Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

US Mint Breast Cancer Awareness $5 (rose)Gold Coin

mt_mslamt_msla Posts: 815 ✭✭✭✭

https://www.coinworld.com/content/dam/cw/news/2018/January/012918/breast-cancer-awareness-pink-gold/2018-W-pink-gold-half-eagle-merged.jpg

Will be available in Uncirculated as well as Proof. Image on the page only shows Proof.

Could be a one-of novelty. Mintage limited to 50,000, split between unc and proof.
85% gold, balance copper and zinc. No pricing info as of yet.

https://www.coinworld.com/news/us-coins/2018/01/us-mint-strikes-first-pink-gold-commemorative-coin.all.html

Insert witicism here. [ xxx ]

Comments

• Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,733 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ricko said:
    This will make a nice gift for those close to us that have, or are, going through this affliction. Cheers, RickO

I imagine this is true for many folks, but I can also imagine that this coin might be the last thing that others would want to receive or to give. I think back to my father, who passed away from lung cancer, and am pretty darn certain he would have wanted nothing to do with a lung cancer commem and I would want nothing to do with buying one for him.

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    mt_mslamt_msla Posts: 815 ✭✭✭✭

@TomB I understand where you are coming from; good point

Insert witicism here. [ xxx ]

• Options
    BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,413 ✭✭✭✭✭

Any type Cancer is a terrible affliction, including the type that the coin reflects. I lost too many family members to that disease.

I do think the coin could have been designed better though. How, I don't really have any advice.

The Obverse looks like it should belong to a coin honoring the Womens Suffrage Movement.

Pete

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon
  • Options
    WeissWeiss Posts: 9,935 ✭✭✭✭✭

I can see at least three potential issues with this...uhm, issue.

1) 85% gold? For a "gold" coin, this has to be one of the lowest purity "gold" pieces the US has ever made. You could argue the bimetallic pieces have less, but they're not a "gold coin". This isn't splitting hairs. The US is known for its standards and purity. This has the potential to damage our brand. We're not making coins more pure, like the recent .999 UHR saint or the .9999 fine high relief liberty coins. We're going backward. This is an entirely new category in terms of purity for us. Think about the 1976 Canadian $100 (.583 purity). I think its release caused a degree of confusion that damaged the Canadian precious metals brand for years. It's easy to dismiss this point, but I think it's really pretty important to consider the potential harm it could do.

2) Smelting? War nickels are not accepted by some smelters and I understand that is in part due to the difficulties in separating zinc from silver. This might not be an issue with gold. But I'd love to hear from some metallurgists: Is this gold/copper/zinc alloy difficult to smelt? If so, what will be the impact on the secondary market?

3 )Weight? The law states the weight for the silver and clad pieces. But unless I missed it, not for the gold piece. That seems strange. Will the "gold" coin weigh the same as other previously released half eagle commems? If so, at 85% purity, this coin will be at a disadvantage to every other .900 standard half eagle commem released in the last 30+ years, and every standard half eagle released since 1837. Or will this piece weigh more to make up for the difference in AGW, making it larger, and therefore incompatible with tubes, holders, and albums?

We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • Options
    RogerBRogerB Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭✭✭

The gold weight will be correct, but the alloy had to be different in order to produce the slightly "rose" color that was required by legislation. The difference in color is best seen when comparing on of these to normal coin gold or 0.9999 gold; also against jeweler's 18k gold.

The work on this was described in the Mint's Industry conference last fall.

• Options
    ShadyDaveShadyDave Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭✭✭

Only a bureaucrat could think something this dumb up...

• Options
    CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BuffaloIronTail said:
    Any type Cancer is a terrible affliction, including the type that the coin reflects. I lost too many family members to that disease.

I do think the coin could have been designed better though. How, I don't really have any advice.

The Obverse looks like it should belong to a coin honoring the Womens Suffrage Movement.

Pete

20 years ago I lost my dad to liver cancer. Nearly all of us have a similar story. No coin will cure that.

• Options
    morgandollar1878morgandollar1878 Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Weiss said:
    I can see at least three potential issues with this...uhm, issue.

1) 85% gold? For a "gold" coin, this has to be one of the lowest purity "gold" pieces the US has ever made. You could argue the bimetallic pieces have less, but they're not a "gold coin". This isn't splitting hairs. The US is known for its standards and purity. This has the potential to damage our brand. We're not making coins more pure, like the recent .999 UHR saint or the .9999 fine high relief liberty coins. We're going backward. This is an entirely new category in terms of purity for us. Think about the 1976 Canadian $100 (.583 purity). I think its release caused a degree of confusion that damaged the Canadian precious metals brand for years. It's easy to dismiss this point, but I think it's really pretty important to consider the potential harm it could do.

