Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Saddle Ridge Hoard

Comments

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes... the treasure hunter's dream....and still no explanation....at least not one that can be proved. There could well be more such treasures... actually, there probably are.... waiting to be discovered. Keep dreaming... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    Peace_dollar88Peace_dollar88 Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭✭✭

Cool story. what would that be like?

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,788 ✭✭✭✭✭

I was always a bit suspicious of the origin. The mInt had a heist about the same time for a similar amount of money but apparently that connection was dismissed.

• Options
    jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,603 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 9, 2018 8:10PM

The 1886-s $10 pictured in the article is owned by a customer of mine, its truly unbelievable . There were four 1886-s, two in 5 and 2 in 66,(finer by 2-3 grades than any known prior) he got one of the 66's, and one of kagins premier customers got the other.

• Options
    ElmerFusterpuckElmerFusterpuck Posts: 4,627 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hard to believe it's been almost 4 years since that broke! I did manage to get one of the best '89-S's in 63 at a not too crazy price (compared to some of the other dates). I've seen very few up for resale; the ones that did went for good prices. I also heard some got crossed to NGC and received higher grades. Either way, it got a lot of my non-collecting friends talking about coins, which was a good thing.

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 9, 2018 10:16PM

Beautiful coin @Lakesammman! That CC is the one that really stands out for me in this collection.

CoinWorld featured this signature piece which is also recognizable but not as nice.

https://www.coinworld.com/news/us-coins/2014/05/early-saddle-ridge-hoard-gold-coin-sales-total-in-millions.all.html#

• Options
    Rich49Rich49 Posts: 189 ✭✭✭
    edited January 10, 2018 8:32AM

I always thought that it was accumulative payroll stagecoach robberies stash and the culprits were killed at some point or died in prison.

photo index.gif

• Options

@Rich49 said:
    I always thought that it was accumulative payroll stagecoach robberies stash and the culprits were killed at some point or died in prison.

That is as good a theory as any....

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,850 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm glad we have hoarders. Just met a gentleman who knew a customer that frequented the shop, long before I purchased it, but I did meet him and he did buy a little from me. He was a sweet old guy. Let's call him "Saddler" for short.
    The old guy passed away a few years back, I found out. His friend knows his family and his family knows he buried his loot. 1.5 tons of silver , mostly 90%.
    Of course, many can blow the information off as hogwash, B.S. etc., but you gotta believe this has been happening for centuries.
    Since we've used gold that long, we have to imagine it gets buried.... again and again. The Saddle Ridge Hoard sparks the interest, for sure. Who believes ? What does it matter where it comes from ? The mint made it.

And I like digging stuff up, too. It's what brought me here to the boards so long ago. Digging stuff up. :smile:

• Options
    RogerBRogerB Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭✭✭

This hoard also reminds us of the high quality produced and released by the US Mints. These coins went through all the normal production, review, counting and bagging steps before they got to a bank or the original owner. The coins were not "specimens" or other such dramatically-hyped nonsense - they were ordinary run-of-the-mill coins.

• Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,992 ✭✭✭✭✭

@TwoSides2aCoin said:
    I'm glad we have hoarders. Just met a gentleman who knew a customer that frequented the shop, long before I purchased it, but I did meet him and he did buy a little from me. He was a sweet old guy. Let's call him "Saddler" for short.
    The old guy passed away a few years back, I found out. His friend knows his family and his family knows he buried his loot. 1.5 tons of silver , mostly 90%.
    Of course, many can blow the information off as hogwash, B.S. etc., but you gotta believe this has been happening for centuries.
    Since we've used gold that long, we have to imagine it gets buried.... again and again. The Saddle Ridge Hoard sparks the interest, for sure. Who believes ? What does it matter where it comes from ? The mint made it.

And I like digging stuff up, too. It's what brought me here to the boards so long ago. Digging stuff up. :smile:

Some dig it up; some stir it up, but it's all good.

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,821 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 11, 2018 8:59AM

That story had my attention, and I don't know if we will ever know how it got there or where it came from but I would say there are many more treasures out there some where just waiting to be uncovered.

• Options
    SCDHunterSCDHunter Posts: 686 ✭✭✭

Interesting. What sort of premiums are being paid for the Saddle Ridge coins?

• Options
    jwittenjwitten Posts: 5,077 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Lakesammman said:
    Still have my rusty coin - one of the few CC's. Thanks for the reminder of a great story.

And you still know who to sell it to if you ever decide to sell... ;)

• Options
    CascadeChrisCascadeChris Posts: 2,519 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm say it's a Redfield stash. He hid so much scattered everywhere that it's possible methinks

The more you VAM..
  • Options

"Most of the coins are $20 gold pieces minted in San Francisco after 1854, during the gold rush. However, there also some earlier coins minted in Georgia, which raises the question of how they found their way to California."

