Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

I love the 1980s! The ultimate unopened rip quest to build Topps, Fleer, Donruss PSA 10 sets...

Comments

• jordangretzkyfanjordangretzkyfan Posts: 2,409 ✭✭✭✭✭

Alright...back to ripping. I’m in a Canseco mood, so let’s see what we can find in these 3 wax racks...

No Jose this round, but here were the handful of stars...

These 2 look like PSA 10 candidates at first glance...

Will rip these 1986 Donruss racks later this evening once I have some time...

Always fun to rip 1986. No Canseco’s in either set of racks, but some nice looking cards were found. Here are the stars and rookies that missed the mark...

Pretty happy to land these 7 candidates for PSA 10 in this batch of racks. Headliner is clearly the Rose...

• daltexdaltex Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well, there is a Hall of Famer there.

Time to see how 1987 Topps cello stacks up against the vending I have been ripping...

• JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,672 ✭✭✭✭✭

That will be interesting. I am curious as to how nice they are compared to Rack!

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set

Let’s try the always condition challenging 1988 Topps next...

@jordangretzkyfan said:
    This would support my past experience that rack, then cello, then wax/vending yield the best condition cards. Here are the stars and rookies that missed the mark...

Love the Sandberg card!

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set

Those 1988 can be pesky to find in GEM. Here are the stars and rookies that were in this box...

There were 5 candidates for PSA 10 and I was happy to land so many all-stars! These are a great looking subset with a throwback feel to the AS sets of the 60s...

Always liked Boggs as a kid, so this cello is staying sealed...

Time for a quick audible before getting back to ripping 80s. Found this case laying around and had the urge to hunt for a Joe Montana AUTO. Always fun to rip UD’s premiere offering. I have always liked the hologram running back inserts in this set too. Here goes a case fresh box...

edited July 19, 2020 6:39AM

Always a fun trip down memory lane. Out of the multiple, multiple early 90s UD cases I have ripped over the years across all sports, I have only ever pulled a Fergie Jenkins Heroes of Baseball AUTO out of 1991. That trend continues with this box. Here are the key stars and rookies in the box...

Here were the inserts. I always get a quick rush of hope when I pull the painting card of the Heroes set, but alas no AUTO this round either. The holograms doubled up in the box with Anderson, Butts and Brooks...

These 2 actually look like they have a shot at PSA 10, so I set them aside...

• DonyoguyDonyoguy Posts: 30 ✭✭

Dan McGwire doesn't make the key stars and rookies pile??

Still feeling the 1987 Topps, so here goes a vending box...

YES!> @jordangretzkyfan said:

Still feeling the 1987 Topps, so here goes a vending box...

That vending box was a total dud. Here were the stars and rookies that I pulled, but all missed the mark...

I did pull these 3 key RCs, but none are worthy of a PSA 10. This box didn’t have any Bonds, Bo, Clark or McGwire. Sometimes that’s the way a break goes. Thanks to those who continue to follow along...

Ouch!

@JoeBanzai said:
    Ouch!

Exactly...but I’m not going down like that. Here goes another...

Ok...slightly better round this time. Here are the stars and rookies from the box...

Pulled these key cards, but none are perfect...

Glad to have found 2 candidates for PSA 10 this round. The Ripken AS is attractive looking to me for some unknown reason. Not in a creepy stalker way, just in a forgotten card sort of way...like an ex-girlfriend...

Ripken looks great. Nice blue sky. Mazzilli centered a tad high?

Let’s hunt for a Billy Ripken FF. This box comes from an error case I cracked, so that will be the version if one is in here...

Always fun to hunt for the infamous Ripken error. This box didn’t disappoint. Here are the piles of stars and rookies that miss the mark...

The pack fresh key cards from the set...

Decent star power on the only 3 candidates for PSA 10 within this box...

• tkerstingtkersting Posts: 136 ✭✭✭

Do you happen to have the date code on the case? Looks like a full blackout Johnson version, wonder if they are all the same variation throughout the case.

• brad31brad31 Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭✭✭

Odd that the Johnson is blackout but the Ripken is F Face. Would have thought the Ripken was corrected before the Johnson was blacked out.

edited July 26, 2020 6:50PM

@tkersting said:
    Do you happen to have the date code on the case? Looks like a full blackout Johnson version, wonder if they are all the same variation throughout the case.

Case code is 90172, right at the end of the Ripken FF run. They will always be the same variations throughout this case.

@brad31 said:
    Odd that the Johnson is blackout but the Ripken is F Face. Would have thought the Ripken was corrected before the Johnson was blacked out.

