Home U.S. Coin Forum

So I got this really nice 1809 cent...

renomedphysrenomedphys Posts: 3,599 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited September 20, 2018 6:15PM in U.S. Coin Forum

And just want to share it with anybody who, like me, finds that a bit peculiar.

First off, I'm a cent collector. Other denominations just don't do it for me. And several times I have been a type collector. My first experience with Classic Head Cents was borne out of a hole in my 7070 album, like lots of you I'm sure. Now, back in the day, any old Classic Cent date would do, but tastes change, and time does funny things, and well, I started trying to build out that set with dates that seemed significant. Naturally, I took notice of the 1809 cent, because hey, I am at the core, a Lincoln Cent guy. (why is this relevant?)

Anyway, this date presents with a lot of challenges. I mean, Classic Cents in general are kinda like the forgotten stepchildren of the Mint. I'm guessing that production quality in cents wasn't really high on the priority list. I think there was a lot of bad copper stock going into the planchets, so generally even better grade coins just look crummy. I'm not an expert per se, and I'm sure some of you could expand on this better than I can.

For most dates, however, nice pieces can be found. For 1809... good luck! Special mention of this is even made in some Redbook editions, as having much weaker obverses than reverses. For whatever reason, they just mostly look like deteriorating copper does after time in the ground.

So I'm sure you can imagine I was happy when I saw this one. It looks to me, in hand, much the same as a nice AU 1974 cent would. I mean, the die alignment wasn't great, but the planchet and the surfaces are excellent. Lots of luster in the crevices, and some nice gunmetal blue behind the head... an old fingerprint that's in the metal, which actually makes it "charming". There is some PVC residue in the lettering, especially on the reverse, which just tells me that it hasn't been messed with.

And it's in an Old Green Holder.

And even more importantly, it actually looks like a coin.

GTG?

Comments

• FlatwoodsFlatwoods Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's extremely nice.
    The main reason the early copper holes arent filled in my type set, most look like they lost a knife fight.

• LoveMyLibertyLoveMyLiberty Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭

Just guessing,,,MS-63, 64
    Die state Ummm V.
    Nice coin with a decent planchet
    S-280

My Type Set

R.I.P. Bear image
  • renomedphysrenomedphys Posts: 3,599 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't know about the Die State exactly, but I can observe that it has almost no trace of die deterioration behind the head, coming off the 13th star. I should really study this stuff.

• BigMooseBigMoose Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭

That is very nice for an 1809. I am guessing PCGS called it AU58. It does have some rub and a few patches of porosity. Best of luck finding one this nice. The best 1809 I have ever seen is the Naftzger-Tom Reynolds coin, PCGS 64BN which sold at the Goldberg's Sale in Jan., 2016. It brought $129,250.00!! There has never been one certified in PCGS RB.

TomT-1794

Check out some of my 1794 Large Cents on www.coingallery.org
  • DoubleEagle59DoubleEagle59 Posts: 8,275 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not much early copper grading experience for me, so I'll hazard an au58 guess.

"Gold is money, and nothing else" (JP Morgan, 1912)

"“Those who sacrifice liberty for security/safety deserve neither.“(Benjamin Franklin)

"I only golf on days that end in 'Y'" (DE59)
  • BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭

AU55 and a really nice example.

To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • thebeavthebeav Posts: 3,781 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's beaut !
    I'm going with a 61.......

• coinkatcoinkat Posts: 23,024 ✭✭✭✭✭

Beautiful example... I am thinking 58 from the images. The reverse looks MS in the image so maybe I am looking too harshly at the obverse. It is an amazing planchet

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,892 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 27, 2017 5:15PM

"Naturally, I took notice of the 1809 cent, because hey, I am at the core, a Lincoln Cent guy. (why is this relevant?)"

Because Lincoln was born in 1809? LOL.

What a great example! Only one die marriage for that year, the S-280, also known as the "Blowsy Barmaid". Beats the crap out of my old ANACS photo cert (V8/F12).

Congratulations on a great pick-up. AU55?
    Lance.

• jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,694 ✭✭✭✭✭

The obverse has a sharper strike, more detail on the stars than the AU58 that I bought from Tom, and less die erosion. The reverse is comparable but without any red. I'm guessing MS62+

Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • bolivarshagnastybolivarshagnasty Posts: 7,350 ✭✭✭✭✭

Dentil issue above LIBERTY and weak UNITED net grades to AU58+?

• vplitevplite Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭

Copper has never done it for me, but that is a beauty. I'm thinking a high AU grade.

The Golden Rule: Those with the gold make the rules.
  • ElcontadorElcontador Posts: 7,512 ✭✭✭✭✭

The U.S. could not import the copper planchet material from England between 1812 and 1814, so many coins of this series were not struck up well. You need to be familiar with the die marriage of these coins to be able to grade them properly.
    After having an expensive pre-1815 copper develop PVC on me in holder, I will not buy one unless it's in a PCGS OGH or 1st generation holder, as this tells me that the coin is stable.

"Vou invadir o Nordeste,
    "Seu cabra da peste,
    "Sou Mangueira......."
  • goldengolden Posts: 9,494 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice coin.

• Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭✭

Spectacular for a classic head, especially so for an ‘09.
    Well done!

Successful BST transactions with 171 members. Ebeneezer, Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • coin4salecoin4sale Posts: 375 ✭✭✭

Attractive! Enjoy! from pics , au55?

BT&C
  • What they said. Tough coin and I like the blue too.

Successful BST deals with mustangt and jesbroken. Now EVERYTHING is for sale.