For fun lets say 1000 coins were $20 pcs. and the rest (411) $5 pcs. That is a estimated $22,550.dollars face . Using 1854 In today's dollars adjusted for inflation around $603,964.76 !!! http://www.in2013dollars.com/1854-dollars-in-2018?amount=22550. Average wage then about $2-$4 a week.

photo index.gif

• Options
    edited January 12, 2018 3:52PM

@Rich49 said:
    That is a estimated $22,550.dollars face . Using 1854 In today's dollars adjusted for inflation around $603,964.76 !!! http://www.in2013dollars.com/1854-dollars-in-2018?amount=22550. Average wage then about $2-$4 a week.

Did they have drug dealers back then? There was no income tax in those days so it was not tax evasion.

Might well have been a miserly rich person but I still fancy that it was ill gotten gains of some sort.

• Options

Yes they did have drug addicts too Heroin Opium Morphine Drugs were around and many "Wonder Drugs" were peddled then

photo index.gif

• Options
    AotearoaAotearoa Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭✭✭

Let’s imagine I have $10m in dirty money. I buy gold coins here and there up to that value and bury them on my property. I then “find” those coins and, voila, I’m one step away from having $10m in clean money.
    Of course this scenario doesn’t pass muster in this case due to the recognisability of the coins...

Smitten with DBLCs.

• Options
    stevebensteveben Posts: 4,596 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Lakesammman great coin! of the ones i could afford, that was one that i wanted most from the hoard.

• Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,302 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jwitten said:

@Lakesammman said:
    Still have my rusty coin - one of the few CC's. Thanks for the reminder of a great story.

And you still know who to sell it to if you ever decide to sell... ;)

Ah, thanks. I appreciate you thinking of me and reminding him :)

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    SCDHunterSCDHunter Posts: 686 ✭✭✭

Thanks northcoin for your analysis. I was curious as to the makeup of the hoard and could not seem to find it on the internet.

Has anyone attempted a forensic analysis of the containers to identify their origin?

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,563 ✭✭✭✭✭

@northcoin An excellent analysis. There are of course other possibilities. Take for instance the low number of 1891 coins. The lack of that date could be explained away if he took a trip that year, let's say to the East Coast to visit family, but that of course is just a WAG.
    Either he did not accumulate much gold that year because he was away, or he did but he simply used his 1891 coins to pay for the trip rather than burying them. There would be no reason to dig up older dates and spend them, as they were all just money.
    Or he could have gone to the Columbian Exposition in 1893. He certainly could have afforded it. If he grabbed some coins out of a can for spending money, he might have grabbed a group of 1891's because they were near the top of the heap. Again, these are all WAG's.

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

Every time I drive through Genoa, NV I think of this

https://www.legendsofamerica.com/gold-coins-genoa-hills/

:):):o:):)

• Options
    northcoinnorthcoin Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 13, 2018 8:42PM

@topstuf said:
    Every time I drive through Genoa, NV I think of this

https://www.legendsofamerica.com/gold-coins-genoa-hills/

:):):o:):)

Within 30 miles of Genoa gold was discovered in Dayton Nevada at least a decade earlier than the events referenced in your link. This discovery of gold in Nevada was concurrent with the California Gold Rush even though the more notorious Comstock Lode with its gold and silver bonanza was yet ten years distant.

"Modern mining began in Nevada in 1849 with the discovery of placer gold in a stream flowing into the Carson River near the present town of Dayton. This discovery, made by Mormon '49ers on their way to the California gold fields, led others upstream into what was later known as the Virginia Range to find the croppings of the Comstock Lode in 1859."

nbmg.unr.edu/mining/MiningHistory.html

And here is some interesting history about Genoa itself which was reportedly the first established community in Nevada:

"Since most of the men in Reese's party were Mormon, the location became known as Mormon Station. After building a trading post, Reese built a house and sent for his family in New York. Later, Reese added a blacksmith shop and a large corral for livestock.

The Overland Emigrant Trail passed down what is now Genoa's Main Street. Reese's operation did very well and when the Mormons were called back to Salt Lake City in 1857, Reese decided to stay to protect his business and extensive land claims. A great deal of buying, trading and selling of land went on during these early years. Reese did return to Salt Lake City in 1859 after business reversals.