2) Smelting? War nickels are not accepted by some smelters and I understand that is in part due to the difficulties in separating zinc from silver. This might not be an issue with gold. But I'd love to hear from some metallurgists: Is this gold/copper/zinc alloy difficult to smelt? If so, what will be the impact on the secondary market?

3 )Weight? The law states the weight for the silver and clad pieces. But unless I missed it, not for the gold piece. That seems strange. Will the "gold" coin weigh the same as other previously released half eagle commems? If so, at 85% purity, this coin will be at a disadvantage to every other .900 standard half eagle commem released in the last 30+ years, and every standard half eagle released since 1837. Or will this piece weigh more to make up for the difference in AGW, making it larger, and therefore incompatible with tubes, holders, and albums?

In order to get gold to a pink color other metals have to be added in, mainly copper. So naturally the fineness of the gold is going to be lower due to this to get the pink color to show. 85% is still a little on the high side (about 20 carats) compared to 18 carats which is about the highest you normally see colored gold. Besides that this piece will be pretty unique as I do not recall any other coin being made from rose gold.

Instagram: nomad_numismatics
  • Options
    coinhackcoinhack Posts: 1,131 ✭✭✭✭

I was misled. I thought the coins were going to be domed shaped, like the baseball coins and have a nipple on them. I was in for a pair, but now I'm not sure.

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,776 ✭✭✭✭✭

@coinhack said:
    I was misled. I thought the coins were going to be domed shaped, like the baseball coins and have a nipple on them. I was in for a pair, but now I'm not sure.

That was probably in poor taste, but I suppose it was an opportunity that could not be missed.... ;)

• Options

@ShadyDave said:
    Only a bureaucrat could think something this dumb up...

It was a Member of Congress. "Bureaucrats" tend to be practical people. ;)

• Options
    WeissWeiss Posts: 9,935 ✭✭✭✭✭

@morgandollar1878 said:

In order to get gold to a pink color other metals have to be added in, mainly copper. So naturally the fineness of the gold is going to be lower due to this to get the pink color to show. 85% is still a little on the high side (about 20 carats) compared to 18 carats which is about the highest you normally see colored gold. Besides that this piece will be pretty unique as I do not recall any other coin being made from rose gold.

It's entirely possible to make a rose gold coin out of .900 gold. The mint apparently needed to reduce the gold purity to possibly the lowest level ever offered by the US in order to make this coin neon pink.

Behold the 2015 Australilan Kimberley Sunset 2 ounce rose gold coin

Proof Quality 22-carat Pink Gold
    Struck by The Perth Mint from 22-carat (91.67%) pink gold in proof quality, the coin contains 2oz of pure gold

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=34&v=ZJhAlmywmYw

http://www.perthmint.com.au/kimberley-sunset-2015-two-ounce-pink-gold-proof-high-relief-coin.aspx

We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • Options
    morgandollar1878morgandollar1878 Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Weiss said:

@morgandollar1878 said:

It's entirely possible to make a rose gold coin out of .900 gold. The mint apparently needed to reduce the gold purity to possibly the lowest level ever offered by the US in order to make this coin neon pink.

Behold the 2015 Australilan Kimberley Sunset 2 ounce rose gold coin

Proof Quality 22-carat Pink Gold
    Struck by The Perth Mint from 22-carat (91.67%) pink gold in proof quality, the coin contains 2oz of pure gold

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=34&v=ZJhAlmywmYw

http://www.perthmint.com.au/kimberley-sunset-2015-two-ounce-pink-gold-proof-high-relief-coin.aspx

I never said that it wasn't possible. I said that it "normally" is the highest you see rose gold. I would think that the one that the US mint is making would be slightly more pink than the one that you mentioned due to the fact that it has a lower percentage of gold in it. The lower the percentage the less of a color change.

Thanks for sharing the Australilan picece, looks like it was pretty recently done since it was made in 2015.

Instagram: nomad_numismatics
  • Options
    hchcoinhchcoin Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭✭✭

My guess is this coin will be very popular with very strong demand.

• Options
    edited January 23, 2018 4:48PM

@hchcoin said:
    My guess is this coin will be very popular with very strong demand.

My first inclination was to laugh when I read this, as almost all commems are issued with that same optimism (if only from the legislation's sponsors). But, I think you could be right. In addition to the collector demand, more than a few may end up as pendants or other jewelry.

• Options
    kiyotekiyote Posts: 5,568 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am for most commemoratives. When most people dismiss commemoratives as being PC, I’m all for it. I especially like seeing women and minorities on coins because I think they’re under represented.

Breast Cancer awareness, however, is not under represented. It’s the 800 pound gorilla of cancer fundraising. I just hope this doesn’t spiral into a “what about me?” Set of commemorative coins for Alzheimer’s, Prostate Cancer and other maladies.

