA 10 in this box, but still a fun rip. Here are the stars and rookies...

• tulsaboytulsaboy Posts: 281 ✭✭✭

As a kid I started with 1986 Topps. When the gold cup and future stars rookies came out in 1987, they were wonderful to see. I remember not really caring which one I got at the time, it was just cool to get them. I mean, who wouldn't want to grab 5 or 6 extra Robby Thompsons, right? :)
    kevin

@tulsaboy said:
    As a kid I started with 1986 Topps. When the gold cup and future stars rookies came out in 1987, they were wonderful to see. I remember not really caring which one I got at the time, it was just cool to get them. I mean, who wouldn't want to grab 5 or 6 extra Robby Thompsons, right? :)
    kevin

Amen Kevin. It seemed like I hit the Bruce Ruffin rookie cup in every 1987 Topps pack I opened 🤣. I still love the 1990 Topps Griffey rookie cup despite it not being his rookie card!

Work has been crushing me lately. Looking forward to having next week off to resume some good old ripping. Here goes a 1989 Topps vending box to get things started. Don’t worry, I have a few monsters that I will throw in the break pile for next week too 😉

Another miss while hunting for perfect examples. Not a single candidate for PSA 10 in this box either. Still plenty of childhood memories though. Here were the notable cards...

• tkerstingtkersting Posts: 136 ✭✭✭

Love this thread. Come on Rickey. Nicely centered, sharp corners and no snow.

• nam812nam812 Posts: 10,531 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good luck on the 1980 vending box. I dont think anyone has asked yet, but where/how are you storing all these opened cards?

Wow! Can't wait!!!!!! :-)

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set

@nam812 said:
    Good luck on the 1980 vending box. I dont think anyone has asked yet, but where/how are you storing all these opened cards?

I put the PSA 10 candidates into CardSavers and store in double row shoeboxes until grading submission. I store the stacks of pack fresh rookies and key stars in 3200 count storage boxes. I put the elite RCs from each year in CS and also put those in two row shoeboxes. I love pulling out stacks of Bo, Gwynn, Mattingly, Canseco, Griffey and other RCs and just staring at my childhood heroes. For the commons that don’t have a shot at PSA 10, the are recycled to help save future trees 😉

• thehallmarkthehallmark Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭

I admire your lack of rage over no Rickey in that box! Better luck next time.

• NJ80sBBCNJ80sBBC Posts: 720 ✭✭✭✭

Whoa! 1980T rip! Chris, you are legit man. That’s awesome.

I have never ripped even a single pack, tho now you have me thinking.

Too bad on the rickey, but you havesome blazers there for sure!

Conundrum - Loving my unopened baseball card collection....but really like ripping too
  • softparadesoftparade Posts: 9,267 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 21, 2020 2:26PM

WOW 1980 Topps! You were really lulling me to sleep with all the football and post 80's stuff LOL
    Epic! What A BALLSY RIP!

ISO 1978 Topps Baseball in NM-MT High Grade Raw 3, 100, 103, 302, 347, 376, 416, 466, 481, 487, 509, 534, 540, 554, 579, 580, 622, 642, 673, 724__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ISO 1978 O-Pee-Chee in NM-MT High Grade Raw12, 21, 29, 38, 49, 65, 69, 73, 74, 81, 95, 100, 104, 110, 115, 122, 132, 133, 135, 140, 142, 151, 153, 155, 160, 161, 167, 168, 172, 179, 181, 196, 200, 204, 210, 224, 231, 240

• JBrulesJBrules Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice looking group of 80's to go for a 10. Love the Bench. Great centering on that card.

Possible 10s on three HOFers, Ryan on a leader card, and Bucky F$%^ing Dent (as he's referred to in Boston). Nice 1980 rip.

Some real beauties and top notch players too!

• daltexdaltex Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭✭✭

@nam812 said:
    Possible 10s on three HOFers, Ryan on a leader card, and Bucky F$%^ing Dent (as he's referred to in Boston). Nice 1980 rip.

And the 1984 AL MVP!

• tkerstingtkersting Posts: 136 ✭✭✭

@daltex said:

@nam812 said:

And the 1984 AL MVP!

Forgot about Willie Hernandez

• lwehlerslwehlers Posts: 860 ✭✭✭✭✭

@daltex said:

@nam812 said:

And the 1984 AL MVP!

i never could understand why the voters voted hernandez mvp to me there were great hitters who deserved it more. awarding the mvp to a pitcher is a waste that is what the cy young award is for.