Orson Hyde, an elder in the Mormon Church, was sent to "Mormon Station", Utah Territory, to set up a government, survey the town into lots, and define the state line between California and Utah Territory. He renamed Mormon Station "Genoa" in 1855. As the story goes, Hyde admired Christopher Columbus and so named the town site "Genoa" after Columbus's birth place, Genoa, Italy."

genoanevada.org/history.htm

• Options
    edited January 13, 2018 9:20PM

@EagleEye said:
    The key is the coins were buried after 1894 (the latest date found). 1893 was the year of the banking crisis and if you owned that much gold you would not put it into a bank. It might go under the next week. The smart thing to do was to bury it. Of course you should go back and dig it up before you die.

Morgan helps end the Panic of 1893

Another factoid that may be of relevance. 500,000 some people lost their lives in the United States in the influenza epidemic that coincided with the end of World War I. (More deaths than in all the wars the United States has ever participated in total.) That would be within a decade or two of when the coins were likely buried.

Whole families were wiped out at once which might explain why those close to the person who buried the coins didn't survive to retrieve the treasure either.

• Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,887 ✭✭✭✭✭

Or maybe he was eaten by a bear.
    Lance.

• Options
    botanistbotanist Posts: 524 ✭✭✭

It's a plausible assumption the person(s) who stashed the gold coins died very unexpectedly. There are thousands of possible ways that could've happened, even such as the cataclysmic earthquake of April 1906, causing over 3400 deaths in San Francisco alone, with additional uncounted casualties over an extended area along the fault zone.

The key to the mystery might be the exact location of the find, a location still being kept secret, and the land ownership records of that time period. Obviously whoever hid the coins was rich enough to buy an enormous parcel. Wouldn't you prefer to stash such a large fortune on a piece of land you controlled?

• Options
    BillyKingsleyBillyKingsley Posts: 2,661 ✭✭✭✭

One thought about the years of the coins found...it doesn't really tell us when anything happened. Look in your pockets and see how many are from the current year. Not many, if at all, especially early in a year. Was it any different back then? I doubt it. The one thing it does tell us is that it can't be before a specific year...but to assume all were stashed the year they were made is a leap into folly, I believe.

Billy Kingsley ANA R-3146356 Cardboard History // Numismatic History
  • Options
    spacehaydukespacehayduke Posts: 5,476 ✭✭✭✭✭

@botanist said:
    It's a plausible assumption the person(s) who stashed the gold coins died very unexpectedly. There are thousands of possible ways that could've happened, even such as the cataclysmic earthquake of April 1906, causing over 3400 deaths in San Francisco alone, with additional uncounted casualties over an extended area along the fault zone.

The key to the mystery might be the exact location of the find, a location still being kept secret, and the land ownership records of that time period. Obviously whoever hid the coins was rich enough to buy an enormous parcel. Wouldn't you prefer to stash such a large fortune on a piece of land you controlled?

Assuming Saddle Ridge was in the foothills of the Sierras there was not enough energy from the 1906 SF EQ to do too much damage, so any deaths there would have been a fluke and I think a demise of the hoarder from this is unlikely, unless he/she made regular trips from close to SF to the hoard burial site to make deposits. OTH, if in the hills around the Bay, then possibly.......

Best, SH

Successful transactions with-Boosibri,lkeigwin,TomB,Broadstruck,coinsarefun,Type2,jom,ProfLiz, UltraHighRelief,Barndog,EXOJUNKIE,ldhair,fivecents,paesan,Crusty...
  • Options
    shorecollshorecoll Posts: 5,445 ✭✭✭✭✭

One interesting side note on lead-soldered cans. They have tested food preserved in those cans in the 1800's and found that it was still fresh (except for the lead poisoning).

ANA-LM, NBS, EAC
  • Options
    No HeadlightsNo Headlights Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭✭✭

Perhaps the owner was in San Francisco for an ill timed vacation at the time of the earthquake

• Options
    leothelyonleothelyon Posts: 8,365 ✭✭✭✭✭

The indians got him.

The more qualities observed in a coin, the more desirable that coin becomes!

My Jefferson Nickel Collection

• Options
    edited January 15, 2018 1:25AM

@leothelyon said:
    The indians got him.

Bears, Indians, or Earthquake? Returning to the impact of the 1918 flu pandemic that took the lives of 20-40 million people world wide, California was not untouched. Reportedly there were 1,000 deaths in San Francisco alone, and that is after its population had already been depleted by the 1906 earthquake.

"By the end of October, San Francisco had experienced a total of nearly 20,000 cases of influenza and over 1,000 deaths."

https://influenzaarchive.org/cities/city-sanfrancisco.html#

Then too, who is to say the owner of the coins didn't just live into old age, having withdrawn from his "bank" over the years as needed. As noted above, there was evidence that the cans were dug up over the years and even though the initial assumption is that coins were added, there is just as much reason to suspect that coins could have been withdrawn from the cans themselves or other cans that were emptied. The underlying point being that whoever buried these coins obviously did not trust banks or did not want his name associated with a large deposit in a bank that could be traced to him for whatever reasons, legal or illegal.

