Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

How much premium are you willing to pay for any particular label?

ParadisefoundParadisefound Posts: 8,588 ✭✭✭✭✭

How much premium are you willing to pay for any particular label? Will these special labels as added value be realized later on resale? I particularly like the "Black diamond" buffalo labels for my buffalos; they look better in collection but it command almost $200 more for the same exact coin compare to "Flag".
Thank you for your input.

Comments

• Options
    CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 18, 2017 9:44AM

I pay perhaps a ten percent premium for pedigrees of Green, Pittman and Eliasberg.

Zero extra for signatures of the various mint directors, First strikes and chazerie like that.

• Options
    RogerBRogerB Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭✭✭

Zero. Zip. Nada.
    Those who collect paper labels and plastic holders might feel differently.

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,945 ✭✭✭✭✭

Zero.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't buy special labels for any price at all. Nor any types of coins for which special labels are made, for that matter.

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    CryptoCrypto Posts: 3,414 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not much but a bit. I am aware on the down the road affect of increased liquidity

• Options
    CameonutCameonut Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

Zero

“In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." - Thomas Jefferson

My digital cameo album 1950-64 Cameos - take a look!

• Options
    WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,976 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 18, 2017 11:16AM

A slight premium for a special label and a little more still for a rare slab.

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,858 ✭✭✭✭✭

The answer lies in the collector’s wallet.

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

I only pay premiums when the coin is nice and I REALLY need it for a set. Previous owners are nice to know, but paying big bucks for them is not part of my strategy.

I once knew a collector who would traded higher grade coins for lower grade coins of the sale issue if the lower grade piece had been owned by a famous collector. He was actually able to pry some coins out of museum collections that way. The museum was willing to trade the lower grade coin for the higher grade piece.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,011 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DCW said:
    Zero.
    As a matter of fact, I'd probably pay LESS. I like the standard holder so much more. I really feel like it cheapens the brand by doing all this gimmicky stuff.
    One day the bottom will fall out of all this special holder nonsense, "First Strike" included.

I think especially "First Strike", since the "First STrike" could well have been the last actual strike.

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,911 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 19, 2017 4:11AM

I've paid for sample slabs so that puts me in the $20 range.

Of course, that's worse than getting a special label, because those coins aren't even graded! :D

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,911 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 19, 2017 4:29AM

@BillJones said:
    I once knew a collector who would traded higher grade coins for lower grade coins of the sale issue if the lower grade piece had been owned by a famous collector. He was actually able to pry some coins out of museum collections that way. The museum was willing to trade the lower grade coin for the higher grade piece.

Good to know. I've been wondering how to get pieces from some museums.

• Options
    ECHOESECHOES Posts: 2,974 ✭✭✭✭✭

I purchased the label for this one, the coin is a dog.

~HABE FIDUCIAM IN DOMINO III V VI / III XVI~
    POST NUBILA PHOEBUS / AFTER CLOUDS, SUN
    Love for Music / Collector of Dreck
  • Options
    GluggoGluggo Posts: 3,566 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 19, 2017 8:31AM

" I don't waist my Money on Labels! "

:) Ohhhhh that felt good! >:)

I always wanted to say that after all those that ribbed me for paying on those UGLY Green Philly Labels

• Options
    hiijackerhiijacker Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭

How much do NGC NLF Gen 3 & 4 go for?

Say a common peace dollar in 64

Buyer of all vintage Silver Bars. PM me
    Cashback from Mr. Rebates
  • Options
    cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,062 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 30, 2017 9:42PM

$0. If it is pedigreed to some insignificant collection or the promotional label too corny, it would have negative value to me as I would factor in the cost of a reholder in any purchasing decision.

• Options
    koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nothing.

• Options
    ColonelJessupColonelJessup Posts: 6,442 ✭✭✭✭✭

Different answers for generic gold, Early gold, dated gold, circ type, proof type, white type, toned type, MS68 Morgans, CAC and etc.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - Geo. Orwell
  • Options
    Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭

$20.99

Hoard the keys.
  • Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,305 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think I have paid ~$10-$15 extra for a label.....when I was getting coins graded by PCGS and wanted the FIRST STRIKE label put on them.....

As for paying for labels already on a coin? Nope....I'll pay a certain price and, if it is available at that price with the label I am fine with, then I'll buy.

Now, there ARE labels that make it so I won't buy a coin...that's the, pardon the pun, flipside of the question ;)

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,875 ✭✭✭✭✭

I love the liquidity which comes with the OGH's. For copper I see a strong reason to pay a premium for older holders given the belief that the surfaces are more stable. If it was red 30 years ago, good chance it is stable today.

• Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,644 ✭✭✭✭✭

Zero.

I pay /bid a pct of what I think can the coin sell the coin for.

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • Options
    AblinkyAblinky Posts: 625 ✭✭✭

Modern coins in different labels are just dogs with a different set of fleas as Gordon Gekko would say, pedigrees may merit a premium and classic coins in OGHs, Doily's, rattlers, etc.- absolutely merit a premium.

Andrew Blinkiewicz-Heritage

• Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭

$200 extra wasted on paper goods could buy a lot of TP for your bunghole.

To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,911 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 1, 2017 6:35AM

Original Doilies (none of the retro labels) and before, especially SAMPLE Doilies...others...not so much.

The golden rule applies...buy the coin (primarily) not the holder (unless it is rare).

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options

I now have a strong preference for PCGS over NGC. I also do not like PCGS rattle holders. I try to avoid them. As for the rest, I buy the coin and nothing else matters other than the coin.

