Home U.S. Coin Forum

Exonumia values keep rising... How are your Coins doing?

BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited December 31, 2017 3:22AM in U.S. Coin Forum

Some areas within exonumia in the last 5-10 years have steadily risen 400-500% in value.

Do you own any coins which have appreciated the same having held them for the same period of time?

If so post yours :)

Off the top of my head I think I only own one purchased a decade ago...

To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!

Comments

• BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,839 ✭✭✭✭✭

100%, maybe my 1847-O $5 or rare Civil War dated gold, 400-500%, nope.

• CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

One would need an upgrade or two for that type of performance.

• 291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,898 ✭✭✭✭✭

Have they risen 4-500% when it comes time to sell or have margins on that type of material increased?

All glory is fleeting.
  • topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

Have all 11 exonumia collectors experienced that same rate of appreciation? ;)

• thebeavthebeav Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice looking '11 D eagle, by the way !

• OuthaulOuthaul Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭✭✭

Exonumia values will not continue to rise as I have now begun to collect in this area. To the contrary, they will go down like a one-legged man doing the hokey-pokey. You will not see another rise until I divest myself of my collection...at a considerable loss, of course.

Cheers and Happy New Year!

Bob

• BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 31, 2017 7:19AM

@291fifth said:
    Have they risen 4-500% when it comes time to sell or have margins on that type of material increased?

I'm talking auction hammer prices as I finally had a chance to view Steve Hayden's completed sales prices of exonumia from his December auction. There's a lot that's now selling for 4-5 times what it was fetching 5-10 years ago. Some series are on fire in just the last couple years which used to just collect dust as they had no collector base.

• BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭

@topstuf said:

I'll have you know there's always been at least a minimum of 12 of us! ;):D

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Broadstruck ... that is a very attractive '11D $10 gold piece.... Might be the picture, but the luster almost glows....Cheers, RickO

• BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,427 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't have any coins that have done as well as the exonumia prices that you cite. I have quite a large collection of exonumia in addition to the coins. Perhaps that will bail me out when it comes time to sell.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • SCDHunterSCDHunter Posts: 686 ✭✭✭

@topstuf said:

Those numbers are increasing, satisfying the demand side of the well-known fundamentals for cost. :)

• SCDHunterSCDHunter Posts: 686 ✭✭✭

• coinsarefuncoinsarefun Posts: 21,663 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Broadstruck said:

>

This has been on my list for years but haven't found a nice AU58 like yours so it appears it will be a very long wait.
    And thank goodness I switched a few years back to Exonumia and sold most of my coins as it lets me enjoy the hobby with out losing my shirt....shoes, pants and some body parts

• ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,811 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 31, 2017 9:40AM

Are prices rising across the board or only the top condition and absolute rarities?

Lesher dollars are an area where everything rose and stayed up a while back.

• coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,719 ✭✭✭✭✭

Exonumia seems broad... Do you have some examples? I am not doubting that prices are rising, I am more interested in what sectors have done well. Also, some of these items seem to be thinly traded. Maybe that is changing and explains part of the appreciation.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,427 ✭✭✭✭✭

Are prices rising across the board or only the top condition and absolute rarities?

The absolute rarities and top condition pieces are doing the best, but even the lower grade material in the main areas like Civil War tokens, sutler tokens and 19th century presidential medalets have all gone up fairly well. The better Hard Times token prices are like a yo-yo. They have way up and come way down then gone up again although not as high. I think that reflects a thin market with a limited supply and some in and out big players.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • DCWDCW Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭✭✭

I agree with BillJones, except for Sutlers which seem to be a bargain right now with some key players selling off their entire collections (ie. Rick Irons.)
    Political tokens, especially those featuring Lincoln are doing well. Bolen pieces are on fire, perhaps inexplicably so. Here is an example:
    From Hayden's auction in 6/2013, Washington/Lincoln "mule" by Bolen/Merriam. $531

And the same piece, better pics. 11/2017 $3,360

What a difference 4 years and a broader bidding spectrum can make. I wanted this one badly, but I was blown out of the water a couple thousand dollars back!

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
    "Coin collecting for outcasts..."

• sellitstoresellitstore Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭✭✭

@topstuf said:

I think that's just the point.

A couple of more collectors with some money and prices go up. Eleven more would double the number of collectors and send prices through the roof.

In a thin market a few more or less collectors makes bigger differences in prices than in more widely traded markets.

Collector and dealer in obsolete currency. Always buying all obsolete bank notes and scrip.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file