Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

I love the 1980s! The ultimate unopened rip quest to build Topps, Fleer, Donruss PSA 10 sets...

Comments

• jordangretzkyfanjordangretzkyfan Posts: 2,416 ✭✭✭✭✭

That box was a strange one in that it totally missed the standard DK insertion rate of 4 per box. Oh well, at least I landed another DK checklist 😂

• @jordangretzkyfan said:
    That box was a strange one in that it totally missed the standard DK insertion rate of 4 per box. Oh well, at least I landed another DK checklist 😂

yikes - bad break on that one. and yeah, weird there's only 2 DK's... maybe that's a good omen that an elite is just around the corner!

• thehallmarkthehallmark Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭
    edited September 29, 2020 2:32PM

What has been your hit rate on Elites so far, if you had to guess?

@thehallmark said:
    What has been your hit rate on Elites so far, if you had to guess?

I am 9 boxes into a fresh case and haven’t landed a single Elite yet. I have read reports that range from estimating them at 1:20 boxes to 1:50 boxes. I have a few cases, so will try to add some data to the actual hit rate. I am guessing them in the 1:40 box rate which would be one every other case.

• erbaerba Posts: 296 ✭✭✭✭

Strange only having 2 DK's in the box. At least you'll have the market cornered the checklists.

• JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,709 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jordangretzkyfan said:

No 10 candidates either?

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
    edited September 30, 2020 10:19AM

@JoeBanzai said:
    No 10 candidates either?

Not of the key stars or RCs. I am not building the set, so didn’t bother looking at the commons.

Time to try a box of 1988 Donruss. Crazy tough set on condition, since those black and blue borders show any hint of chipping. I love the Grace RC in this set, so here is hoping for perfection...

• daltexdaltex Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jordangretzkyfan said:
    Time to try a box of 1988 Donruss. Crazy tough set on condition, since those black and blue borders show any hint of chipping. I love the Grace RC in this set, so here is hoping for perfection...

Aren't the cards really thin, too? I still have nightmares about this set, but not sure they are accurate.

@daltex said:

Aren't the cards really thin, too? I still have nightmares about this set, but not sure they are accurate.

Yep...paper thin, which adds to the condition nightmare. I actually really like the look of this set the more I rip. Classic rookies of Glavine, Alomar, Grace and Jefferies take me right back to 1988 every time. Here are the stars and rookies that missed the mark...

I was surprised to land 5 candidates for PSA 10 in this box. No star power, unless you love Julio Franco. These cards are gorgeous when they are dead nuts...

• NJ80sBBCNJ80sBBC Posts: 731 ✭✭✭✭

Nothing but great memories. First Seitzer in Donruss. And of course, Gregg Jeffries.

And most important. $.50 per pack. Like a bargain compared to the elusive 87D packs at $1.25 at LCS

Conundrum - Loving my unopened baseball card collection....but really like ripping too
  • daltexdaltex Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jordangretzkyfan said:

I was surprised to land 5 candidates for PSA 10 in this box. No star power, unless you love Julio Franco. These cards are gorgeous when they are dead nuts...

Well, it was the year with Bedrosian's Cy Young stats.

A quick rip outside of the 80s while I hunt for a perfect Frank Thomas Rookie Sensations card. I remember first seeing this card at a local mall card show in 1992 with a price tag of $100 and thinking I had to have one! After much swindling, the card was finally mine. I never appreciated how condition sensitive these are straight from the pack and the consistently terrible T/B centering. Here goes a fun rip for nostalgia sake...

A quick rip outside of the 80s while I hunt for a perfect Frank Thomas Rookie Sensations card. I remember first seeing this card at a local mall card show in 1992 with a price tag of $100 and thinking I had to have one! After much swindling, the card was finally mine. I never appreciated how condition sensitive these are straight from the pack and the consistently terrible T/B centering. Here goes a fun rip for nostalgia sake...

can't wait for this one either! i was also obsessed with the rookie sensations - that phil plantier card was the one to have!

@GColton48 said:

@jordangretzkyfan said:

can't wait for this one either! i was also obsessed with the rookie sensations - that phil plantier card was the one to have!

Saw those and immediately knew what they were! I was looking for the Chuck Knoblauch, never did find one.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set

@GColton48 said:

@JoeBanzai said:

Saw those and immediately knew what they were! I was looking for the Chuck Knoblauch, never did find one.

