Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

What is a "Modern" Coin?

mvs7mvs7 Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited January 31, 2018 9:38AM in U.S. Coin Forum

What is a "Modern" Coin?

Sign in to vote!
This is a public poll: others will see what you voted for.

Comments

• Options
    1965-present. Clad stuff will never be classic.

This morning's thread got me thinking about how you define "classic" versus "modern"... so please vote. I started collecting in the 1970's, and have always considered The Clad Era to be modern.

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,863 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 31, 2018 9:49AM
    2000-present. Classic stuff is so last century.

Many people consider the Presidents and Franklin to be modern but they came in different years so it's hard to pin to one date:

• 1909 cent
    • 1932 quarter
    • 1938 nickel
    • 1946 dime
    • 1948 half dollar
    • 1971 dollar

I voted for 2000 because I consider the multiple types per year to be modern and a big departure from past coins. Coins like the statehood quarters, America the Beautiful quarters, Presidential dollars and now innovation quarters simply didn't exist before.

• Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,333 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 31, 2018 9:45AM
    Other. Please describe.

I voted other. 1965 to date coins are moderns.

Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    giorgio11giorgio11 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

When I worked with a certain well-known numismatist/EAC member at Heritage (ahem, you know who you are), he considered anything post-1840 to be "modern."

Kind regards,

George

VDBCoins.com Our Registry Sets Many successful BSTs; pls ask.
  • Options

@cladking said:
    Well, I didn't vote. ;)

Nothing wrong with collecting modern coins, mind you. ;)

• Options

@Zoins said:
    Many people consider the Presidents and Franklin to be modern but they came in different years so it's hard to pin to one date:

• 1909 cent
    • 1932 quarter
    • 1938 nickel
    • 1946 dime
    • 1948 half dollar
    • 1971 dollar

I voted for 2000 because I consider the multiple types per year to be modern and a big departure from past coins. Coins like the statehood quarters, America the Beautiful quarters, Presidential dollars and now innovation quarters simply didn't exist before.

Good call. I knew there was a big gap the options between 1916- and 1965-, but that's a good way to describe the in-between.

• Options
    Other. Please describe.

@mvs7 said:

@cladking said:
    Well, I didn't vote. ;)

Nothing wrong with collecting modern coins, mind you. ;)

I edited. I hadn't seen "other".

I think people might be surprised how quickly moderns can become classics. Everything is perspective. When I started collecting in 1957 the '50-D nickel was virtually a classic and buffalos were "ancients". Now days many collectors believe buffalos are moderns.

It is entirely possible moderns will never be "classic" but only if coins cease being made.

Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,896 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Other. Please describe.

I consider "Modern" coinage as designs that are/were existing since clad coins were minted; Lincoln Cents, Jefferson Nickels, Roosevelt Dimes, Washington Quarters, Kennedy Halves and Eisenhower Dollars...and anything minted since (SBA, Sac Dollars, etc...)

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options

@oih82w8 - although I said Clad Era as a generalization, I agree with this idea of "modern designs" for cents/nickels/halves though I would probably cut off with Lincoln Memorial (1959-) rather than from 1909, along with the whole Jefferson and Kennedy series.

• Options
    carabonnaircarabonnair Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Other. Please describe.

For U.S. coins after 1836, when the steam press was introduced.
    Archaic - Ancient - Medieval - Renaissance (14th - 17th century) - Early modern (16th - 19th century) - Late modern (mid-18th century)

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,837 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Other. Please describe.

The beginning of geekdom. Beware the modern.

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,892 ✭✭✭✭✭

@cladking said:
    I voted other. 1965 to date coins are moderns.

Then why wasn't that the option you chose????

• Options
    divecchiadivecchia Posts: 6,527 ✭✭✭✭✭

I voted 1965-present. It could be because I was born in 1964.

Donato

Hobbyist & Collector (not an investor).
    Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

Successful transactions: Shrub68 (Jim), MWallace (Mike)
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,503 ✭✭✭✭✭

65 to present are modern

• Options
    KellenCoinKellenCoin Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭✭

65 to present.

YN Member of the ANA, ANS, NBS, EAC, C4, MCA, PNNA, CSNS, ILNA, TEC, and more!
    Always buying numismatic literature and sample slabs.

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,937 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Other. Please describe.

1934 to present. Most were saved in large quantities. With the exception of a few odd items like the 1955 double die cent, it is just common material. Even the 1955 double die cent is more popular than it is scarce or rare.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,686 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good thread.

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,481 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1916-present. Barbers are classic, not modern.

@291fifth said:
    1934 to present. Most were saved in large quantities. With the exception of a few odd items like the 1955 double die cent, it is just common material. Even the 1955 double die cent is more popular than it is scarce or rare.