"I'll split the atom! I am the fifth dimension! I am the eighth wonder of the world!" -Gef the talking mongoose.
  • Options
    dmwestdmwest Posts: 947 ✭✭✭✭

@JBK said:
    My first inclination was to laugh when I read this, as almost all commems are issued with that same optimism (if only the legislation's sponsors). But, I think you could be right. In addition to the collector demand, more than a few may end up as pendants or other jewelry.

That's exactly what I was thinking....this will be turned into Jewelry...

Don't quote me on that.

• Options
    stevebensteveben Posts: 4,596 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JBK said:

@coinhack said:

That was probably in poor taste, but I suppose it was an opportunity that could not be missed.... ;)

there are some bad fakes already out there...they are made of silicone.

i have also heard there is a clasp that can be hard to undo when you want to get the coin out.

finally, i prefer those with the D mint mark.

• Options
    edited January 23, 2018 5:11PM

@steveben said:
    i have also heard there is a clasp that can be hard to undo when you want to get the coin out.

There are definitely some interesting possibilities for the packaging for this coin.

finally, i prefer those with the D mint mark.

Maybe if you are lucky there will be repunched mintmark variety - D/D.

• Options

Oh boy :o

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 23, 2018 9:34PM

I've been wondering when they might issue a pink gold coin. This is a classy and worthy cause.

• Options

Oh boy X2 :o

• Options
    drei3reedrei3ree Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 24, 2018 5:24AM

If you have a loved one that has breast cancer or has passed from this horrible disease, the "humor" really stings.

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,485 ✭✭✭✭✭

The added copper makes one wonder how stable this coin is going to be. I would hate to think of spending $450 or $500 on a coin and then have it grow spots or streaks. I wish that it was in “normal gold” instead looking for some sort of gimmick to make it more attractive to the general public.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,413 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 24, 2018 10:37AM

@BillJones said:
    The added copper makes one wonder how stable this coin is going to be. I would hate to think of spending $450 or $500 on a coin and then have it grow spots or streaks. I wish that it was in “normal gold” instead looking for some sort of gimmick to make it more attractive to the general public.

I agree...........The Mint dollied the coin up to make it more attractive to "non collectors".

Pete

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon
  • Options

@BillJones said:
    The added copper makes one wonder how stable this coin is going to be. I would hate to think of spending $450 or $500 on a coin and then have it grow spots or streaks.

Excellent point that I had never considered. If they don't get the mix right these will be a disaster from a stability standpoint. So-called "copper spots" (I know, that term is debated) can show up on higher purities, so I wonder what could happen here.

• Options

RE: "The Mint dollied the coin up to make it more attractive to 'non collectors'."

For the third time - The legislation required use of "rose gold." The U.S. Mint had no choice in the matter. Blame Congress, not the Mint people!

• Options
    nurmalernurmaler Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭

As of today's spot gold, the Proof would be $436 ($431 introductory discount) and the Uncirculated $426 ($421)

• Options
    MilesWaitsMilesWaits Posts: 5,310 ✭✭✭✭✭

I appreciate the Mint when they come out with these issues that save me money, like this years Platinum, that gives my CC a break till something attractive surfaces.

Now riding the swell in PM's and surf.
  • Options
    cruisersk1cruisersk1 Posts: 190 ✭✭✭

@drei3ree said:
    If you have a loved one that has breast cancer or has passed from this horrible disease, the "humor" really stings.

My wife is going through it right now and humor is really needed with all of the other non humorous stuff you have to deal with. The domed nippled pair was pretty funny.

• Options
    cruisersk1cruisersk1 Posts: 190 ✭✭✭
    edited March 12, 2018 11:33AM

(50000 total coins across all 6 different coins. I think these will sell out in no time. I just hope I can get 1 of each in my cart before they sell out.)

Opps, I guess its just the gold.

• Options
    dmwestdmwest Posts: 947 ✭✭✭✭

@cruisersk1 said:

@drei3ree said:

My wife is going through it right now and humor is really needed with all of the other non humorous stuff you have to deal with. The domed nippled pair was pretty funny.

I find in most of life’s trials humor is often the one trait that keeps us going...here’s to your wife kicking cancers ass and laughing all the way.

D2

Don't quote me on that.

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,971 ✭✭✭✭✭

@cruisersk1 said:
    (50000 total coins across all 6 different coins. I think these will sell out in no time. I just hope I can get 1 of each in my cart before they sell out.)

Opps, I guess its just the gold.

I think that's probably 50,000 proofs and 50,000 uncs.

• Options
    kiyotekiyote Posts: 5,568 ✭✭✭✭✭

20 years ago I lost my dad to liver cancer. Nearly all of us have a similar story. No coin will cure that.

Look what the March of Dimes did for infant paralysis. It’s not even an issue anymore. As many people as breast cancer claims, I would love to see this issue sell out raise a lot of money for research.

"I'll split the atom! I am the fifth dimension! I am the eighth wonder of the world!" -Gef the talking mongoose.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file