Here is the referenced "as noted above" statement:

"McCarthy [of Kagins} said he was able to identify the canisters as Golden Gate brand baking powder cans of a style used in the middle 1880s, which was consistent with the dates of the coins in them (1847-1894).

Though he did not reveal where the coins were found, he described the location as in a “fairly remote area near several property lines.” He also said the spot was hidden from view on three sides along a ridge line path that the couple used to walk their dog.

There was evidence that some of the canisters were dug up and more coins added to the hoard, including damaged coins. He estimated that coins were added to the hoard over a period of 15 or 20 years."

• Options
    edited January 15, 2018 3:56PM

@shorecoll said:
    One interesting side note on lead-soldered cans. They have tested food preserved in those cans in the 1800's and found that it was still fresh (except for the lead poisoning).

Apparently lead poisoning was identified as at least a contributing cause of death for the ill fated members of the circa 1845-1848 Franklin Arctic Expedition but whether the primary source of the lead was from the lead-soldered cans or the lead pipes on the ship remains debatable.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Franklin%27s_lost_expedition

• Options

Not likely lead poisoning was the reason for a sudden death and the loss of the hoard, because it's usually an extremely long lingering illness.

We're at a tremendous disadvantage in guessing about this. The Kagins, their employees, associates, confidants, friends and relatives probably already know the major details, as they surely followed up on the land ownership records, based on the location where found. They're keeping it secret for the sake of the current land owners, as they say, but also had (have) another very strong incentive. Shrouding the stash in mystery tends to justify the substantial premiums charged for the coins.

But as long as we're guessing about it, I think the c.1918 flu pandemic is also a far-fetched explanation, it was after much too long a gap. Even the deadly 1906 earthquake is probably too far out. My hunch is whatever happened was within a few years after the last definite date we have from the coins, 1894.

If major events played a role, we should consider the Alaska gold rush of 1896-99, with numerous related deaths, and we know the person who made the stash treasured gold enormously. Might his original motive to hide the fortune in a secure location been due to leaving California for the northern gold fields?

• Options
    edited January 15, 2018 7:26PM

@botanist said:

If major events played a role, we should consider the Alaska gold rush of 1896-99, with numerous related deaths, and we know the person who made the stash treasured gold enormously. Might his original motive to hide the fortune in a secure location been due to leaving California for the northern gold fields?

Excellent suggestion.

Maybe he did so well with his findings in the Klondike and on the beaches of Nome that he didn't bother to return for the chump change he left behind. :)

• Options
    hchcoinhchcoin Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great thread.

• Options
    RegulatedRegulated Posts: 2,992 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 15, 2018 9:48PM

@yosclimber said:

The type of can used to hold the coins.

We discussed these cans in the original thread on April 30, 2014:
    https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/911608/1861-s-paquet-in-the-saddle-ridge-hoard-update-status-of-1-2-million-dollar-coin/p2

The can that the SRH family gifted to me was the JA Folger's Golden Gate Brand Baking Powder Can - the Saddle Ridge Hoard can is a little earlier than the one in this picture, and has an embossed top, as well as a wire handle. I just had the opportunity to display it at the Old SF Mint for the California Historical Society's Gala on Thursday night, and it still wows people as much as almost any coin.

What is now proved was once only imagined. - William Blake
  • Options
    yosclimberyosclimber Posts: 4,599 ✭✭✭✭✭

Perhaps one of these is a little closer to the embossed top can?

• Options
    RegulatedRegulated Posts: 2,992 ✭✭✭✭✭

The can in question is slightly tapered. I'll have to take a photo of it to post.

What is now proved was once only imagined. - William Blake
  • Options
    KkathylKkathyl Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am sure we have many more to unearth. Great story.

Best place to buy !
    Bronze Associate member

• Options
    edited January 16, 2018 8:40AM

There're still opportunities to get a piece of the action. Kagin's website currently lists 6 SRH coins ranging from a low of $5500 up to 40,000. The coin for 5500 is an 1892-S double eagle MS63, PCGS price guide 2750. Nah.

But the 40K coin is an 1870S $20 MS62, normally valued at 23,500 according to PCGS. However, if you think it's undergraded by a point, an MS63 is priced in the guide for $65,000. As slabbed the coin even has touches of rust remaining from a Folger's Golden Gate Baking Powder can, such as the two wonderfully illustrated above by yosclimber. Whaddya say? Tempting?

Ebay today has four SRH coins, and Amazon just one, a "damaged" 1863 $20, not left over from the original Amazon sales, but a relisted piece, the reverse looking okay for an AU, but the obverse eroded smooth.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file