SP 500 drops 1%

13»

Comments

• Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,279 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 9, 2018 7:45AM

@bronco2078 said:

@derryb said:
    ETFs trade instantaneously. Pick and ETF that matches the holdings of the mutual fund. ETFs are the "new" mutual fund.

There still has to be a bid B)

Have yet to not find one. ETFs are widely traded, including early and after hours, pick one and watch it's ticker.

“The root problem with conventional currency is all the trust that's required to make it work. The central bank must be trusted not to debase the currency, but the history of fiat currencies is full of breaches of that trust.” - Satoshi Nakamoto

• Options
    VanHalenVanHalen Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭✭✭

Soaring out of correction territory to end the week. Who could have imagined? :D Will we end up 5% off the lows?

Correction game over! ;)

• Options
    PaleElfPaleElf Posts: 990 ✭✭✭

@VanHalen said:
    Soaring out of correction territory to end the week. Who could have imagined? :D Will we end up 5% off the lows?

Correction game over! ;)

We may not be out of the woods yet. We will likely test the 200 day again.

• Options

@VanHalen said:

Correction game over! ;)

But the sleeping tiger's cage has been rattled.

“The root problem with conventional currency is all the trust that's required to make it work. The central bank must be trusted not to debase the currency, but the history of fiat currencies is full of breaches of that trust.” - Satoshi Nakamoto

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 10, 2018 2:34PM

The market is built upon the carcasses of those trying to time the market. A handful of people can actually do it but the rub is everyone thinks they are one of those people.

mark

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,441 ✭✭✭✭✭

I can time the market, but usually I time it wrong.

Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,688 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmski52 said:
    I can time the market, but usually I time it wrong.

Some on this board are better than others...I've used their psychology several times to profit.

Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear

• Options

The Economist: It Appears Market Conspiracy Theorists Were Right

"Common to all the papers is the recognition that the public markets are, as conspiracy theorists have long argued, not truly public at all" and that "changing the law to fix that may not even be feasible."

• Options
    dpooledpoole Posts: 5,940 ✭✭✭✭✭

I read the same article, derryb.

The evidence cited in the article that insider favoritism is routine and systemic may have always been around, as conspiracy theorists would claim. But capacities now for number crunching makes it more difficult to deny or downplay insider trading as the activity of a few "rogue traders."

Confidence on the part in the integrity of at least the basic system is vital for its long-term survival. People can tolerate occasional rogues; they won't forever tolerate a game structured to be rigged in favor of insiders.

• Options

It's crunch time, FED's gotta choose between raising rates or protecting stock indexes.

• Options

I love the psychology of markets.

• Options

@derryb said:
    It's crunch time, FED's gotta choose between raising rates or protecting stock indexes.

There will not be three rate increases this year. ;)

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,360 ✭✭✭✭✭

S&P 500 implied open up ~1%

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options

Duh - it's the bond market

"The 10-year Treasury sets the price for every asset in the world," said Brent Schutte, chief investment strategist at Northwestern Mutual. Rates remain very low historically — but they're climbing fast enough to unnerve a market accustomed to cheap money."

• Options
    metalmeistermetalmeister Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭✭✭

You can short long term bond interest rates. Your mileage may vary.
    I did re-enter my NUGT trade in the mid 20's. GLTA

email: ccacollectibles@yahoo.com

100% Positive BST transactions
  • Options

Another week last week and we may only see one rate hike this year. Then to 1.75% by the end of 2019.

• Options
    edited February 13, 2018 5:09AM

Because some prefer cartoons.