Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

USPS P.O. Box "Informed Delivery" Online Notification Service

BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited December 3, 2017 9:34AM in U.S. Coin Forum

So USPS is finally moving forward into the 21st century offering a pretty cool new free service for P.O. Box users.

Lets say Billy Bob states he's sending you a check on Monday, but he's a slacker and doesn't do so till Saturday.

Or John Doe says he'll provide tracking info on your new purchase once shipped, but never does.

Well now instead of running to your POB a couple times anticipating the potential arrival of either you just sign up for the "Informed Delivery" service.

USPS will provide an image of every entire envelope or parcel shipping label as they scan and place it in your box.

You just log in and you can see all the mail they placed into your box on any given day from Monday to Saturday.

To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!

Comments

• Options
    BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,882 ✭✭✭✭✭

well thats cool

• Options

Yeah I thought so too and just signed up this morning.

• Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not only for PO boxes, but I've had that available for my regular mail deliveries for about 8 month. Every AM, I receive scans of what will be delivered that day.

"Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    KudbegudKudbegud Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 3, 2017 9:46AM

Here's the link :https://informeddelivery.usps.com/box/pages/intro/start.action

I love this service. It's an updating to the previous "Package Tracking" service. I changed my email to the more reliable Gmail but since the USPS made the move to this new service I get fewer email alerts. But...it's a quick one site check to see the status of all your mail with a tracking number even if an email isn't received.

My advice is to add any tracking numbers you get from merchants who alert you with one. When I don't, some numbers don't associate with me for some reason and the package arrives with the number never appearing on the tracking list.

• Options
    jessewvujessewvu Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭✭✭

I signed up for that a year or two ago. Problem is that you get notifications of junk mail too :(

I don't care if Uline sends me a catalog.

• Options
    jessewvujessewvu Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭✭✭

When i signed up for it, the post master hadn't heard of it. I have taught the postal folks MANY things over the years. They like me a lot as i always buy the post office a few dozen donuts around this time of year and give my favorite clerks gift cards.

• Options
    GRANDAMGRANDAM Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭✭✭

Informed Delivery Enrollment Status
    You have a valid address Your ZIP Code is not eligible Verify your identity online
    Click here if you received a validation code in the mail
    **Your address is not eligible for Informed Delivery. **We update our lists weekly, please try again next week.

GrandAm :)
  • Options
    YQQYQQ Posts: 3,281 ✭✭✭✭✭

wish Canada Post would have such a service. But they are busy with other " very important improvements to service us better". Llike working hard on more price increases.

Today is the first day of the rest of my life
  • Options
    Mission16Mission16 Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭

@jessewvu said:
    I signed up for that a year or two ago. Problem is that you get notifications of junk mail too :(

I don't care if Uline sends me a catalog.

One mans junk is another mans treasure.

I actually like to know ALL of my incoming mail. Won’t miss anything that wsy

• Options
    edited December 3, 2017 12:39PM

@GRANDAM said:
    Informed Delivery Enrollment Status
    You have a valid address Your ZIP Code is not eligible Verify your identity online
    Click here if you received a validation code in the mail
    **Your address is not eligible for Informed Delivery. **We update our lists weekly, please try again next week.

This was an anomaly posted in a prior thread along the same lines.
    I actually tried to track down why some Zip Codes aren't eligible. Made several phone calls and emails. Heard back from a Honolulu customer service type who tried to help. I say tried because he did get back to me. Not that he had an answer but to tell me I had to submit my question to the massive Black Hole bureaucracy in Washington DC.

Not gonna do it. Your guess is as good as any to why some Zip Codes aren't eligible.

Maybe Mr. Potato Head will have a better answer than the potato heads in DC.

• Options

It makes no sense,,,,Zip Code not available,

The above reject statement is for my PO Box, I get informed delivery for my home address with the same Zip Code???????

• Options
    BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,419 ✭✭✭✭✭

Some P.O. Boxes have different Zip Codes than residential delivery.

Go to USPS.COM and click on "find a Zip Code". Type in your P.O. box number for the address and see what comes back.

If the Zip is different.........use it

I can't think of anything else to suggest.............I retired from that "Madhouse" years ago.

Pete

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon
  • Options
    knightemknightem Posts: 125 ✭✭✭

@GRANDAM said:

The above reject statement is for my PO Box, I get informed delivery for my home address with the same Zip Code???????

Is your PO Box for a business? Businesses are not eligible for the service; only residential is allowed. If your PO Box is not affiliated with a business, maybe USPS lumps PO Boxes in with businesses.

• Options
    edited December 3, 2017 11:42PM

@knightem said:

@GRANDAM said:

Is your PO Box for a business? Businesses are not eligible for the service; only residential is allowed. If your PO Box is not affiliated with a business, maybe USPS lumps PO Boxes in with businesses.

That may be it,,,,,, Thanks,,,

• Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,313 ✭✭✭✭✭

Some residential don't have this ability yet.....
    I know some "neighbors", within about 8 miles that have been able to do this for almost a year, but I checked then, and again just now, and my address (residential) is not available to receive this service yet :(

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    knightemknightem Posts: 125 ✭✭✭

It's too bad, because that service would be helpful to know when you have to go to the PO to pick up!

