Home U.S. Coin Forum

PCGS Didn't Like The Color on This Buffalo, What Do You Think of it?

KyleKyle Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

I picked this coin up off eBay, back in September and it was sent in with the '81-S morgan I posted the other day. Unfortunately, PCGS didn't like it, so it came back in an Unc Details (questionable color) slab. I'm curious what you think of it.

Successful BST Transactions With: tonedase, streg2, airplanenut, coindeuce, vibr0nic, natetrook, Shrub68, golden, Lakesammman, drddm, Ilikecolor, CoinJunkie, wondercoin, lablover

Comments

• JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,810 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like it.

• gonzergonzer Posts: 2,989 ✭✭✭✭✭

Toning would look more appropriate on an early Lincoln

• FairlanemanFairlaneman Posts: 10,404 ✭✭✭✭✭

I wonder what the difference is between yours and mine.

Ken

• CommemKingCommemKing Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't know the problem but it looks great in my book.

• TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭

kinda funky color

Frank

BHNC #203

• JRoccoJRocco Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭✭

Don't they use sniffers and dowsing wands and all other sorts of secret stuff ?
    Maybe they detected something done to the coin long ago ?
    Not sure but it looks very nice to me.

Some coins are just plain "Interesting"
  • BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,477 ✭✭✭✭✭

The color looks too bright to me, especially above the Buffalo's back and behind the Indian's head. The colors are more subtle on fairlaneman's coin.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • FairlanemanFairlaneman Posts: 10,404 ✭✭✭✭✭

The Op's coin does look brighter but I thought it was just because a Pro took the picture. What I was looking at was the color progression which seems to be the same especially on the reverse.

Ken

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

The color on that Buff does not look at all right to me.....I would evaluate that as an accelerated tarnish coin....The uniformity of the brown/copper color with the recessed rainbow areas are real red flags for me. Cheers, RickO

• shorecollshorecoll Posts: 5,445 ✭✭✭✭✭

Since Weimar White and others proved they can copy any color pattern, I can't begin to guess how they decide NT/AT.

ANA-LM, NBS, EAC
  • BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,408 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm not good at judging toning. The "sniffer" comment made by JRocco above might just be what happened.

I'll bet PCGS has "super secrets" just like the Government does.

Pete

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon
  • keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

purple is always a tip-off color, too much of it the wrong way usually means AT. though it is a pretty coin the color looks odd.

• Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,144 ✭✭✭✭✭

The colors look a little too bold, like possibly enhanced.

Also, I don't think PCGS applies 'sniffers' to every coin submitted, only those sent in for Secure Plus holdering - unless something has changed.

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • FranklinHalfAddictFranklinHalfAddict Posts: 651 ✭✭✭✭✭

Something about it just doesn't look "right."

• gripgrip Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭

The buff is missing pink shoes.

• ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭

High mint state 38's are not very expensive to do a science project on. If you get it right you can make some dough. Get it wrong and ruin a coin.

• 3Legs3Legs Posts: 103 ✭✭

I've seen many like that in PCGS holders over the years. I don't know why they had a problem with that one.

• johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,489 ✭✭✭✭✭

i love the coin but im none to sure about the color. the jury is still out with me. jmo

• gripgrip Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭

My guess would be the reverse colors are just to vibrant.

• crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,801 ✭✭✭✭✭

It appears they don’t like pink. They shot one of mine down for the same color :D
    It looks just fine to me . Compared some silver eagles that are ridiculously artificially toned in pcgs holders I sure do not understand why this one got shot down. Just venting I guess.

The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • CCGGGCCGGG Posts: 1,267 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 6, 2018 10:43AM

I usually don't like any toned coins but that one looks pretty cool to me. Since I don't buy, sell or study toned coins I couldn't comment on the questionable color but it is one of the more eye appealing examples I've seen.

• goldengolden Posts: 9,050 ✭✭✭✭✭

I agree with PCGS.

• TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,832 ✭✭✭✭✭

Crack, dip, re-submit. :joy:

• SkyManSkyMan Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭✭✭

IMO there is a large amount of AT stuff in both major TPG slabs. Wait a year to 18 months and resubmit.

• 291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,934 ✭✭✭✭✭

When you play the "color" game you are just rolling the dice. Don't waste any more money by resubmitting this very common date nickel.

All glory is fleeting.
  • YouYou Posts: 141 ✭✭✭

I don't like how the color climbs up onto the devices. Look especially at the buffalo's front leg all the way to the left. That green color should not be there.

• davewesendavewesen Posts: 5,838 ✭✭✭✭✭

purple on nickel means cooked

it looks nice, but is not natural

• oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,889 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks pretty nifty to me!

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • toyz4geotoyz4geo Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭✭✭

@FadeToBlack said:
    Saw it in hand and thought it was ok. Might be worth a retry if you really want the holder lol.

I had a '36-D come back questionable color. Resubmitted and it came back

• TomBTomB Posts: 20,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Although I have seen similar colors on 1938-D Buffs, I don't recall seeing them with the color so deep on both sides. If I saw that coin raw I would guess it was enhanced.

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• MarkInDavisMarkInDavis Posts: 1,699 ✭✭✭✭

I'm on the fence.

image Respectfully, Mark
  • erwindocerwindoc Posts: 4,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

Maybe send it to NGC to see what they think.

• koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

Pink, purple, whatever-this one slabbed perfectly OK for me (MS-64.)

• Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Fairlaneman said: "I wonder what the difference is between yours and mine."

IMO, lot's. Read the posts.

• TonerGuyTonerGuy Posts: 590 ✭✭✭

I think its fine and would resubmit. Im not Buff expert but I have Buffs with similar toning that got straight graded. And I have one with the same greens that got rejected that will go back someday.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file