Actually, the order of error variants being corrected from most rare to least is:

1) Treadway “target” error
    2) Johnson Marlboro error
    3) Ashby, Moses, Heep, Trillo “typo” back errors
    4) Ripken FF error
    5) Heath/Brookens wrong back errors
    6) Romine wrong photo error

Some of the interim Ripken corrections are obviously more rare like white scribble, airbrush and black scribble given the short print runs in early January of 1989.

Was able to enjoy a long weekend on the lake. Nice to be outside boating, tubing, surfing and just floating. Hope everyone else is finding ways to get out this summer and all are staying healthy. Time for a quick 1987 Topps vending rip. I have been averaging 0-2 candidates for PSA 10 out of each of these boxes in this case...

Always such a condition challenge! Not a single candidate for PSA 10 in these 500 untouched cards. Still a fun rip. Here are the key cards...

I opened 8 vending boxes and didn't get a well centered Bonds or Palmeiro.

Feels like a 1980s basketball kind of day. I loved the David Robinson SP RC back in the day...

Such a clean and classic design from the first year Hoops offering. Here are the stars and rookies that miss the mark...

Always a thrill to pull the Robinson SP RC. Jordan cards are always iconic pulls...

Was pretty happy with these 8 candidates for PSA 10, highlighted by a pair of Stockton cards...

• DotStoreDotStore Posts: 702 ✭✭✭✭

@jordangretzkyfan said:
    Let’s hunt for a Billy Ripken FF. This box comes from an error case I cracked, so that will be the version if one is in here...

Great thread and thanks for posting the pictures of the cards you pull :)

The print run per box was pretty certain for those '89 Fleer boxes. You almost always got one (and just one) of the Billy FF card per box.

• NJ80sBBCNJ80sBBC Posts: 727 ✭✭✭✭

Lake life! Sounds fun Chris!

I remember back in 1987 asking the owner of my local Card shop what those long blue and white boxes were behind the counter. Tommy replied that they were “vendors boxes” and had 500 cards for $7. Say no more! That was big and better per card cost than the $12 for the 87T wax box. I bought quite a few that year and built out a heckuva 87T rookie hoard for a kid just starting out. What a set!

John

Conundrum - Loving my unopened baseball card collection....but really like ripping too

@DotStore said:

@jordangretzkyfan said:

Great thread and thanks for posting the pictures of the cards you pull :)

The print run per box was pretty certain for those '89 Fleer boxes. You almost always got one (and just one) of the Billy FF card per box.

Thanks for following and commenting along the way! Yes, Fleer boxes follow a very consistent pattern and almost always yield only one of each card with typically less than 10% doubles.

@NJ80sBBC said:
    Lake life! Sounds fun Chris!

I remember back in 1987 asking the owner of my local Card shop what those long blue and white boxes were behind the counter. Tommy replied that they were “vendors boxes” and had 500 cards for $7. Say no more! That was big and better per card cost than the $12 for the 87T wax box. I bought quite a few that year and built out a heckuva 87T rookie hoard for a kid just starting out. What a set!

John

Thanks John. Hope your stash of 80s boxes continues to grow and you are finding new Fleer rack treasures. I am with you on the strange vending boxes that are aesthetically horrible, but gave a much cheaper cost per card. That was a collection building benefit to a kid of the 80s. Just wish I would have bought more 1980 vending from my LCS back in the day at $20/box. They had 1983 for $15/box too. Ah, the good old days!

Speaking of vending, I have been a sucker for 1987 lately...

This set continues to be elusive when it comes strictly to PSA 10 candidates. Here are the ones that miss the mark...

Pulled these key cards...

There was only 1 candidate for PSA 10 in this entire box. Yep, Mr. Clutterbuck...the card every kid dreamed of pulling in perfect condition!!

1987 is simply horrible, but you are REALLY having bad luck. Looks like that box had mostly low centered cards. :-(

I realize it's the wrong decade, but what are your thoughts on 1990 Topps?

@JoeBanzai said:
    1987 is simply horrible, but you are REALLY having bad luck. Looks like that box had mostly low centered cards. :-(

I realize it's the wrong decade, but what are your thoughts on 1990 Topps?

Yeah, this 1987 Topps vending case has been particularly brutal with the vast majority OC top to bottom as you suggest. Hopefully future cases yield better luck. I am only about half way through this case.

