Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

I love the 1980s! The ultimate unopened rip quest to build Topps, Fleer, Donruss PSA 10 sets...

Comments

• Options
    jordangretzkyfanjordangretzkyfan Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭✭✭

I had so much fun with the 1988s the other day, that I feel like round two is in order. Here goes another 1988 Score...

• Options
    SumoMenkoManSumoMenkoMan Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭

Still one of the best threads out there!

• Options

Always a fun rip. Here are the stars and rookies that did not make the cut...

Two classic RCs from the 1980s...

Was happy to pull 15 contenders for PSA 10, headlined by the RCs of Gant and Camaniti...

• Options

@SumoMenkoMan said:
    Still one of the best threads out there!

I appreciate that 🙂

• Options

Time for a few 1988 Donruss racks from my case...

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,388 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here's a little rip I just did. Lots of star players, glossy, small set. Noticed the Henderson card was going for $35.00-55.00 in a PSA 10.
    Sounded like fun and for under $20.00 delivered.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options

Good collation and I got lucky on the star cards 3 or 4 of all the "name" players. Only 1 Keith Hernandez, so multiples of everyone is not guaranteed.

Bad news is the cards stuck together causing two problems the card directly behind the blue ad card was stuck so bad some of the ad card tore off onto the regular card.

Next the cards also had pinkish spots on them along the top and bottom borders, (except for the cards stuck to the ad card) this looks like it comes from the back of the cards that have a pink color.

Next up, vertical print lines.

Centering was pretty bad too. Understandable with a smaller card.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options

Still a fun rip. Here's the nicest of the star cards. I got three Hendersons, three Ryans, four Ripkens (all off center) two Sandbergs. Three Gwynns all off center.

I was a little disappointed that Puckett was not included in the set, he did lead the league in at bats in 1985.

I think these are great little cards, but with all the "problems" it's going to be hard to get a 10. Does anyone know if PSA disregards the print dots? I tried to look at some 10's on ebay and couldn't tell for sure.

I am going to assume they do.

• Options

Was running around all afternoon. Here are the results of the 1988 Donruss break. Not a single candidate for PSA 10 in this 8 rack lot. Here are the stars and rookies. It was an Al Leiter hot streak...

I set aside this rack since it has Nolan glaring back at me...

• Options

Trying my luck on 8 more...

• Options

Well, this batch contained 1 candidate for PSA 10...so that is an improvement. Here are the stars and rookies...

Here is the lone contender. These cards really are beautiful when you find a perfect example...

• Options

Let’s try two more 1988 Topps Traded sets...

• Options
    softparadesoftparade Posts: 9,274 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow that '84 Fleer box was EPIC! Just saw it now.

ISO 1978 Topps Baseball in NM-MT High Grade Raw 3, 100, 103, 302, 347, 376, 416, 466, 481, 487, 509, 534, 540, 554, 579, 580, 622, 642, 673, 724__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ISO 1978 O-Pee-Chee in NM-MT High Grade Raw12, 21, 29, 38, 49, 65, 69, 73, 74, 81, 95, 100, 104, 110, 115, 122, 132, 133, 135, 140, 142, 151, 153, 155, 160, 161, 167, 168, 172, 179, 181, 196, 200, 204, 210, 224, 231, 240

• Options

Still think this is an underrated set. Unfortunately I only found one contender for PSA 10 in these two sets...

Yep, Jack “freakin” Clark...

• Options

@softparade said:
    Wow that '84 Fleer box was EPIC! Just saw it now.

Yeah...that one was money!

• Options

That Clark is a stunner!

• Options

@JoeBanzai said:
    That Clark is a stunner!

Thanks! Gotta love that natural Traded set curl 🙂

• Options

You wouldn't have sent this one in.

• Options

@JoeBanzai said:

I have stacks of those in my don’t grade piles 🤣

• Options

@jordangretzkyfan said:

@JoeBanzai said:

I have stacks of those in my don’t grade piles 🤣

I'll gladly send you my mailing address. I'll pay the shipping!!!! ;-)

• Options
    tulsaboytulsaboy Posts: 281 ✭✭✭

@jordangretzkyfan said:
    Still think this is an underrated set. Unfortunately I only found one contender for PSA 10 in these two sets...

Yep, Jack “freakin” Clark...

And just look at that fantastic Starter jacket zipper pull!!! :)
    kevin

• Options

Those 1988 rips were fun, but time to break some boxes from the year it all began for me. Yep, 1987. Leading this off with a Donruss box...

• Options

YES!

• Options

That first box out of this new case was really clean when it came to edges and corners, which is no small feat for 1987 Donruss. Unfortunately centering was typically in the 65/35 range for most cards. Here are the piles of stars and rookies I have built from all my breaks over this journey...

I pulled nearly all the key rookies, but none were dead centered...

There were a respectable 6 candidates for PSA 10 in this box...

The clean edges and corners are a good initial sign for this case. I am looking forward to ripping more of these in the future!!

• Options

Next up are the iconic wood grain borders from 1987 Topps...

• Options

Hope you find a perfect Bonds!