• Options

Worked for me as I just received my first notfication today :)

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have been using this for about a year.... maybe a little less.... also, I get notice of package deliveries.... Nice to look at my email in the morning and know what to expect later that day (mail, for me, comes at about 4pm). Cheers, RickO

• Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,718 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's about time. I have only had "something will be delivered today" notifications up to now for my PO box, but home delivery has had pictures of junk mail and tracking number text message notifications for a few months. This will help in the cases of mail was left in an oversized locker without a key in my normal box, the pink claim check was put in someone else's box, or no claim check was left. I should no longer have to ask people to send me tracking numbers all the time.

• Options
    ModCrewmanModCrewman Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭✭✭

We've had it for about a month. My assumption was I was notified of it as a result of having as USPS.com account...maybe that's a qualifying factor. Is anyone getting it without a USPS.com account?

• Options
    edited December 4, 2017 11:19AM

When you sign up for notifications you are signing up for a USPS account.

The question with out an answer is why a Zip Code is not eligible for tracking? Especially when a POBox in the same Zip Code works for progress emails or text messages. Don't think very hard about this or your head may explode.

• Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,935 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have been doing this since summertime...however...it is a real pain in the backside to get the address changed..."Service Not Available".

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    edited December 6, 2017 6:35AM

First new coin purchase arrival alert received :)

Really digging this email service each morning.

It's really detailed down to the old stamps the dealer used :smiley:

• Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,718 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Kudbegud said:
    When you sign up for notifications you are signing up for a USPS account.

The question with out an answer is why a Zip Code is not eligible for tracking? Especially when a POBox in the same Zip Code works for progress emails or text messages. Don't think very hard about this or your head may explode.

Ack! Ack ack. Ack, ACK ACK ACK!

My PO Box ZIP code isn't eligible for informed delivery, either. When I was talking with a USPS support person on the phone regarding problems with Click 'n' Ship, I asked about it, and they said that "headquarters" would know why, and that more ZIP codes are being added every week. I dropped it there.

• Options
    edited December 6, 2017 1:44PM

@messydesk said:
    >
    >
    Ack! Ack ack. Ack, ACK ACK ACK!

My PO Box ZIP code isn't eligible for informed delivery, either. When I was talking with a USPS support person on the phone regarding problems with Click 'n' Ship, I asked about it, and they said that "headquarters" would know why, and that more ZIP codes are being added every week. I dropped it there.

You were wise to drop it and think no more on the subject. If you start to hear Slim Whitman's "Indian Love Call" as you contemplate the logic of the USPS you must STOP immediately, depart the area as quickly as possible, cover your ears and say out loud "NA NA NA NA NA" or you risk the fate of the poor Martian depicted above. End Public Service Announcement. That is all.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=GSbigjiKLoU

• Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

Personally I think it's ridiculous the USPS taking pictures of your mail and emailing it to you! Dang...if they could only keep the tracking updated and accurate I would be happy!

• Options
    jt88jt88 Posts: 2,872 ✭✭✭✭✭

I tried to sign up, this is what I got: As a business user you are not eligible to participate in the Informed Delivery program. If you want to participate, please create a new USPS account and register as a personal user.

• Options
    jt88jt88 Posts: 2,872 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't even know that I setup the USPS account as business user.

• Options
    edited December 6, 2017 5:16PM

@amwldcoin said:
    Personally I think it's ridiculous the USPS taking pictures of your mail and emailing it to you! Dang...if they could only keep the tracking updated and accurate I would be happy!

They don't take a picture of your mail, they just send an email or text message of mile stones along the way. Like this:

This is what you see when you go to the "Informed Delivery" page and click on a tracking number. The email you'd get would just say "Arrived @ xyz" Or "Departed xyz"

• Options
    daltexdaltex Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

They do for some pieces.

• Options
    BackroadJunkieBackroadJunkie Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭✭✭

Oh look. A thread already exists on this. Did you know that prior to a couple of weeks ago, anyone with a little investigative skills could have signed up to see what mail you're going to get, without you knowing it?

On krebsonsecurity.com:

krebsonsecurity: Oct 2, 2017, USPS ‘Informed Delivery’ Is Stalker’s Dream

(I still follow a couple of computer security blogs, and Krebs is the real deal. Some don't like him, but he does some good work...)

Anyway, starting a couple of weeks ago, if someone signs up using your address, a snail-mail letter will be sent to your household.

krebsonsecurity: Feb 26, 2018, USPS Finally Starts Notifying You by Mail If Someone is Scanning Your Snail Mail Online

So bottom line, if you get some generic looking piece of mail from the postal service, don't ignore it, especially if you still do a lot of business through the mail...

• Options
    blu62vetteblu62vette Posts: 11,901 ✭✭✭✭✭

They have the sig up in my PO but when I sign up it says unavailable. Oh well.

http://www.bluccphotos.com" target="new">BluCC Photos Shows for onsite imaging: Nov Baltimore, FUN, Long Beach http://www.facebook.com/bluccphotos" target="new">BluCC on Facebook

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file