• emaremar Posts: 697 ✭✭✭✭

I'm sure it's been commented here somewhere....
    Your 80s/90s pack rips probably have swayed the market on the PSA 10s as they are more elusive than collectors might have known.

Anyone notice the strong prices for the Henderson PSA 9

• @jordangretzkyfan Thank you for this public service! With the prices that some early-mid 1980s boxes are commanding I think fewer people will be ripping packs and sharing the results. I hope some of the prices will cool down after the pandemic (I would like to be able to buy 1987 Donruss again).

• jayhawkejayhawke Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭

Sweet looking ‘89 UD Griffey. I hope you get a “10”.

@Publius1787 said:
    @jordangretzkyfan Thank you for this public service! With the prices that some early-mid 1980s boxes are commanding I think fewer people will be ripping packs and sharing the results. I hope some of the prices will cool down after the pandemic (I would like to be able to buy 1987 Donruss again).

Back in the day we ripped two boxes, I slow ripped another one over time. Now I have only one left. I might bite the bullet and buy some anyway.

@thehallmark said:
    I admire your lack of rage over no Rickey in that box! Better luck next time.

Yeah, Rickey would have been sweet, but I have been at this long enough to know there is no guarantee of any one card in a single vending box. The experience of enjoying each card of the rip is what keeps me coming back 🙂

@NJ80sBBC said:
    Whoa! 1980T rip! Chris, you are legit man. That’s awesome.

I have never ripped even a single pack, tho now you have me thinking.

Too bad on the rickey, but you havesome blazers there for sure!

Thanks John. This set is beautiful and a blast to rip. Too bad prices on unopened from this year have gotten so steep!!

@softparade said:
    WOW 1980 Topps! You were really lulling me to sleep with all the football and post 80's stuff LOL
    Epic! What A BALLSY RIP!

Thanks Dan. Glad to know I woke you up again 😉

@JBrules said:
    Nice looking group of 80's to go for a 10. Love the Bench. Great centering on that card.

The Bench is my favorite of the bunch too. Love the look of the image from 1980. Thanks for posting!

@nam812 said:

I appreciate it. I felt pretty lucky with all that star talent and Bucky F&@^ing Dent too 🤣

@JoeBanzai said:
    Some real beauties and top notch players too!

Thanks Joe. Certainly a fun departure from 1987 Topps vending. Albeit I still love me some 1987 Topps!

@daltex said

And the 1984 AL MVP!

The 1984 Tigers were an insane team. Makes me want to rip some 1978 Topps to find all those iconic Tigers RCs (Trammell, Whitaker, Morris, Parrish) 👍

@emar said:
    I'm sure it's been commented here somewhere....
    Your 80s/90s pack rips probably have swayed the market on the PSA 10s as they are more elusive than collectors might have known.

Anyone notice the strong prices for the Henderson PSA 9

I agree that this thread has played a role in elevating prices on 1980’s PSA 10s. I figured others would benefit from knowing what I have realized for years. This hobby is always more fun when it can be shared. Thanks for posting! And YES...the 1980 Henderson RC is on fire in PSA 9 since 10s don’t really exist in any quantity!!

@Publius1787 said:
    @jordangretzkyfan Thank you for this public service! With the prices that some early-mid 1980s boxes are commanding I think fewer people will be ripping packs and sharing the results. I hope some of the prices will cool down after the pandemic (I would like to be able to buy 1987 Donruss again).

I love sharing this hobby, so thanks for continuing to follow. I love 1987 Donruss, so I will be sure to break some of that soon too. Was one of my first sets and the McGwire and Bo RR cards were on fire my first years of collecting.

@jayhawke said:
    Sweet looking ‘89 UD Griffey. I hope you get a “10”.

I appreciate that. It is such an iconic card and always nostalgic to pull from a pack!

Time to hunt for Jose and Freddie McGriff RCs....

@jordangretzkyfan said:

@daltex said

And the 1984 AL MVP!

The 1984 Tigers were an insane team. Makes me want to rip some 1978 Topps to find all those iconic Tigers RCs (Trammell, Whitaker, Morris, Parrish) 👍

You know, it's funny that there are two HoFers in your list, and one of them was notably worse than the two not enshrined. 1978 Topps was also Hernandez' rookie, but not in a Tigers uniform, of course.

