Home Precious Metals
Options

SP 500 drops 1%

CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

And the news makes headlines. Can we say complacency?

Comments

• Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,212 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 30, 2018 2:36PM

pre-game jitters. TVIX even noticed.

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,535 ✭✭✭✭✭

It can't keep going up every day. At some point, money is going to be taken off the table.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    VanHalenVanHalen Posts: 3,814 ✭✭✭✭✭

And all my doubts and fears......
    Kept me wondering........
    But baby it ain't over 'til it's over, over.

• Options
    cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,621 ✭✭✭✭✭

Another 50 days like this and it will be back to where the gold bugs promised us doom.

Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear

• Options
    blitzdudeblitzdude Posts: 5,464 ✭✭✭✭✭

Heh, perhaps the pump is over.

The whole worlds off its rocker, buy Gold™.

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,219 ✭✭✭✭✭

End of month
    And
    Big earnings week
    And
    Market up a lot

Mild profit taking.

If earnings hit, we keep going up.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options

@MsMorrisine said:
    End of month
    And
    Big earnings week
    And
    Market up a lot

Mild profit taking.

If earnings hit, we keep going up.

Agreed. If earning hit 25%+ yoy gains then we will keep going up because that's what priced in.

If expectations can be pushed down to realistic numbers numbers, around 10% yoy gains, then they may keep it running for awhile too.

• Options
    edited January 30, 2018 6:43PM

Yawn.....oh nevermind probably just more fake news lol

WASHINGTON — Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin urged Congress on Tuesday to raise the federal government’s statutory borrowing limit and said Washington must soon grapple with the mounting federal debt, just as lawmakers are embarking on a significant spending spree.

Annual deficits are creeping up to $1 trillion a year and the national debt has topped $20 trillion. On Monday, Treasury said that the United States will need to borrow $441 billion in privately-held debt this quarter, the largest sum since 2010 when the economy was emerging from the worst downturn since the Great Depression.

Yet the need to deal with the federal debt seems to have taken a back seat to other priorities, including the $1.5 trillion tax cut increased defense and domestic spending, and an expected infrastructure request from President Trump.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Big market dip yesterday.... today all is 'green'.... so far anyway. Gold is holding and silver on a slight rise... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    renman95renman95 Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭✭✭

How many 'crats would be happy if the market dropped 40-50% just to put stink on the president thereby hurting every working American that has money in 'America' in their 401k?

• Options

@renman95 said:
    How many 'crats would be happy if the market dropped 40-50% just to put stink on the president thereby hurting every working American that has money in 'America' in their 401k?

Kinda sounds like gold bug mentality.

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

Less then 50% of Americans have any money in the markets including 401K's . I wonder if even 10% have PM exposure

mark

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 1, 2018 9:09AM
  • Options

A news segment touting the recent one time $1,000 bonuses for some American workers stated 57% of American households don't have $1,000 liquid cash available to them.

57 freakin' percent of Americans don't have a grand avaiable! That is amazing in the prosperous year 2018.

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,535 ✭✭✭✭✭

@VanHalen said:

A news segment touting the recent one time $1,000 bonuses for some American workers stated 57% of American households don't have $1,000 liquid cash available to them.

57 freakin' percent of Americans don't have a grand avaiable! That is amazing in the prosperous year 2018.

Cost of living continues to rise relative to wages and bonuses, if they are given. Credit sustains many families, like the government, in 2018.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options

@renman95 said:

Probably about the same amount of Rhinos who were wishing the same during Obama's first year in office. (By the way, the markets performed better in Obamas first year then they did during Trump's). But that's all just political noise. The debt continues onward and upward. You can have all the paper wealth your heart desires, I'll stick with PMs.

• Options
    ChrisRxChrisRx Posts: 5,619 ✭✭✭✭

@blitzdude said:

@renman95 said:

Probably about the same amount of Rhinos who were wishing the same during Obama's first year in office. (By the way, the markets performed better in Obamas first year then they did during Trump's). But that's all just political noise. The debt continues onward and upward. You can have all the paper wealth your heart desires, I'll stick with PMs.

Bingo.

• Options

@VanHalen said:

Considering 23% of Americans are under the age of 18, I dont think its that astonishing.

• Options
    mirabelamirabela Posts: 4,970 ✭✭✭✭✭

Considering 23% of Americans are under the age of 18, I dont think its that astonishing.

That's 57% of American households, not 57% of Americans. Whether or not we're astonished it doesn't bode well for social stability.

mirabela
  • Options

The quoted stat seems to be a bit misleading. I don't think I have 1000 in a savings account. Checking account sure. Money market sure. Brokerage sure. Savings...no.

https://www.cnbc.com/2017/09/13/how-much-americans-at-have-in-their-savings-accounts.html

• Options
    PaleElfPaleElf Posts: 990 ✭✭✭

Hoping it keeps coming down. Went to 60% cash in my non-taxable accounts Monday morning. Would like to see a nice healthy 5-10% pullback.

• Options

@cohodk said:
    The quoted stat seems to be a bit misleading. I don't think I have 1000 in a savings account. Checking account sure. Money market sure. Brokerage sure. Savings...no.

https://www.cnbc.com/2017/09/13/how-much-americans-at-have-in-their-savings-accounts.html

The quoted stat (not cnbc) was not limited to savings accounts which many people don't possess. It was: 57% of the households in America do not have $1,000 in total liquid assets. Which should come as no surprise since the bottom 3 quintiles have been losing income and wealth for several decades. Half of America is essentially broke but our news media fails to address them at most every turn.

