Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1871-CC Seated Liberty Quarter Counterfeit - How was this made?

Authentic 1871 - CCs have mint marks with wide spacing between the two "c"s with one "c" on each side of the bottom arrow quiver. This counterfeit has a no space in between the cc mint mark directly under the last arrow quiver.

My guess is the coin has the correct weight and silver composition for a seated liberty quarter, so can anyone speculate on how it was made? Best phone pics I could get here. The phone pic gives it a golden hue, but the coin does has an expected silver appearance and tone.

Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,564 ✭✭✭✭✭

Appears to be modern Chinese die-struck counterfeit.

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

The graininess makes it look like a cast counterfeit. The obverse could be cast from a Philadelphia coin while the reverse might be from another Carson City Mint quarter issue. This would not be the first time that a counterfeiter used the mismatched images to make a rarity. The trouble is you have to be an expert in the series to notice the placement of the “CC” is wrong without going to “Coin Facts” or some other site with photos of the real thing.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BillJones said: "The graininess makes it look like a cast counterfeit."

While this is true: "looks cast,'" the coin is probably 99.9% die struck. The Chinese have not been casting this type of fake for probably a decade at the least. The only way to prove this is a cast is to look for the characteristics we see on those coins - such as the graininess you mention. However, this thing is so crude that if it were a cast, there would be a large raised seam on its edge. Possibly something the OP would have noticed.

I've heard that the same thing was going on in the 1970's. The DIE STRUCK gold counterfeits were so crude that all the so-called "expert authenticators" were calling them casts because they didn't know better!

• Options
    topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

Created from the finest sand. Dew picked and flown from Iraq, cleansed in finest quality spring water.

:)

• Options
    edited November 29, 2017 1:02PM

Let's put this way. From the photos, the surfaces are bad enough for me not to want to get involved with it.

Here it is after I messed with the photos. If that is a Chinese die struck counterfeit, it's poor one. It sill looks like it was hatched from a mold to me.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,544 ✭✭✭✭✭

Date font is way off, I suspect these dies were homemade and not chinese.

Interesting for sure.
    bob :)

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options

Until I see the edge, it is die struck. IMO, the only characteristic on this piece that remotely resembles a cast is the "cut" in the denticals to the right of the "A" in America.

BTW, I really, really, truly hope the coin turns out to be a cast after all. LOL, helps keep me humble. B)

Remember, a clock is exactly correct two times out of eighty-six thousand, four hundred times a day! :wink:

• Options

I saw the spot above the "A" also, and that confirmed my opinion that it's a cast, but until you get to handle the thing you never know. We can all agree IT'S BAD.

• Options
    mvs7mvs7 Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Insider2 said:
    Remember, a clock is exactly correct two times out of eighty-six thousand, four hundred times a day! :wink:

If you just break off the second hand from your clock, you'd be sixty times more accurate. ;)

• Options
    edited November 29, 2017 3:05PM

@BillJones said: "I saw the spot above the "A" also, and that confirmed my opinion that it's a cast, but until you get to handle the thing you never know. We can all agree IT'S BAD."

Actually a low power image of the edge or a high power image of its surface would be enough for some of us.

Allow me to post some things for you to consider:

1. In virtually every case of a casting this crude there are round lumps next to the relief.
    2. When a cast is made, it copies the coin's design. Note how nice the main devices (Eagle/Liberty) look. Now, check out the shape of the date. Bingo. Typical Chinese style. This indicates that several dies exist to strike counterfeits having different dates. :)
  • Options

Tried to capture a feature on the edge that might help identify the method.

Thanks for the input everyone!

• Options
    partagaspartagas Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November 29, 2017 5:56PM

These are very plentiful, unfortunately. I have seen 1872-s, and 1885 seated quarters with similar appearance. The dead giveaway is the dates are always horribily cast/struck. Link to 1885 quarter on the bay recently.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1885-US-Quarter-My-local-dealer-says-its-a-high-qaulity-restrike-weighs5-75gram/322902648301?_trkparms=aid=222007&algo=SIM.MBE&ao=1&asc=41376&meid=cc67ce4c3f544f8f8f9cbbc22a948edc&pid=100011&rk=2&rkt=12&sd=322892802138&_trksid=p2047675.c100011.m1850

If I say something in the woods, and my wife isn't around. Am I still wrong?
  • Options
    BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,876 ✭✭✭✭✭

What is the backstory? How did you acquire th coin?

• Options

A relative who has since past gave my son a few odd ball coins and some 2 dollar bills several years ago. I only came across it when I was cleaning out his backpack recently and found the group of coins and bills in a small plastic bag tucked away in some obscure pocket.

The relative was not involved in numismatics, so no idea how they came across it. I'm sure they didn't pay anything for it as they would not have been inclined to pay more than .25 cents for any quarter.

I had collected for years as a kid, so I knew enough to figure out this was a counterfeit after a little research. Still have everything I collected when I was younger, so we will add to the collection with its interesting side story.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Humbaby.... Welcome aboard.... Interesting counterfeit.... I tend to lean towards cast from the pictures... but the experts here are working toward a conclusion.... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,876 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thats one backstory on these boards that I actually believe

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file