Love it! Yep, Plantier and Knoblauch were can’t miss prospects. That’s the best part about a “can’t miss prospect,” This box did yield a perfect Thomas, but not the one I was hoping for. I still haven’t pinpointed how many Rookie Sensations you are supposed to hit in a box, but guessing this one was on the lighter side with only two of them. Here are the stars, rookies and inserts. Was pretty happy to hit Bagwelll and always nice to pull a sub worthy Thomas card...

Time to go back to the 1987 Topps Traded set well...

Those sets were outstanding, or maybe I had too much bourbon this evening. This can be a tough set for centering and edge chipping. I was shocked to find 17 candidates for PSA 10 at first blush this round. First, here are the stars and rookies that missed the mark...

And here are the 17 contenders at first pass. I will recheck these in the morning to make sure the bourbon wasn’t clouding my better judgement...

Alright, let’s try a box of 1988 Donruss this morning...

How did the review go with the BAC closer to zero?

Serious star power right there with Williams, Nokes, Santiago and Maddux!

Conundrum - Loving my unopened baseball card collection....but really like ripping too

1988 Donruss are brutal when it comes to finding perfect examples. This box only contained 1 contender for PSA 10. Here are the piles of the stars and rookies that miss the mark...

If you are only going to land one candidate for PSA 10 in a 1988 Donruss box, this card certainly doesn’t suck as your sole contender 😎

@NJ80sBBC said:
    How did the review go with the BAC closer to zero?

Serious star power right there with Williams, Nokes, Santiago and Maddux!

I must have pretty strict standards even when sipping bourbon. I decided to throw back the Minton due to L/R centering and the Pacillo since I don’t love the top right corner. The rest will make the PSA 10 worthy pile including Maddux, Williams, Nokes, Santiago and Steinbach. Really happy to have landed many of the key cards in the set.

Let’s see if there is anything hiding in this 1989 Topps vending box that is worthy of submitting...

I always enjoy ripping 1989 Topps. Classic design, lots of stars, rookies of the past and 3 HOF RCs make for a solid set. Here are the piles that miss the mark...

I did find two Randy RCs in this box...

And typical for the year, there were only 3 candidates for PSA 10 in the entire box...

We are at the midpoint of the factory sealed case and still no Elite. Here goes box #10...

Come on ELITE!

• erbaerba Posts: 296 ✭✭✭✭

Come on DK checklist!!

@JoeBanzai said:
    Come on ELITE!

@erba said:
    Come on DK checklist!!

Come on actual insert ratio! Another odd box in the middle row of this case that only produced 2 DKs instead of the standard 4. Hope this is an omen that an Elite is buried in this case somewhere!

• NGS428NGS428 Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 9, 2020 2:03PM

@jordangretzkyfan said:

@JoeBanzai said:
    Come on ELITE!

@erba said:
    Come on DK checklist!!

Come on actual insert ratio! Another odd box in the middle row of this case that only produced 2 DKs instead of the standard 4. Hope this is an omen that an Elite is buried in this case somewhere!

No checklist! Things are looking up! Good luck on the search for the elusive elite.

• lwehlerslwehlers Posts: 901 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jordangretzkyfan said:
    We are at the midpoint of the factory sealed case and still no Elite. Here goes box #10...

maybe you need to give this case a rest for about a week or so maybe then the results will be better. so far donruss really struck out with this case so far as the diamond kings are terrible and no elite. hopefully the second half of the case is better. still fun watching you opening so far even though the results have been not so great.

Woke up in a 1990 Leaf kind of mood this morning. Here go 4 packs each of series 1 & 2. This is one of my favorite sets of all time. Such a clean design and iconic images of the 1980s and early 1990’s greats...

I love this set more every time I open them. I could never find these packs much as a kid, so ripping them is like seeing many for the very first time all over again. Here are the stars and rookies that missed the mark. Glad to see Larry Walker finally getting some well deserved hobby love...

Pretty happy to average 1 candidate for PSA 10 per pack. Decent prospect power in these 8 contenders. Ricky Jordan anyone???

Time to get back to the 80s quest. Up next is a box of 1988 Topps cello...