As for previous onwers, it's nice to know, if they were famous, but I'm not paying for that.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    logger7logger7 Posts: 8,094 ✭✭✭✭✭

Coins that have a strong grade and a cac sticker should command extra interest and money; think of all the hurdles the buyers have had to jump over, to get the coin to certify well and then to get the cac sticker with a 40% success rate. Many buyers have access to cac bids, so they start from that point in their offers, zero risk. The problem is whether the seller can make any money in a buyer's market. And with cac stickered coins with huge spreads in the next higher grade, there should be a premium.

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,523 ✭✭✭✭✭

notta

• Options
    tommy44tommy44 Posts: 2,195 ✭✭✭✭✭

Pedigree maybe, others not so much. I'd really like to have a Pittman $5 Liberty for my set since I knew him when I was a member of the RNA back in the 70s. It would be especially nice to have one that could be attributed to the Farouk sale.

it's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

• Options
    topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

ZERO
    I don't pay extra for nothing! Grrrr..... I want CHEAP! B)

• Options
    edited December 1, 2017 11:24AM

@logger7 said:
    Coins that have a strong grade and a cac sticker should command extra interest and money; think of all the hurdles the buyers have had to jump over, to get the coin to certify well and then to get the cac sticker with a 40% success rate. Many buyers have access to cac bids, so they start from that point in their offers, zero risk. The problem is whether the seller can make any money in a buyer's market. And with cac stickered coins with huge spreads in the next higher grade, there should be a premium.

Putting in an extra effort and spending money on something does not automatically translate into higher prices. The product has to stand on its own.

• Options
    logger7logger7 Posts: 8,094 ✭✭✭✭✭

Though the coin needs to stand on its own merits, I remember the PCGS ad on the high end Morgan dollar that was raw as being an example of "wishful thinking"; in the high end slab though there is a lot of validation. With the cac sticker you have more validation with an active bid market. So with 10 examples of a given coin at the same grade some added validation helps attract added interest.

• Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 1, 2017 12:29PM

I pay for the coin in the slab. If it has a label that demands a premium and the coin is something that doesn't come around too often, I consider it the price of the coin. The additional cost of acquirement has to be within reason of course.

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• Options
    TONEDDOLLARSTONEDDOLLARS Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭✭

GSA............a lot

• Options
    RayboRaybo Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭✭✭

Who lives in a convent?

• Options
    ldhairldhair Posts: 7,131 ✭✭✭✭✭

I love some of the older slabs but as a normal, I'm not going to pay a premium. I might with something like the old large ANACS holders, as long as the coin is something I want.

Larry

• Options

I usually consider the cost of ME having to pay for adding the "extra" certification and folderol and then base my price on what I think is the value of such to me.

Sometimes, it's cheaper and better to pay up (within reason) for something cool and sometimes it's not.

Also....strangely.... :D ... I consider the coin itself as part of the equation. B)

• Options
    cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,062 ✭✭✭✭✭

@topstuf said:

Also....strangely.... :D ... I consider the coin itself as part of the equation. B)

That's heresy among many in the collecting community.

• Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,475 ✭✭✭✭

@Paradisefound said:
    How much premium are you willing to pay for any particular label? Will these special labels as added value be realized later on resale? I particularly like the "Black diamond" buffalo labels for my buffalos; they look better in collection but it command almost $200 more for the same exact coin compare to "Flag".
    Thank you for your input.

I gave up label collecting a LONG time ago and highly recommend that others do as well.

Of course, folks can collect whatever they like it's just that I learned the hard way that labels are meaningless.

Well, unless the label say "Once owned by the King of Siam"!

I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭

You know most of us said no we will not I even said $20 or so but a lot of us do. Just because if it was in a ICG we would pay less for a coin or NGC but when it says PCGS I pay more for them most of the time because I can see the quality of the coins in that holder.

Hoard the keys.
  • Options
    gtstanggtstang Posts: 1,699 ✭✭✭✭✭

For me, it really will depend on what's inside the label as to the premium I will pay.

• Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,294 ✭✭✭✭✭

Depends on the holder - might pay $2000 more for the plastic if I need the coin for my type set.

"My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options

@Lakesammman said:
    Depends on the holder - might pay $2000 more for the plastic if I need the coin for my type set.

Stop making us have to "stop to think about" stuff. ;)

• Options

@BillJones said:
    I now have a strong preference for PCGS over NGC. I also do not like PCGS rattle holders. I try to avoid them. As for the rest, I buy the coin and nothing else matters other than the coin.

As for previous onwers, it's nice to know, if they were famous, but I'm not paying for that.

I noticed a lot of under graded coins in OGH rattler holders; both Peace and Saints. Some MS63 could easily be upgraded by a point but I probably would not cross them and loose the prestige label.

• Options

@Paradisefound said:

@BillJones said:

I noticed a lot of under graded coins in OGH rattler holders; both Peace and Saints. Some MS63 could easily be upgraded by a point but I probably would not cross them and loose the prestige label.

While coins in OGHs are often conservatively graded, that is not an iron clad guarantee than they under graded or properly graded. Once more there are no labels or stickers that are 100% fool proof.

The only sticker with which I have never had a disagreement is Eagle Eye. I have never seen one of their approved coins that I didn’t like, but I must admit that my sample size is not huge, just fairly big.

• Options

@BillJones said:

@Paradisefound said:

@BillJones said:

While coins in OGHs are often conservatively graded, that is not an iron clad guarantee than they under graded or properly graded. Once more there are no labels or stickers that are 100% fool proof.

The only sticker with which I have never had a disagreement is Eagle Eye. I have never seen one of their approved coins that I didn’t like, but I must admit that my sample size is not huge, just fairly big.

I never known the "Eagle Eye" labeling before you mentioned. I will try to learn more about it from PCGS site.
    Here is an active listing from Lawrence.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file