• BruceSBruceS Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭✭✭

You don't see these everyday, in the that holder I would say 58, and a solid example no matter what gen holder it's in. Wow.

eBay ID-bruceshort978
    Successful BST:here and ATS, bumanchu, wdrob, hashtag, KeeNoooo, mikej61, Yonico, Meltdown, BAJJERFAN, Excaliber, lordmarcovan, cucamongacoin, robkool, bradyc, tonedcointrader, mumu, Windycity, astrotrain, tizofthe, overdate, rwyarmch, mkman123, Timbuk3,GBurger717, airplanenut, coinkid855 ,illini420, michaeldixon, Weiss, Morpheus, Deepcoin, Collectorcoins, AUandAG, D.Schwager.
  • lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,892 ✭✭✭✭✭

@bolivarshagnasty said:
    Dentil issue above LIBERTY and weak UNITED net grades to AU58+?

Maybe with today's reconsideration 'shagnasty. I'm pretty sure there are no 58+'s in OGH's.

I like it as a 58 but I think PCGS graded it 55 years ago.
    Lance.

• MikeInFLMikeInFL Posts: 10,188 ✭✭✭✭

Exceedingly hard coin to find that nice.

I want to say 62 but 58 OGH wouldn’t surprise me.

Collector of Large Cents, US Type, and modern pocket change.
  • HoledandCreativeHoledandCreative Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭✭✭

AU63

• lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,512 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow, that's a super sweet Classic Head cent!

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • alohagaryalohagary Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭✭

Very nice

• 1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,778 ✭✭✭✭✭

Pretty coin :smile:
    Congrats :smile:

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• giorgio11giorgio11 Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭✭✭

MS55. :o

Kind regards,

George

VDBCoins.com Our Registry Sets Many successful BSTs; pls ask.
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would say 55-58..... Very nice cent... it has - how can I say it - a bit of 'vibrancy' to it... at least in the pictures.... That is a cent that would get my attention.... Cheers, RickO

• ashelandasheland Posts: 23,104 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice coin. Looks 62 to me.

• BobSavBobSav Posts: 935 ✭✭✭

Very nice indeed, PSGS on a good day 58
    Bob

Past transactions with:
    Lordmarcovan, WTCG, YogiBerraFan, Phoenin21, LindeDad, Coll3ctor, blue594, robkoll, Mike Dixon, BloodMan, Flakthat and others.
  • shorecollshorecoll Posts: 5,445 ✭✭✭✭✭

PCGS 58, Noyes grade VF- Scudzy (EAC inside joke there)...Love it.

I have a decent fine and one that looks like she was shot in the face with an upland game shotgun shell.

ANA-LM, NBS, EAC
  • BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭

I missed the OGH part and feel it could be in AU53 holder?

The obverse on this cent design reminds me of when every woman in the 1980's cut their hair and wore headbands right after Olivia Newton John's "Physical" video aired :p

To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • CatbertCatbert Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭✭✭

My guess is 55 if in OGH. Pics may not show luster well. I don't see the dentil reference earlier being a big issue with the graders for a coin of this vintage.

Great coin!!!

"Got a flaming heart, can't get my fill"
  • coinhackcoinhack Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭✭

I would guess AU55. I like this coin a lot. Any Classic Head cent is difficult and expensive to find nice and this coin is very very nice.

• CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,997 ✭✭✭✭✭

Pretty!

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • joebb21joebb21 Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭✭✭

may the fonz be with you...always...
  • OldIndianNutKaseOldIndianNutKase Posts: 2,700 ✭✭✭✭✭

55?

• braddickbraddick Posts: 23,805 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am mesmorized by how delightful this coin looks. Can't even fathom a guess on grade.

peacockcoins

• BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well, finding a nice Classic head type coin is a chore as you say. I’m thinking AU55, but it’s a really nice one.

• renomedphysrenomedphys Posts: 3,599 ✭✭✭✭✭

So, all you guys that said AU55, you were right. The OGH is what I call the “short letters” type, one of the later varieties.

I personally feel that the coin is properly graded. That said, a current 60-63 grade would not surprise me. This is the old numismatist talking. The one that actually prefers unusually awesome AUs over ugly MS every day of the week. The one that searches for unusual, standout coins in terms of quality, and not a grade set in plastic. The one we probably all wish we could go back to being, back when collecting was more generally “fun”.

Thanks for all your great comments.

• PurfrockPurfrock Posts: 545 ✭✭✭

A very nice classic head. Well done on that piece!

EAC, ANA Member
  • Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭✭

I saw it listed on CoinFacts in the AU55 OGH from a long ago auction, so I didn't give an opinion in my first post, and was hoping it was still in that holder, rather being resubmitted.
    I agree, it would likely warrant a higher grade today.

Successful BST transactions with 171 members. Ebeneezer, Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • RichieURichRichieURich Posts: 8,445 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow, that is a very nice 1809 cent! Congratulations!

An authorized PCGS dealer, and a contributor to the Red Book.

• DRUNNERDRUNNER Posts: 3,840 ✭✭✭✭✭

I do believe numismatists will now and always view and understand the Classic Large Cents are some of the most challenging pieces to ever get in decent shape, let alone higher grade.

I sold two VF20 PCGS examples to a notable CA dealer a few years ago for about 30% above PCGS values and I am sure he turned them within 30 minutes.

I look at every show for Doilies first . . . and Classic Large Cents second . . . . .

A beautiful coin . . . . . .

Drunner

• RayboRaybo Posts: 5,304 ✭✭✭✭✭

Tough coin!
    I actually sold an 1814 to a fellow member that I thought was nice but it pales compared to your coin.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file