@jordangretzkyfan said:
    Time to get back to the 80s quest. Up next is a box of 1988 Topps cello...

the more you open 88 topps the more i am starting to like the set. other then 81 88 were my least favorite set by topps in the eighties.

edited October 10, 2020 9:55AM

@lwehlers said:

the more you open 88 topps the more i am starting to like the set. other then 81 88 were my least favorite set by topps in the eighties.

Completely with you...the 1981 and 1988 designs were the weakest of the 1980s for Topps, but nostalgic me likes them more with each rip. This box was a condition nightmare. Not a single card worthy of PSA 10 status. Here are the key cards I pulled that missed the mark...

All was not lost though. I did find this cool pack with Ryne Sandberg on top. Will add this to my stars-on-top pack collection...

I feel like I don’t have enough Brett Favre cards. Let’s face it, the guy was a beast and along with Marino became the blueprint for pass first and run second. Brett was the ultimate competitor and he just looks cool in a Packers uniform. Sure Ben Stiller cannot pronounce his name (Brett Fav-Rah) and Cameron Diaz is a Niners girl, but there is something about Brett. Decided to crack the seal on a 1992 Topps High Number Series case for some new ripping material...

Here goes the first box. The sweet part is that the high # set is only 99 cards, so there should be 5 of each card on average...

Onward to the second half of the 1992 Donruss case in search of the elusive Elite insert, or at this stage I would be happy with more Frank Thomas DK cards. Box #11...

With a double up of the Julio Franco DK in this box, I am starting to think the second half of this case will be a “hot case”...

With a double up of the Julio Franco DK in this box, I am starting to think the second half of this case will be a “hot case”...

I hope so! Fingers crossed!

Certainly has not been hot so far. Got to get better!

Alright, let’s get back to some good old 1980’s ripping. Here goes a 1987 Topps vending box...

Barry baby!

Work kept getting in my way today! This is a tough set when you are seeking perfection. Here are the stars and rookies that miss the mark...

Pulled these key RCs, but none are PSA 10 worthy...

Here is the lone candidate for perfection...

• I got started collecting when I was 11 in 1986. I was buying a few packs of Topps here and there and buying packs of stickers to fill out the album. I remember my grandmother helping me the most with the sticker collection. Once we reached the 150 sticker back number she helped me send them off along with a check she wrote for the complete 1986 Topps set offer. I still have that set and have gotten several of them autographed over the years. Thanks so much for this thread. It has brought back some great memories of my childhood.

@dawsonberg said:
    I got started collecting when I was 11 in 1986. I was buying a few packs of Topps here and there and buying packs of stickers to fill out the album. I remember my grandmother helping me the most with the sticker collection. Once we reached the 150 sticker back number she helped me send them off along with a check she wrote for the complete 1986 Topps set offer. I still have that set and have gotten several of them autographed over the years. Thanks so much for this thread. It has brought back some great memories of my childhood.

Thank you for sharing your story and welcome to the boards with your first post. I love when members share stories like these, because the nostalgia is the reason I have always stuck with collecting. Thanks for reading and following this thread. I look forward to more of your posts and hearing about your collection as it evolves.

Anyone else love 1989 Upper Deck? This iconic set changed the direction of the hobby for the first time, since 1952 Topps. It still remains one of the best designs of the 1980s and has arguably the most iconic card of the decade. I never tire of opening this year and savoring each pack just like when I was a kid...

• The photography, front and back, combined with the card stock was far and away superior to anything up to that point. I remember these being hard to find at the time. I think I only opened one pack in 1989.

Here's hoping for a Griffey!

@dawsonberg said:
    The photography, front and back, combined with the card stock was far and away superior to anything up to that point. I remember these being hard to find at the time. I think I only opened one pack in 1989.

Here's hoping for a Griffey!

i was in the army in 1989 in ft lewis wasington state. they were 2-4 dollars a pack. boxes were going for 50-70 dollars a box in the local card shops. of course griffey played for the mariners made the packs a little more then maybe in other states. how much a pack were they going for in other states i wonder.

In 89 these packs were a buck a piece at our LCS. The hi# packs were more expensive when they were released. Walton and Smith were big rookies everyone was hunting for at the time.

Great set, a ton of fun to rip, and so damn hard to get a gem Griffey.

Good luck Chris!

John