I have thought 1990 Topps was a sleeper for years. The iconic Frank Thomas RC, great Griffey rookie-cup card and the rookies of Walker, Sosa, Bernie Williams and Juan Gonzalez make this a solid set for rippers and unopened collectors. Add the small chance of landing partial blackless cards, the Thomas NNOF and a 1-2% hit rate on PSA 10 cards, and you have the makings of a set that will continue to have strong desirability. The prices on unopened have really shot up over the past 2 months. I think they still have some room to run longer term, but at $50/box and $100/box for BBCE FASC they have hit their ceiling for now in my opinion. At those prices, I would rather spend my money on 1990 Leaf boxes if I was chasing Frank Thomas RCs. I also think 1990 Bowman is a sleeper and better value currently. Bowman seems to be the hardest unopened of the Frank Thomas RCs...

• NGS428NGS428 Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭✭✭

Cutterbuck, wow, that has to be the poster child of a common card.

Love following your progress!

I would rather spend my money on 1990 Leaf boxes if I was chasing Frank Thomas RCs. I also think 1990 Bowman is a sleeper and better value currently. Bowman seems to be the hardest unopened of the Frank Thomas RCs...

Thanks for your thoughts.

I don't like how the 1990 Leaf has two series. I like ripping with a chance for all the good players. But then again a lot of the times you can get both series at the same time. Looks like the 2 box price is over $300 of late. LOVE the look of the cards!

I like the Bowman cards look as well. The price is much cheaper on those. Might have to pick up a box or two to rip.

@NGS428 said:
    Cutterbuck, wow, that has to be the poster child of a common card.

Love following your progress!

Thanks Nic! And yes, the exact definition of a beyond common of all common cards. Sorry to Bryan and his family 🤣

@JoeBanzai said:

I don't like how the 1990 Leaf has two series. LOVE the look of the cards!

I like the Bowman cards look as well. The price is much cheaper on those. Might have to pick up a box or two to rip.

Yeah. Fully agree it would be sweet to have all 528 cards in the 1990 Leaf set in one box. That would drive a much higher price for the boxes. The 1990 Leaf Thomas is so iconic though, so I think it has more room than the Topps at current box prices. The 1990 Bowman is such a forgotten set, despite having all the key RCs (Thomas, Walker, Sosa, Williams, Gonzalez) and a fraction of the Topps print run. After the mediocre success of 1989 Bowman, Topps really dialed back the print run of 1990 Bowman. I think boxes are a steal at current prices of $20/box and a fun rip too. Thanks as always for your comments!

Joe has me wanting to rip some 1990 Leaf, so that will be a plan for this weekend. Feeling like chasing a perfect Bo Jackson this evening. Here go 2 sets of 1986 Topps Traded, one of my favorite sets of the 1980s...

• LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 5, 2020 4:16PM

@jordangretzkyfan said:
    Here go 2 sets of 1986 Topps Traded, one of my favorite sets of the 1980s...

If they hadn't left out Larkin, it would be one of mine also >:) Good luck!

@LarkinCollector said:

@jordangretzkyfan said:
    Here go 2 sets of 1986 Topps Traded, one of my favorite sets of the 1980s...

If they hadn't left out Larkin, it would be one of mine also >:) Good luck!

Hadn’t thought about how sick this set would be if Larkin was in it. That would be such an iconic card. Too bad only Sportsflics added him in 1986. He is such an underrated HOFer!

Unfortunately these two sets were completely off centered. Here are the stars and rookies...

The two Bonds XRCs give you a good idea of the centering issues in these sets...

Centering on the "new" stuff just bad enough to keep 99% of star cards ungradeable. :-(

Alright. Here go two 1987 Topps Traded sets...

Tough sledding on the Topps Traded sets lately. Not a single candidate for PSA 10 in either of these sets. Here are the growing piles of stars and rookies that miss the cut...

And here were the 2 Maddux XRCs. This is pretty emblematic of the centering through these two sets...

I am drifting all over the place lately on these rips. I will rip some 1990 Leaf this weekend, since Joe has me in that mood after his 1990 Topps question. For now, I will rip this 1988 Donruss wax box and hope for some PSA 10 candidates...

• NGS428NGS428 Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hope you find a nice Alomar in there. I have had a beat up one since about 1990.

Good luck!

edited August 7, 2020 7:52PM

While always a difficult rip for high grade examples, this box did have a bright spot. First, here are the ones that miss the grade...

There were 2 contenders for PSA 10 in this box. Not sure the bottom edge of the Matt Williams SP RC will land it in a PSA 10 holder, but I am going to roll the dice, since everything else looks money...