I tend to agree with this concept despite the fact that I voted for the "1916 and up" option. When I was a dealer, the coins from the late '30s to the present were always around. There were roll quantities of them that had been bulk graded and placed in slabs. The prices for Walkers were always going up and down depending upon the current tastes or possible dealer promotions. Coins in the mid to late '30 were tougher, but not impossible to find in MS-63 or 64.

To me the concept "modern" really cuts in with the "saved by the roll concept." A lot of coins minted prior to 1934 got killed by The Great Depession. People could not afford to set them aside because they had eat and put roof over their heads. That's why Barber coins, especially the quarter and half dollars in VF and EF are tough. Many of the pieces that collectors had set aside were spent. Once you got to 1934, saving rolls by collectors, but especaiily by the dealers became more common, that's why the coin are now available. And that's why I'd call them "modern."

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    MrHalfDimeMrHalfDime Posts: 3,440 ✭✭✭✭

I have some friends in the JRCS and BHNC that consider any coin in the post-Bust era (after 1838) to be 'modern'.

They that can give up essential Liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither Liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin
  • Options
    LanLordLanLord Posts: 11,681 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Zoins said:

• 1909 cent
    • 1932 quarter
    • 1938 nickel
    • 1946 dime
    • 1948 half dollar
    • 1971 dollar

I agree with this.
    It's not a date that designates something as modern, it's the design.

However, making new coins with old designs doesn't effectively make them "classics".

• Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭

My type set stops at 1964.

• Options
    BillDugan1959BillDugan1959 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Other. Please describe.

I believe this thread is a repeat of a similar recent thread.

U.S. coins - out of long habit, I take a much closer look at coins dated before 1934 than I do coins dated after 1934. So let's say 1934. There are exceptions to this rule for overdates and such. Maybe I should adjust my date/ line in the sand.

Darkside and the Historical Big picture - 1793. The French Revolution, baby, start of modern times. Chop-off the King's and Queen's head(s) and get on with it!

• Options
    DavideoDavideo Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭✭

Though it there anything between "modern" and "classic"? For example, I don't really consider Franklin halves to be either. I'm not sure what I consider them...

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,812 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 31, 2018 1:27PM

I would say anything after 1964...90% silver.

• Options
    logger7logger7 Posts: 8,078 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1982-present. Zincolns are the end of coinage as we know it.

There was this interesting article: https://www.cmi-gold-silver.com/article/pcgs-ngc-coins-grading-services/

I can maybe see a value in having some moderns certified, a complete set of proof ASEs in PR70, but the premiums are going down over time.

• Options
    ElcontadorElcontador Posts: 7,417 ✭✭✭✭✭

If you have to start at a particular date, I'd say Franklin Half coinage forward.

"Vou invadir o Nordeste,
    "Seu cabra da peste,
    "Sou Mangueira......."
  • Options
    OKbustchaserOKbustchaser Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Other. Please describe.

If it takes a steam engine to power the die strikes then it is a modern.

Just because I'm old doesn't mean I don't love to look at a pretty bust.
  • Options
    MrHalfDimeMrHalfDime Posts: 3,440 ✭✭✭✭

OKbustchaser said:

"If it takes a steam engine to power the die strikes then it is a modern."

Best answer yet! I love it.

They that can give up essential Liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither Liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin
  • Options
    bkzoopapabkzoopapa Posts: 177 ✭✭✭
    Other. Please describe.

I agree with 291fifth. 1934 is where the saving of rolls really kicked in. When I started full time in the business in 1968 we had an enormous inventory of BU rolls including Mercs, walkers, even a roll of 1931s cents. Classic commems were hoarded in large quantities by Stack’s and Bebee’s among others. 1950’s coins were available by the bags. Too many of almost everything to be classic.

• Options
    leothelyonleothelyon Posts: 8,356 ✭✭✭✭✭

Perhaps someone could explain why it matters whether something is considered Modern or Classic. What does it mean, if anything? A coin is a coin....is a coin. I think whatever one considers Modern is collected more (because its common and cheaper) than.......whatever is considered Classic. But Classics whatever are valued higher and likely certified more.

Leo

The more qualities observed in a coin, the more desirable that coin becomes!

My Jefferson Nickel Collection

• Options
    WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,973 ✭✭✭✭✭

My dad hoarded silver when I was very young--- it was just before my time. Clad will always be modern to me for that reason and also because it has no precious metal.

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• Options
    DancingFireDancingFire Posts: 311 ✭✭✭

IMO. Buffalo nickel was the last classic coin design.

• Options
    keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,455 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 31, 2018 8:48PM

I voted 1965-Present but I think it depends on the denomination. I could break it down as follows.