• Options

@VanHalen said:
    The quoted stat (not cnbc) was not limited to savings accounts which many people don't possess. It was: 57% of the households in America do not have $1,000 in total liquid assets. Which should come as no surprise since the bottom 3 quintiles have been losing income and wealth for several decades. Half of America is essentially broke but our news media fails to address them at most every turn.

A lot of that has to do with our current culture, which places more emphasis on consumption than saving. A lot of people believe it is much more important to have the newest Apple product than $1,000 in savings or $1,000 in Apple stock.

• Options
    KkathylKkathyl Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭✭✭

Guess it’s a call day

Best place to buy !
    Bronze Associate member

• Options

@ChrisRx said the markets did better during Obama’s first year in office then Trumps. Can you give the numbers to back that or the % of growth or total dollars. I understand O got the recession bump but did not think that was the case.
    We like stats please

Best place to buy !
    Bronze Associate member

• Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

Those types of snapshots just to affix blame or praise to some nimrod who just happened to be standing in the spotlight while others do things don't serve a purpose.

Every politician gets blamed for every bad thing that happens while they are in office and tries to take credit for the good things. Generally speaking they don't have anything to do with either. They are all thieves and criminals or they wouldn't have run for office in the first place.

• Options

Gold down 1%

Oh
    Dow down 2%

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options

A correction would be very healthy for the market.

• Options

Worst week in two years

mark

Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options

I was thinking of doing a little rebalancing in my IRA this week and didn't get around to it. Right now its 100% in the Fidelity blue chip growth fund . Its been a powerhouse for the past year but I'm getting nervous that its going to stall out soon. :#

• Options
    KollectorKingKollectorKing Posts: 4,820 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2, 2018 3:19PM

go amzn....& vxx B)

• Options
    CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

@cohodk said:
    Another 50 days like this and it will be back to where the gold bugs promised us doom.

• Options
    meluaufeetmeluaufeet Posts: 751 ✭✭✭

Goodbye Yellen put this week,

Hello Powell put next week.

• Options

@Kkathyl said:
    @ChrisRx said the markets did better during Obama’s first year in office then Trumps. Can you give the numbers to back that or the % of growth or total dollars. I understand O got the recession bump but did not think that was the case.
    We like stats please

I'm the one who said that not ChrisRX:
    https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2018/01/05/business/trump-first-year.html

• Options

@blitzdude said:

@Kkathyl said:
    We like stats please

Run the numbers from the date Trump won the election.

• Options

@blitzdude said:

@Kkathyl said:
    We like stats please

Herbert Hoover was not so great, followed by the obvious, Dubya.

• Options

We like Ike, trump, not so much.

• Options
    meluaufeetmeluaufeet Posts: 751 ✭✭✭

I thought the market last year was because of the previous administration... So why does the previous administration get credit for their first year?

• Options
    edited February 2, 2018 5:06PM

The Dow's 31% gain during Trump's first year is the best since FDR
    Fred Imbert | @foimbert
    Published 3:05 PM ET Thu, 18 Jan 2018 Updated 7:04 PM ET Thu, 18 Jan 2018
    CNBC.com

Best place to buy !
    Bronze Associate member

• Options
    bigjpstbigjpst Posts: 3,033 ✭✭✭✭✭

Percentages are a funny thing.

• Options

sure FDR was great but how many twitter followers did he have?

• Options

Yahoo has historical data

• Options

@blitzdude said:

@renman95 said:

The markets preformed better the first year from the day Obama was elected then the same period for Trump. Regardless before of their first years were good stockmarket wise

m

• Options

@Kkathyl said:

The Dow's 31% gain during Trump's first year is the best since FDR
    Fred Imbert | @foimbert
    Published 3:05 PM ET Thu, 18 Jan 2018 Updated 7:04 PM ET Thu, 18 Jan 2018
    CNBC.com

I thought we were talking about the SP500 which is a much better representation of the "market" (and the title of this thread). The Dow30 is all fluff, when a stock is lagging they just remove it and insert another one that can pump the average..

• Options

It’s all fluff I don’t care much about competing stats If it’s not in my pocket it’s not mine.

Best place to buy !
    Bronze Associate member

• Options

Can't argue with that.

• Options
    edited February 3, 2018 6:46AM

• Options
    dpooledpoole Posts: 5,940 ✭✭✭✭✭

The stock market surge since Trumps election has nothing to do with Trump.

It has to do with the fact that Texas is recruiting so well in football.

• Options

@dpoole said:
    The stock market surge since Trumps election has nothing to do with Trump.

It has to do with the fact that Texas is recruiting so well in football.

but doesn't the fact that on the NFL level the cowboys suck so relentlessly cancel that out?

If you want to see the stock market respond positively to texas football , make Jerry Jones disappear

• Options

Seems one of the drivers of yesterday's selloff was the ballyhooed 2.9% wage growth stoking fears of inflation and faster Fed rate increases.

A closer look reveals average weekly earnings actually dropped from Dec. '17 to Jan. '18 and yoy actual earnings growth were right back at 2.6% after backing out the average hourly workweek "miss" of 34.5 hours expected versus 34.3 hours actual hours worked.

Next month with reveal more but for now the prospect of significant inflation >2% or a faster pace of Fed rate increases appears largely founded.

bls.gov/news.release