If you find a perfect Rick Leach that would also be wunderbar!

• Options

Always a fun rip for a very challenging condition year. These cards are almost always OC 70/30 top to bottom. This box was no exception. Here are the stars and rookies that miss the mark...

I did pull 2 Bonds, but with the standard centering...

Here are the 5 candidates for PSA 10 that I pulled. Thanks to those who continue to follow. 70K+ views...wow and thanks!

• Options

The Rich Yett card looks particularly strong. The other four very, very nice as well.

• Options
    JWBlueJWBlue Posts: 489 ✭✭✭

1987 Donruss was so commonplace. EVERYWHERE.

• Options

@JWBlue said:
    1987 Donruss was so commonplace. EVERYWHERE.

Yep, but a great looking set with the best crop of Rated Rookies for the decade.

• Options

Time to try another...

• Options

That was a busy day filled with pool time, friends and family. Was really nice to see everyone and move past this COVID mindset weighing on many. Finally finished up what was an outstanding box. Here are the growing piles of those that miss the cut...

Pulled these key cards, but none were perfectly centered...

I might have had too much to drink, but these 47 candidates all look like potential PSA 10s at first pass. I will look again tomorrow morning to confirm they are worth submitting...

And as if the Gooden and Greenwell weren’t cool enough, both of these Barry’s are looking pretty tight too...

• Options

Let’s see if the luck continues with 8 racks of 1988 Donruss...

• Options

Always a condition challenge. Here are the stars and rookies that miss the mark...

There was one lone candidate for PSA 10...

• Options

My daughter wants to hunt for the infamous error card. Nothing better than opening packs with your kid on Father’s Day. Happy Father’s Day to all the dads out there...

This box comes from the 90172 case I cracked a few weeks ago...

• Options
    lwehlerslwehlers Posts: 878 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jordangretzkyfan said:
    Let’s see if the luck continues with 8 racks of 1988 Donruss...

I would keep the murray pack sealed the card looks good.

• Options

Always a fun rip. Here are the stars and rookies that missed the mark...

She was happy Ripken was in one of her packs 🙂 A fun trip down memory lane...

These were the only 2 candidates for PSA 10 in the whole box...

• Options
    tkerstingtkersting Posts: 136 ✭✭✭

Always fun to pull a Ripken FF and great to do it as a family. Never mind the profanity 😀

• Options

I’m in a Frank Thomas kind of mood. Not sure why I have this half box of 1990 Topps sitting around, so time to finish it off...

• Options

No Thomas in the last half of that box, but there were a few of the key RCs. Here are the stars and rookies that missed perfection...

Here was the only candidate for PSA 10 in the packs...

• Options

Going to stay on the Thomas theme and go outside the 80s again...

• Options

Always a fun break. Fun fact...every box of 1992 Fleer Jumbos that I have ripped has contained the error version of Gardner listed as a Pitcher and the wrong spelling for Maurer. This leads me to believe that jumbo packs were among the first wave released by Fleer in 1992. It explains why these were instantly impossible to find in stores, since it is unlikely they printed a second wave for Jumbos. Here were the key cards from this break. No Thomas Rookie Sensation, but I did pull Bagwell. Would love to find the Clemens AUTO one of these days...

• Options
    NGS428NGS428 Posts: 2,288 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jordangretzkyfan said:
    I’m in a Frank Thomas kind of mood. Not sure why I have this half box of 1990 Topps sitting around, so time to finish it off...

What do you do with the boxes? That one is pretty awesome to say the least.

• Options

@NGS428 said:

What do you do with the boxes? That one is pretty awesome to say the least.

Yeah, the 1990 Topps box with Junior was a great looking box from that era. I keep the bottom box panels that have cards and recycle the rest.

• Options

I feel like this weekend’s rips are going to center around good old Topps baseball. Kicking it off with a box of 1984...

• Options

Love the design and simple, clean look of 1984 Topps. They nailed this year. Here are the growing piles of stars and rookies from all my breaks...

I loved and coveted these rookie cards as a kid. These were my first “major” cards I owned as I was learning the hobby back in the mid-80s. Always fun to pull pack fresh versions...

Here are the 11 candidates for PSA 10 that I pulled...

• Options

Time for a box of 1987 Topps vending...

• Options

Oh yeah! Hoping you can get a couple of centered Bonds cards!

I opened several of these and didn't get any. Same with Palmeiro.

Good luck with Rick Leach as well!

• Options
    NJ80sBBCNJ80sBBC Posts: 722 ✭✭✭✭

Back to where it all started for me Chris. Good luck with the rip!

I have an extra 6 box rack case that had the top pop in delivery that is due for opening.

Conundrum - Loving my unopened baseball card collection....but really like ripping too
  • Options

The day got away from me a bit. Thanks for the wishes on a centered Bonds RC, Joe...wasn’t meant to be this round. Here are the growing piles of non Gem Mint cards...

There wasn’t a Bonds in this box at all actually. Did pull these OC key cards though...

I did find 4 candidates for PSA 10 though, headlined by the two that feature Pete Rose. When these cards are clean and centered, they really are a sight to behold...