Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

What is the lowest PCGS graded top pop 1/0 coin?

ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,863 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited June 24, 2023 6:16AM in U.S. Coin Forum

The Oil of Ice thread featured a PCGS F15 top pop 1/0 coin which got me wondering what's the lowest PCGS graded top pop 1/0 coin? Are there lower?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/comment/11915284

Comments

• Options
    mvs7mvs7 Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭✭✭

That pretty much limits you to varieties like this counterstamp or near-unique coins... I'll be interested to seeing what people come up with.

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,548 ✭✭✭✭✭

Strawberries? Chalmers?

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Interesting !!! :)

Timbuk3
  • Options
    StoogeStooge Posts: 4,646 ✭✭✭✭✭

There is a 1916 Mercury dime pattern Pr. that was graded a F12 and is a pop 1, but I see there was another that graded a 25 and is a pop 1/0.

Later, Paul.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I never thought of low grade pop 1's.... somehow, I always think of pop 1's in relation to high grades.... I know... kind of blind thinking.... I will now revise my mental fences to include these anomalies... :D;) Cheers, RickO

• Options
    baddspellarbaddspellar Posts: 270 ✭✭✭

The top pop 1793 Strawberry Leaf Cent is VG10, as it the top pop 1795 Reeded Edge Cent.

• Options
    edited June 23, 2023 1:56PM

@Smittys said:

Wow, confirmed as FR02BN pop 1/0. Now we just need a PO-01POP1/0.

• Options
    CurrinCurrin Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭✭✭

If you are considering basic (non-variety) coin, then I would go with 1853-O 50c No Arrows - VF-35

My 20th Century Type Set, With Type Variations---started : 9/22/1997 ---- completed : 1/7/2004

My 20th Century Gold Major Design Type Set ---started : 11/17/1997 ---- completed : 1/21/2004
  • Options
    RegulatedRegulated Posts: 2,992 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 24, 2018 9:36PM

Technically, that shouldn't be called a PO01, as it's roller cancelled (I actually own the analogous 1907 Saint pattern, image below):

For straight graded stuff, this is the best I could think of:

http://www.pcgscoinfacts.com/Coin/Detail/10326

What is now proved was once only imagined. - William Blake
  • Options
    CladiatorCladiator Posts: 17,919 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here's a new one for me. Pop 0/1/0 at PCGS

• Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,896 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Zoins said:
    It doesn't get lower than PO01 POP 1/0! Of course, this is a pattern, but still an official Mint piece.

https://www.pcgs.com/cert/08507253

I would like to know the story behind this one. CoinFacts has background info, sometimes, but not this one.

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    WAYNEASWAYNEAS Posts: 6,345 ✭✭✭✭✭

I cannot come close to the lowest graded coin of all time but I do have have 2 coins in my lowball set that are pop 1/0.

AU53

And
    AU55

Wayne

Kennedys are my quest...

• Options
    daltexdaltex Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

@oih82w8 said:

@Zoins said:
    It doesn't get lower than PO01 POP 1/0! Of course, this is a pattern, but still an official Mint piece.

I would like to know the story behind this one. CoinFacts has background info, sometimes, but not this one.

Heritage has something: https://coins.ha.com/itm/patterns/1908-20-no-motto-double-eagle-judd-1924-pollock-2009-r8-poor-1-pcgs/a/1274-5138.s?ic4=ListView-ShortDescription-071515

• Options
    edited June 24, 2023 4:37AM

@daltex said:

@oih82w8 said:

@Zoins said:

Heritage has something: https://coins.ha.com/itm/patterns/1908-20-no-motto-double-eagle-judd-1924-pollock-2009-r8-poor-1-pcgs/a/1274-5138.s?ic4=ListView-ShortDescription-071515

Thanks for the link @daltex!

Nice pedigree associated with Byron White and William Rau, along with possibly Stephen Kenneth Nagy, Jr.

The full pedigree info from the lot description is:

Heritage said:
    Ex: Possibly Stephen K. Nagy; Possibly 1958 ANA Sale; Byron White; Kissel and Victoria Collections (Bowers and Merena, 9/1989), lot 2596; Scotsman (10/2005).

From The Collection of William Rau.

• Options
    edited June 24, 2023 4:38AM

@Cladiator said:
    Here's a new one for me. Pop 0/1/0 at PCGS

Great coin @Cladiator! Thanks for posting it!

What's really amazing about this is that this looks to be a regular issue coin with numerous survivors.

• Options
    david3142david3142 Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭✭✭

@WAYNEAS said:
    I cannot come close to the lowest graded coin of all time but I do have have 2 coins in my lowball set that are pop 1/0.

AU53

And
    AU55

Wayne

When you say Pop 1/0 in a lowball set I assume that means no coins are graded lower? Clearly there are many graded higher for those dates.

• Options
    MWallaceMWallace Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not U. S. but here's one I have that's 1/0. VF25.

• Options

@david3142 said:

@WAYNEAS said:

AU53

And
    AU55

Wayne

When you say Pop 1/0 in a lowball set I assume that means no coins are graded lower? Clearly there are many graded higher for those dates.

Come to find out that a lowball coin with a pop 1/0 can have coins in lower grades. I found this out yesterday by going to the coin facts app and then scrolling thru the grades to see what is the lowest grade that has been graded for that particular date.
    So in my case, both of my coins are the only graded coins in that grade.
    When I scroll thru my lowball registry set, they do list as pops 1/0.
    Wayne

Kennedys are my quest...

• Options
    edited June 24, 2023 5:53AM

@WAYNEAS said:

@david3142 said:

@WAYNEAS said:

AU53

And
    AU55

Wayne

Come to find out that a lowball coin with a pop 1/0 can have coins in lower grades. I found this out yesterday by going to the coin facts app and then scrolling thru the grades to see what is the lowest grade that has been graded for that particular date.
    So in my case, both of my coins are the only graded coins in that grade.
    When I scroll thru my lowball registry set, they do list as pops 1/0.
    Wayne

From cert verification, I see:

My guess is that "pop X/Y" typically means "X with Y higher" (which is what's intended here), but in a low ball set representation, "pop X/Y" may mean "X with Y lower".

The following is from the registry set which is interesting as it has columns for "PCGS # Pop Higher" and "Pop Higher" with different values. I'm guessing here, "Pop Higher" means lower grade (but perhaps higher Lowball Registry Set points?).

• Options
    edited June 24, 2023 7:59AM

When I open my Kennedy Low Ball registry set, this is what I see for this coin.

1990-D 50C AU53 CERTIFICATION #35076769, PCGS #6758

When I scroll down to the Coin Facts Details under the cert# this is what I get.

The screen shots are from the lowest grade of 1 to 53+. I did not go any further up to higher grades.

Grades 1-8

Grades 8-25

Grades 25-45+

Grades 45-53+

So according to this, the coin is a POP 1/0 with NO coins graded lower and there are 427 graded higher.

The first appearance of a graded coin shows at AU53.
    All grades below that are non-existent at this time.

Confusing yes but it takes some understanding to get to the right interputation.
    Hope this helps.
    Wayne

Kennedys are my quest...

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file