Cents: 1959-
    Nickels: 1938 Jefferson-
    Dimes: 1946 or 1965-
    Quarters: 1932 or 1965-
    Half Dollars: 1948 or 1965-
    Dollars: 1936-
    Gold: 1934-

Some elitists will claim anything produced by the US is definitely modern. Some will say anything in the 20th Century is definitely modern. Some people will cut things off when the US Mint started using updated presses in the 1830s. It all depends upon the person you ask. This is a question that has long been asked and you end up with many varied responses, including mine. Many responses will depend on what the person collects or cherrishes.

IF WE GO BY WHAT PCGS SAYS: MODERN IS 1965 to Date

"If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • Options
    blitzdudeblitzdude Posts: 5,446 ✭✭✭✭✭

To oldsters like me post 64 clad is modern but technically post 2000 should be what is now considered modern.

The whole worlds off its rocker, buy Gold™.

• Options
    HigashiyamaHigashiyama Posts: 2,152 ✭✭✭✭✭

My view is more from a financial than a collector's perspective.

The elimination of silver from our coinage marked the final move to a fiat system. (it may have been largely symbolic, since we were in most respects there well before 1964)

Nonetheless, it also coincided with the start of a long period of inflation which has seen prices rise roughly ten fold. This inflation has very dramatically changed the "meaning" of our coinage. In 1960, a small pocketful of change had significant purchasing power. Unless you carry dollar coins, it no longer does.

Even the value of a quarter is close to trivial these days, buying what only a few cents did in the early 1960s. To me, this is the essence of the modern era.

(by the way, I don't view modern and classic as strictly opposite -- we may need more categories to do justice to our numismatic heritage!)

Higashiyama
  • Options
    BillyKingsleyBillyKingsley Posts: 2,661 ✭✭✭✭

@leothelyon said:
    Perhaps someone could explain why it matters whether something is considered Modern or Classic. What does it mean, if anything? A coin is a coin....is a coin. I think whatever one considers Modern is collected more (because its common and cheaper) than.......whatever is considered Classic. But Classics whatever are valued higher and likely certified more.

Leo

I agree with this completely. I would have answered 1965 to present had the op not included the insult with it. I don't support age discrimination in my hobby.

Billy Kingsley ANA R-3146356 Cardboard History // Numismatic History
  • Options
    OuthaulOuthaul Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Clad coinage was a great disappointment to me... having grown up with silver change. Clad has never had the 'magic' of silver, and for me, it never will. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,616 ✭✭✭✭✭

In 1965 the 1950-D nickel was considered the king of coins.

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • Options
    OnastoneOnastone Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Other. Please describe.

Okay I finally voted. After reading all the comments, googling classic vs modern, finding the other thread asking about classics vs moderns, trying to define MODERN, trying to define CLASSIC, considering my age, considering the year, looking at all of time, comparing coins to cars and what makes a car a classic...modern....or antique, I voted other???? WHY? Well originally I was going to choose the most popular answer 1965-present. That's a no-brainer. When that happened there was a line drawn in the sand. Then after reading the explanations everyone replied with, I saw great arguments on all sides. I think we need a new answer now, ALL OF THE ABOVE. As time flows along, all the answers change. There is always a moment where every coin is a modern and always a moment where every coin is a classic.

• Options

@BillyKingsley said:

@leothelyon said:

Leo

I agree with this completely. I would have answered 1965 to present had the op not included the insult with it. I don't support age discrimination in my hobby.

That wasn't an insult. That was a quote from @Regulated in the other thread yesterday morning. Mentoring new generations is actually a very important part to this hobby. If you're old enough to remember the turn of the 20th Century, God bless you. I will still make sure to stay on the concrete path when coming to your door.

• Options
    edited February 1, 2018 9:08AM
    Other. Please describe.

@Onastone said:
    Okay I finally voted. After reading all the comments, googling classic vs modern, finding the other thread asking about classics vs moderns, trying to define MODERN, trying to define CLASSIC, considering my age, considering the year, looking at all of time, comparing coins to cars and what makes a car a classic...modern....or antique, I voted other???? WHY? Well originally I was going to choose the most popular answer 1965-present. That's a no-brainer. When that happened there was a line drawn in the sand. Then after reading the explanations everyone replied with, I saw great arguments on all sides. I think we need a new answer now, ALL OF THE ABOVE. As time flows along, all the answers change. There is always a moment where every coin is a modern and always a moment where every coin is a classic.

Very wise answer.

But there's always another perspective to see anything at all.

One of my favorite perspectives now days is that of a great pyramid builder. From this perspective the Great Pyramid with its uncountable nummulites is the greatest "coin" collection of all time and all coins ever made are extremely modern; some are more or less modern than others.

Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    OverdateOverdate Posts: 6,937 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Other. Please describe.

Any coin that modern-haters look down on.

My Adolph A. Weinman signature :)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file