Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Is there any chopmarked gold?

topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

Don't make me Google it. :D

Like to know if there is if it's foreign or US. I'd guess foreign, but who knows?

Comments

• Options
    BruceSBruceS Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not sure what the metal content is, but its gold in color.

eBay ID-bruceshort978
    Successful BST:here and ATS, bumanchu, wdrob, hashtag, KeeNoooo, mikej61, Yonico, Meltdown, BAJJERFAN, Excaliber, lordmarcovan, cucamongacoin, robkool, bradyc, tonedcointrader, mumu, Windycity, astrotrain, tizofthe, overdate, rwyarmch, mkman123, Timbuk3,GBurger717, airplanenut, coinkid855 ,illini420, michaeldixon, Weiss, Morpheus, Deepcoin, Collectorcoins, AUandAG, D.Schwager.
  • Options
    TennesseeDaveTennesseeDave Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭✭✭

There's a picture of a chopmarked $20 in the Chopmark mini summit thread.

Trade $'s
  • Options
    ColonelJessupColonelJessup Posts: 6,442 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 21, 2017 11:58AM

Brasher doubloons? Also, skip Google but do some homework on HA archives "regulated gold".

On the other hand, if you're trolling for pictures and snippets, who's to argue? :)

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - Geo. Orwell
  • Options
    BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,871 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BruceS said:
    Not sure what the metal content is, but its gold in color.

Spanish milled 8 reales is silver

• Options
    mvs7mvs7 Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Boosibri said:
    Spanish milled 8 reales is silver

@BruceS - Your photo is just not white balanced... that's what's accounting for the "gold" hue of the photo, but that is a silver coin as Boosibri stated. You can make a "gold" Washington Quarter by the same "technique." ;)

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,443 ✭✭✭✭✭

I remember that at a major coin show many years ago there was an exhibit showing chop marked coins and there was a US $10 gold Liberty with a few very small chop marks. I still remember it because I'd never seen a gold coin with chop marks and I haven't seen one since.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    OriginalDanOriginalDan Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've been offered a couple different U.S. $10 gold pieces, one raw and one in a PCGS holder labeled "Chopmarked". In my opinion, both had marks in the fields but neither had marks that I would consider legitimate marks placed by Chinese merchants in the period we generally accept that Chopmarks were applied. I could definitely be wrong. If they weren't so dang expensive (mainly for gold content, and one was a CC), I would have picked up at least one of them as a curiosity.

You have to remember that gold was not part of the Chinese monetary system and wasn't used for business. Some believe that there are legitimately chopmarked gold pieces, and there probably are, but one must be very, very skeptical if you're looking to find a gold coin that was chopmarked by a chinese merchant in the 1700's or 1800's. That mark could very well have been applied 20 years ago, or could be damage that happens to kinda sorta look like a chinese character.

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

Do the ones Glicker bites count?

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    DDRDDR Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have a gold Venician Francesco Erizzo Zechino (1631-1646) with a clear, bold chopmark on the obverse. Sorry, no pic. However, the "chopmark" may be Persian, rather than Chinese.

• Options
    CryptoCrypto Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 21, 2017 5:38PM

Lots of gold coins were chopped, tested, marked or regulated for inclusion into the local
    Economies of many countries. If the question if the Chinese took park on a large scale the question would be no, if a few pieces hit their metal markets and were branded I would guess so. I have just never seen an unequivocally convincing example of American coinage to have had it happen to.

• Options
    WeissWeiss Posts: 9,935 ✭✭✭✭✭

One I posted in a thread a few weeks back. Bears a drill / cut mark sometimes referred to as a "trifoil" mark:

We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have not seen a chop marked gold coin.... I have seen a couple with the 'drill' mark and a couple with edge cuts. I would not automatically attribute these to the Chinese market, although it is certainly possible. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    TLeverageTLeverage Posts: 259 ✭✭✭

Multiple chopmarked gold pieces existed in the Rose collection, including U.S. gold of both the $10 and $20 denomination, but whether or not those marks were applied in the typical date range of genuine chops is anyone's guess. I believe at least one or two specimens to be likely genuine.

Echoing OriginalDan, gold was not a conventional medium of exchange in China, and thus is unlikely to be found chopped.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file