Those packs were pretty sweet. I did pull one of the two RCs I called out. I have a soft spot for the McGriff RC, since I think he should be in the hall and it is his only card issued in 1986. Unfortunately, it was not worthy of PSA 10 centering. Here are the rookies and stars in these packs...

Was happy to land 9 candidates for PSA 10 in these 3 racks. The Schmidt and Rickey are the ones most will note, but I actually am happier about the Eric Davis. I freakin’ loved this card as a kid, since I couldn’t afford his 1985 RCs 🤣

@jordangretzkyfan said:
    .........but I actually am happier about the Eric Davis........

And somewhere in New Jersey bye bye Balboni sheds a tear.

• NJ80sBBCNJ80sBBC Posts: 720 ✭✭✭✭

Back in 86 that would have been an incredible 86D rip. Totally stacked with the best of the league! I didn’t own an 86D ED until 1989. It held a special place next to my pack pulled 85D ED. He was such a complete beast for a few years.

Conundrum - Loving my unopened baseball card collection....but really like ripping too

Did you open the pack showing the two HoFers? I don't see them among the stars and rookies.

@daltex said:
    Did you open the pack showing the two HoFers? I don't see them among the stars and rookies.

Yes, and they are helping to save trees. I don’t see much of a market for Blyleven and Sutter mid-80s cards, so I don’t keep them since they don’t have any sentimental value to me either.

• NGS428NGS428 Posts: 2,255 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jordangretzkyfan said:
    Those packs were pretty sweet. I did pull one of the two RCs I called out. I have a soft spot for the McGriff RC, since I think he should be in the hall and it is his only card issued in 1986. Unfortunately, it was not worthy of PSA 10 centering. Here are the rookies and stars in these packs...

Was happy to land 9 candidates for PSA 10 in these 3 racks. The Schmidt and Rickey are the ones most will note, but I actually am happier about the Eric Davis. I freakin’ loved this card as a kid, since I couldn’t afford his 1985 RCs 🤣

Finding these centered is tough! Been looking for a PSA 9 Canseco and McGriff. Tough to find! They are all over the board!

Nic - Amen brother!

• RoflesRofles Posts: 752 ✭✭✭✭✭

Niiiiice! Keep it rippin baby!

Early 80s football is such a fun rip. Loaded with HOFers and RCs, the 1982 Topps set is no slouch. Here are the stacks of stars and rookies that continue to build...

I pulled these 5 key RCs, but none make the mark for PSA 10. The fun with vending is that anything goes on the number you will pull of each. Luckily, I am a fan of the undervalued Lott RC...

I was pretty happy with the star power on these 5 candidates for PSA 10. Two HOF IAs and a McNeil RC...

Nice post, keep it up. Speaking football I went into the depths of the garage and found some 1990 Pro Set series 1 (6ea), 2 1990 Topps football, and 1 1990 Score football. Kinda hazy on how I got them but there they are. Did some searching and found the Pro Set on par with the 1990 Donruss baseball. I ripped one box looking for a few errors and the Lombardi Hologram. I am going to open the rest but only to see if the Lombardi is there, not even going to sort. What got me interested was that I saw the name Jack Pardee. What a stud linebacker he was for the Rams late 50s through 1970.
    My dad took me to see the Rams in 1953 when I was eight, I will never forget it. Anyway, is there any thing good in the Topps and Score?, might save some time.

@jordangretzkyfan said:

I was pretty happy with the star power on these 5 candidates for PSA 10. Two HOF IAs and a McNeil RC...

LOVE those "in action" cards. SWEET!

• SumoMenkoManSumoMenkoMan Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭

Still the best thread out there!

• @SumoMenkoMan said:
    Still the best thread out there!

ditto!

edited November 27, 2020 2:47PM

Been awhile since I hunted for some Bonds, Larkin, Bo and Maddux 1987 Donruss RCs. Here we go...

• erbaerba Posts: 285 ✭✭✭✭

Love to see you pull a Bo!

Yes, good luck!

This box was an amazing value for the money when they were selling for $15-25 over the past decade. Now closer to $75 for a box, the nostalgia remains strong, but you have to hit a RC in top shape to come out ahead. Thankfully I bought all my cases at the lower price points. This box never disappoints on iconic RCs. Here are the stars and rookies in the box...

Here are all the key cards. No PSA 10s, but some super clean 8-9s...

This year, as is typical for 1985-1989 Donruss, is a real condition challenge if you are seeking perfection. Only 3 candidates for PSA 10 in the whole box. Unfortunately, no star power this round...