Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

First double eagles struck March 12, 1850

RogerBRogerB Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭✭✭

According to this letter the first double eagles for circulation were struck March 12, 1850. Has anyone traced the two coins mentioned in the letter?

Mint of the United States
Philadelphia
March 12, 1850

Hon. William M. Meredith
Secretary of the Treasury

Sir,
The first coinage of double-eagles has been executed this day, and I send two of them, for the President and yourself.

They have been struck with all the force that could be asked, even to such a degree as to injure the dies, and yet the impression is not perfect. The face is still too much in relief.

Very respectfully,
Your faithful servant,
R.M. Patterson, Director

PS: It has been thought best to send the coins by Adams & Co.’s Express Line.
[RG104 entry 216 vol 08]

Comments

• Options
    KellenCoinKellenCoin Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭✭

Because it is over 100 years ago, and may very well be in some family's undiscovered inheritance, I think it unlikely that these coins will immediately come to light. I hope they do eventually, and shall be interested to see them.

YN Member of the ANA, ANS, NBS, EAC, C4, MCA, PNNA, CSNS, ILNA, TEC, and more!
    Always buying numismatic literature and sample slabs.

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very interesting. I knew that the dies for the 1849 double was sunken too deeply to make business strike coins. This series of correspondence prove it.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    CryptoCrypto Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭✭✭

There is a segs presentation 1850 DE out there. If it is one of the two I don’t know

• Options

Very skeptical of anything labeled "specimen" or "presentation" or other such things. Such things must be accompanied with documentation - see the Baker Estate pieces for a meaningful example.

• Options
    CoinosaurusCoinosaurus Posts: 9,615 ✭✭✭✭✭

Cool. The text suggests a unique die pair. As far as I know there has been no die study of the 1850 $20s (although the B&M Bass catalog might prove me wrong).

• Options

The letters from later in December do not seem to infer more than a single die pair for 1849. But it's possible Peale made more than one pair for testing, then discarded everything.

• Options

@RogerB said:
    Very skeptical of anything labeled "specimen" or "presentation" or other such things. Such things must be accompanied with documentation - see the Baker Estate pieces for a meaningful example.

As am I but it is worth a look

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/comment/11442694#Comment_11442694

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I wonder how often pieces were struck (such as mentioned above) and given as 'presentation' or sample pieces to dignitaries. Also, would it always have been recorded - such as a new coin given to the Mint director? Just seems that it is more than possible that many coins may have been given out in this manner, perhaps with no records. Cheers, RickO

• Options

Sending one or more examples of new coins to the President and/or treasury secretary, before full production began, was a normal 19th century practice. There are many letters documenting this. I've posted a few of them here in the past. These are clearly intended for dignitaries and should be considered real "presentation" pieces. Many pattern pieces also were handled this way as the Mint Director needed approval to replace one design with another. Patterns were also sold for metal value or "face value" or in the case of copper bronze and other base metal versions, were given to the requester for the cost of postage.

However, without documentary support I don't feel there are many coins that can be legitimately called "presentation" or "specimen" pieces.

• Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,911 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 30, 2018 9:26AM

I know it is not possible, but the date on the letter looks like March 12, 1830.

Another cool piece of historical significance!

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,705 ✭✭✭✭✭

When were the rest of the business strikes for 1850 started? Do we know that there's a delay from March 12 to some later date that would allow for the relief of the design to be reduced and new dies made? To say that it would be cool to see an 1850 "Head of 1849" $20 is an understatement.

• Options
    edited January 30, 2018 11:05AM

Here's the monthly list of coins reserved for the Annual Assay Commission. Typically 1 for every 1,000 gold pieces.

Note the silver dollar total (1/2,000 pieces) meaning not more than 4,000 1850 silver dollars were delivered.

• Options
    northcoinnorthcoin Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Crypto said:

@RogerB said:

..... it is worth a look

Thanks for posting the link to the history of my 1850 Double Eagle that has been traced back to having been in the personal collection of its designer, James Longacre. It will be interesting to learn whatever more RogerB digs up from mint records.

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,695 ✭✭✭✭✭

Interesting stuff!

• Options

Well, nice photo but not, in my opinion here or in the earlier thread, a "proof" or "master" coin or "specimen." But see a new thread just started showing that at least one master coin (a "proof" by today's definition) was made.

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,564 ✭✭✭✭✭

@RogerB said:
    Sending one or more examples of new coins to the President and/or treasury secretary, before full production began, was a normal 19th century practice. There are many letters documenting this. I've posted a few of them here in the past. These are clearly intended for dignitaries and should be considered real "presentation" pieces. Many pattern pieces also were handled this way as the Mint Director needed approval to replace one design with another. Patterns were also sold for metal value or "face value" or in the case of copper bronze and other base metal versions, were given to the requester for the cost of postage.

However, without documentary support I don't feel there are many coins that can be legitimately called "presentation" or "specimen" pieces.

And yet special coins do exist. I once handled a 1799 Dollar that was better struck than the 1804 Linderman Proof I also handled.

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options

Yes, there are coins that we see and we think they "look special." Maybe, and maybe not made for any special purpose. That "specialness" is TBD.

I tend to be very skeptical about any claims made of a special coin unless there is something to support that. A few weeks ago I posted a letter regarding the first production Morgan dollar from the NO mint. That letter was supported by newspaper reports, and if someone finds the coin in a family estate, we have a legitimate case for calling it "special" in some manner. :wink:

• Options

@RogerB said:
    Yes, there are coins that we see and we think they "look special." Maybe, and maybe not made for any special purpose. That "specialness" is TBD.

I tend to be very skeptical about any claims made of a special coin unless there is something to support that. A few weeks ago I posted a letter regarding the first production Morgan dollar from the NO mint. That letter was supported by newspaper reports, and if someone finds the coin in a family estate, we have a legitimate case for calling it "special" in some manner. :wink:

If roger had seen it he would have graded it no better than EF

• Options

Maybe.....maybe not. :)

• Options
    1northcoin1northcoin Posts: 3,837 ✭✭✭✭✭

@northcoin said:

@Crypto said:

@RogerB said:

..... it is worth a look

Thanks for posting the link to the history of my 1850 Double Eagle that has been traced back to having been in the personal collection of its designer, James Longacre. It will be interesting to learn whatever more RogerB digs up from mint records.

Had completely forgotten about this old thread. FWIW, here is a more recent photo of the same pictured coin.

For anyone revisiting the original thread it may be of interest that Roger references an identified proof of the 1850. That coin is located in a Paris museum and apparently was made for part of a special set that was put together in approximately October of 1850. That in itself rules out the referenced proof was one of the two 1850 Double Eagles referenced in the OP's posted letter in his original post.

Of added note with regard to the initial first production of 1850 Double Eagles in March of 1850, there were more than just the two made as specifically referenced in the letter. Inasmuch as my 1850 Double Eagle has through auction records been traced back to having been retained in the personal collection of its designer, James B. Longacre, it may well have in fact been the first one minted.

Here is the added more recent photo:

• Options
    sellitstoresellitstore Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭✭✭

The 1946 MS68 CAC Half Dollar shown in another thread sure looks "special" to many experienced numismatists, too, yet it's just a circulation strike.

Roger's point is well-taken and important. Special look alone isn't enough to infer special purpose.

Collector and dealer in obsolete currency. Always buying all obsolete bank notes and scrip.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file