Home Precious Metals
Options

Need some free advice.

CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,548 ✭✭✭✭✭

A friend of my sister who knows I used to be in the coin business has some 90% junk silver and wants to know if this is a good time to sell or not. I have no idea.

Looking at the spot price charts I see it is fairy stagnant. How are the premiums?

Any gut feelings on what it might do in the next six months?

Thanks.

TD

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.

Comments

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 25, 2017 2:12PM

Premiums suck right now on 90% silver as a seller. As for market direction no idea

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    giorgio11giorgio11 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

I wish I had a dollar for every time I've been wrong about the PM markets in my life. Is she making a decent profit? Or is she underwater? The former, sell, the latter, sell only if she needs the money now. Good luck Tom.

Kind regards,

George

VDBCoins.com Our Registry Sets Many successful BSTs; pls ask.
  • Options
    VanHalenVanHalen Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭✭✭

If they need the cash now it's a good time to sell. :)

• Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,198 ✭✭✭✭✭

sell it on the BST for her

Keep an open mind, or get financially repressed -Zoltan Pozsar

• Options
    Jinx86Jinx86 Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭✭✭

Awful time to be a seller. Id hold and wait unless cash was needed. Many dealers are paying $1 back of spot on small quantities.

• Options
    DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,305 ✭✭✭✭✭

Probably get the same bucks today and the six months from now.

• Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,536 ✭✭✭✭✭

Stagnant is the word for sure. Advice? Well, the premiums have shrunk but sure is easy to sell. BST is the easiest way and no fees.

bob

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would recommend the BST if she wants to sell now.... PM's will likely remain relatively stable for a while.... a market crash could change that, however, it does not seem likely in the near term. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Jinx86 said:
    Awful time to be a seller. Id hold and wait unless cash was needed. Many dealers are paying $1 back of spot on small quantities.

Agree.

• Options
    mkman123mkman123 Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭✭

If you can't find someone locally, then definitely go the bst route. No fees and you can get top dollar

Successful Buying and Selling transactions with:

Many members on this forum that now it cannot fit in my signature. Please ask for entire list.
  • Options
    KkathylKkathyl Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭✭✭

It’s a buyers market wait till March or next rate hike from Feds

Best place to buy !
    Bronze Associate member

• Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭

@mkman123 said:
    If you can't find someone locally, then definitely go the bst route. No fees and you can get top dollar

I agree with your no fees statement, but getting top dollars is wishful thinking.

"Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,415 ✭✭✭✭✭

@OPA said:

@mkman123 said:

I agree with your no fees statement, but getting top dollars is wishful thinking.

You'll usually do better on the BST than selling in many other venues including selling to coin dealers and bullion dealers. If you don't get your ask price you haven't lost anything other than some time.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options

@Jinx86 said:

I wish my crystal ball was as clear. What makes you think that this is not a great time to sell. What if prices continue to decline as they have for the past 7 years?

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,201 ✭✭✭✭✭

@AUandAG said:

@Jinx86 said:

I wish my crystal ball was as clear. What makes you think that this is not a great time to sell. What if prices continue to decline as they have for the past 7 years?

Quite realistic
    I'm buying
    I'll post when selling

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    edited November 28, 2017 10:08AM

@AUandAG said:

@Jinx86 said:

What if they don't continue to decline? What are the odds of each direction? There is no crystal ball. There is a careful calculation based on odds of a potential event that can push or pull on price.

• Options

Personally I believe that the decline is almost certain. I've said many times before that the bottom is $8.50......Just my wild arse guess.

bob :)

• Options
    KkathylKkathyl Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have seen the trend for several years and as far a premium over spot spread it is always better at end of 1st qtr but since she does not hedge, it seems with the market heating up no time like the present. Yet again, we may see a shift if congress keeps being idiots and fumble the tax plan. (already in process)

Best place to buy !
    Bronze Associate member

• Options

Many people are saying that the chances of a government shut down increased today. If one does happen, I would expect the dollar to go down and precious metals to go up, but I have been wrong before.

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    dpooledpoole Posts: 5,940 ✭✭✭✭✭

Such turmoil these days, nationally and internationally!

The only things that have been stable are PM prices.

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,837 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's a good time. The market isn't going anywhere. Is it ? The margins are thin. They will forever be.

• Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

If she has a better use for the cash than having a pile (how big?) of junk silver, she should sell it and put the money to use another way. Any sentimental attachment? How greedy for every cent? How much time/life energy to devote to the transaction(s)?

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    VanHalenVanHalen Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭✭✭

@AUandAG said:
    Personally I believe that the decline is almost certain. I've said many times before that the bottom is $8.50......Just my wild arse guess.

Single digits, at least momentarily, in the next few years would not be a surprise. Being able to buy any physical at that level would be a surprise.

• Options

I think that there will be the same opportunity to buy at single digits. We sure bought before when it was 6 or 8 or 3.50. Always going to be traders. At least I don't see why not.

• Options

@Baley said:
    If she has a better use for the cash than having a pile (how big?) of junk silver, she should sell it and put the money to use another way. Any sentimental attachment? How greedy for every cent? How much time/life energy to devote to the transaction(s)?

Ballpark $1,000 face in 90% pulled from circulation in the mid-1960's, plus some 40% and maybe some Canadian silver. From what I know of the family, probably unsearched.

• Options
    dennis1219dennis1219 Posts: 267 ✭✭✭

I agree that silver could conceivably drop to $10 or below. I am a buyer at anything below 18. Keep dropping. Silver is long term... maybe 5-10 years... but nobody really knows for sure.

• Options
    edited November 30, 2017 10:46AM

hold and wait for the next rush of PM speculators. They have been distracted but they'll be back.

• Options
    cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,621 ✭✭✭✭✭

Every generation enjoys a PM rally.

Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear

• Options
    tneigtneig Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭

I enjoyed a bit of selling on the recent $18 spike and waiting for the next one and will take advantage of the short-lived flurry.

COA
  • Options
    topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 3, 2017 3:57PM

I dumped most of mine.
    The only silver I see as worth owning or buying is Silver American Eagles and TEN oz bars.
    Nix on one ounce rounds or 90%

IMO

And even then, I see no reason to expect SILVER to do anything lasting or consistent.

• Options

@cohodk said:
    Every generation enjoys a PM rally.

every PM rally enjoys a pessimist

• Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

Consider it a savings account. If she needs the money, sell some. If she doesn't need the money, hold. With a mid-1960's cost basis (i.e., face value), she should pay much more attention to the tax consequences than to the actual selling price.

Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,837 ✭✭✭✭✭

If this is a rally, I’d hate to hear a pep talk.